Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Kansas attorney general fires back after New Mexico A.G. predicts NCAA upsets

— Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt fired back at New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas after Balderas picked upsets of two Kansas schools in the upcoming NCAA basketball tournament.

Balderas picked the 15th-seeded New Mexico State men's team to go to the NCAA's Elite Eight, shocking Kansas, Wichita State and Butler before falling to unbeaten Kentucky in the men's tournament.

Schmidt responded Wednesday with a statement calling out Balderas' "baseless prediction."

"My friend and colleague Attorney General Balderas is obviously pandering his home-state crowd with his baseless prediction that New Mexico State will defeat both KU and Wichita State in the NCAA basketball tournament," Schmidt said.

"As a new attorney general, Mr. Balderas clearly has much to learn about Kansas basketball. I wish him all the best in pondering these philosophical matters at length during the free time he will have next week after his team has departed the tournament this coming weekend in Omaha.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Comments

Mick Allen

The Kochs told Schmidt to respond, but it was to reference only WSU and not KU. You know how much the Kochs and our AG love Lawrence and KU.

Suzi Marshall

They have given alot of money and hired alot of KU grads over the years, including Tommie Kivisto, Brad Sanders and hopefully my son for this summer.

Micky Baker

Don't you just love the way they go after me for posting something about Obama being a fraud in an article that was about Obama visiting claiming that it was "off-topic"? Then they do this, two times this week. But apparently, it's not off topic when they do it, but is when I did it.

Cody Riedy

Micky, I'm probably 180 degrees from you politically and I don't even mind getting political from time to time on this site, but I agree that we don't need to bring up the Koch bothers every time we talk about the Wichita State basketball team.

Cody,

It is good that you believe that it shouldn't be brought up. The greater point that I'm making though is about how the same people who ripped me for saying something negative about President Obama are all of a sudden silent when it goes the other way. I do not believe you were one of those that did that then. They're not here right now to bust the chops of others who are doing it in the opposite direction, politically speaking. I don't even have a problem with Mick Allen posting that. I do have a problem with the hypocrites who ripped all over me, gave 17 thumbs up to a post that bragged about flagging my post about Obama for removal. Where are they now? Crickets.

In fact, it appears that a couple are trying to get me removed from here completely. They're such cowards.

Suzi Marshall

Micky, after years of remaining silent, we all need to aggressively stand up to the those you reference but the sports page is not the venue. Kansas BBall showed during the "days of rage" to be a unifying force. We can all cheer on our Hawks.

Suzi,

Sports should bring unity, at least being Jayhawk fans should. With that said, they brought their hypocrisy here to the sports pages. If the same persons said the same thing this week about the politically loaded posts that were made here and flagged my post for removal and lit those people up like they did to me, then I wouldn't have anything to say. They brought their biases here and they are not tolerant or civil. They have no will to be either.

So, if they leave, oh well. I'm betting KUsports.com has lost better people as visitors than them. They made it personal. They have to be willing to come to terms with how they behaved and be honest with themselves about it. They know that my position is a valid one, and that might be why they're not commenting here today and why it's actually civil today.

Eliott Reeder

Hey Micky, STOP WHINING. Thanks...

Micky Baker

Eliott, can you find someone else's ankles to bite?

Walter Bridges

I just wish we could leave politics behind on these KU basketball sites. 99% of the regulars support the 'hawks but differ in recruiting strategies, using a zone or a million other topics than politics.

Harlan Hobbs

I'll take the Koch's over the communist George Soros any day. At least, they love America.

Don Papst

Amen to that Harlan.

Steve Zimmerman

It'll be a pleasant surprise if KU could beat NM. Go Jayhawks!

Walter Bridges

You'll be surprised?

Steve Zimmerman

Well, dang.. wouldn't have thought we could play at that high level thinking Ellis was still bothered by his injury, Lucas by his hip discomfort..
Yes, I am surprised! But a very happy day, indeed!!!

Brandon Dey 1 day, 20 hours ago
Get over yourself.
Your history on this site is to over react emotionally on any subject at any time without warning. Your track record for taking the high road or even admitting you might be wrong on something you said is not that good.
You say so many questionable things I could not help myself. Once I started to incur your wrath, which is so predictable, I knew you were going to go off like a bull in a china shop. Which you did.
If you tell me what will get you off my back let me know. I do not need a crazy person who holds grudges for months stalking me on this site. Other than you it is a nice place to post about my favorite team.
Let me know how to stop the crazy!

That was posted on my wall from Brandon Dey, and he accuses me of stalking him? No other person has ever posted on my wall but Brandon Dey, and he accuses me of stalking him. I didn't post on his wall.

He said so many things that aren't true. A word of caution. He posted it in a public place.

Hint: Brandon. Stop. If you want this to end, the ball is in your court. Stop. I don't want to take this further. Stop coming to my email and to my wall.

Brandon Dey

Micky you posted on my wall 6 days ago, I was replying to you. If you did not want me to reply on your wall, you should have put that in the post after you told me to "Grow Up" I was asking you in the live post to tell me how to back away from you. Your angry terse reply is on my wall. Mine is now on yours, forever. It is an honest account of you in my eyes, as you said to me on my wall everyone gets to have their own opinion. ( you are going to have be more clear on how you want me to reply to you if you are going to hold me accountable for specific conditions)

You have brought this all on yourself, again. Like you always do it appears, fighting your own demons in your own way. Lashing out at anyone for anything, at anytime for real or perceived or paranoid reasons.

You ask above why no one is rushing to your defense, to jump on your side for something. No one wants to. We put up with you on here. Some of us, most of us it looks like, endure your wrath till you get distracted by something or someone else. Even this week you have rehashed old grudges against this site, and other posters that happened months ago. Why carry that anger so long unless you like to.

When you stick to basketball as Joe says you have keen insight. All the other junk is unnecessary. Just my opinion.

You sow the seeds you reap.

Micky Baker

I told you to grow up because you said to go yell at somebody else. I already explained to you why I did it. That should suffice. I did it because the live blog ended. Rodney did because he's not civil. He knows it. You're doing it because you're dishonest.

I don't need anyone to defend me, by the way.

This can stop when Rodney and you stop. I have had tried to have conversations with Rodney since this but he's still disrespectful, and you were too about the sports illustrated article. Don't pretend like you didn't intentionally instigate it. Then you play victim. PLEASE, spare me the fake outrage!

Micky Baker

By the way, there is only ONE person who emailed me with their disgust. Rodney Crain. Only one person posted on my wall. Brandon Dey. I've received more than that in support of me. Rodney and Brandon are posting in another article about some sort of petition with "97 signatures". But they didn't post these emails/posts on my wall from them to me.

And they play all innocent out here in front of you.

Rodney admitted it was a lot of fun to intentionally post things that he knew would garner an emotional response, which by the way is a violation of the Lawrence Journal World's TOS.

So, I'm asking for these two guys to stop. I bet they didn't want you to know what they posted in places you don't or can't look.

Brandon Dey

Micky you are doing it again. We are not talking about you. Look at those posts. Where do either us of say what we are doing is about you?

Rodney showed me a place where you can go to talk about online abusers, their term. You post your story and others on the site reply and talk to you about things that have happened to them and what they would do. Their comments are like hugs, and support. In the short time I have been on it, about a day now, I have over 100 replies.

I think it is going to be helpful for me. There is no petition about you. In fact what they said was that it is like whack a mole, if you remove one, another, or the same person just pops up. The focus is on you not the other persons anger or delusions.

I can't speak for Rodney, only me, but I have some positive things to work on when dealing with folks like you.

Brandon,

You think I was being abusive with you regarding the Sports Illustrated article? I don't know what happened to you before this, and I don't want to know. But if you are having issues, I'm glad you're getting help. I don't feel abused. I feel that Rodney is a hypocrite and that he isn't facing himself honestly.

By the way, what was the petition about anyway, and why was it necessary to post in a thread I was involved in? What kind of response were you two trying to get? Just leave me out of your problems and don't pretend like I'm the cause of them.

Brandon Dey

Micky I am not going to be able to continue any further communications with you after this post. Find someone else to haunt. Reality escapes you as you repeatedly show, and your lack of understanding is stunning. You completely lack comprehension sometimes, it is astounding how selective you are, it truly is. See you are the abuser, not that you are abused. Astonishing.

There was never a petition, this site as you well know, lets you post just about anything you want, wherever you want, you do this all the time, like in this thread, here right now, and you don't control it. I believe you wish you did. So I don't really care about what you think should have been done or where. You just jumped to conclusions like you always do and are embarrassed. You really have no moral basis, no checks no balances.

You are the opposite of everything I respect. I will not engage with someone like you anymore it is pointless. I refuse to enable you to spread your one sided warped views at my behalf.

Micky Baker

Brandon, why started this crap. Now you're pretending like you're a victim. All you had to do is not instigate. Please, never post to me, about me, on my wall, or any emails to me. And please, seek help.

Micky Baker

Here's some posts from Rodney in the same article I posted a link to above.

Rodney Crain 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Its ok Micky have a glass of chocolate milk and watch some cartoons.

^^^ It looks like he was trying to take the "high ground", doesn't it? That's sarcasm

Rodney Crain 1 month, 3 weeks ago
HEY MICKY isn't this fun. You poor simple minded fool. Who the heck cares where the truce was offered. My you are like a narrow mined mouse, wheres the cheese, wheres the cheese.
DO you want a truce or not? Out the in the open so you stop bringing this up too. sigh
Up to you.... Again without cussing Micky.

^^^And again, another personal attack.

Rodney Crain 1 month, 3 weeks ago
LOL this explains so much Micky, so much. Thank you for this classless post.
Another post that has nothing to do with the players, program and coach. What a shock.
Ahhhhh I feel so vindincated. :)))

^^^^ Yep, taking the high ground. He thought I was going to back down from him or something.

Rodney Crain 1 month, 3 weeks ago
Micky, my little buddy, you are in self defense mode for acting a little foolish, I understand why you are lashing out. This is going to be great to see you try to explain yourself.
Regret can only exist when reason is applied. Alas, it is understandable why you have no regret.
priceless. just priceles.

^^^ Do you see someone there who isn't intentionally doing this?

Micky Baker

Do you notice them saying anything about the post above about the Koch Brothers or about the Right Wing Wacko Arena a couple of days back? No, they're not.

And see this.

Mick Allen 1 month, 3 weeks ago
As one recently chastised, and rightfully so,for a comment I made 2 weeks ago, politics and religion are not appropriate issues to be debated on this site Mr. Baker. Pull your head out as I did.

The same one that did it in this thread lectured me in the same article. But nobody flagged his post for removal, or bragged about it, or piled on him for it. And by the way, if they did pile on him for it, I would defend him against it. But I will not defend those that did it to me, but didn't say the same things here and on Monday.

Ron Prichard

Seriously, guys? If you guys want to argue do it somewhere else. This is a sports page. The fact that neither one of you can let it go or let the other have the last word is bordering on comical. Not to be blunt, but nobody else cares about your personal political views. Now, can we all agree on one thing?
Rock Chalk, Jayhawk!

Micky Baker

Brandon Dey and Rodney Crain are the same person. He needs help. He's in denial.

Zac Graves

+1,000

Vernon Riggs

I ran out of popcorn but I don't want to miss anything. This is better than the soaps in the Spanish channel.

Code_2008

Just go make another batch, judging by the time stamps, they went to bed, and there looks to be a good chance they'll continue soon.

Rodney Crain

Hmm This is interesting --

Do you know a Rage-aholic?

Contrary to popular belief, “rage-aholic” is an actual disorder that affects up to 16 million Americans, although the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders -IV refers to it as the descriptive term “intermittent explosive disorder.” People diagnosed with intermittent explosive disorder, or IED, experience sudden attacks of rage, often for no reason. In some cases, specific triggers cause the onset of an explosive attack, but in many cases, there is no real source of the anger. It can be normal and even healthy for the average person to lose his or her temper after having to stay restrained for long enough, but for a person with IED, there is no restraint, only rage.

Staff, Mayo Clinic. “Intermittent Explosive Disorder.” Mayo Clinic. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 18 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.
“Treating Intermittent Explosive Disorder.” Harvard Health Publications. N.p., n.d. Web. 18 Dec. 2012.

Micky Baker

Rodney, stop the crap. The only reason this continues is you.

Vernon Riggs

I hope your treatments work. Bless your heart.