Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Chancellor Douglas Girod says Kansas will 'land in a good place' as college athletics goes through another round of realignment

University of Kansas Chancellor Douglas Girod is pictured in his office in Strong Hall on Friday, Jan. 17, 2020.

Chancellor Douglas Girod on Thursday expressed confidence Kansas will "land in a good place" as conference realignment again grips college athletics, but didn't quite rule out that place could be somewhere other than the Big 12.

In a brief interview with the Journal-World Thursday, Girod was asked whether he was concerned about the Kansas' ability to effectively compete in athletics if the Jayhawks aren't a member of either the Big Ten or SEC, the two conferences that are positioning themselves to become the two most powerful leagues in college athletics by adding new members.

"I think we are well positioned to land in a good place. I don't know where that place is ... " Girod said, stopping midsentence, before shifting his comments away from KU and toward the Big 12. "I mean, I think we are well positioned to make sure the Big 12 is really that third leg of the stool, if you will, as this all shifts."

Girod was asked whether there has been "any feasible interest from the Big Ten" about a possible KU move to that growing conference. He did not disclose whether any discussions between KU and the league had occurred.

"Our focus right now is supporting our new (Big 12) commissioner and strengthening our brand and our position with obviously our media partners and figuring out what sort of competition alliances can be created to make sure our teams continue to play on the big stages," Girod said in response to the question. "It is all hands on deck right now in that regard."

Girod's comments are some of the first by a KU leader since USC and UCLA surprised the world of college athletics earlier this month by negotiating a deal to leave the Pac-12 to join the Big Ten.

That move has drawn criticism from some for its disregard of geography. As structured, the closest Big Ten member to the two West Coast universities is Nebraska. That creates the prospect of student-athletes spending large amounts of time away from their university campuses for travel to athletic competitions. Girod, however, said that may not be as big of a problem as some fear.

"I think we have yet to see how it plays out," Girod said. "Even though you may have a coastal presence, that doesn't necessarily mean you are going to compete coast to coast for your entire season. I think we still have a lot to figure out. Do you talk about divisions? Do you talk about sub units to ease that strain on our student-athletes?

"But it also, frankly, gives them a chance to play on the biggest stages and have great experiences. There are pros and cons to everything."

Girod said the UCLA and USC moves make it even clearer that the aspect of competition between universities of the same region is becoming less important in the world of college athletics.

"This changes the landscape of why you are competing against who you are competing against," Girod said. "The regional rivalries are becoming less important."

Girod stopped short of saying what that will mean for KU or the Big 12.

"I wish I could tell you where it is all headed. I can't," Girod said. "I don't think anybody can right now. I know there are a million different conversations going on."

Girod said those conversations — he praised the Big 12's new commissioner, Brett Yormark, for being "fully immersed at a national level" on realignment — are likely to produce more changes.

"It doesn't mean it is going to look like it does today," Girod said. "Everything from mergers of conferences to realignment of players, you know it is all on the table right now.

"But I feel good about where we are. It doesn't hurt coming off a national championship in basketball. It doesn't hurt being an AAU institution. We have a lot of assets we bring to the table, and I feel confident we will continue to be prominent on the national stage."

Comments

Rodney Crain

I think we are well positioned to land in a good place. I don't know where that place is... - Geerod

This reminds me of a movie quote, I just can't place it, but the lead in the movie has a connection to Kansas I think.

Got it!

... "I don't know where I'll be then, Rock", he said, "but I'll know about it; and I'll be happy." -George Gipp

Geerod as the voice of reason is just plain wrong.

Brett McCabe

Girod is the most uninspiring leader this university has ever had. He was an awful choice in the first place, and he hasn't improved. He botched the first AD hire, and got lucky that there was a clear and obvious choice the second time around. Let us all hope that our great university sees the end of the Major Milktoast era sooner rather than later.

Doug Roberts

Funny how all these "climate change" intellectual university folks get whiplash looking the other way when truckloads of cash are backed up to the campus doorstep as their athletics teams are traveling completely across the country instead of regionally.

Rodney Crain

Not sure those folks are in the same department.

Dirk Medema

Climate change, pandemics, and so much more is about social policies to control and coerce the masses, regardless of which end of the political spectrum. It has nothing to do with personal responsibility unless it’s convenient or personally profitable.

Rodney Crain

Wealth and Power, and getting more no matter what it takes.

Dirk Medema

I’m completely indifferent to this chancellor as was the case for those before him, but should we expect anything different from him at this point?

Bville Hawk

I agree, Dirk. The only chancellor in my lifetime that stands out is Archie Dykes.

Brett McCabe

Doug and the MAGATS....never miss a chance to shine a light on your stupidity. Dirk, "coerce the masses"? Have you been reading the blogs of the mass shooters? Seems like you are a convert, please do us a favor stay away from the gun shows. Maybe you and Doug could get together, have a drink and discuss how your life is so inhibited by coercion and critical race theory. But that would make you a nitwit victim, wouldn't it?

Robert Brock

Dirk needs to get back to farming.

Tim Orel

I'm wondering how much more money KU might be able to get (by being desirable) by having just won the MCBB championship and how much Arizona might have lost by flaming out early in the tourney. One season shouldn't mean anything overall, but it doesn't hurt, as Girod says, that KU just won and is projected to do very well again this year (like every year) where Arizona seems to be coming up short.

No, I'm not forgetting KU's 2021 problem in the tourney and I'm not discounting KU's miserable football issues where Arizona seems to be more competitive, but I would like to think championships, in major sports, matter, when sports conference associations are being changed around.

Bville Hawk

Robert Brock, are you demeaning farmers??? Are you an elitist, self-absorbed a-hole??? Just wondering...

Dirk Medema

I’ve got a couple pepper and tomato plants but a far cry from farming, not that I have anything against farmers. I just have more of a brown thumb than a green one.

Never own a gun either, though I have used the tools that shoot nails into concrete with a 22 shell. Ooops, I take that back. I do have several gun; nail guns. One for framing, for roofing, for finishing, … I’ve heard there’s a way to remove the safety so they can be shot into the air, though I’ve had no interest in figuring out how.

And though my eyes are colorblind, my ears are not. I’ve listened to leaders talk about how we must do xyz, but then have an excuse when caught breaking their own rules. I’ve listened to them change the rules, not based on any science or predetermined standard but because it was convenient.

Reading comprehension is tricky, so I’ll say it again. It doesn’t matter which side you’re on. Right or left, red, blue, or somewhere over the rainbow. It is all too common with politics. And the responses above are the typical myopic ignorance of painting a facade of the opposite extreme as a sad form of self justification. And that also is far too typical from both sides.

Rodney Crain

You are not wrong.

Crossbow guy myself. Never owned a gun.

Lee Short

Brett is just upset that Doug is a lot more clued in than him. His truth is much closer to hitting the mark than Brett's.
Brett has an uncanny ability to demonstrate ignorance at every turn, it seems. Obviously.

Randy Bombardier

We will be fine.

Dirk Medema

Rodney - I think it was Rockefeller that was asked almost a century ago how much money does it take to make a person happy/satisfied. His answer still seems to be relevant.

“Just a little bit more.”

Rodney Crain

very relevant.

Creg Bohrer

I was thinking the same thing Rodney Crain about the movie quote. Except I remember something about clicking heels.

Rodney Crain

Flipping Flying Monkeys.

Where was the cancel culture at when that horror show came out?

Stephen Johnson

Dirk and Brett - you guys are more alike than you know lol, different sides of the same coin.

Jonathan Allison

I've owned several guns. The BATFE knows this because they somehow have managed to keep records of the all of the form 4473 background checks for the past 20 years or more.

Unfortunately I lost all of them in a series of tragic boating accidents... I'd be sad for all of my lost firearms, but all of those boats were worth much more. Good thing my cars don't go on the water. Of course they are much more deadly than the guns, but aren't nearly as useful for home defense.

Rae Bricil

cars are more deadly than guns? i am guessing you are saying that bc on an annualized global basis cars kill more people than guns. i dont think that makes them more deadly than guns. It not like we send troops to war with a Toyota. Guns are deadly and that's the intent. Growing up hunting the first lesson i learned was that whatever you point a gun at be prepared to kill it. a cars primary use is not killing something it's transportation and becomes deadly in most cases based on human error but this is always a great talking point!

Dirk Medema

Rae - Excellent hunting lesson.

I would suggest to you that intent and effect are different.

I’m hoping that the researchers that were experimenting with flu viruses didn’t intend to create a pandemic, but it does seem safe to say that it was still very deadly. There are lots of examples of people beginning with good intentions that end up bad, though fortunately not usually deadly.

The opposite is also true. There are plenty of things people do with the intention of protection, self-defense, but hopefully never have to use it, whether that be a gun or anything else. I seem to recall a statistic that most police officers never even fire their guns at a person even though that is clearly their intent.

Rae Bricil

i am not saying that there are not other intents for guns and yeah that was an over simplified case. the point still remains guns are deadly and for deadly force. yes people use them for shooting skeet or target practice just like people race cars but at the end of the day cars are primarily for transportation and guns are for killing or the threat of killing or hurting.

i have heard that stat too around officers until they pull over a black man and shoot him 60X but yeah if it's a white mass shooter they'll never fire. Another stat is that you may like is that a person has a higher likelihood of getting shot as a teacher than they do being on duty as a cop.

this is truly an American thing. I have own a gun for protection here in the US. I have lived in Europe, South Africa, Afghanistan among other places and US is the only place i have felt the need to own a gun.

Rodney Crain

Sorry but I looked up a stupid report.

Annual top 3 deaths by thy own hand in the USA:

- Drug overdose clear #1 by a large margin 29 deaths per 100,000 people.

- Firearms, half of the OD number

- Automobiles about 5,000 less annually than Firearms per year, but has 3 times more people owning them. Flipping seat belts, air bags, and safer car designs. Plus you have to register, insure, and have a valid driver license.

Rae Bricil

curious now how may are related to fentanyl overdoses or other accidental overdoses.

people are never doing to stop doing drugs--the war on drugs is a joke and waste of money.

Rodney Crain

Rae lol.

The recent report lists only causes of death, in the USA, per 100,000 as I said.

ILLegal did not seem to matter to you on firearms, so my fault? that you think the drug overdoses matter as to illegal or not. You also did not mention drinking, or smoking, illegal drugs, all of which as most of us know, are not good for you, and also lead to death just a slower.

Agree on the war on drugs but you will have to take that up with Nancy Reagan, or the egg frying in a pan commercial.

To your point? I think?, opioid overdoses both legal (doctors over prescribing or just plain dealing drugs) are the main, and from reading look to be still reason of why this is number 1. Things are being done to try to curtail this but it is going take a little time. Fentanyl is not only dangerous, it can kill you just to handle. Be Careful.

Rae Bricil

i wasn't trying to talk about legality here so sorry if i misspoke. And i am not advocating that all guns or drugs should be illegal. in fact i believe a lot more drugs should be legal and like smoking or drinking should be up to the end user if they fully understand the consequences it their usage doesn't impact others negatively. I grant the last part is tough especially as it relates to healthcare. that part could be addressed through a levied tax on the product--basically capturing that externailty like we should have been doing with oil for the last 100 years.

agree on the overdose....the show on Hulu with Michael Keaton as the Dr. perscrbing oxy is a good watch if you havent seen it.

Bj Cassady

I would like to keep the KSU KU set going. Money seems to be the new god but not to me. Rivals are, fan bases are most important. If we get Colorado back great, heck add Utah ASU AU to the mix. I would not mind Wyoming and Colorado State either along with Air Force. CSU Air Force Colorado and Wyoming are not that far from B12 country.

Dirk Medema

BJ - sounds like you are describing the mountain west conference. I’m not sure that’s generally viewed as a good landing spot.

Tony Bandle

The Big, Bigger, Biggest Ten....NOPE! The Super Duper Southeast Mega Conference....NOPE!! The Sea to Shining Sea Pacific/Atlantic and All Points In Between Conference.....NOPE!!

The Leftovers Crap-Out-Of-Luck Losers Conference....YEP!!!!!!!!!

Rodney Crain

​LOL love it!!!!

How about Peacock channel presents Bravo's new show - Leftovers below deck. Showing the frantic anxiety of calls unanswered, the tense calls between that Mark guy begging to come back to JayZ, Beyounce refusing to take a message. You won't believe the tension of the clock ticking down each day hoping, praying for anyone to call, even a robo call from India.

You will be glued to your device waiting for the next shoe to drop.

This new program offers a pay by game streaming channel, $5.99 per hour, so you get to pay for a handheld smartphone, with a ring light filming 30 rows up at the actual game. Sure it's illegal but that just adds to the excitement.

Robert Robinson

Conference realignment is starting to feel a lot like the opening scenes of Baseketball

1 month ago

Robert Robinson

Soon entire teams to change in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee, where there's no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music. The Oakland Raiders moved to L.A. And then back to Oakland. No one in L.A. Seemed to notice.

The search for greener pastures went on.

1 month ago

Brad Watson

It's time to move to the Big Ten...it will be great to see those Big Ten schools coming into Allen Field House....that will be special and a welcome change ...so please get started with the process...we are too good for the Big 12...unfortunately it has come to that....it use to be a quality league...but no more....reach out and get it done!!!

1 month ago