Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Source: David Beaty expected to be named KU's head coach, perhaps as soon as today

Kansas University wide receivers coach David Beaty, right, delivers instructions to KU wideout D.J. Beshears on April 18 at the KU practice field. Beaty rejoined the Jayhawks’ staff after serving as offensive coordinator at Rice last season.

It looks like the timeline for the the Kansas University coaching hire has moved up drastically and, according to multiple sources, an announcement could come as soon as this afternoon.

It looks as if Texas A&M; recruiting coordinator and wide receivers coach David Beaty has emerged as the clear leader for the job and may be named the 38th coach in KU history before the end of the day.

According to a source, the KU assistant coaches were asked to leave the football complex today because someone of some importance was coming through later. According to online flight tracking, there is a plane en route to Lawrence from College Station, Texas.

Beaty was believed to be a strong candidate throughout the process, with his recruiting ties in Texas and past experience at KU giving him two important qualities for the job based on what KU athletic director Sheahon Zenger outlined as key factors before the search fully began.

Beaty, 44, worked on the staff of Mark Mangino at Kansas from 2008-09 and for one year under Turner Gill in 2011.

According to USA Today, he made $359,500 at A&M; in 2013. He is expected to make at least twice as much as that plus incentives at KU.

Stay tuned for more updates as this story develops.

Comments

Joe Joseph

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Janet Olin

Agreed. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Chris Oestreich

I hope I am wrong but I don't have a good feeling about this guy!!!!!

Bobby Oviemena Birhiray

Yess sirrr....

Brandon Mahon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Please dont hire him as the HC.. I am praying it is as the OC and Warinner will announce Monday after they lose this Saturday

Viraj Amin

Ask former players how they feel about Warinner, than you'll understand why he didn't get the job.

Brandon Mahon

Or ask all the OSU players and fans who love him and did not want him to leave the program...... He runs a tight shift and develops men in the trenches and that is what we needed. He probably told SZ he was not going to have Bowen as DC and SZ and hurt his feelings.

I hope I can say in 2-3 years that I was completely wrong and this works out but right now I am crying inside a little.

Beau Parker

I have herd the same lack of sentiment from former players about Warinner.

Landon Brown

He would probably keep Bowen. .. interesting development.

Erich Hartmann

Seems like a lateral move compared to Bowen, other than possible recruiting connections to Texas...?

David Meredith

I honestly have no idea. He does have connection to the University, and connections in Texas recruiting, so those 2 things are good. Will see if Bowen stays as DC. Beaty on offense, Bowen on defense.

Tom Hanson

We need players and if Beaty is the best at recruiting .... and can assemble a great group of assistants (including Bowen), then he is my man. We need play makers and depth at every position.

John Strayer

Correction...we need to develop players...KSU kick our rear ends with Seniors who started out as walk ons...Charlie Weiss was a recruiter and that went no where.

Allison Steen

I HATE YOU FRIDAY. And you too, Zenger.

John Myers

ESPN is running it on the Sportscenter update sidebar

Bobby Oviemena Birhiray

Will he stay at KU?

Brandon Mahon

No I have a feeling he will dart for the first better job that comes calling, but he would actually have to win games for that.

Steve Hillyer

Consider me underwhelmed by the choice though admittedly no one who was realistic would have overwhelmed me, state of the program.

Fred Davis

Nothing about this hire excites me. What makes him more qualified to be the head man any more than Bowen...? Zenger is a clown and he's a joke of an AD. Time will tell, but I'm neither impressed nor optimistic.

Jared Willhoft

Makes him more qualified to be the head man than Bowen? Look at the players he's recruited and developed. Bowen has never had to go out and recruit, Beaty has been doing that for years. He's way more qualified.

Jay Hawkinson

I don't get all the negativity. I think Beaty is the lowest risk of any of the candidates. I never thought that Charlie Weis would be a good coach, but my hope was that he could recruit well and set up the next coach for immediate success. Then he gave all the scholarships to JUCO transfers who never saw the field. If Beaty can stack the roster with 3 star recruits from Texas, he will leave the program in good shape even if he doesn't work out as head coach.

David Meredith

I would agree that high school in Texas is where you need to hit the hardest, and hopefully find a difference maker at QB. Recruit these guys and try to keep them in the program.

Cody Riedy

KU's recruiting has already had 3-star recruits and not been all that far behind K-State's, so unless the guy can coach and develop it won't matter, because those 3-stars are going to be lining up against 4 and 5 stars.

Mark Palmer

KU's recruiting classes over the last three or four years has actually been equal or slightly ahead of KSU according to rivals. Reggie Mitchell is the reason for that.

Bobby Oviemena Birhiray

If this flops without Bowen on staff want's the countdown on Dr. Z? Or if KU retain Bowen as DC and things go arid , will there be a controversy with the fans and Dr. Z?

Randy Bombardier

Well unfortunately we need to give five years to the new coach. Next year may be tough. It'll take time to right this ship. I don't think this is the best hire by any means but its not the worst. Five years will be enough time to rebuild and make methodical progress. This time our ad will give the time because when the boosters say times up it'll be for two. I don't see this as giving the program stability which was the attraction of Bowen. Darn I want to be positive but I'm dumbfounded.

Janet Olin

Disagree about 5 yrs. Many think 3 years is reasonable. I hope Zenger is out the door waaaaay sooner than that. Like tomorrow, maybe?? I will continue to cheer for and support KU football, but this hire sucks, and Zenger sucks 10x over.

Randy Bombardier

Well he better get a beck of a line coach. If we can't coach our boys up in the trenches we're sunk. All that wasted time with Pierson because we couldn't get him the ball in space. The waste of Bourbon, Miller and Cox because there's no hole to run through. I'll say it again the common theme with the success of Mangino and Mason was that they were former line coaches. Coach Beaty better get a big budget for the rest of his staff.

Waylon Cook

Wickline made sense no one ever mentioned him.

Bill Hill

Looks like Bowen is on as DC. According to his nephew's comments on Facebook.

Logan Johnson

Nothing about this is good. Terrible, terrible hire. 5 more years of awful football. The other programs in the FBS are literally laughing at us.

AJ Cleland

Meh. If this article is accurate, and Zenger has hired Beaty as the next HC, both of them will be gone in 3 years or less.

Robert Brock

Has this kid even served as a coordinator?

And why believe he can beat UT, OU, A&M, Baylor, TCU, TTech, or O-State for a recruit out of the Lone Star State? It has never happened.

Cody Riedy

Exactly, not one 4 or 5 star recruit is going to choose David Beaty over any of the schools you mentions in addition to the entire SEC. Maybe we can compete with TTU, who has been hanging around the bottom with us already.

Jay Hawkinson

$5 says Brett is Clint Bowen's mom.

Jeff Seymour

Poor Hire! He may be a good recruiter but how many coaches are out recuiting on Friday nights during the season...whats the over and under on how long he will last?

Dale Rogers

I read an article saying Beaty was twiced passed over for HC at A&M. So why would we want to take that chance if A&M didn't? Seems to me we'd be better off to go with Bowen.

Hopefully, at this point the flight from A&M and making the football complex available has more to do with this being an interview and not a hiring announcement.

Randy Bombardier

Where's Cramer? Was he just Beaty s agent?

Doug Cramer

lol

kellerman411

Not sure why everyone thinks this is such a bad hire. If you love Bowen and Kisaeu so much, aren't you excited to see what they can do with more talent? Beaty has coached at 4 of the major high schools in the DFW metroplex, people there love him. In fact, he currently has a pledge from the #1 overall prospect for 2016.. it's an offensive lineman. Who knows if he would follow Beaty to KU but that is the kind of guy we're dealing with.

Who cares if he can coach.. we have coaches for that. His job is to sell this program, fill the roster with talent and stimulate booster dollars to get the program back on the national stage.

Cody Riedy

I'm going to guess that that OL picked TAM, not David Beaty, and next year that same guy will pick TAM not David Beaty.

Bobby Oviemena Birhiray

Jason, it's not just DFW. If you want to turn the football team look at the Houston area and Texas NFL athletes. Houston will be a come theme. Another is half of them are 3 star or below athletes. Asks LSU, Texas, Oregon and A&M.

Mike Barnhart

I didn't want a recruiting specialist, I wanted a tough, detailed, tireless, inspirational head coach! Let's hope Beaty's two best recruits are his coordinators!!!

Jay Hawkinson

Snyder is not inspirational. He is all those other things, though.

Kyle Sybesma

I don't care what anyone above says, I like the hire. I'm in. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!! Let's beat the crap out of Florida tonight

Jocelyn Kennedy

This seems wrong and I echo most of the previous comments. I am very disappointed.

kellerman411

This was a good move. You can't keep looking for the next Bill Snyder. What he has done in Manhattan defies all logic. Most teams, despite "hard work" and "attention to detail", can't win with in-state walk-ons.. Anyone not named KSU is going to have to recruit! This man CAN RECRUIT. I agree that the staff he assembles is absolutely key in his chances at success.

Jared Willhoft

Lol where has Bowen ever recruited at?

Doug Cramer

Agree Kellerman !

Ethan Berger

I can't believe we didn't get a hall of fame coach! At Kansas, we expect to only get the best with our football program! I mean, seriously, the only good head coaches ever had never been assistants. (that was sarcasm). This guy has proven he can develop players. He has time in Mark Manginos and Kevin Sumlins spread offense, has made some stinking good receivers, has great recruiting ties. Yea I wanted Bowen to get this job, but this is a hire I can live with. Keep Bowen on as DC to make sure no one transfers and then go get some talent. I like it.

Jay Hawkinson

Beaty is not as proven as we would like since he's only been an offensive coordinator for one year at Rice, but he's been very good in the roles that he has had as a receivers coach and recruiting coordinator. So his resume doesn't give us enough to be certain he'll be a good head coach, but someone please show me the evidence that should lead us to believe he won't be successful. The only thing I can think of is that Sumlin has passed on him twice for the offensive coordinator position. But a) many think he would've been the choice this time if Spavital takes the Tulsa job, b) Sumlin keeping in the recruiting coordinator position might say more about his value in that role than about his potential as a play caller, c) the fact that Sumlin, one of the better offensive minds in the game, can find two guys who are better at X's and O's than Beaty is not necessarily a great reason for concern.

To me this seems like a guy who so far has provided every indication that he could be a good head coach, it's just that most power 5 programs would like to see one or two good years as an offensive coordinator before they're convinced. KU is in bad shape right now, so we have to settle for someone who is on a good trajectory but a year or two away from being totally proven.

Aaron Paisley

Turner Gill was a finalist for Nebraska and Auburn. How'd that work out?

Jay Hawkinson

No KU connection? He's come here to be an assistant twice, the second time taking a demotion to do so. Bowen is literally the only qualified candidate who fits that criteria better.

There's also a lot of speculation that Zenger accelerated the timeline because Beaty was going to be offered the coordinator position at A&M. If KU didn't hire him, someone else would a year or two from now after he's had some success as OC, and it would look like a home run hire. That doesn't mean he would go on to be a smashing success, but on paper that would look like a great hire.

Walter McKinley

I am truly disheartened by this move. I have nothing against Beaty, but I do not see this being a huge plus over Bowen in any way. What KU needs is a coach with patience, teaching ability, passion, and desire. Bowen exemplifies every one of these traits, and the local kids think very highly of him. I do see some of the recruits and current players deciding to go elsewhere after seeing Zenger pass over the heart of KU football. Welp the optimism was nice while it lasted. At least we can credit Zenger with one great hire in Self.....oh wait....never mind. It was nice being in 9th place in the Big 12 standings....back to last.

Jim Jackson

Some of these comments are so laughable. Beaty is very well connected; I am sure he will assemble a great staff. Dallas Morning News voted him the best recruiter in Dallas; this was polled by the HS coaches in the area,. Jayhawkslant also confirmed that several Dallas HS coaches would steer recruits his way.

In regards to people dismissing the fact that he can out recruit other schools; he's been doing it for years (go ahead, insert part about how A&M is easier to recruit to) . He's also learned under some pretty impressive coaches like Mangino and Todd Graham (ASU HC).

In one season as OC at Rice they went from the 100's to 50's, besides Sonny Cumbie as OC at TCU this year; please tell me who else has done that in the past 10 years?

And as I mentioned before, he coached numerous 3 star guys into All American WR's and Biletnikoff finalists.

Is it a risk? Of course it is but what candidate that we were eligible for wasn't??

For those clamoring for Warriner- sure he would have been solid but he was passed over by Army- twice, even as he was a long time assistant.

Many believe he can flip the roster with talent the quickest; time to get behind him and Bowen as DC!! Rock Chalk!!

Aaron Paisley

Jim, how'd David Beatty fare as an offensive coordinator in 2011?

Jim Jackson

Aaaon, don't be willingly naive. The entire team sucked and you know it

Aaron Paisley

Why leave out that part of resume when trying say how great he is? I'll ask you another question, what was Rice's record in 2010?

W Keith Swinehart II

First, we don't know that he's hired yet. Second, Zenger has the best overall view of anybody, plus he's accountable, which no one who is posting is. Accountability is huge, in case nobody knows. Third, Beaty seems to be a good fit if Bowen stays on. If things stay the same nearly every coach has some Kansas in their blood, and a commitment to the program would be insured. Finally, one thing that we sorely need in our program is consistency. Until we have that we have no chance at ever building a program.

If the new team is successful everybody's resume is vastly improved, and their chosen profession chances are sky high.

I believe we are on the right track, and this will be an excellent decision. Let's keep the program moving.

Waylon Cook

Weis and Bonnie's extension. NOONE can defend Zenger. That's his legacy and now this.

Kevin Randell

Well, if this is the case, all I can say is he was not the guy I had wanted. One sliver of hope is that he will keep Bowen. All I hope is that he will be able to recruit Texas, as well as keep the kids in Kansas IN Kansas.

Stan Unruh

Dabo Swinney was a WR coach before taking over at Clemson… It worked well for them.

Jim Jackson

Good call

Jared Willhoft

I can't believe some of these comments, Bowen would not be able to even scratch the surface of the recruits Beaty will be able to. Beaty was the right guy and you all will come to realize that. Rock Chalk

Allison Steen

Beaty could've maybe come in as OC and helped us get those recruits. But A&M passed over him twice for that so that means KU hires him as head coach. logical.

Jared Willhoft

He wasn't "passed over" he was kept as the recruiting coordinator so he could spend more time recruiting. Lol it's pretty simple. Bottom line is that he was more proven than Bowen and wayyy better upside.

Allison Steen

If Sumlin thought he'd be a good coordinator, he'd make him one. Its a bad sign whether you want to believe it or not.

John Fitzgerald

I don't mind the hire. But I would bring in a different DC than Bowen and have him be a DB Coach/Assistant Recuriting Coordinator. I'd let him get as much experience recruiting as he can so he can be prepared to be HC when Beaty moves on or gets fired in 2-5 years. I've never heard of Bowen being a great recruiter and it's something every coach should be good at. Also, if we have all this money left to pay an OC and DC I would like to spend it on top notch guys. Bring in Tim Beck or Ed Warriner as OC and an Assistant DC at a power program as DC.

Brandon Mahon

I think that is the reason we are not announcing Warinner.... Beaty probably said that he would keep Bowen as DC... I doubt he brings in someone new. And DO NOT BRING TIM BECK... Also I highly doubt that Warinner comes here as OC after not getting the HC job and being at OSU

John Fitzgerald

Yea I hear ya. I just don't get why keeping the same staff will create different results. Most of the fault is on Weis, but it's not all on him. I would bring in a different DC and OC at least, and then maybe place the other guys around them to improve. But I'm not a coach or a professional at any of this so what do I know. I'm just a fan that wants us to win at least 5 games a year.

Brandon Mahon

I think we need a DC for sure because the defense looked absolutely pathetic against KSU and OU, yeah they are good teams but that was ridiculous. Keep Bowen at LB or Co-DC but not head DC. I think Kiesau did a good job with the offense and he was very successful at Washington and he did well with the receivers and I think Mitchell needs to be kept because of his recruiting and his development of our RB the past years.

John Fitzgerald

I agree with all of that.

Allison Steen

Why would Warinner make a lateral move to be OC at KU over OC at OSU?

John Fitzgerald

He's not OC at OSU right now .. he's an Assitant OC/O-Line Coach ... And with Beaty's contract it looks like we'll have more money to work with in bringing in more qualified Coordinators. Maybe we can offer more than OSU? Again, just my opinions. I'm not a professional, just a fan that wants to win more than 2-3 games a year.

Frank McGuinness

Thats very kind of you to call that a lateral move vs a downgrade.

Allison Steen

haha true. I guess it would be a downgrade.

Brandon Mahon

There is no way in heck...... he was passed over for the HC I doubt he come as the OC/OL coach but god would I praise the lord if he did

Bradley Bransky

We filled a bushel basket with money and went out and got one of the best b-ball head coaches ever. Why not do the same for football? Watch, KU will probably add another few million to the string of fired head football coaches getting richer having the luck to get fired.

Clint should have been given a chance.

Ron Prichard

So, did you want a high-paid proven winner ("Why not do the same for football?") or did you want Clint Bowen, who is obviously the opposite of that (no experience, relatively inexpensive option)?

Brian Skelly

Im not sure anyone here should be getting overly positive or negative at this point. It hasnt even happened yet. Why does anyone think he's going to be worse than Bowen at this point? Thats crimson colored glasses stuff right there folks. I'd love Bowen to stick around as well, but lets be honest... if we were to become the HC it would have happened already. My guess is Beaty was either number 1,2,3 on the list. People wallowing over Bowen need to check themselves. We still finished 3-9. Is going 3-9 every year, but feeling better about the situation better than struggling, then going bowling, and then feeling even better? Im just failing to see the currency of being an beloved alum outweighing actual results and production here. And in fairness to Bowen, he was put in (pardon the pun) a no win situation. And if were going to be totally honest, its not like Bowen was ever even remotely considered for other D-I head coaching jobs. So in that aspect, Im failing to see what all the whining is about. If Beaty bombs, Bowen may be back -- and Zenger will be gone.

Frank McGuinness

He went 3-9 taking over an abysmal program filled with previous missteps and our two best RB's injured and still managed to get a B12 win.

Nick Cole

Ooh, 1 whole B12 win? Wow, hire that guy right away, he must be amazing. Oh, wait...

Beau Parker

I feel like KU Football's iPod has "One step forward and two steps back" on repeat.

Waylon Cook

Dameyune Craig
Co-Offensive Coordinator/ Wide Receivers Coach

His WR's scored 44 at Bama

Seems me using that as a comparison is more than Zenger did.

Eliott Reeder

This is all Doug Cramer's fault.

Allison Steen

hahahaha

Doug Cramer

HA !

Chris Ramsey

My thought is the committee and SZ figured they could have a staff with Bowen and Beaty or a staff with Bowen but no Beaty. As crazy as it sounds Bowens dedication to KU might have actually hurt his chances to be HC. If SZ believes he will stick around and Beaty is on board why not have both guys.

Beaty opens doors in Texas and as previous articles mention Bowen will open doors in KC. I was pulling for Bowen but I like a staff with both guys involved. Who I knows maybe Bowen will be a DC/ associate HC. Maybe Beaty rights the ship moves on to bigger and better jobs and Bowen gets his dream job.

Aaron Paisley

What doors does Beaty open that a certain former Dallas Cowboys head coach currently on KU's staff not already have open for KU?

The biggest deal is what recruits can Beaty actually bring into KU and how well can the staff he assembles develop the talent that is brought in.

Chris Ramsey

I wonder if Campo would have stuck around if Bowen was hired. Either way I'm happy with both Beaty and Bowen being on the staff. I also wouldn't mind seeing Mitchell, Campo, and Kiesau stick around. I know Reagan wasn't the most popular guy but I d o like him as an OL coach.

I can't wait to see who Beaty brings in to fill out the staff. I agree I hope they can develop talent because it won't matter who we have recruiting if they can't coach them up.

Jared Willhoft

LOL people are saying Beaty is "unproven" "he's just a recruiter", and that Bowen has showed "passion". First of all a school, ad, fanbase, boosters, and alumni should all EXPECT passion for the program. Everyone appeared shocked that Bowen was so passionate, that's a coaches JOB! Beaty could of waited for another more exciting job to open but he didn't and chose KU which already shows passion. And for the people who say he is "unproven" he is TWICE as proven as Clint Bowen and has an infinite amount of recruiting experience and success. All this negativity is dumb. Get behind the man and show him support.

Cody Riedy

1. When the dust is settled and everything is finalized, most people will "get behind" him and show support because everyone wants KU football to improve more than we want to win a message board argument about who the best HC candidate is.

2. Skepticism is not the same thing as negativity. After the last two hires, you expect everyone to immediately jump for joy without any hesitancy at all?

3. Sure, everyone should have "passion" for the program, but I think the point people are making is that we all acknowledge that despite our own love for Ol' KU, we're probably never going to be anyone's first choice, so it's hard not to have some attraction to a guy who values our home state and our school, regardless of the impact on W-L's such "passion" has.

4. Because of our realism, not negativity, about where KU stands in the pecking order of college football, it is reasonable to be skeptical that we will be able to recruit our way past other teams in the league and we are skeptical of a candidate whose "main" claim to fame is his recruiting prowess.

5. You're right, Beaty could have waited for another job, in fact, he has to, because despite all of his "next-big-thing" status, no one has offered him another job yet.

None of this means Beaty won't work out, but virtually the entire history of KU football suggest he won't workout, so forgive a bruised fan base for some gnashing of teeth as we are sold the next quick-fix to the program.

Frank McGuinness

All of these "recruiting" comments are pretty lame considering A) we aren't going to get any 4-5 star recruits no matter who is recruiting and B) I'm pretty confident in our ability to recruit Texas between Reggie and Dave both of whom have been good in the Dallas area in particular.

Waylon Cook

Harbaugh was in a limo and we pick up Beaty in what a mid level Toyota SUV?

Frank McGuinness

If it was a black 4-runner then it was Zengers personal car.

Waylon Cook

our AD drives a 4runnr?

Frank McGuinness

yes, is there something wrong with that? He's on a pretty reasonable salary for an AD too.

Waylon Cook

lol you totally missed the point.

Kevin Randell

Like I said, Beaty was not my Number One guy, but I am on board with whoever will right the ship. So, I will look on the bright side. This guy will being an offense that we haven't seen since Mangino was here. I really just hope his Texas recruiting experience does pay off, and he can bring some of that magic up here. Good luck coach. Now I'm off to renew my season tickets for next year. Rock Chalk!

Frank McGuinness

Any predictions on the response he will get when he is announced at the game tonight? I think there will be a solid mix of cheers and boos.

Cody Riedy

I think it would be a bad idea to announce him at the game tonight, unless Bowen is staying as DC and is part of the introduction. Even if everyone comes around to love Beaty, I'd think the AD would recognize Bowen's popularity would make for a potentially rough reception.

Waylon Cook

Zenger already decided Bowen was staying. Just what a new coach wants is being told what to do.

Code_2008

I'd rather have Bowen.

Waylon Cook

The Nevy score must have hurt Fritz. Not like Zenger ever called him.

John Fitzgerald

I can understand that not everyone is "excited" over this hire, but it's a little too early to call it a bad hire. And a few people have commented that they hope Beaty isn't announced at the KU basketball game tonight, but I hope and pray that it won't be an issue. Could you imagine people booing a new HC? How bad would that make our University look? I just hope people show class and understand this is a business and not a popularity contest. I'll support Beaty until he gives me reason not to.

Cody Riedy

Maybe it should be a popularity contest, because the people in "the business" at KU haven't managed to get it right in the entire history of KU football. How many coaches have won, stayed, and retired a success from KU? Sure, sit back and let the professionals do there work, huh?

John Fitzgerald

Well it's not a popularity contest .. And you're right they haven't done a good job with the past two hires. It still doesn't change that this is all about business. I guess you can either support him or not, but all I'm hoping is that fans that are upset at least stay civil and show some class when he's announced.

John Fitzgerald

Yea I agree it could be done differently. But if it isn't, I hope the fans are at least respectful.

Doug Cramer

Good Post John

John Fitzgerald

Thanks Doug.

AJ Cleland

And some more public opinion: https://www.facebook.com/BOWEN4HC/pos...

Doug Cramer

AJ - Thats when you know Zenger made the right choice. When the KU football fan sentiment is at an all time low.

Here's to bringing in some Texas size and talent on the D-line and O-line.

Cody Riedy

Doug you're a tool. Your condescending attitude toward everyone else's opinion is obnoxious. You've never offered anything insightful in your comments on here. Doug Cramer: "We should hire a successful coach from a successful program who can successfully scheme and successfully develop and successfully recruit." Oh wow, thanks for the insight. You seem like one of those people who might be 1 point smarter than average but not smart enough to realize you are not that smart.

That aside, Beaty may prove to be the next Bear Bryant, I hope he does. But nothing is guaranteed and considering the entire history of KU football, there's nothing unreasonable about fans showing hesitancy.

Doug Cramer

Preciate the kind words Cody. Try to enjoy your weekend.

Cody Riedy

You're welcome and with regards to my weekend, I'm enjoying it already, though I admit, I don't have much planned. I might take the kids to visit grandpa and grandma, but we'll see. I get tired of the 2-hour drive on I70 to get there, but hey, that's a first-world problem, right.

Doug Cramer

Going to the grandparents is always a special treat. Drive safe.

Allison Steen

Oh good. You guys kissed and made up.

Cody Riedy

Given the current headlines, perhaps Doug and I should be hired as consultants to teach police the art of deescalation. It wasn't so hard.

Micky Baker

all-time low? You never do fail at saying idiotic things.

Andy Hess

Personally, I wanted Warinner, but Beaty has the recruiting chops to get it done in Texas, and he knows how to develop the wide receiver position. I'm okay with the hire.

Michael Leiker

My perspective on this, after spending way too much of my life trying to have a perspective on what the right decision is here, is to forget about it and not have a perspective any more and just cheer for the dang team. It's a crap shoot anyway...

Michael Maris

Here we go again. So many people on here displaying their negative thoughts on the hiring of another KU Football Coach. The one thing that you need to think about. Coaches who are disciplined in doing even the SMALL things, they most generally do very well. And, Coach Beaty does pay attention to the SMALL things.

My thoughts are this (as well), hire Tim Beck to be the QB / OC and the DL coach from Nebraska as well. That way, perhaps the Davis twins from Lee Summit will follow the DL coach from Nebraska to Lawrence. Beck has a lot of Texas connections as well.

I'm sick and tired of the nay sayers on this site who do NOT support the HC hires with the Jayhawks. Yes, some bad hires have been made. But, there have been some good hires as well.

So, are you going to support the newly hired HC (David Beaty)? Or, are you going to be on this site and complain more and more? If so, go find a different site to display your pleasure in these early days of the Beaty tenure.

Aaron Paisley

So is someone not allowed to support Beaty while thinking it's a questionable hire at the same time?

Cody Riedy

The eternal optimism of sports fans almost always wins out, so no matter how much some might doubt this hire, they'll hope for success and look forward to next season. It's not like people are talking about boycotting games and egging the guy's house when he moves to town. Furthermore, as everyone so loves to pontificate about, "it's a business," so if Beaty starts to produce results, everyone will love him. It's been 10 minutes into his rumored tenure, we really don't need to start preaching the whole "rally around the flag" mentality yet. Geez. By Monday, I'll be explaining vigorously to my non-KU friends how KU football is about to make a Baylor-like turn around.

Len Shaffer

I don't know enough about Beaty to have an informed opinion at this point, but if we all adhere to your dictates, Michael, all comments on this site from now on would basically be identical, to the point of: "Wow, this is great. Gee willickers, I can't wait for football season to start!" Wouldn't that make this site pretty boring???

Michael Maris

And, the Ohio State people are elated that Warriner's still in their camp. But, Warriner won't be there for ever. He's to good of a coach to not get a HC job. Just the way that the ball bounces (so to speak). I was in support of Coach Warriner, Beaty and Bowen. Also, I would've been fine with Willie Fritz. But, Zenger made his decision. In a few seasons, we will find out how good of decision Zenger made. I have to think that Zenger learned his lesson with the Weis hiring. Time will tell. Welcome back to Lawrence, Kansas Coach Beaty. By the way, Beaty played college ball at Lindenwood U. (here in St. Charles, Missouri).

Brandon Pope

Goodness. Everybody needs to chill out. The was a decision that has been in the works for weeks with the input of many people around the program including that search committee. This is a guy that was on just about everyone's wishlist when the search began but when big time coaches names come up from end-of-season movement, many KU fans gets delusions of grandeur.

He is a young, up-and-coming coach known to be a phenomenal recruiter in the markets we need. He is passionate, pays attention to detail and has shown he can develop talent. Unproven as a leader, yes, and I can understand that concern. But this is a good hire and the combo of him on offense and Bowen on defense has the potential to be very very positive.

Now can everyone just relax and let this thing develop some more before you proclaim the guy is doomed from the start?

Logan Johnson

We had Warinner on a silver platter. It just doesn't make sense to me, look at the credentials.

Andy Hess

you don't know if we "had" Warinner at all, let alone on a silver platter.

Jay Hawkinson

The reports indicate that Beaty really wowed the search committee in his phone interview.

Ted Toulouse

the reaction at the game tonight will be interesting if they make an announcement.
I'm pretty luke-warm on the hire. VERY wait and see, especially if he retains Bowen as DC. I appreciate his enthusiasm for the program and the fire he instilled in a lethargic team, but not sold on his coaching/recruiting.

Time will tell - tired of sucking...

Daniel Reinigungsmittel

If they introduce Beaty at tonight's game, they better have Bowen walk out with him or I guarantee there will be a big fat chorus of boos.

Len Shaffer

If you're right about that, Daniel, that's absolutely pathetic and KU doesn't ever deserve to have a good FB team.

I'm not saying that I think Beaty will be great; I don't know yet. But to react like that to a new hire would be absolutely horrible.

Jay Hawkinson

I don't think he'll be booed. Plenty of basketball players who get ripped in the comments here get unconditional love in the Fieldhouse. At worst, Zenger might get a few boos as he's making the announcement, but Beaty will leave the floor to an ovation.

Tracy Bedell

Sims, Pierson, Combs, Short, Turzilli, Heeney...to name a few. KU has been able to recruit. That is not the problem. They just do not utilize that talent to their advantage. You can a team of superstars but if they are not coached properly, you've got nothing. I hope Beaty is able to recruit, mold and coach these young men. l know nothing about him but will back him unreservedly. Godspeed, Beaty!

Lance Cheney

How did we not "utilize" Sims, Pierson, and Heeney? I'd say we used the crap out of them, squeezed them dry, really. It was their supporting cast that held them back. And hopefully, that is what Beaty can help improve.

Andy Hess

Combs and Short never played, and Turzilli had maybe 3 good games his entire career. Why even list them?

Bob Stuber

8 weeks... 8'weeks!! And this is the best we could do. A lateral move, at best. Uninspiring. This guy has his work cut out for him. Here's hoping he can succeed. Not optimistic about this hire

Tracy Bedell

You are right, Lance. They did utilize them to the point of wear. But, in the end, the losses still far outnumbered the wins. I hope you are right and that Beaty can improve the supporting cast. We are all worn out from losing.

Gerry Butler

well very interesting hire. not impressed AT ALL. but guys you like myself, there is nothing that we can do about the hire, going to be real interesting to see if clint sticks. I believe he probably will for no other reason then his love for the school. one way to look at it is for no other reason Clint will have time for a little more seasoning as a coach learn and then IF he has success maybe he will maybe he won't but if he does then when he bolts AND HE WILL BOLT if he has success then hopefully Clint will have an opportunity to take the HC as the jayhawks coach. I make no bones YES I wanted Clint I know a lot didn't but either way it is what it is so we move forward. don't get me wrong I am a Jayhawk for life stuck with this program thru all the yrs not a lot of good times but I am a true KU fan you suffer thru the bad along with the good that's what a loyal fan is your there no matte what, I'm 60 yrs old and seen a few good yrs and now that this our coach, I will back this coach, give the chance that he deserves see what happens and hope for the best really no way to go other then up guys, so I know we will ALL get behind this coach and hopefully he may get us on the right track. Anyways welcome aboard coach and go get em GOOD LUCK GO HAWKS

David Kemp

The prof will be in the total package of coaches. More important than the HC will be who he assembles to be his assistants.

Randy Bombardier

At least I know now whst I'll do when I win the big lottery. New stadium, new coach, new ad. Wish I could go back snd read my rants on the last two. I think I'm getting more civil. But I was right.

So if the introduction is at the game someone please take a video and put it on YouTube. as dusappointed as many of us are be nice. Booing the man will not help anything.

Matt Spitzli

Lame!

Andrew Washington

I suppose you wanted Jim Harbaugh? Its not lame, Beaty is not going to require a multi million dollar per year salary and has proven himself to be valuable to every single program he's been at so far. He's the best we're gonna get so enough with your Lame!

John Fitzgerald

Hey! I wanted Jim Hatbaugh! Lol but I'm okay with this hire too.

Randy Bombardier

Finally did it even cross anyone's mind that a guy who did a phone interview and didn't get the job is now a burned bridge. No chance Warriner Fritz and others will ever interview at ku again. Great job committee. Come on, Minnesota owes us a coach. When you talked to Jerry Kill did you remind him of that. My god if this goes bust Zenger just set us back ten years.