Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Kansas basketball lands commitment from Iowa State transfer Jalen Coleman-Lands

Iowa State guard Jalen Coleman-Lands shoots a 3-point basket over Texas guard Courtney Ramey (3) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game, Tuesday, March 2, 2021, in Ames, Iowa. Texas won 81-67.

The Kansas men’s basketball program’s busy offseason raged on Wednesday, when the Jayhawks landed a commitment from another newcomer.

Former Iowa State guard Jalen Coleman-Lands, a 6-foot-4, 187-pound senior shooting guard originally from Indianapolis, announced on social media late Wednesday morning that he was joining the Jayhawks.

Known as a shooter and a scrappy defender who can use his length and strength to guard the 1 through 4 positions, Coleman-Lands said his one year at ISU gave him a good feel for what Kansas is all about.

“I’m familiar with how they play, offensively and defensively, and I really like how Coach Self uses his guys with the main goal being to win,” Coleman-Lands told the Journal-World in a phone interview Wednesday. “I view this as me kind of finishing off my college career on a high note, being able to play with some talented guys and have a coaching staff and teammates who share the common goal of trying to win a championship.”

After initially declaring his intention to test his NBA draft status last month, Coleman-Lands explained that he planned to maintain his college eligibility with the option to transfer.

On Wednesday, Coleman-Lands said he got the feedback he needed and was no longer considering the NBA at this time.

“I’m not teetering around with it,” he said. “Once I said I’m go-ing to KU, I’m locked in. I was grateful for the information I got, but I want to finish off my career on a high note and chase those big milestones with great players and a great team.”

Thanks to all of their offseason additions and what they have returning, the 2021-22 Jayhawks are viewed by most national analysts and outlets as a top 5 team heading into next season.

Coleman-Lands said his conversations with KU coach Bill Self about joining the Jayhawks first started about 2 weeks ago. From there, things moved quickly and he jumped at the opportunity to use his super senior season, made possible by the COVID-19 pandemic, at Kansas.

While KU forward Mitch Lightfoot's super senior season will not count against KU's limit of 13 scholarships for the 2021-22 season, players who transfer schools to use the extra year allowed by the NCAA, like Coleman-Lands, do count against the limit.

“It’s a blessing for me to even have this opportunity,” he told the Journal-World. “I have an entire season left to trust my game and have fun and share the mission of trying to win a championship.”

Coleman-Lands becomes the 10th new player to join the Jayhawks this offseason and puts the Jayhawks on pace to be one scholarship over the limit of 13.

With 2020-21 starters Ochai Agbaji and Jalen Wilson, along with Monday night Arizona State commitment Remy Martin, still testing their NBA draft stock, the possibility exists that one or more of those players may not be in Lawrence when the start of the 2021-22 school year rolls around.

With roster movement and the transfer scene exploding this offseason, the possibility also exists that a spot could open up through those channels, as well.

Either way it works out, the addition of Coleman-Lands brings Kansas another legitimate outside shooting threat.

During his lone season with the Cyclones in 2020-21, the former DePaul and Illinois player who earned honorable mention all-Big 12 honors ranked second on the team in scoring at 14.3 points per game, which put him 10th in the Big 12 Conference.

He shot 39.5% from 3-point range and made a team-high 58 triples on 147 attempts.

For his career, which to date spans 133 games and 102 starts at three schools, Coleman-Lands is a 37% 3-point shooter, having made 293 shots from behind the arc in 792 attempts.

In two games against the Jayhawks last season — both losses — the 6-4 guard made 12 of 25 shots, including 6 of 14 from 3-point range, and scored 20 points in each contest.

While he heard from other coaches and programs in recent weeks who told him they wanted him to be the leading scorer and net 30 points a game, Coleman-Lands had bigger things in mind.

“That was cool,” he said. “And they were telling me what they thought I wanted to hear. But my main thing is to fill a role where I have a part in helping Kansas win. That’s my reason for coming back. My biggest emphasis is to go out there and win and be on a team that I can contribute.”

Kansas Basketball Roster Movement

SF Tyon Grant-Foster transferred to DePaul

PG Marcus Garrett graduated

Jayhawks testing NBA draft stock:

PG Remy Martin

SG Ochai Agbaji

F Jalen Wilson

* All 3 have until July 7 to decide whether to stay in the draft or return to Kansas

Comments

Mike Johns

Looks like a solid get. It's going to be interesting how HCBS deals with all this Talent!
I don't think I like the new transfer rules and extra year of Eligibility though, I follow college basketball pretty closely and I'm thoroughly confused as to who's on what roster!

Tony Bandle

Mike, something tells me you are far from alone in being confused about this upcoming season!!! :)

Gerry Butler

Don't feel like your alone buddy. - -I'm so confused now , I mean looks like we are just loaded .Interesting to see how Bill handles these minutes - - only ONE Basketball. - Of course think Remy is probably about a 50/50 deal whether he goes NBA or not - -this also looks like Och is GONE to me. We are going to be Soooo deep. - -look for a repeat next year with this new transfer thing - not only for us but all across the board they are saying big turnover again. I'm like you not really sure if I like this or not - gonna have to re-learn the entire roster lol

Tony Bandle

Well, he certainly will have an interesting college career being a Blue Demon, a Fighting Illini, a Cyclone and now a Jayhawk. He'll have a neat collection of game jerseys in his closet.

The 2021-2022 season will be the most unique in NCAA history, that's for sure!!

Chris Teegarden

I just went and looked at the ISU roster from the 2020-2021 season and saw that Coleman-Lands was listed as a senior, so I'm wondering is this his extra year because of COVID. If so does his scolly not count against the limit for us like Marcus wouldn't?

Jonathan Allison

good point. This is important information that we need to know.

Grady Millikan

Good question that only applies to seniors staying on the same team. Transfers that were seniors at another school last year still count

Matt Tait

All correct. It's in the story that this will be his super senior season (made possible by COVID), but, yeah, the rule is if you stay at the school you played your senior season, your scholarship for your super senior year does not count. If you transfer to use the super senior season, it does count against your new team's limit of 13.

Robert Brock

Is Coleman-Lands the replacement for Ochai Agbaji?

David Hall

Rodney Crain

I, Rodney Crain would like to take this opportunity to commit to play at Kansas for the upcoming season. I am a perfect fit for KU since I am a guard, never played here, and well I am alive. The reason I choose KU is because it appears they are taking somebody, anybody and everybody. I am a 3 sport athlete, cornhole, darts and pop a shot. RCJH!

Andy Godwin

College (men) athletics at this worst. I did indicate at the end of last year that Self's team had to become more athletic and substantially better from the three to compete at an elite level, but this is college free agency gone wild. I hope some University administrators are reviewing their athletic departments and evaluating their definition of a student-athlete. At this rate it might be time to consider semi-pro teams playing for Universities, instead of pretending that these are students who have superior athletic talent and want to earn a free education. 9 to 10 new faces - who knows maybe more. Good luck.

Brian Wilson

Good point. Coach Self and all of California wants the players to be paid and along comes with that...free agency. To me soon college basketball players will no longer amatuer. They will be paid professionals that have no loyalty to the school that offered a scholarship. They can move to the school with the best chance of winning any time they want to the highest bidder. I can't imagine any would be qualified for financial aid. And since they are receiving pay from the shool, which is taxable, so would the value/amount of their scholarships. You can't be paid and also be given money from the same employer and claim that some of it's free. To me that means players will just have to pay their own way. Which makes sense because they will be free to come and go as they please. So be careful what you wish for HCBS because you may dislike the new free agency, but that is what comes with signing Professional Athletes, and I really really hate to say it, at this point, why not just coach in the NBA and leave amatuer sports alone.

Benny Armstrong

From what I've read on the topic, the money for athletes for their NIL would not be paid by the school, so while it would be taxable, it wouldn't cause the scholarships to be taxable/force them to pay their own way. That doesn't mean that in the future it wouldn't change to where schools are directly paying athletes, but we're not quite there yet. Obviously there is still going to be an imbalance for schools based on the media market they're located in and the willingness of businesses to pay for these athletes to be in car commercials or whatever, but I think the media and the athletes are vastly overstating just how much they are worth. Yes, people like Zion or the star qb at Alabama will command a lot of money in endorsement deals, but beyond the obvious big names, I don't think there's going to be this gold rush of money thrown at everyone. Businesses will still have to be strategic with their marketing dollars for endorsements.

As far as a wild west of free agency is concerned, I think a lot of this will die down as each athlete can only move once without penalty of sitting out. I would imagine there will be some little spikes in this in later years, but its unlikely that we see this many people in the portal each offseason.

Mike Johns

Let this sink in... JCL will be 25 years old in July...

7 years in college and still playing.

Benny Armstrong

All I can think of is the classic scene from Tommy Boy:

"You know, a lot of people go to college for 7 years."

"I know, they're called doctors."

Waylon Cook

He is older than Svi!

Ted Hume

JCL = Isaiah Moss

but this is all just bananas. seriously, 10 newcomers (10!!!) in a single offseason? bonkers. Matt- can anyone find out if any other Power 5 team is adding 10 new players to a roster? This likely confirms what I've said all along, now is the best time for Ochai to make a run at the NBA, and he's certainly not going to increase his stock with a 4th year on the court for KU.

Dale Rogers

I see this kind of depth in the back court meaning we have many fouls to give. We can play physical, drive to the hole, defend hard, and if a player gets in foul trouble we have 2 or 3 ready to come in and continue the game. Remember back even when Self was at Illinois, that was often his trademark. Physical play and plenty of depth to compensate for foul trouble.

Dirk Medema

At 25, he’s older than Mitch? How about grampa Ellis?

Cuffee reclassified up to be at KU. Could there possibly be a change in store for him?

Dirk Medema

Matt - So much for a quiet offseason. Remember when you used to have to search for things to write about and some spoiled readers would complain? 😂

Matt Tait

Yeah. This hasn't sucked for me. Busy, but busy is better than bored!!!

Shannon Gustafson

Expect a few redshirts to help with the "not enough minutes" situation. Likely a big and a guard will redshirt. No idea who, possibly Cuffe is the guard but the big could be any of the freshman or JUCO guys. Only ones for sure not redshirting are Dave (starting Center), Mitch (Already Redshirted), and Cam Martin (backup Center and also a 5th year Senior).

While all these transfers are insane, it will slow down somewhat next year because a few things will change. First is that there won't be all of these guys eligible for a 5th year (Covid year). Second is this new transfer without sitting out a year rule can only be used once. So everybody that transferred this year can't transfer again next year without sitting out. This doesn't mean there won't be a lot of transfers, there just won't be as many as this year.

Cory McCart

my head hurts.

Buck Bukaty

This is no reflection on Mr. Coleman-Lands (welcome aboard!), but I can't fathom, yet, what Senior Night will and should be moving forward, assuming careers are rarely four-year players commencing their careers as a Jayhawk. Will seem odd for us old-timer purists.

Jeff Coffman

I'm still not a fan of the in-conference transfers, not saying that KU should avoid it because I don't like it though.

This extra year seems like it will cause a few additional red-shirts and we will start seeing the affects of this in about 3-4 years.

I'm not sure I like the all-out free agency and this could get difficult to manage teams. You'll need a GM in Basketball, kind of like football.

Dale Rogers

To top it off, with some states allowing players to be paid for NIL and others not, we'll likely see start players transferring to where they can get paid legally. I say legally since some are probably getting paid under the table already. With the Kansas legislature having barfed on this subject, Kansas schools would be losers in those situations, plus in recruiting top players.

Dale Stringer

I love Braun's scrappiness, but this looks like one more dart thrown at him. If he just wasn't so hesitant about shooting the quick open three.

Brian Wilson

So, Am I correct in saying that Mitch will go down in the record books as KU's only Six Year Red Shirt Player?

Bryce Landon

Glad to see a Cry-Clown player leave the backwater cesspool that is Ames, Iowa and come to Lawrence, Kansas! This guy is the anti-Tristan Enaruna. Welcome to Kansas, JCL!

Steve Zimmerman

You know coach BS will not play more than 7. So, expect 3 to 5 leaving next year.
Hopefully, some of them will bond, decide to stick around, build a good camaraderie. A big concern is cohesiveness - as some of you probably have stated. How can they trust each other in just months? It's another challenge for coaching staff. Let's see how they play out.
Lots of talents, with lots of unknowns. Next season will be another joy ride. Rock Chalk!!!

Mark Wooden

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say Garrett graduated? The tone seems like he ditchednthe program instead of being a solid Jayhawk for 4 years. Jus' Sayin"

Matt Tait

Good point. You bet. Under normal circumstances, that's exactly what it would've been. The fact that he *could've* come back threw me off, but I'll tweak it now. Thanks.

Dirk Medema

Brian - Coach Self has commented multiple times that he is not in favor of the current situation, so way off target to comment that he wished for this. He is using it masterfully but it most definitely is not what he wished for.

Fortunately, we can also know that Coach will play as many players as he is confident about, with the confidence being rooted in aspects of the game that most of us have little knowledge of. Hopefully all the players will be available for the first 2 sub-seasons (pre and non-con). Everyone gets some chance there. If they have learned well over the summer, then they will play more, or less if they have not. Many in recent history have not, but PT is more a matter of learning and less a matter of #’s.

Rodney Crain

Wait, wait I get it now. Think about it, with so many shooters on the bench the odds are in our favor that at least one of them will be "on/hot" that game. This is pure genius. Is there a Gatorade award or something for having the most transfers total? I believe we got a shot at it this year.

David Friend

Seth Davis has us 19 next year. This is as of yesterday. He is assuming that Marin, Ochai, and Wilson are not coming back. Davis is old!!!!!!! My guess is Ochai is not coming back.

Dan Leftwich

Transitions are often messy. College basketball is in transition because the 1 and Done players are showing that they can go international or to the G League. Big programs that went after 1 and Dones are adjusting with the new transfer rules and Covid just added some more messiness (to put it mildly) to the transition with the extra year exceptions. The halcyon days of the NCAA holding student athletes up as role models for staying with a program until graduation are gone. Free agency is here. Coach Self is adapting on the fly. It will settle into a more orderly process by next year. Roll with it, or get rolled. Onward into the Phog!

Chad Smith

I guess at this point I'm now starting to question this continual recruitment of players.

They are now one scholarship over the limit and that kinds of puts them in a weird position.
I know the working theory is that it's best to have a backup plan. Problem is, now it sends a message to Och and Wilson that they're moving on with/without you. What if both players end up coming back, then who do they remove from the team?

Pretty messed up to eliminate a player who just committed to your program and even worse to tell an incoming freshman there's no spot for you.

I have to believe that the information is such that someone on the team is moving on, it just hasn't been formally announced..

Shannon Gustafson

Self got word that Ochai was staying in the draft and he picked up a replacement immediately. He wouldn't recruit over a multi-year starter unless he was very confident that player wasn't coming back.