Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Longhorn-Aggie rivalry to end

— Texas A&M;’s upcoming move to the Southeastern Conference will end its storied rivalry with Texas for at least the next few years.

Texas A&M; athletic director Bill Byrne says the Longhorns told him their nonconference schedule is full through 2018.

The Aggies had hoped to continue the annual game, now held on Thanksgiving night, after they left the Big 12 in July. Now it looks as if this year’s meeting will be the last for several years.

The teams first met in football in 1894 and the rivalry is one of the oldest and most spirited in college football.

Byrne added Friday that he has asked Texas A&M; coaches in other sports to inquire about future nonconference matchups and the Longhorns also have declined to meet in men’s tennis.

Comments

bayareajhawk

That is exactly what we should do to Mizzou.

11 years, 1 month ago

jay381

Absolutely. Totally agree. I loved Bill Self's statement a few weeks ago detailing exactly why there would be no reason to schedule MO. Each response was well we do not need MO to get on TV, to have a national brand, to recruit, etc.

11 years, 1 month ago

Steve Corder

Are there any real winners in this conference marry-go-round?

11 years, 1 month ago

jphog

Why is A&M pretending they want to play Texas? I thought they were leaving because they couldn't compete with Texas?

11 years, 1 month ago

brooksmd

But, but, but, can't I have my cake and eat it too?

11 years, 1 month ago

iluvdbskxjayhawks

Ew. Aggies are leaving Big 12 but they still want to play Texas? I'm happy that Texas doesn't schedule the Aggies. finally a decision from Texas I agree with. Aggies, go play with your SEC mates and leave us alone. I hope none of the big 12 members schedule anything with A&M. Good bye and good riddance!

11 years, 1 month ago

MDHawk

I remind my friends who are Nebraska fans in a similar way. They like to talk about their football team the way we like to talk about our basketball team...and when they bring it up and ask my opinion of this player, that game, etc....I tell them I know absolutely nothing about their team, and since it has no impact on the Jayhawks I don't particularly care. They're not in our conference, so I don't really follow them anymore. That's what stinks about ruining regional competition...you can no longer banter with your neighbor about rivalry in college sports, depending on the situation. I know it doesn't affect everyone equally, but it sure has made an impact in my social sphere. Most the people I went back and forth with were Nebraska friends...

Sorry A&M...you wanted out, now you have to take responsibility for what your decision and suffer the consequences along with the benefits. That's life. The same goes for you, MU, should you choose the same for yourself.

11 years, 1 month ago