Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

KU-Rice telecast available locally … at bars

Kansas University football fans who are WOW! cable subscribers will have options outside their homes if they want to catch Saturday’s game against Rice.

CBS Sports Network, which will televise the 6:30 p.m. contest, currently is not available in Lawrence to WOW! customers, but because the station is available to those with DirecTV, many local bars will be carrying the game.

The following Lawrence bars confirmed to the Journal-World on Thursday they would be carrying Saturday’s KU-Rice game:

• Applebee’s (both locations)

• Buffalo Wild Wings

• Henry T’s

• Johnny’s Tavern West

• Saints Pub + Patio

• Set’em Up Jack’s

• Wayne and Larry’s

• West Coast Saloon

Comments

jahawker2004

This channel is not available on my cable package. Will I be able to watch it on the internet?

Bobby Burch

txrockchalk - First Row is always solid. I've been able to find any and every games I've wanted on there. Unfortunately the video quality is rather poor. Better than nothing though!

Red Demon

I couldn't get First Row to work for last week's game against South Dakota.

KGphoto

Last week they played the Arkansas game instead of what they listed as KU vs. USD. So they aren’t ALWAYS so solid.

Bobby Burch

OK 9/10 times if there's a mid-sized to major broadcaster involved (I think the game was only on Jayhawk TV)

9 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, fearthephog512. Not sure why they deleted my post. I guess there is a first time for everything. You are right regarding the video quality. Their website is usually a last resort for me. KGphoto makes a good point regarding last week, though. I am not sure how the links get posted, if it is from individuals who are streaming various games to the First Row Sports website or what.

hotrodm

Drop WOW now. Wow claims to be your local cable company, wouldn't you think they would carry this game for the locals???

Saguaro_Jayhawk

Channel 594 for HD or 274 for Comcast customers

James McGuire

CBS SN is also available with the U-Verse 200 package.

PODjhwk83

mcguirej - What channel is that on the U-Verse 200 package? I checked the listings and it looks like the game is on channel 643/1643HD like KRichards said, and those channels are only available on the 450 package (not 200 package).

James McGuire

Interesting. I only signed up for 200 but have those channels listed (643/1643).

PODjhwk83

Do you have any type of sports package?

James McGuire

Nope.

PODjhwk83

Well... I'm not sure why I don't get that channel then. Here's hoping I somehow get it come 6:30pm tomorrow. ROCK CHALK!

James McGuire

Yeah, that's strange. Good luck.

ChesterCopperpot

You do need the Sports package, if you don't have the 450. I just signed up for it on Monday and got the first month free… Normally $10 a month.

Rick Glover

Aren't you suppose to be surgery and not goofing off on the internet, I'll have to talk with Beth about your internet use.

Ted Toulouse

where was this information for those of us in the dark last week? I hope University sees what they've done here

Eric Williams

And by what the University has done you mean not purchasing a cable company so that they can control what channels are available to those in Lawrence, right?

Seriously, how do you blame KU for WOW not carrying CBS Sports Network? The Sports networks bid against each other for the rights to air the games. The individual schools can't say "Nope. Sorry ESPN we don't want to play on your channel."

alittlecurious

I blame KU for selling it to CBS instead of letting the Jayhawk Network have it!!!

Ron Prichard

So anyone that doesn't have Time Warner or Comcast or can get ESPN3 is blasting KU for the deal they made only for the games that are on the Jayhawk Network. Now, this game isn't on the Jayhawk Network, but rather CBSSports, at KU is still getting blasted for it. It's pretty unbelievable.

But you know, I think you're right. Why didn't KU sell the game to ESPN or Fox for national distribution? Really, this should be the game of the week. It's what I want as a fan, so why didn't KU make it happen? Not to compare, but MU is in the big bad SEC and if you wanted to watch their first games you would have to do a pay per view package.

Right now, KU has better media coverage and distribution than it has ever had before. Not bad for a team that was 1-11 last year. Just the fact that Zenger was able to negotiate what he did is pretty impressive when you think that football is what drives the TV dollars and he was able to negotiate a deal that gives KU national exposure when he was selling a team that is 6-30 over the last three seasons with only one win last year.

Yes, it sucks when a game is not on our local provider or we aren't able to see it at home. But stop blaming KU already. If there was more national interest, we would be on nationally or regionally as opposed to having to distribute on our Tier 3 networks. With an improved football team, hopefully we can get there.

Red Demon

Screw the Jayhawk Network in its current format. I wasn't able to get last weeks game on DirecTV where I live in SW Kansas and doubt I'll be able to get future broadcasts.

texashawk10

You do realize that the broadcast rights for this game are owned by Rice right? Rice is in C-USA and C-USA has a deal with CBS Sports, formerly CBS College Sports. KU and the Big 12 have absolutely no say in the distribution of the game on Saturday.

James McGuire

I thought it was interesting that AT&T sponsors KU Athletics, but AT&T customers didn't have access to last weekend's game.

kckuguy

Answer is, KU sold out to TWC. TWC is not going to allow other cable providers televise the games, why should they ? That is the only reason a person would subscribe to TWC is Metro Sports. KU should have chosen a network channel, like 38 or 62 to be the Jayhawk Network,so regardless of who the fans cable provider is, everyone would have access to the games. Last weekend I was able to watch every other BIG 12 team, all SEC teams and all PAC 12 teams, but not KU. Even on ESPN3 the KU games are blacked out in the KC area. It seems strange that KU is promoting KC as a KU town and KU is blacked out. I hope someone at KU received a big pay day for this deal.

Dale Stringer

My problem with this whole thing is TWC is not available where I live in Warrensburg, MO. It's only 83 miles to Lawrence so I try to make all the home games I can. But I expect to be able to see their away games on tv. Sheahan, you awesome deal left out thousands. Thanks for ruining my away Saturdays. Probably means I won't be able to see any basketball either that's not on ESPN.

Andy Tweedy

That's ironic! All summer, I've been feeling like I would miss out on some games here in Omaha, but this one is on my TV and not on the TVs in Lawrence! LAME!!! (although good for me)

Ben Fletcher

dude, its on here. in HAWAII. (yes i know my handle still says Tampa...)

nuleafjhawk

I'll be at the lake and listening on the radio. I think the bars are a great place for a lot of Jayhawk "fans" to watch the game. They can drink their sorrows away when they think we're going to lose, then they can celebrate with a drink when we win. Be sure and have a designated driver, folks. We need all of you around to celebrate future games.

W Keith Swinehart II

Game is broadcast on DirecTv, CBSSN, ch. 221. Unfortunately, it's not in the basic programming package.

Marcia Parsons

It's also on Dish 158, also not basic programming.

Jeff Coffman

So last week if you were Directv and other subscribers you didn't get it, this week if you aren't those you don't get it.

Basically you can watch every other game.

Nice job on the negotiating there.

Saguaro_Jayhawk

You need to remember in the recent past some Jayhawks' games were not televised ANYWHERE.

Ron Prichard

Comcast gets this game. Time Warner gets this game. ATTUverse gets this game. Most major providers will broadcast this game on at least some subscription level. WOW is apparently an exception.

Ben Fletcher

maybe thats the "wow" in the name. as in 'wow, this cable service sucks!'

clevelandjayhawker

Time to win some damn games. Then maybe this wont be an issue. But then again the Royals are in a chase and you cant watch a weekend game anymore....

milehighhawk

There's this thing called "the internet."

Everything is available and free.

namohcan_99

Well.... not everything. ;)

Steve Reigle

Really, really sad that so many of us loyal fans are left out of the TV broadcast picture, in Lawrence and Topeka and surrounding areas. How can KU let that happen?

The internet is not an option for all of us, especially those of us on limited data usage or limited bandwidth.

Ted Toulouse

to my earlier point, I blame the university because they negotiated with channels that are available to everybody for the third tier rights. and I'm sorry but the state of Kansas and Kansas City area do not get to stream the game on watch ESPN like the rest of the country does. I'm glad I get the game this weekend but I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get the game last weekend

texashawk10

You do realize that KU and the Big 12 conference have zero say about what network picked up the game against Rice because KU is playing an out of conference road game. Because Rice is the home team, the conference they belong to, in this case C-USA, the broadcast partners of C-USA control the distribution of this game, not KU or the Big 12.

If you want to complain about not seeing the game, then at least have your facts straight and realize the broadcast right to this game belong to C-USA and then networks that distribute C-USA games.

Ted Toulouse

I have my facts straight - you need to learn how to read:
"I'm glad I get the game this weekend but I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get the game last weekend"

good info about the Rice game though

Ted Toulouse

and a word of advice to DirecTV subscribers - call and complain about not getting Metro Sports Kansas City on a regular basis. The more the wheel squeaks the better chance we have of getting it added to the lineup

Bob Hiller

Here in Topeka last week, I saw the entire game on Cox 22. This included all sorts of pre game and post game stories . Best KU coverage I have seen since I came to KS for KU law school in '69.

741hawk

Real Simple.
Get a dish and get a sports package.
(Don't understand people who tie themselves to cable. Pun intended.)

bigjaybabyjay

10 years ago none of these early games would be televised PERIOD. Come on people. Any television is better than none. Quit griping.

Nick Cole

No, keep complaining. If people keep complaining that means people want to watch the games. It indicates interest and provides pressure to improve and change. Complain away complainers. Google fiber just announced they are coming to my neighborhood, but they haven't even set a timeline of when it will be available. I have already called them and complained that they need to get metro sports for KU games. I will call them multiple more times until it happens. I expect all other KU fans to do the same. ROCK CHALK!!!

ahpersecoachingexperience

LJW just help us out and post the links to the Internet streams of the games! Is there something wrong with that?

Kevin Kelly

Its an away game at another confrence. So you don't get to say to your local cable company...why don't you cover Confrence USA sports because you know the answer.

Kevin Kelly

I can't believe that, after the confrence realignment crap, that any fan that comes here dosn't understand how TV contracts work. Came real close to being involved in the CUSA TV contract negotiations but thankfully we don't have to wory about that.

No CUSA teams in Kansas yet. This is a good thing.

kckuguy

This is progress ? KU gets a new TV deal and we can log on to KUSPORTS.COM and see which bar is televising the game ? Someone at KU needs to be fired. Are we going back to the 60's where we listen to the radio broadcast every Saturday ? KU blacks out their biggest market, K,C., absolutely brilliant.

Brad Watson

sunflower cablevision...or whoever they are now are real cheapskates....they talk out of both sides of their mouth...it took years to get msnbc....i was on them for 5 years....as far as sports packaging....its all about the margins...not the customer...pathetic....because they all have directv at home...the ljworld empire is a very strange place and run in a very peculiar way...i used to work for dolph simons...its a head scratcher for sure...some of the logic used there....wow!

IkePikeHawk

I have Uverse 300 and the guide showed the non subscriber icon for channels 643 and HD 1643. The Uverse rep told me it was part of my package. When I actually clicked on the channel, the programming was there. The icon was in error.

sansherm

HEY!!! All U Surewest subscribers I spoke with a person in the marketing dept in Sacramento,Ca. the other day and she told me that Surewest is in negotiations with Time Warner. I asked her if they will only carry the Jayhawk Network and she said that they would carry all of Metro Sports.
We can only hope this works. All U Surewest customers please call and keep calling Surewest customer care and request the Jayhawk Network!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgkojak

So the tables are turned.

Those of us with U-Verse can see a game that Time-Warner/WOW people can't.

THIS DEAL IS RIDICULOUS. If you want to argue with me that limiting viewing of KU events to these different cable packages generates more money and audience for KU events, I'd like to see the numbers of paper.

Triceec

It's channel 322 or 1322 on time Warner cable I had to order it for 8.99

kckuguy

This new TV package is suppose to be so good for KU, then KU should release the details of the new deal. How much is TWC paying KU for this package ? And compared to last year TV package, how much more is KU making ? Is ESPN3 blocking out the KC area somehow more profitable than letting the fans in KC watch the games like the rest of the country can ? TWC is doing well by the deal though. If 5000 people switch to TWC @ $100 a month, that is $6 million a year to TWC. I certainly hope KU is getting a big portion of that. There has to be a big payday for someone to counter isolating the fans. Why have a TV package that blacks out your biggest fan base ? 2 million people 20 miles away is no longer wanted ? It looks like the KC fans are being blackmailed in to subscribing to TWC. Why is KU in the middle of a cable war ? I know I have a lot more questions than KU is willing to answer. I have been told to be patient, in the end I will get more KU, not less. Since I was told that, I haven't been able to watch anything KU. This whole thing could be worse than the ticket scandal.

Pitthawk34

Well the Z's work sure pissed off a lot of people so far with this TV deal. Cant wait to see the response during basketball season when people are left out as well. May need the national guard. Way to go Z. The worst part of it all the LJW is not asking any questions...nothing. Thanks LJW.

Dale Stringer

Anyone know Z's phone number so we can text him every 5 minutes to ask what the score is?