Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Jayhawk fans could benefit from cheap Sweet 16 and Elite Eight ticket prices

Road to Arlington

Here's a price guide to a trip for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight in Arlington:

• Plane tickets, leave Thursday and return Monday: $430.

• Driving: About $136 in fuel cost for the roughly 1,000-mile round trip in a vehicle that gets 30 miles per gallon.

• Game tickets: $220 average price for three-game passes.

• Hotels: Cheapest Arlington hotels running for about $60 per night, or $240 for a four-night stay.

• Total cost flying: $870.

• Total cost driving: $596.

* Plane and hotel prices taken from Orbitz.com.

While last weekend's ticket prices to see the Jayhawks in the men's NCAA Basketball Tournament were the most expensive of the first couple rounds, things have changed for the Jayhawks' trip to the South Regional at Cowboy Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

"These tickets are as cheap as we've ever seen for a NCAA Tournament regional since 2011, so fans shouldn't have any trouble getting into the building at an affordable price," said Will Flaherty, a spokesman for SeatGeek, a ticket brokerage business that monitors ticket prices.

Thrifty Jayhawk fans can get passes for the Sweet 16 and Elite Eight games for as low as $110 on ticket websites such as seatgeek.com and stubhub.com. Average prices for the three-game "strip" are averaging about $220, less than half the cost of East Regional tickets.

Even when you consider that Cowboy Stadium will house 80,000 fans — and let's face it, bad tickets mean you're just paying to be in the building — the South regional is still a bargain hunter's delight, Flaherty said.

For instance, a strip of front row seats in lower sections at the South Regional in Arlington can be had for under $900, compared with more than $3,000 in other regionals.

But there's also the cost of traveling to the Arlington area to consider. According to a recent analysis of hotel, game ticket and driving costs, the trip could be made for under $600.

If you're looking to catch the KU women play in their Sweet 16 game March 31, and potential Elite Eight game April 2, tickets start at about $25. If you choose to avoid the 37-hour roundtrip drive, flights and hotel packages from March 30 to April 3 start around $900.

Comments

Chris1955

If you go to one of these games don't forget the binoculars. I went to the 2008 game in Houston between Memphis and Texas and sat in the lower section. All I can say is that I'm glad that I didn't have to pay anything to see the game.

texashawk10

Cowboys Stadium does have those pretty gigantic TV screens that makes it easier to watch games than at Reliant Stadium although they are putting up bigger video screens in Reliant than what's in Cowboys Stadium before too long.

Phil Leister

I'm poor, but even if I had an extra 600 bucks in my wallet, no way would I spend it on a ticket for a "dome" game. Watching on TV is a much better view than the nosebleeds.

texashawk10

Going to tournament games is something everybody should experience at least once. I absolutely agree that viewing is better on TV unless you have the VIP seats that are courtside, but the atmosphere of being at tournament games is an incredible experience. I was hooked up with Regional tickets the year Houston hosted the regional and it was an amazing experience. That same person was going to sell me his Final Four tickets dirt cheap had KU made the Final Four the following year, but since KU didn't make it that year, he sold them to a Duke fan.

captku

hopefully he hiked up the price on that guy

Steve Gantz

I had the great fortune of getting two tickets to the national championship for 100 bucks last year. I thought I'd watch on the big screens from our half way up the upper deck seats, but the view wasn't too bad.

clevelandjayhawker

football stadiums arent made for basketball games. would be nice to have the games in a building meant for basketball. but its all about $$$$$

Kip_McSmithers

I thought it was all about the student athletes. ; )

LSHawk

Nothing like being there, I'm going with my oldest son who's a grad student at KU. The tickets were $135 each, hotel room $300 for 2 nights so not bad for some father son time. Going to attend the pre-game party and pep rally hosted by the KU almuni assoc. and hopefully KU will get a win and another shot at the final 4

clevelandjayhawker

Have fun and make memories, nothing beats being there and father/son time memories will live on forever; but for me gas+tickets+hotel+food+other= paying off my tv and surround sound. I too will be watching with my son, not the same experience, but being able to pause/rewind (bad calls and awesome dunks) is great for me.....plus I have issues with 4 letter words when things aren’t going my way, that doesn’t always go over that well with other families nearby.

Rock Chalk

hammerhawk

I'll be watching with my son and his family and friends and we will be toasting many times to the Mighty Kansas Jayhawks from comfortable leather seats on Friday nite. My TX daughter and her husband will be attending the game and are fortunate enough to have VIP tickets.

Go Kansas!

kureader

I went to the Final Four in Atlanta several years ago ... never again.
I had very good seats on the lower level, row 28 or so behind the basket.
I'm guessin' I was 75 or 80 yards from the nearest basket ... you definitely need binoculars.
Additionally, there's no noise sensation ... the sound just disappears. Even the 1st row seat at midcourt was 60 or 80 feet from the court.

The savings on the trip and just 2 tickets is enough to put a new 63" flat screen in the family room ... easy decision, in my case.

Rock Chalk.

741hawk

As big screens get bigger and the costs decline, major sports may have a tough time puttin' butts in the seats.

SoCalAlum

A couple of months ago, I purchased tickets for the West Regional here at Staples in LA just in case KU got sent West. I've done this in the past and usually, at the very least, no problem in getting my investment back. But this year's West Regional - I'm going to be lucky to sell them at all. There are all kinds of tickets available but seemingly, very little interest. I thought that Arizona fans would gobble up the tickets as they did a couple of years ago, but so far, no.

Shocker fans reading this: there are tickets, so climb into your cars right now and you'll roll into LA in time for Thursday tip-off

Mike Plank

I'm going! I still need a pair of tickets... if anybody has any ideas beside Stubhub, Craigslist, etc., (OR any extras....) let me know!!

Jacob Wolf

Ticketsforless.com is who I use.

justinryman

Anyone road tripping from Omaha?

That would be fun to do. I got to see the team play in '08 in Omaha and wasn't lucky enough to got last year.

Final 4 in Atlanta won't be this cheap

kureader

I went to the game in Omaha, too. Basketball in Omaha is great ... Cowboy Stadium ... probably not.

Scott Smetana

I was in the Ford Stadium in Detroit during the '08 run. The court was in the middle of the football field. Absolutely horrible. I'm going to Dallas and expect the same. No sound, very few good seats. American Airline arena in Dallas would be a bit smaller, but everyone could see the game. Basketball should only be allowed to be in a football stadium if the court is in the endzone. The big bucks come from TV rights. I can't believe the NCAA is selling out the crowd's experience to squeeze in a few extra crummy seats and bucks.

TexasRockChalk

Lots of good seats to be had my fellow Jayhawk peeps! Come down to Texas and cheer on the Crimson & Blue. The pep rally is at the Arlington Convention Ctr which is a short walking distance to Cowboys Stadium. Let's hope this Friday will be VERY GOOD indeed for KU!

Kent Kossoy

Agree that a football stadium is a poor place for a championship game. But I saw 2005 UNC-Illinois championship game in St. Louis. As much as I did not want Roy or UNC to win, the environment was just so electric. It is worth going at least once. If it could be a game with KU, it would be even more fun. If this is the only time you have ever gone, it is worth it.

Martin Rosenblum

From a little Swiss gym to Cowboys Stadium! What a season this has been so far.

By the time we get to Atlanta, maybe the college basketball world will show some proper respect for the most under-hyped team in the country. After listening to numerous sports radio programs recently, it has become clear that KU has no media appeal. Even after making it to the championship game just last year, KU seems to be that team that is never regarded as an elite program as programs like Kentucky, UCLA, Duke, etc.. Sure, on College Gameday Allen Fieldhouse is the focal point. But, schools like Michigan, Louisville, Florida, etc. get so much more attention for their actual teams. The satisfaction that Jayhawk Nation (I can't believe I used that term) gets is from the purity of our program and it's iconic place in the sports world. Rankings and polls are fun to follow. But, our Jayhawks are more than a basketball team to us. The Jayhawks are a lifestyle and can only be appreciated by true fans who value the past, present and future as it was, is and will be played, wearing uniforms that have that magical six letters on the front of the jerseys, K..A..N..S..A..S.

Beate Williams

I have been fortunate to have gone to a number of Final 4's, including the 2008 championship in San Antonio. I've always managed to have pretty good seats but the best was when KU won in 1988. I have never gone to Atlanta, Cowboy Stadium or some of the other big stadiums but normally you can find tickets from scalpers for a very reasonable price, sometimes even cheaper than regular ticket price.

I have been burned when I have purchased hotel rooms and KU didn't make it, like in Houston a few years ago and Indiana before that. I'm saying all of this for a reason, there is nothing like being there, the experience of seeing all the folks in another city with the crimson and blue on, running into folks at restaurants and bars all with the same interest and excitement, going to rallies where the excitement is over the moon, debating with others--most of the time in a friendly manner--about whose team is going to win (must admit in San Antonio after the UNC game we ran into some pretty obnoxious UNC fans), the bottom line being there isn't a sporting event better than the Final Four and with KU playing it is truly heaven.

If you have a chance and can afford to go, don't think that sitting at home watching on TV where you can rewind and bitch at the announcers can match being there; you can always tape the game and watch it over and over again when you get back home. There simply is nothing like the electricity of being in that arena when KU is playing for a national championship; think KU vs Missery at Allen Fieldhouse but 10 times more intense.

Even though I'm in Texas I will not make it to Arlington, like most of you it is hard to imagine watching a game in that huge stadium, things are so different from 20-25 years ago when the NCAA made the decision to not go into a venue that did not seat at least 15 cagillion.

CBS pundits will have to eat crow come Sunday evening. RCJH go KU

Travis Shinkle

Is it me or does CBS have some of the biggest, eastern-biased pundits out there? I think things have changed drastically--for the better--since they've turn over their studio to the guys who do the NBA typically on TNT. But it is nice to avoid hearing that idiot Clark Kellogg doing KU games, so far, this tournament...

Jackster

I am lucky enough to be working from home today and have had Sportscenter on all morning to get the latest on the Sweet 16. After about 4 hours, not one mention of KU. Duke, MSU and Miami seem to be getting all of the love so far. No surprise there I guess.

Steve Gantz

I hate Sportscenter. For the reasons you mentioned and more. Less than a week before baseball season starts and in the half hour I watched there was no baseball talk. But pro football? Of course, Manti Teo ran faster than last time, big news! And RGIII did something, and someone else threw for another team in a workout. I can barely turn on ESPN radio anymore while in the car because of their constant football talk, in March. Of course I love watching the games on ESPN and am thankful for that, but they're just terrible in their coverage of the sports world.

Beate Williams

I wish you were kidding, but I know you are not. KU must go to Arlington and kick some butt and keep kicking until all are crimson and blue.

Steve Gantz

Championship games in New Orleans last year were surprisingly inexpensive. I got two for 100 bucks, sat in about the 20th row of the upper deck and really got pretty good views, except for the obnoxious twenty something kensucky fans in front of us who stood up for each and every play in the first five minutes. When I asked him to sit he told me to watch the game on the big screen. Can you imagine? A 20-25 year old punk telling a 50 year old something like that? I'm glad I didn't do something stupid like push them over when they stood, because I really felt like it.

HawkInAL

I went to the 2003 and 2008 national championship games and had awful seats for both. That said, nothing compares to being there. The stunned disbelief watching missed FT after missed FT in 03, the insanity as Mario hit the three, and hearing the Rock Chalk chant echo throughout the Alamodome- those are memories that I'll never forget. Good stuff!

Steve Brown

Heard the chant in Kemper '88 and in Reunion arena a few years before, no we missed giving that chant when Archie went down, we were up then, not for long.....

great memories, nothing like being there in person albeit bad seats and large arenas... Jones arena does have the worlds' best screens..