Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Mitchell Ballock accepts Curry invite

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Eudora High sophomore basketball standout Mitchell Ballock has accepted an invitation to the 2015 Stephen Curry Select Camp, set for June 29 to July 2, in Alameda, California.

Ballock, a 6-foot-4 combo guard ranked No. 23 in the recruiting Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, recently was one of 20 prep guards from around the world to receive a personalized You Tube invitation from Curry of the Golden State Warriors.

Ballock won the “best shooter” award at last summer’s initial Curry camp.

“What’s up, Mitch? Hope you had a great sophomore season back in Kansas,” Curry said on the video entitled, “Mitch Ballock, you are officially invited to the SC30 Select Camp.”

Photo

photo

Eudora sophomore Mitchell Ballock shoots over Tonganoxie senior Jared Sommers (12) during the first round ...

“You know it was great working with you this past summer. You definitely shot the lights out. My dad definitely wants his revenge this summer (in shooting competitions). So I want to invite you back to the second-annual SC Select Camp. We’re going to have a lot of fun. We’re going to work hard like we did last year and we’ll get even better. Hope you are wearing that (Under Armour) gear proudly and we’ll see you this summer,” Curry added.

First-team all-state pick Ballock, who averaged 20.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game last season, also has accepted invitations to the 2015 Adidas Nations camp and Pangos All America camp. He has received early scholarship offers from Kansas University, Iowa State, Oklahoma and others.

Is he proud to receive the Curry invite?

“Very,” Ballock said. “It should be a good time. It definitely was last year.”

The video is available at http://ljw.bz/1IigoDY

Eubanks on radar: Former Baylor signee Kobie Eubanks, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound graduate shooting guard from Elev8 Sports Academy in Delray Beach, Florida, plans to visit KU, Eubanks told Rivals.com on Wednesday.

Eubanks, who is ranked No. 101 in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, said he also plans to visit Alabama and West Virginia. He was set to play for Baylor this past season, but there reportedly were issues with his high school transcripts, and he failed to qualify academically.

He decommitted from Baylor in November and then made official visits to Oregon and Texas and an unofficial visit to Maryland. Georgia, UCLA, Alabama and Missouri have also been considered options for Eubanks.

Eubanks averaged 18.5 points as a senior at Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York. He was a teammate of current KU signee Cheick Diallo. He scored in double figures in 25 of 27 games with a pair of 30-point games. Prior to that, he played three years at American Heritage School in Plantation, Florida.

His brother, Nick, is the No. 14-rated football tight end in the country in the Class of 2016. He attends American Heritage High.

Vick update: Former SMU commit LaGerald Vick, a 6-5, 175-pound shooting guard from Memphis, announced on Twitter on Tuesday that he was “Blessed to have just received an Offer from the University of Kansas!” He included a picture of a Jayhawk under the tweet.

Vick, who is ranked No. 137 in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.com, is seriously considering reclassifying to 2015. Kentucky, Louisville and Virginia are also believed interested.

“Right now we’re getting his transcript together and it looks like he will be eligible for 2015,” Norton Hurd, Vick’s Team Thad AAU coach told catsillustrated.com. “Coaches that have seen him play know he didn’t get the same spotlight. He’s the truth. He’s going to make a big impact wherever he goes. He’s a really good ballplayer.

“He’s looking for somewhere that needs him,” Hurd added. “He’s not coming to be caught up in tradition, he’s coming to (be a) major part of what’s going on. If a school doesn’t have that available that’s not for him.”

Of his ability, Hurd told catsillustrated.com: “Offensively he’s one of the most skilled guys in the country. He’s super athletic. Not too many people in the country can create his own shot like him. He’s like an underrated Malik Newman. If he were to go to Kentucky or wherever fans would be like ‘Oh my gosh, we got a steal. This is a kid we shoulda took from day one.’”

Mack update: Tevin Mack, a 6-6 senior small forward from Dreher High in Columbia, South Carolina, is expected to visit Texas unofficially this weekend, his mom, Paula, tells midlandshssports.com. He has already used up his five visits. Paula told the website that her son will take part in a virtual tour and video-conference via Skype between Tevin, Paula and coach Bill Self. Tevin, who is ranked No. 61 by Rivals.com, also is considering Clemson, West Virginia, UCLA, Georgia and North Carolina.

KU, which has signed Diallo and Carlton Bragg as members of the Class of 2015, has two scholarships left to award in recruiting.

Comments

Brian Wilson

Looks like HCBS's first choice is another guard as insurance in case Greene has recovery issues. I originally thought we wanted another big man, with Ellis moving to the 3 spot, but I have not heard or seen any news about KU recruiting another big. At this point it feels like HCBS thinks another big man is gravy and we should wait to hear from the "Maker."<br>

David Hall

Greene will be just fine

Jay Hawk

I know that there have been plenty of "Ellis to the 3" comments - most of the speculation started by Coach Self. But, I doubt we will see Perry on the court very often this year in a traditional small forward position with 2 other interior guys holding down the paint.

Yes, he will be given the green light to float around the perimeter and shoot some 3's and he might even see some spot minutes as a 3 but Perry will spend a huge majority of his time as a power forward.

I think we will frequently see him in a "stretch 4" type of role. Perry is also effective at getting the ball up around the elbow and driving to the basket. I bet we see that a lot this year.

It seems that Perry needs to have an all-american type of year and demonstrate an ability to play outside if he wants to have a shot in the League. I don't think Bill has to hijack this season by playing him out of position in order to give Perry that opportunity.

RCJH!

Suzi Marshall

I am really charged up for Ellis and the rest of the'15-'16 team. It will be my son's senior year on the Hill and we plan to practically live in Lawrence for the next 12 months.
Ellis will rock this coming season ... all the way to All-American and NBA first round.

Ryan Michael

This always cracks me up every time I hear it. Perry cannot, and will not play the 3. He's not capable of it against any half-way decent team.

That's not a knock on him really, hes a college 4. He can't even remotely keep up with a 3 defensively.

Brian Skelly

Ellis is undersized at a 4, and under skilled at 3. There's no gray area with that. That said, the "under skilled" part as a 3 can -- and I think anyone who's being honest about it can say he's improved. But how much? Eh.

Keith Gellar

So how does someone fail to qualify academically at Baylor, but meets all requirements for KU? Do we even want to be talking to this kid if he can't even get into Baylor? I don't think we're that desperate.

Page Butler

He failed to meet the requirements after his senior year of high school. He has gone on to a prep school Elev8 Sports Academy in Delray Beach, Florida so that he can get his grades up to standards. I suppose it is the same when a Division 1 player goes to play at a Junior College for a year to get his grades up to qualify for a 4 year college.

Aaron Paisley

Baylor has higher admission standards than KU.

Suzi Marshall

Kansas accepts almost 93% of applicants with GPA and SAT ranging from 3.32- 3.52 and 22 - 28, respectively.

Primarily from my experiences at KU and in business, over the years, I've become really skeptical about how universities are rated. When my son went through the selection process, he narrowed his final choices to KU, Baylor, TCU, CMU, SMU, and ND. Coming from Houston, the harsh winters ruled out ND. For the life of me, I could not understand why anyone absence some kind of biased assessment would select any of the other schools over Kansas, mainly due to the cost factors. Why would anyone want to pay $54 k per year when Kansas (out-of-state even) was about half $28K.

Rodney Crain

You are looking at this from a financial perspective. If it was just cost based then Polo, Nautica, Prado, Valentino, Harvard, Brown and on and on would barely exist instead of thrive. I used to think sneakers were just shoes till Nike informed me otherwise. Prestige is relevant and has been used to decide things just as much as cost. I would even go so far as to say if something cost more perception is that it must be better, why else would people pay more? Why pay more, why does a little horse and rider mean something on a shirt?

Aaron Paisley

What does cost of attendance have to do with admission standards, especially when it involves someone prospectively attending a school on a full athletic scholarship?

Dirk Medema

The second paragraph is a second thought, evident by the phrases, "My experience", and "When my son".

The first paragraph is about admissions, even if SAT scores (in the hundreds) is mixed up with ACT scores (0 - 36).

Tony Bandle

Mitch, right now, is a better shooter than 90% of the guards in college and, from what I've heard, bleeds Crimson and Blue. Smooth lefty with almost unlimited range. Bill and the boys need to stay on this kid hard and not assume he is an "automatic recruit".

If Curry wants, you better believe you can put it in the basket!!!

Rodney Crain

My Aunt lives in Eudora, she is all over this for us... :))

Agree lets take this all the way to the finish line. Nice and Easy make sure he feels the love from one and all!

RJ King

Yes. I can already see Duke (Steph's brother), Cal (close to Curry's Warriors), Kentucky, Arizona, UCLA and a host of other schools all over this kid. Hopefully his dream won't change and he'll want to play close to family.

Marius Rowlanski

For someone who bleeds Crimson and Blue, he has traveled everywhere but KU.

Dirk Medema

You really think he hasn't been 20 minutes down the road to the Fieldhouse?

Suzi Marshall

My initial thoughts upon first hearing of this guy was he should forget about Kansas. Surely, I thought, a kid from Eudora who grew up with Kansas basketball would only have his heart broken by attending Kansas.

Then I saw him play recently and my thought process....matured. To my great surprise I found this kid can really play with a great shot and head on his shoulders. I know love this kid and believe he will be the centerpiece of the Kansas program for a couple of years, should he select the Hawks.

Michael Uphaus

He sounds a lot like me from my playing days at Imac in Leavenworth.

Marius Rowlanski

I don't want to see Calipari or Coach K snagging another top player from KS. There will be a lot of turnover next year and this kid could be a 4 year player.

Dirk Medema

Are you referring to Willey Cauley-Stein and Semi Ojeleye? 2 players that were barely recruited by KU?

WCS obviously developed, but has Semi done anything? Transferred?

Aaron Paisley

Senior Graham playing next to sophomore Ballock will be the reality in 2017-18. Ballock is KU's to lose and he probably won't ever take an official visit to KU because he lives 20 minutes away and has probably already been to multiple KU related events and KU coaches have probably been to multiple events of his that haven't been publicized. That is one of the perks of living that close to a school/recruit.

Steve Zimmerman

Ballock has a lot of tools and a versatile player. We need this guy!
If we can also get Michael Porter (Missouri) - that would be great.
It'll be like Ellis + Conner de ja vu.

Aaron Paisley

Michael Porter plays for an AAU team that doesn't have a great relationship with KU (MoKan Elite) for whatever reason. The guy that directs and coaches them is a former UMKC player and Nike is their apparel sponsor so those are the 2 most like reasons wihy. They're last 2 top 50 recruits were Willey Cauley-Stein and Semi Ojeleye who each committed elsewhere and were barely recruited by KU. Also considering that Porter is from Columbia, Mo, I wouldn't hold my breath on him coming to KU.

Steve Zimmerman

Good to know, Mr. Paisley.
I tend to always think being committed (to a colleage) has got to be more because of personal preference for recruits. But in reality, the coaches have bigger influence. I am still hopeful he will at least consider KU for so many reasons.