Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Five-star guard Quentin Grimes picks Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

With an elite point guard and two Top 40 big men already signed, sealed and delivered, the Kansas men's basketball program's 2018 recruiting class added another gem on Wednesday, when five-star shooting guard Quentin Grimes orally committed to KU during a ceremony at College Park High in The Woodlands, Texas.

Grimes, 6-foot-5, 190 pounds, picked KU over finalists Kentucky, Marquette and Texas and said simply that it was his relationship with the KU coaching staff that inspired him to become a Jayhawk.

After thanking his friends, family, teammates, coaches and all of the schools that recruited him, "especially my final four," Grimes said simply, "I'd like to announce that next year I'll be attending the University of Kansas."

With that, and with his parents Tonja and Marshall sitting on each side of him, Grimes stood up, flashed a huge smile and held up a white No. 5 KU jersey.

His parents then joined the fun and removed their top layers to reveal their crimson and blue KU clothing. Several members of the audience then broke into the Rock Chalk chant to thunderous applause from the rest of the gym.

Grimes' commitment comes on the final day of the early signing period and ends a recruitment that had strong Kansas flavor from start to finish.

“They were real straight up and straightforward with me that I’m the best guard in the country,” Grimes told Rivals.com's Eric Bossi after a visit with Kansas during the recruiting process. “They basically told me that I have to sign with them.... They said have to get me, they were very clear on that.”

Ranked No. 11 in the class by Rivals.com and No. 16 overall in 247 Sports' composite rankings, Grimes is a gifted athlete known for his versatility and unselfish style, which makes him a terrific fit to play alongside true point guard Devon Dotson, who signed his letter of intent with Kansas last week.

The addition of Grimes adds symmetry to KU's current recruiting class, with two elite perimeter players and two physically imposing big men on their way to becoming Jayhawks.

The good news for Kansas, which is playing the current season with an open scholarship, — although that could change next month if five-star big man Silvio De Sousa is cleared to come to college early and allowed to play during the second semester — is that there's still time and room to add more to an already stellar class.

With senior guards Devonte' Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk graduating and underclassmen Malik Newman, Billy Preston, Lagerald Vick and Udoka Azbuike all potentially NBA-bound after this season, the Jayhawks not only would need to fill the spots vacated by those departures but also would have the scholarships available to do so.

That gives Self and company room to continue pursuing Top 10 talents Zion Williamson and Romeo Langford in the 2018 recruiting class.

While landing Dotson (6-1, 180, No. 17 per Rivals.com), De Sousa (6-9, 245, No. 25) and David McCormack (6-10, 280, No. 33) put the Jayhawks in the No. 2 or No. 3 spots in many recruiting sites' team rankings for the Class of 2018, the addition of Grimes is expected to be enough of a splash to move Kansas into the No. 1 position.

According to 247 Sports analyst Jerry Meyer, Grimes “is the most physical player of all the top lead guards in the class and has the versatility to play the two and the three. He gets where he wants on the court, is a three-level scorer, has great court vision and is a solid defender and rebounder.”

Comments

Matt Stone

So stoked to get Grimes! Would love if he was able to convince either Williamson or Langford to join but I am content with the recruits we have. Anyone else is icing on the cake. Welcome Quentin! RCJH!

Humpy Helsel

Freaking awesome.

Lex Valdez

Welcome to Lawrence mr Grimes! 2018-19 national champions mark my words... RCJH!

Daniel Kennamore

Welcome to the family Mr. Grimes.

Next year is starting to look REALLY good.

Tony Bandle

Let's see.....The Lawsons, Charlie Moore, Conliffe, Lightfoot and Garrett are pretty much guaranteed to be back next year. Then add Dotson, De Sousa, McCormack and Grimes.

It's possible that Vick and Preston may be back next season as well. Obviously, Svi and Graham, will be gone with a good chance that Malik and Dok would join them.

It will be interesting to see what Zion is thinking. Is there just too many big bodies going to be wearing the Crimson and Blue next year or, conversely, how do you pass up being the crown jewel of the Number One Recruitment Class of 2018 with a hell of a shot at the N.C,?

Elliot Cohen

I wouldn't be too sure about Lightfoot returning. He looks too small and slow footed to make a serious impact as a KU big man. With two bigs coming in next year, plus Lawson and no guarantees that Preston or Azubuike leave it may be Mitch that decides he would rather get more playing time elsewhere

Matt Tait

It's certainly possible, but that would shock me. Mitch loves it here and it's hard for me to imagine him even considering going anywhere else. He could, however, be a candidate for one of those mid-career red-shirts. That would allow him another year of eligibility, another year to get bigger and stronger and another year of being a student-athlete at Kansas.

Dirk Medema

I'm anticipating that next year will be the antithesis of the last 2. That we'll have extra bigs spilling over into the 3rd perimeter position. It will be essential that they have or develop foot speed but extra length can go a long way. It could be Mitch but I think the Lawsons also fancy themselves on the perimeter with the ability to go inside.

Mike Greer

If I remember correctly, Mitch really wanted to be a Jayhawk, I would hope he sticks around and has a chance to play at the 4 spot, where he is more appropriately sized.

Joe Ross

I doubt there's every been such a wide disparity between a football and basketball program at any school as is the case at Kansas.

Someone help me if you can think of other candidates for the Gap Award.

Gary Wirsig

Duke won the basketball national championship in 2000-2001 with a record of 35-4, but in football finished 0-11 in both 2000 and 2001.

Len Shaffer

That's certainly in the same ballpark, Gary.

KSU might have had a similar gap in their basketball heyday in the mid- to late-'50s.

Or perhaps Alabama at some point, as I know they have a pretty slim basketball history.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska had a pretty huge gap at some point too, as, if I remember correctly, they've never won an NCAA tournament game.

Those are just a few more that I can think of off the top of my head. But even if there are some that have had as big a gap, it's to imagine anyone having a bigger gap.

Joe Ross

In terms of a single season, you may have cracked the case!

Now think over the course of a 10-year span. Same question.

Gary Wirsig

Yep, got me there!

Danny Hernandez

Quentin's got some sick moves,a 6'5" 2! Have we ever had a 6'5" 2?

Lewis Mitchell

Didn't Ryan Robertson play some 2 before Vaughn graduated?

Dirk Medema

We have a 6-5 guard/2 in Garrett. He's just developed enough that we use him everywhere but the 5.

Seldom is also 6-5. Wiggins and Jackson could have been 2s but we had other small guards that were better than the options for bigs.

William F.High

It will be interesting to see how Self gets minutes for everyone. The transfers of Lawsons, Moore and Cunliffe may all be a bit concerned about where their minutes will come from.