Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

KU bowling heads to Las Vegas

The Kansas University bowling team will be participating in one of the four intercollegiate team championship sectionals from Thursday through Monday, March 11, in Las Vegas. The top four squads in each 20-team sectional will advance to Nationals, which will take place April 18-20 in Lincoln, Neb.

KU is led by Dylan Burns, who has a 209.7 average. Jessy Bauer (205.4), Kyle Turner (193.7), Nick Campfield (191.0), Chris Flowers (185.6), Tyler Woods (180.9) and Kyle Rosberg (169.1) also will be competing for KU.

Comments

MinnesotaJay

I don't generally like to be too critical of the guys who represent KU, but aside from Burns' 209.7, and Bauer at 205.4, those averages don't exactly knock your socks off, especially the fifth guy. I'm 63 now, and a couple years ago I took a university one-credit semester-long bowling class. I averaged a hair over 160, and my self-assessment is that I suck. With more practice, I think I could raise my average by 10 pins and try out for the team??? Hopefully, we're better than that!!!

Still, good luck, guys.

9 years, 5 months ago

Phil Leister

Agreed, a 169 doesn't seem to hot. Then again, my bowling experience is limited to that same bowling class you took. So what do I know?

9 years, 5 months ago

Brian Zachary

I would challenge anyone of to bowl on the lane patterns these guys bowl on. It is much more difficult than Friday Night Cyber bowling. It is more difficult than what the pros bowl on TV. Collegiate bowling is the only real bowling left in the world

9 years, 5 months ago

Michael Fine

The lane patterns that you saw in your bowling class or in most of the house shot leagues are not the same patterns that the KU Bowlers see. All collegiate events utilize Sport Bowling Patterns. If you are not familiar with these, the Readers Digest explanation is that these patterns are much flatter than recreational patterns. The skill set you need to be successful is the ability to replicate shots, make speed and release adjustments and understand how to match up equipment with the lane surface and pattern. The best analogy I can give you is hitting off the back tee’s.

9 years, 5 months ago

MinnesotaJay

The bowling class was taken at Wichita State University's lanes. You are probably aware of the fact that theirs has been the number 1 collegiate bowling program in the country for the better part of the past several years, with something like 20 national team championships under their belt. Their bowling team grads, some of whom are active PBA tour participants, frequently come back for practice. The lane surfaces are meticulously maintained to challenge their current bowling team (not exactly the ladies' tees).

And, as I already freely volunteered, I suck.

9 years, 5 months ago

Michael Mulvihill

I average 218 over 3 leagues this year.also avg a 196 in a sport shot league. where is my scholarship at? looks like the team could use the help.

9 years, 5 months ago

Michael Fine

I think you have to meet them half way and enroll at KU!

9 years, 5 months ago

Don Everett

All you week night/weekend warriors need to step back and chill. What a bunch of a&$holes. These kids are representing Kansas University just the same as any other group of kids do wether it be sports, debate, etc. Just be proud that KU and these great students are being recogonized.

9 years, 5 months ago

MinnesotaJay

While we're being critical, were you 'replying' to someone? Or, is the 'reply' function not part of the Grammar Police's playbook?

9 years, 5 months ago

Don Everett

If you really need to ask, yes, it was aimed at you minnejay. Thank God you took a bowling class at around age 59 and are now an expert.

You started it all by saying "I don't generally like to be too critical of the guys who represent KU" so you opened up everything with that.

I'm not the grammar police, I'm a supporter of KU in all ways.

I'm 50, but not a wanta be that wishes he or she was someone now because I was no one then as you seem to be.

Why don't you just go away and act like you never ever reached this website.

9 years, 5 months ago