Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Robinson runs for 243 yards, 4 TDs as Texas routs KU 55-14

Texas running back Bijan Robinson (5) rumbles ahead for yards against the Kansas defense during the first quarter on Saturday, Nov. 19, 2022 at Memorial Stadium.

Texas standout Bijan Robinson ran through, over and around Kansas for a career-high 243 yards and four touchdowns on Saturday, helping the Longhorns earn a measure of revenge with a frigid 55-14 victory.

Now, Robinson and his buddies are suddenly the Jayhawks' biggest fans.

The Longhorns, who lost a 57-56 overtime thriller to Kansas a year ago in Austin, need to knock off Baylor next week while getting some help from the team they just trounced. The Jayhawks must beat Kansas State in their rivalry game for Texas to play fourth-ranked TCU for the Big 12 championship in Arlington.

“We've got a bunch of fighters. We have a great deal of resiliency. These guys have showed an unbelievable amount of perseverance, and I told them that in the locker room,” Texas coach Steve Sarkisian said. “I was proud of them. I was very proud of them for the maturity they showed in this game.”

Quinn Ewers added 107 yards passing and a touchdown, and Jonathon Brooks ran for 108 yards and two scores, as Texas (7-4, 5-3) bounced back from a dismal game against the Horned Frogs in which it didn't score an offensive touchdown.

It scored on nine straight possessions after an opening punt Saturday and finished with 427 yards rushing.

“When you play a team that's as athletic as Texas, and you can see some of that when you stop your feet and lunge, and the missed tackles — it was not a good day there at all," Kansas coach Lance Leipold said, “and disappointing.”

Jalon Daniels, starting for the first time since a shoulder injury six weeks ago, threw for 230 yards with two touchdowns and an interception for the Jayhawks (6-5, 3-5). Devin Neal was held to 51 yards rushing on 13 carries.

“This offense had been averaging 36 or 37 points a game,” Sarkisian said. “To hold them to 14 points, to hold them to just about 100 yards rushing, that's a heck of a performance against a difficult offense to defend.”

Related document

Texas 55, Kansas 14 ( .PDF )

Robinson, who was held to 29 yards rushing by the Horned Frogs, eclipsed that total midway through the first quarter Saturday, then kept on going. He bulldozed into the end zone from 2-yards out to give the Longhorns the lead, then ripped off two long runs on their next possession to extend the advantage to 14-0.

“Before the game I was freezing. I was like, ‘This is not something you should play in,’" Robinson said. “But I knew I had to do whatever I could to help the team win. We had to run the ball throughout the game and that's what we did.”

Robinson nearly had a third first-half TD run, but it was called back by a penalty and Texas had to kick a field goal.

“He's a freak of nature. That's as simple as I can put it,” Ewers said. “I've never seen a guy like him before at the college level. He can really do it all.”

The Jayhawks were hoping to get a boost from the return of Daniels, who had them off to a 5-0 start before his injury on Oct. 8. But they went 3-and-out on their first two drives, failed on fourth-and-2 on the next one, then had a TD wiped out by a penalty and watched Jacob Borcila miss the ensuing field-goal try.

Ewers added a touchdown pass to Keilan Robinson later in the second quarter. And after Daniels was picked off by Jaylan Ford, the Longhorns turned again to Robinson, who appeared to have scurried 25 yards for a touchdown but was ruled out at the 1-yard line with 1 second left in the half — then leapt over the pile on the next play anyway.

Robinson had 172 yards and three touchdowns as Texas took a 31-0 lead to the locker room.

The junior tailback scored from 32 yards out on the first possession of the second half for his first career four-touchdown day, and Sarkisian soon gave Robinson the rest of the night off.

But despite playing just 2 1/2 quarters, his big game against the Jayhawks sent him climbing through the school record book. Robinson tied Chris Gilbert for fifth in career rushing with 3,231 yards, and Robinson’s 39 career scores is tied with Jamaal Charles and Roy Williams for fourth in school history.

UP NEXT

The Longhorns face the Bears next Friday. The Jayhawks head down Interstate 70 to play the Wildcats on Saturday.

Comments

Brett McCabe

I see that we've gone to the David Beaty school of QB mismanagement. What does it say to your team when you bench the guy they've battled with, won bowl eligibility with, and bonded with....just because J.C., I mean J.D., is kinda healthy? I don't think that it was the message you thought that it was.

What a complete crap show today. Why are we always outcoached to start a game? Why has the other team always figured us out, and we've figured out nothing? Is playing from behind some sort of new strategy? Because, if it is, we've bought in on it like it was crypto.

No excuses for this b.s. None. Zero. The staff should return the hundreds of thousands of dollars they were paid this week because this level of ineptitude is Zenger-esque. Pathetic from start to finish.

And here is a newsflash. Your team needs a kicker. Every year. No exceptions. If you don't have one, it's because you effed it up.

KSU is going to be up 28-0 by the time we realize the game has started. Do we have a strategy for that?

Rodney Crain

We held Texas under 60 points, under 450 yards rushing and less than 8 Td's. If the refs wouldn't have signaled a touchdown every time they scored we could have had a chance to win the game late.

Luckily this was not a home game or it could have had a negative effect on Goff's and Girod's special projects.

If this game is any indication, KSU has to be terrified for next weeks game.

- #RCJH
- #Quasi
- #Seive

Layne Pierce

Plain and simple. Next season the defense has to improve as much as the offense did this year.
We simply have the worst group of tacklers I have ever seen. We are ranked #93. And that I think is generous.

RCJH

Garry Wright

Come on guys. Don't let one game sour you on our team or coaches. Was it a game to be proud of? No. Is it time to turn sour grapes on our team and coaches? No. Anyone who thought we'd go 10 and 2 after our 5 - 0 start was only fooling themselves. We've come a long way from where we have been the past 14 seasons. The end of last season was an indication that things might get better and they did. Anyone who thought the Jayhawks would fully turn around in one season has been too high on something. Give Leipold at least a couple of more years to get us on real solid footing. I believe he will. He's already done what most didn't think possible at the beginning of this year.

Dale Rogers

I'm not even thinking Leipold should have a couple more years. He can stay as long as he wants, as far as I am concerned.

Some apparently forget that three months ago we were thinking we'd get 3 (which is more than the 2.5 projected) and had fingers crossed we could find a fourth win somewhere. This is, after all, a rebuild, and it has come much farther in a short time than most of us dreamed possible.

We knew it would take a few years to be truly relevant and challenge the conference leaders. That hasn't changed. We have a really good start on that. Now, we need to let the staff continue with the plan and see how much more progress we have next year.

Kevin Woods

Were they protecting JD? He ran TWICE?

Garry Wright

Dale, by my "a couple of more years" comment I wasn't referring to giving him a couple of more years and if he hasn't turned us around, get rid of him. I believe he's a keeper and we should do all we can to keep him for a long time. I simply meant it's going to take at least a couple of more years before we can really expect good consistency and seeing winning seasons. It takes time to build a foundation upon which we can see consistent winning seasons. I believe he's the one who can get us there. We're already seeing good movement toward that.

Dale Rogers

Garry, I agree with you. Sorry I misunderstood your meaning on the earlier post. I guess I was still in a funk about our poor showing in this game, plus having read elsewhere that some were calling for his head, believe it or not.

Jim Stauffer

Texas played to their potential.
We played below ours.
It happens.
When was last time our first blow out loss came in game 11?

Ted Hume

Perspective people. We all knew looking at the schedule that after the 5-0 start we might realistically not win another game. OU has a perennial powerhouse program with much higher talent, recruiting, and resources and have the same record. This year was a huge success and a great unexpected ride so be happy

Jeff Coffman

Texas and KU are 7 and 7 since before last year's upset of UT by KU. Some probably would be happy with the UT program; I'm happy with the KU program. We are headed North and they are headed to medicrocity.

Many of us started with hopes of a 3-4 wins and no blowouts. So we've had 1 or 2 this year. We are going bowling this year, which is a significant improvement. Most are projecting KU will face Missouri in the Liberty Bowl.

How could we not be happy with such a drastic improvement in basically one year of coaching. Yes we need to improve our defense, but we didn't think we were going from 2-10 to 11-1 in one year. I realize that we were 5-0 with TCU on the brink and ranked in the Top 20...I get it. But we all should be happy with the future.

Tim Orel

The extra time, however much it is, for practicing for the bowl game will lead to better skills for the team that will work into next year's skill level. I'm curious to see if Leipold is the kind of coach who goes all out to win the bowl game with this year's team or if he'll sideline the seniors (I hope not) and focus on developing next year's team. It's like an extra spring practice. I think winning this year's bowl game is more important to the team, but they didn't hire me as an extra strategist.

Blake Brown

Yes, it was another terrible start to a game and yes, it was the first blowout of the season and yes, we did not tackle well at all, and yes, the option play, JD`s biggest threat was not an option as KU wanted to avoid him getting hit which made it easier for the defense to focus on runs and in pocket passes, and yes, we are not looking good to do well against K-State, but the season is still a YES when it comes to our pre-season expectations and results. As a result, our recruiting should be much better snd we should have more quality depth and be able to handle the injuries with better backups. The ole adage, adage, "Wait until next year" applies here. From the bottom of the barrel, to being relevant to being formidable to being bowl bound, to being consistently competitive is what I see happening. YES!

Dale Rogers

Vote for Lance Leipold for Coach of the Year. I see he has dropped to third in the fan vote due to a massive voting turnout over the past week or so for the coach current leading the vote. Plus the one if fourth has been coming on strong. While the fan vote is just one part of the overall coy selection criteria, I think HCLL deserves our support.

You can vote once per day until mid December when the vote ends.

Dirk Medema

Thanks for the reference Dale. I started lobbying for LL in August but basically had written it off since October. Heupel is basically getting the benefit of a massive fan base. Unless TCU has a total collapse , I can’t imagine anyone but Sonny getting it. Such a huge turnaround in just one year though he obviously started with a lot more tools.

1 week, 3 days ago

Edward Daub

I taped the game to watch it later, but after seeing the score, I elected to delete it.

KU Football just suffered their 1st blowout loss of the season. The Team's momentum appears to be on the decline.

We all know that the KU Offense has to score points, because the KU Defense is a work in progress.

We are still 6 and 5, with the opportunity to redeem ourselves at KState.

Anyway you slice it or dice it, KU Football has achieved a very successful bowl eligible season.

Rock Chalk!

1 week, 3 days ago

Dale Rogers

I was tracking LL and those above him for awhile. Heupel had a sudden increase of 1,324 votes in one day, followed by several in the 500 to 600 range, then another at 1384. I no longer am tracking it, just voting and watching.

Now it is Sonny Dykes who is gaining rapidly. He's still behind LL but closing fast.

1 week, 3 days ago