Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

QB Kasen Weisman commits to Kansas, wants to 'build something' with Jayhawks

Kansas head coach Lance Leipold leads his team onto the field before an NCAA college football game against Oklahoma Saturday, Oct. 23, 2021, in Lawrence, Kan. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Kasen Weisman, a quarterback and high school senior from Douglasville, Georgia, said Thursday he has committed to play football at Kansas.

Weisman, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound dual-threat prospect, shared his decision at his school, South Paulding High, about 20 miles west of Atlanta. He's the only quarterback in what is now a nine-player recruiting class for Kansas and holds more than 30 scholarship offers, including Cal, Colorado State, Hawaii, Tulane and UNLV.

He was joined at the ceremony, which he broadcast on Instagram Live, by his parents and several coaches and teammates. He shared his choice by unzipping his sweatshirt to reveal a white Jayhawks T-shirt.

"I want to be a part of a winning program — laying the foundation for kids to come later on in the years, even past when I'm gone," Weisman said by phone prior to the ceremony. "I think that's true with a lot of the kids who are committed in the class. They want to be a part of that foundation. A lot of kids probably don't want to do that. They just want to go to big schools that win a lot, and that's OK. That's their choice. But I want to build something and be remembered for laying the steppingstones down."

Weisman, who has been recruited by quarterbacks coach Jim Zebrowski, is considered the No. 65 quarterback in the country by 247Sports. Rivals.com, meanwhile, graded him as the No. 85 player in Georgia.

Kansas offered Weisman a scholarship on Feb. 18, when he was on a bus ride to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, for a seven-on-seven tournament, and he told the coaching staff on Aug. 4 that he would accept it. He attended Kansas' "Friday Night Lights" camp on June 24, when he threw in front of the coaches for roughly two hours.

"Then I just hung out with the coaches for a while and met some great people," Weisman said. "I think they have the same morals as me and the same desires — like, they're not used to losing. I think you can probably tell. Every program they've been at, they've won, so like, the same thing with me — I hate losing more than anything. I think it's a great opportunity to be able to start something that I think Kansas football deserves."

Weisman completed 62.8% of his passes for 2,035 yards and 17 touchdowns with six interceptions last season. He also ran 77 times for 289 yards and eight touchdowns as South Paulding went 8-3 and lost to Cambridge High in the first round of the Georgia Class 6A playoffs — a game Weisman missed because of a broken sternum.

He described himself as "a leader, a playmaker, and someone that just wants to win," and said he's already built friendships with three other players in his recruiting class: wide receivers Keaton Kubecka and Jarred Sample and safety Taylor Davis.

He also said the distance from Georgia to Kansas isn't a concern because his parents are flight attendants for Delta. They assured him they'll be able to watch him wherever he decided to play.

"It's only an hour flight home," he said. "It's not bad. I've been across the country a lot, so I'm not going to be homesick or anything. I like traveling, so I think it will be a good opportunity for me to get out by myself and start living by myself and play college football and live a kid's dream."

Comments

Brett McCabe

This staff keeps grinding. I like the way that they are finding guys, and really like the comments you hear from the kids.

The ksu kitties are lagging behind the entire conference in average player ranking. And in the KC paper, they are talking about being part of the greatest recruiting class ever at ksu. Ha!

Moments like these I wish guys like Pooka could have played for this staff. Can you imagine him in the wide zone? That dude was special.

Michael Leiker

Can’t wait for 9/2.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

Congratulations and welcome to The Hill!

I’m a little surprised the staff took a QB in the class so they must be really high on your potential. Keep grinding and Rock Chalk!

Benny Armstrong

I think given one of many factors such as injuries, transfers, players not developing as planned, etc. you'll see this staff take a minimum of one QB each season to have a full room of guys that the staff believes can play and be effective. Obviously the hope is that Jalen is healthy and our guy for the next 2 seasons (assuming he doesn't use a covid year) and then hands the keys over to Easters or Vasko because that would bring stability to the team. But last year we saw our starter and backup go down in the same game against KState so there's no guarantees we make it through a season with just one QB.

Keep in mind that he could also switch positions. If there's too much depth at QB, maybe he becomes a receiver given his size and mobility. Probably not his preference, but always an option depending on how things shake out.

Dale Rogers

Also, this staff is noted for finding and developing underrated players. They bring them in, develop them and turn them into quality div 1 players. That can take a year or two of development so we need to keep the flow of new players going.

Dirk Medema

The 25 player annual limit is basically gone, but that’s still the basic recruiting class size; 85/4 = 21.

With 22 starters, it basically means a balanced class will have one player for each position; 2-OG, 2-OT, 1-OC, etc.

As Benny mentioned, I think Carter’s senior year was the only time in the last decade when a starter made it through the season unscathed. QB is probably the toughest but most important position to have depth. Not much subbing, but also the most critical backup you hope to never play. Every other position ideally has subs during a game.

Rodney Crain

Children, children as much as I admire Coach Lance, recruiting in this revolving door of free agency (portal world), is nothing more than a "oh that is nice" moment. Celebrating a recruit that has commited is like holding air in your hand until they actually are here. When you factor in Baty's version 2 of fantasy world of NIL we have, I hope we can keep Coach Lance let alone our football recruits.

Let's face facts, these Little League World Series regional sites are nicer than anything our football program has.

Rodney Crain

In faulting our pathetic NIL approach, I was remiss in not sharing a way you as a fan can support an athlete.

There was an article about how only 4% of the NIL money is fan based (AP). The site they discuss, Opendorse, allows fans a way to support a KU player. The player has to create an account first, and there were quite a few KU players listed. All kinds of options were available. From NFT's, to autographs, to in person visits.

Just trying to add value in the face of the baffling lack of focus from Mass (not a word you want your Doctor to say during your visit) Strategies and Baty.

Brett McCabe

How Baty got the gig is a mystery. The complete collapse of the barnstorming tour was not a great start. Goff may need to be looking at a better solution in the future.

Brett McCabe

And on the NIL front, it's your money, and I want KU to be successful, and I want the players to flourish, but on the list of things/people I'd give money to, they'd be way, way, way down the list.

I think they have a pretty good deal: free tuition, free books, unlimited tutoring support, free meals, free housing, a cash stipend, an extensive training program, medical support, and an opportunity to move themselves into the NFL. I think I'll channel my money somewhere else.

Dirk Medema

I wonder if Kason’s commitment can be extra beneficial? It seems that the relationship he developed with the WRs that have already committed had an influence on his commitment. I’ve heard that is the case for our current group of Detroit players as well as others from the past.

He obviously has the mentality of wanting to build a winner vs maintaining what others have built, and is from a football rich area. It would be great if he could encourage some of the GA/SE talent to join him.

Dirk Medema