Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Big 12 presidents approve revenue sharing

Big 12 university leaders agreed to equally share the wealth from the conference's most lucrative television deals if its members agree to lock those top-tier TV rights into the league for at least six years.

The league's announcement Monday was an encouraging sign for the long-term health of the conference, but it is no done deal.

Missouri is considering leaving the Big 12, possibly for the Southeastern Conference, and the university's board of curators is scheduled to meet Tuesday in St. Louis.

Interim Big 12 Commissioner Chuck Neinas hopes the approval by the presidents and chancellors of equal revenue sharing and a grant of tier-one and tier-two TV rights to the league will help convince Missouri to stay instead of joining Texas A&M; in the SEC.

"In an objective view, this should be a positive sign for Missouri," Neinas said during a teleconference with reporters.

Neinas said he plans to visit with Missouri officials this week, but not before Tuesday's curators' meeting.

Neinas said Missouri should consider its long-standing rivalry with Kansas, the Kansas City-based Big 12 basketball tournaments and the close proximity between Columbia to other Big 12 schools.

"It's one thing to talk about the Southeastern Conference, but how many people are going to be able to afford to travel to Gainesville, Fla., or Columbia, S.C., or Tuscaloosa, Ala.," Neinas said. "You know, John Q. Fan, he can get in the car and drive to Big 12 games.

"Besides, Missouri is midwestern, not southern."

The revenue-sharing model had been proposed by Texas several weeks ago, but was waiting for a vote by league presidents. Neinas said that school leaders, who make up the Big 12 Board of Directors, voted unanimously in favor of it on Sunday.

Each school must still approve the granting of TV rights, and that's where the Missouri curators come in.

The Big 12 also plans to move forward with expansion plans, apparently regardless of what Missouri decides.

Neinas said the Big 12's expansion committee has been "activated" and will start meeting sometime this week. Neinas said the league has been encouraged by the amount of interest other schools have shown in the Big 12.

Neinas said the move toward sharing TV rights for football and men's basketball will help the league's expansion efforts and pointed to the 13-year, $1 billion television deal reached with Fox Sports in April.

Neinas said the conference has no timetable on expansion, though the league's athletic directors must still come to a consensus on what approach they want to take.

"We have some things in mind that I'm not prepared to reveal at this point, but we're working in a very positive way toward improving what is already a good conference," Neinas said.

Comments

Tony Bandle

Missouri, please stop and think for once. We all know you were embarrrassed by the Big 10 'thanks but no thanks" but trying to recoupe your manhood by going to the SEC is ridiculous.

1] You're walking away from great even historic rivalries.
2] Your adding thousands of travel miles to all your teams and even more importantly to all your fans.
3] You're going into a football conference where you'll be slaughtered annually by "Bama, LSU, Florida, etc., etc. The speed in the SEC will make your spread offense obsolete.
4] The academic rating of the SEC is horrible and cheating is as way of life.
5] But most importantly, you're walking away from lots and lots of money!!

As a native Missourian, I feel compelled to offer this advice.
As a diehard Jayhawk I am convinced you will make the most insane decision possible!!.

manginodrh00lz

Uh...well....OK. We'll stay. Thanks for posting this - we were on the fence and look for advice from the Jayhawk forum.

Andy Tweedy

Dang, I didn't know I could prop my own posts...my opinions are sure to become more popular!

Andy Tweedy

Robert Brock

Mizzou will feel comfortable in a conference of fellow slavers.

Dennis Mahorney

Well said, Missouri has some clout with us. In the SEC they will get no respect.

Steve Brown

The revenue sharing of teir 1 & 2 games just brings us to par with other conferences, should have been done a few years ago, then perhaps we would still have Huskers and Aggies.
What happens when LHN becomes more lucative for Horns than I & II games? Sort of like the NY Yankee media contracts. Horns generate the network yet it gives them big time advantage, hard issues to resolve.

kureignman

If either one of those schools (or OU or Texas) would have voted for revenue sharing the first time around then we wouldn't be in this mess. Instead they were greedy and voted against it. All it would have taken was one more vote from one of the hypocrites that left crying. Apparently it's ok to have unequal revenue if you are one getting more.

d_park

@ mangiondrh00lz - your the kid who got beat up in high school. Not because you were a nerd but because it was well deserved. Your postings are by far the most idiotic I've ever seen on these message boards. After you read this posting you'll have something else to say and I'm not even going to waste my time reading it. What a joke.

ejlumus

Plus a trillion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

olathefbfan

Plus infinity...and beyond.

FLJHK

manginorh00lz is blunt, aggressive and certainly not politically correct. But his (her) posts are credible and insightful, and he/she clearly wants good outcomes for KU. They are also often pretty funny. I urge folks to not take any of this personally. After all, if we all met on the street tomorrow, none of us would recognize any other.

manginodrh00lz

Dad???

Tony Bandle

God forgive me, mang, but that response is hilarious!!

FLJHK

Son!!! I thought you'd forgotton us! Bless you, child.

pgittemeier09

haha if you dont take manginos posts seriously then their kinda funny....your looking at them the wrong way

olathefbfan

Sure, if you like laughing at the special needs kid in the lunch line.

jgkojak

Also, no way the B10 comes calling if MU is tainted by the SEC.

Steve Brown

Chuck Neinas giving reasoned and logical radio interview saying he is using TV revenue consultants that will report of various conference expansion options as it relates to TV markets. In other words will Houston or a DFW team bring more sets (revenue) to the group compared to other new markets.
He sounds fair and ethical and reasoned, he operates off facts and research, brilliant.I'm a convert and like this guy. He wouldn't throw Bebee under the bus yet acknowledges things were mismanaged.
He says he has no power yet is a conduit for various thoughts trying to find consensus. He said two teams voted to stay at nine teams and they weren't UT and OU. Some want to get back to 10 and a few to 12. He says an expansion comittee is formed.
He didn't duck the option for MU that SEC may appear more stable yet the BIG 12 offers inherent advantages for MU as they are at heart a midwest team.
Chuck seems to be a straight up guy.
He spoke of being involved in a 1984 US Supreme court decision stripping NCAA from rights to football teir III revenue hence the CFA foundation. He helped support schools owne their football revenue. This in reply to query about LHN.
I think the sky stopped falling.

FLJHK

Agree that Neinas appears to be doing a good job.

Brian Skelly

As a Jayhawk, but native and current St. Louis resident, I can tell you that Mizzou fans here are flipping out about it.

Most I talk to are excited about the possibility of going to the SEC, and would be crushed if they ended up staying in the Big 12. Even if things become more equitable.

The reality is, concessions like this will help, but at the end of the day I cant blame Mizzou for wanting the stability that comes from going to the SEC. Can you? Really?

If KU had a standing offer from almost any of the other conferences -- Pac, Big 10, ACC -- you dont think we wouldnt be doing the same thing?

What does irk me is if at the end of the day all this is is a vanity play, not unlike the previous dalliances with the Big 10 for Mizzou. Which me thinks it is. In that way, they're really no different than what they supposedly despise and dont trust --- OU and UT.

I wouldnt fault them for leaving though. We'd be doing the same thing if the chance was there. My guess is at some point it will be, but more chips will have to fall.

11 years, 2 months ago

Actually thanks to the hard work of a lot of unnamed people, I firmly believe KU would stay. We had places we could go. No "standing offers" as you say. But with a few phone calls the offers would have been there.

The best thing for KU is to stay right where we are. We still have one of the best football conferences in the nation. All we lost was Nebraska really.

Missouri should feel the same way from a practical standpoint. The holdup has been equal revenue sharing. All of us wanted to know if the conference would remain glued together.

If Mizzou went to the SEC, they'd make maybe a few more bucks than what the Big 12 will make in the next decade. But they'll still have to pay their exit fees. And lose their rivalries. And worst of all, not have fans at a lot of in conference games.

The Missouri Valley, big 6, 7, 8, 12 has always been about...

"Road Trip!!!!!!!!!!"

Michael Maris

If you are talking about the teams traveling to each other respective Universities you are incorrect.

Before Nebraska left the Conference (North Division), the road trips were pretty easy to make for 5 of the 6 teams.

South Division had it worked out for them (as well) when it come to the South Teams. OU, Okie State, Texas, Baylor, aTm were not that far for each other.

Texas Tech and Colorado were the longest road trips for teams in their respective divisions.

So, if you are talking road trips, Other than KU and K-State traveling to Lincoln, Nebraska, it was pretty much all Interstate Highway.

Blame all of the former Kansas Governor's for NEVER having any vision to build more 4 lane highways in the State of Kansas.

Farmers of Kansas have always fought having interstate highways or 4 lane highways built in the State of Kansas. They would have to drive their tractors and combines a mile or two farther to get across the highways to their fields.

I've always said that Hwy 54 from Wichita, Kansas to Liberal needs to be 4 lane highway. It seems that the highway is finally on the way of becoming a 4 lane highway. Course now, I don't even live out that way. So, it doesn't affect me much anymore.

Dan Pawlowski

And what bastion of culture do you hail from?

Andy Tweedy

Judging from your user name, I'm here to tell you that while I don't think the Big XII sucks, losing CU cost us our best roadie by far. Boulder is just awesome, and I really miss having them in conference.

Dan Pawlowski

I totally agree. I lost one BBall game per year and an FB game every other. I am really bummed about that.

Dan Pawlowski

On the up side I have friends from UCLA that are coming in next year for the Bruin v Buff game.

Hank Cross

Ames - everyone's dream destination.

JHawk06

I can tell you from living in the heart of SEC country that everyone thinks Mizzwho is a big joke. All I hear is that MU sucks and the SEC fans don't want them. They acknowledge the TV market they bring....AND THATS IT.

So for all the Mizzwho fans who are looking forward to being middle-to-bottom of that conference every year. GOOD RIDDANCE. Dumb***es

Rock Chalk and Roll Tide

p.s. I hope they stay

FLJHK

I marginally understand the appeal of the SEC for MU, but it is far different than a Big 10 offer. I can't imagine a KU offer to the SEC, but if one ever materialized I would hope we turn it down. We do not fit the culture of the SEC.

Brennan Keller

I say KU moves to the ACC where we will have a better basketball conference and an easier football conference! Rock Chalk!

BigAl

Total bs about this conference or that conference. The very best thing for Kansas is the Big-12. Period. Better than the PAC and better than the Big East, the ACC or the SEC. The Big 12 is situated right in the middle of the country where we just happen to be. No different time zones and no huge travel days. A viable Big-12 with new leadership is what would be the very best for Kansas.

11 years, 2 months ago

A Grape posing as a Mizzou troll...

What a hoot you're having today!

BigAl

The Big-12 is obviously NOT dead. By the way dooshnozzle, has Mangino landed a job YET?

Dale Kroening

As shown by your posts, that T stands for TOOL..............You just dont have a clue.

pgittemeier09

i have heard this comment from you 8 times now...please stop as it is getting annoying

pgittemeier09

i belong on I-35

William Daniels

I second pgittemeier. We get it already jhwkfan. You think you are clever with your very unimaginative names for the conference. It was not inspiring the first time you posted, and it is downright obnoxious the 100th time. You did inspire me to post these feelings by the over the top, name calling, blathering response to pgittemeier....I couldn't let that stand without a rebuke.

And by the way, no one has a right to post here, we all have the privilege of posting here.

rob4lb

I agree with Big Al. There have been some substantive changes with the Big 12 the last few weeks. There is new leadership and at least some compromise. I can't blame MU or any other schools for exploring options if they are available. Every school with options has done that. Three schools have left and three schools (UT, OU, and OSU) have decided to stay. MU has options and should evaluate them. The other five really don't have options to explore.

There are compelling reasons to stay and to leave for MU. I think it is up to Neinas and the other conference schools to convince MU that the Big 12 is best for them. It sounds like that is happening. This conference is alot weaker without Missouri.

BigAl

And they didn't leave. You are slow but you might be catching on.

Lance Hobson

The driving distance argument is really a push at best. It's over 12 hours to most Texas schools, and if we add BYU and/or Boise State we're now talking days vice hours. Tuscaloosa is a 10-hour drive from Columbia, Arkansas is 5, both Miss schools are 6-7 and Baton Rouge is less than 10. Auburn is about 11 hours. A&M is closer than TT, Baylor and UT.

The better argument is that they will never, ever win another conference title, but I guess we need to kiss up to them now.

Jeff Coffman

I'm sorry did they win a title in the Big XII? Maybe a Big XII North, but that isn't really a conference title.

Problems Missouri is having:

1. No one, big 12 or not, even cares about Missouri. Homer Simpson's dad still only counts 49 states, for instance. "It will be a cold day in hell before I count Missourah as a state!"

2. Missouri hasn't even been invited to the SEC!

3. The therapists in Columbia are overbooked the last couple years since Missouri declared they were going to the Big 10. The reason? Missouri puts the "a.s.s." In passive aggressive....

4. Have you heard? Since the SEC already has two teams who are Tigers, Missouri's board is pulling all night meetings, frantically having discussions regarding MU's new mascot's colors which will be painted on their new mascot: "the Golden Jackass of Misery".

jgkojak

FOR THE LAST TIME -- BOISE STATE is not coming to the B12. They are 10 years removed from being a Jr College - and are not only unranked by US News nationally, they're not even in the Top 50 regionally (hint: Oral Roberts is #50)--

so academically they bring less than nothing - they are a huge liability.

and distance-wise - its not even cost effective to only play them in football.

and, they have fewer TVs than Kansas.

So... no. No Boise State. Get real people.

pgittemeier09

a voice of reason...finally

Jeff Coffman

I still think that MU leaves to go to the SEC.

OU and OSU were sidelined in the PAC because of academics (specifically OSU), so they will be #15/#16 in the SEC.

I believe the Big XII is dead as well, I just think that this has bought more time for OU/OSU to negotiate with the SEC.

I don't think any of the curators are actually going to sign that document before they know that Missouri has made their decision and that no other teams are leaving, which lets be honest, Missouri is just figuring out how much it is going to cost and trying to avoid lawsuits for the SEC. The best way to do that is to ensure that the Big XII dissolves. The SEC is helpful in that they will basically take most of the teams forcing the fall of the Big XII.

Travis Clementsmith

Talk about fantasies. As long as UT and OU are willing to prop up the Big XII and the networks are willing to pay for it, OSU, Baylor, Tech, KU, KSU and ISU will be "proud members of the Big XII". The PAC isn't expanding with the LHN. Texas isn't giving up the LHN and if Texas isn't going, neither is anyone else.

MU might leave, but they will regret it in a few years like I think Arkansas does today. They'll be a mostly forgotten program that brought them TV markets. Texas will blackball their recruiting efforts in the state, B1G states won't have recruits that want to play in the south and they will be forced to live off the leftovers in SEC country.

The fans of Mizzou are still reeling over the B1G rejection, it'll be interesting to see if the MU leadership will succumb to the mob like they did at A&M. I'm almost to the point that I hope they go. Couldn't happen to a worse school and fan base.

11 years, 2 months ago

Hope you're correct about the PAC. The 4th school should be BYU. It is clearly the most qualified candidate between Denver and the west coast. There are many, many Mormons on the west coast. I'm looking out the living room window right now at a huge Mormon temple on west Santa Monica Blvd. in L.A. The unspoken religious (and resulting cultural) differences between the PAC and BYU are big; but common business and sports interests, coupled with the lack of other PAC caliber candidates west of Denver, compel both sides to get BYU into the PAC.

Clarence Haynes

Never have I read so many bad head cases making comments!
You people are pathetic!

Andy Tweedy

Okay, so here is my wish list for expansion. And this has NOTHING to do with what will really happen. In fact, I'm quite sure none of it will, so please don't tell me I'm crazy, I realize this is just folly!

To a 16 team conference, we bring in:

1) Air Force: Love the Garden of the Gods! Can't get enough of that Rocky Mountain Air.
2) Wyoming: More Rocky Mountain air and lots of wide open spaces!
3) South Dakota: It's only 90 minutes from Omaha, so I could have an easy roadie to games!
4) Colorado State: See 1 & 2.
5) Colorado School of Mines: see 1, 2 & 4.
6) BYU: Wasatch Mountain air, and lots of it!
7) New Mexico: Rocky Mountain air with a whole host of lovely Latinas!!!

There, the perfect conference. Every year, I'm guaranteed a trip or three to the mountains, and every other year, I get a whole city full of J-Los!!!

Mike Nicco

It's a good step forward but not the end all. The LHN is Tier III TV rights and will decide the conference. Call the Big 12 good when UT gives in on that....

Andy Tweedy

If they give in on that, we have to give in on the $7 mill we make on the Jayhawk Network. Not sure that number is totally accurate, but that's what I'm told.

Travis Clementsmith

University of Oklahoma $317,361.00
University of Colorado $155,528.00
Texas Tech University $0.00
Texas A&M University $0.00
Baylor N/A

Travis Clementsmith

Try this link if it didn't work:

Mike Nicco

We lead the Big 12 in Tier III TV rights revenue...who knew?!?!
If the revenue is bball exclusive; while it is very impressive, it is also quite disheartening to know it means almost nothing in conference realignment.

Jeff Kilgore

The thing I'm looking at is that college rivalries don't really matter all that much anyone, at least not to me. If I were MU, I would bolt the Big XII, and I think that they will. Now, once they get there, five years out, if they're not competitive, they'll wonder why they ever left for all the negative reasons that have been listed. The main reason they're going is to get out from under KU's dominance in basketball. They really hate that.

Once the super conference 64 is in place, it will be challenged in court, and that challenge might have some legs. Overall, I feel as though college sports as we once knew it, albeit not clean at all, is now giving way to professional amateurism, which, if it benefits big business, will do what it wants. Big business always wins, and it will win this battle. The BCS was a powerful business, but the new 64 are much stronger than the good old boys club.

11 years, 2 months ago

Has Missouri been invited?

11 years, 2 months ago

I agree that the prospect of better BB standing is part of MU's motivation for leaving, but not the main reason.

Regarding the exclusive nature of the 64 structure and the NCAA football final four being a monopoly or an unreasonable restraint of trade: at some point the 64 will be sufficiently pressured by the 6 or 8 FB schools just outside the bubble that the 64 will admit some of the bubble teams, resulting in another round being added to the tournament. Congress & the Prez will then enact legislation sanctioning the structure, & the S.Ct. will bless it. Business interests dictate so.

Travis Clementsmith

Slive is the Lord of Swamp Castle; SEC school who could care less about Mizzou is Prince Herbert; and Mizzou is Princess Looki:

Slive: Get ready, you're getting married to Mizzou in about 24 hours.

SEC Schools: But we don't want get married.

Slive: Why not?

SEC Schools: Because we don't love Mizzou.

Slive: Don't Love her? Don't love her! What's wrong with her? She's pretty, she's rich, she has huuuge... TV Markets.

SEC Schools: But, I don't care about TV Markets.

Slive: Look, here! We live in the bloody South! We need all the large TV markets we can get!

SEC Schools: Yes, but I want the school we invite to have that certain, something....

Slive: Stop right there! You're not breaking into song while I'm here! Look, you're marrying Mizzou, so you better get used to the idea! [slap]

11 years, 2 months ago

SEC Schools: But Mizzou didn't join us when it really counted.

Slive: You're forgetin. Kaintuck didn't either. Sides, times has changed. Adolf ain't coaching BB anymore. Even the postmaster of Oxford ended up in Hollywood writin' screen plays.

SEC Schools:: What postmaster ya talkin bout?

Slive: Ya'll better know whom I'm talkin bout. Get outa' har & work on yer book learnin"

SEC Schools (talking among themselves): Well alright. They mighta whipped us but they ain't kilt us yet. Ain't that right, genrl?

Slive: Stop ya' back sassin and get on home.

11 years, 2 months ago

"Missouri's supersecret midnight meeting with it's board of curators":

--------------

Leader: Welcome. Well let's get down to business. Have we been invited to go to any other conference besides the Big 12?

{{excruciating silence}}

Leader: Not even... The MWC???

{{a drop of water can be heard hitting the table}}

Leader (pulling out a Kleenex): You may be dismissed.

Steve Brown

Jesse James was a two gun man,
Roll on Missouri, roll.

11 years, 2 months ago

2 hands. 2 Colt 45's brother. The man wasn't messin around! Probably a couple of his long lost relatives on the MU curator board.

There was speculation from my own father, long dead now, that Jesse James suited up for Missouri and played against Kansas in basketball during a time when his wanted posters were up. Just a game then vanished into the night.

I'll have to search his journals he left behind for the entire story. I remember when he told me apparently a lot of the townfolk at the time were pretty freaked out with the mystery player's actions on the court... And just like that, gone the next day.

I was a kid when he first told me the story... But I can remember thinking as I went to sleep that night.. "Well, yes he was a bad guy & shot a lot of people, but why in the hell would a clean shaven daredevil on the run named Jesse James avoid playing the best game ever invented, if only for a night, BEFORE he goes & gets shot?"

Nice.

FLJHK

A radio talk show host here in Tampa was commenting on conference expansion the other day. He's a big SEC guy but also a traditionalist, and does not like the conference realignments that have been occurring. He spoke specifically about the prospect of Missouri to the SEC, and hated it. He also did not support A&M's move. As he stated it, the culture of the SEC is that it includes states where the Confederate flag is still flown with pride in certain rural hamlets and backwater areas. He was by no means condoning that practice, he was just commenting that that is the culture of the states in the SEC. He didn't think A&M fit, and thought MU fit even less.

A poster above believed it understandable if MU chooses to go to to the SEC. I understand that sentiment in the sense that the SEC is currently a more "stable" conference. Too, with the recent defections from the Big 12, it must be recognized that if they do go there, the SEC will have more AAU schools than the Big 12. But I retain the belief that there will remain a significant cultural difference. MU's decision will be a powerful statement of how they view themselves. Had they gotten a Big 10 offer a year ago, I would have understood and respected that choice. I don't feel the same about the SEC.

As the Big 12 evolves and re-establishes a brand, I hope that culture, geography and academics play at least as large a role as athletics. A conference is not merely a collection of athletic rivals; other conference members are peers. Does the Big 10 regret having Northwestern as a member institution? Does the SEC regret Vanderbilt?

In addition to history and culture, MU also is a critical geographical link. Missouri borders more states than any other state in the country. Retaining them satisfies my bias that conference members should be able to get to other conference institutions by driving without entering non-member states. Retaining MU eliminates the prospect of Iowa State's isolation, and also opens schools in Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas for inclusion.

Blending all my biases, and assuming MU retention, first tier expansion targets are BYU and AFA jointly, then Tulane, Rice or Louisville, or ideally all three for a 14-team conference.

Very intereting indeed.

Even more interesting is that Missouri actually did file their paperwork to be a Confederate state at the last minute. By the time all was said & done, the war was over & yet again, Missouri showed their intentions but couldn't legally be part of what they wanted to be part of.

A new country had emerged. A Free country. And poor Missouri never even got to fly a confederate flag like the rest of the SEC states.

Nice.

hawkalumN2011

+1 Missouri.....Confederate-wannabe losers.....I love it! Kansas Redleggers fought those bastards tooth and nail.....the Confederate Flag is the undying symbol of greatest blunder in history.

11 years, 2 months ago

As Northwestern and Vandy are to the B10, so Rice could be to the B12, provided the league survives and goes to 14. UT should no longer have a veto on such matters.

Tim Orel

Vanderbilt is SEC, so I guess you're suggesting "As Northwestern is to the B10 and Vandy is to the SEC, so Rice could be to the B12..."

Somehow I don't see Rice ever winning the conference as Northwestern has done and so gone to a BCS bowl game. Then again, Northwestern has never had its ticket punched to the big dance, iirc.

11 years, 2 months ago

Thanks. I forgot to type SEC, too. I recall Ted Owens venturing one time only into the SEC, to its northern extremes, Nashville, to play and lose to Vandy.

Maybe someone knows what KU's and MU's all-time BB records (excluding March Madness) and FB records are against the SEC. I suspect that MU has played SEC teams much more often.

11 years, 2 months ago

Just remembered. KU, under Ted Owens, played a home & away series for several years with Kentucky. KU rarely won. Roy Williams, while coaching at KU, also played Kentucky a few times. .

Tony Bandle

My projected Big Twelve:

Northwestern
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
M.I.T.
California Poly Tech
Stanford
Princeton
Rutgers
NYU
Brown
Kansas

Our debate team needs the challenge of top flight competition to maintain it's national championship ways!!!