Brought to you by Lawrence Photo Store

Blue chip recruit Brannen Greene picks KU

Brannen Greene, a 6-7 junior small forward from Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga., on Tuesday orally committed to play basketball at Kansas.

Kansas University landed an oral commitment Tuesday from one of the prize basketball prospects in the Class of 2013 — Brannen Greene, a 6-foot-8, 200-pound junior small forward from Mary Persons High in Forsyth, Ga.

Greene, who is ranked No. 35 nationally by Rivals.com, chose Bill Self’s Jayhawks over UConn, Louisville and Harvard. Memphis, Ohio State, Florida State and many others were in the mix.

“I just feel Kansas is a place I could excel not only athletically, but academically, socially. It’s a perfect environment,” Greene said in a phone interview. “I am excited and relieved to consider myself a Jayhawk. I take a sense of pride in that. I will represent the university well. I look forward to it,” Greene added.

He chose KU a day before his 17th birthday and five days prior to Christmas, which begged the question: Was this an early Christmas gift for KU, Brannen or Brannen’s parents?

“I would say (a gift) to all,” Brannen’s dad, Jeffrey, said with a laugh. “We really respected the time and the energy that the KU staff put into the Greene family and the time and energy and work Brannen put in toward skill work and conditioning work the past many years. He’s been recruited since eighth grade. At some point, as a family we said, ‘We need to decide because we have tremendous programs here that have offered scholarships. We need to be respectful of their time.’ It humbled us,” Jeffrey added of recruiting. “We saw no need to drag it out. It behooved us to come to a decision at this time.”

Greene and his parents — dad played college ball at Pittsburg State and mom, Lori, at Missouri Southern — attended the 2011 Late Night in the Phog. Dad by the way is 6-foot-5 1/2; mom 6-2 1/2.

“We felt like Kansas offered the perfect environment for Brannen. He is a young, energetic, very talented, very smart kid with a 4.0 GPA, a very disciplined kid. We felt that environment fosters integrity and family and all the things we pride ourselves on,” Jeffrey Greene said. “Coach (Bill) Self and his spirit and enthusiasm and excitement for my son was unquestioned. He believes in Brannen and is going to continue to enhance Brannen’s life toward success. I believe it to my core.”

Brannen, who is considered an outstanding outside shooter with the ability to slash, is averaging 24.5 points and 14.0 rebounds a game this season for 6-4 Mary Persons High. As a soph, he averaged 17.1 ppg.

Brannen describes himself as “a long, versatile wing who can score the ball and handle the ball, who can handle the 1 through 3,” he said of point guard, shooting guard and small forward.

Dad notes: “He is a very heady, high-IQ wing guard that is able to score when called on in any given time, but also a playmaker who involves his teammates well. He’s an exceptional shooter. He was born with natural ability to stroke the ball. We’ve enhanced it (shot) since he was 2, 3 years old. His range is easily 24, 26 feet.”

A proud future Jayhawk, Brannen said he plans on trying to attract some of his peers to his college.

“I will go to recruit starting now. I might even be like coach Self,” Greene said with a laugh. “Just kidding.”

He certainly respects Self, as well as his parents.

“My dad and I have been talking it out. He has pads and pads of information on schools. We’ve been weighing the options,” Brannen said. “The feeling came to us and we made the decision. In talking to coach Self in the recruiting process, I feel KU is the right place for me. This is a very big day for me. To all the Kansas fans, I just look forward to all the time I’m in the gym playing and Rock Chalk.”

KU has landed two early commitments in the Class of 2013. No. 65-rated Conner Frankamp, 6-1, 180 from Wichita North, committed on July 16, his 16th birthday. Players in the Class of 2012 who have signed with KU: Perry Ellis (6-8, Wichita Heights), Zach Peters (6-9, Plano, Texas), Landen Lucas (6-8, Portland). KU has received commitments from Andrew White, 6-6, Chester, Va.; and Anrio Adams, 6-3, Seattle. Also, Ben McLemore, 6-5, St. Louis, and Jamari Traylor, 6-8, Chicago, will be eligible next season.

Comments

Bruce Dial

I like the fact BOTH of this kid's parents were involved. I like more the fact that Brannen's father said the family was humbled. Sounds a world apart from Carl Sr., an ex-Jayhawk who arrogantly thought he was doing any school to which his son(s) went a favor.

Jeff Schartz

Thank you, well said.

JJHAWK

Wait a minute. Weren't the naysayers trumpeting that Coach Self had lost his recruiting abilities. Surely they couldn't have been wrong? Could they?

Micky Baker

I do seem to remember that some were, but we did lose some recruits because of taking them to a football game. That wasn't Bill Self's fault.

rockchalk80

anyone thinking we have been doing a good job recruiting isn't being honest with the situation.

it "appears" Self is interjecting himself directly into the process - that hasn't happened in recent years... Tarc is a prime example.

Christopher Giordano

Get ready to celebrate another National Championship in 2014!!

hawk316

I really like how our future classes are shaping up. Self and staff are doing their typically excellent job.

Kye Clark

Sounds like he comes from an excellent family. Between him and Perry, these kids are as good as they come for any basketball program. Happy to have them at KU.

jayhawker_97

+Andrew White - all of them seem like hi-IQ ballers.
this is truely a merry Christmas - the merriest one in terms of recruitment in HCBS era, IMHO.

treed14ku

Zach Peters and Landen Lucas say don't forget about us and our quality families and basketball IQ. Exactly the type of players you need for a title. Throw in Tharpe, B-Mac, Rio Adams, Jamari Traylor, Conner Frankamp, potentially Isaiah Lewis, Allerik Freeman, Chris Walker and/or Julius Randle and the 2013-2014 Jayhawks could be the most stacked Jayhawk team we've ever seen. We wouldn't have that carrot/stick problem Keegan wrote about yesterday, that's for sure.

John Brown

B-Mac is not showing a high IQ if he's got one. Personally, I am glad to see a 4 point student signing for KU cause I'm tired of kids doing stupid acts like B-Mac. Its getting embarassing.

FSUJHAWK

Kids will be kids and do "stupid acts" regardless of GPA. I know this for a fact. I believe a quality family and upbringing is more an indicator of whether a kid is going to do a "stupid act" or not. Further, simply because a kid does a "stupid act" doesnt mean that kid is stupid and destined for failure. Again, I know this from experience.

Welcome BG!

RCJHGKU!!!

John Brown

hawk316

I, too, was impressed with what appears to be an excellent family. I loved Brannen's father's comments. Sounds like a very classy guy.

tdscpa

Brannen: Please become a good free-throw shooter before you get here. We really do not need any more 1 point bricklayers.

Ian Brown

Uh oh, he's up to 6'8" now? Alright! Greene appears to be going through the usual Kansas growth spurt. He's already up an inch from yesterdays column, and up two inches from his Scout and ESPNU listings.

Perhaps the weight of his decision was literally weighing him down to the point that he couldn't stand straight enough to get an accurate height measurement, haha.

Of course, this is no big deal, in fact, it is no "deal" at all, for he is as tall as he is, it doesn't matter what a team program lists him as. I just think it's funny, and quite interesting, to be honest. It seems that whenever recruits commit to Kansas, KUSports adds on an inch or two to their height. They also do that with current players when they become one of the focal points on the team, such as with T-Rob, when he went up from 6'7", to 6'8", and now he's at 6'10". Teahan also hit a growth spurt at the ripe age of 23, when snuck up on us by sprouting up to the 6'6" that KU lists him at this year when he just happens to be in the rotation.

As for the real news, congrats on the decision, Mr. Greene, and welcome to Kansas. I wish there were some highlight videos on youtube, or anywhere, but I can't seem to find any. But from what I've read, and gathered by word of mouth, I am very, very, very excited that we got this guy. Plus he has the rivals/espn ratings to appease all the fans who believe that if a player isn't rated in the top 60 or so, they aren't good, and they probably will never be more than a role player during their time at KU. So regardless, he's got both (talent and espn popularity), so it's a win-win.

Anyhow, welcome aboard, Mr. Greene.

(P.S. I like Mr. Greene as a sort of "nickname". It sounds professional, which is fitting for a such an intelligent and hardworking young man. Also, he's Mr. Greene because he'll be "money" when the ball is in his hands, whether he's draining a 23-footer, or pulling up for a 16-footer near the elbow to show off his mid-range game. What makes me like it most, though, is that it brings to mind "Reservoir Dogs", even though there was no "Mr. Green" in the movie to go along with Mr. Pink, Blue and so on. Well we got Mr. Greene. And Zach Peters can be Mr. Blonde.)

ParisHawk

+1, Mr. Brown.

treed14ku

I seriously doubt Robinson was ever listed as 6-7 at KU. Find me some shred of evidence to back this up. You had a point about the Greene height discrepancy, but you digressed into Robinson non-sense and Jaybate-esque nickname rambling. Poor effort Iverson.

jaybate

Anyone using "jaybate-esque rambling" has a diction affliction.

Great post, iBrown3.

Clarence Haynes

Sometimes it happens. There is a player at Kentucky by the namr of Anthony Davis who I believe was 6-2 when schools began recruiting him and he is now 6-11. To be so fortunate to have a growth spurt like that for Davis and Kentucky!

WilburNether

Basketball programs lie about a player's height about as much as football programs lie about a player's time in the 40.

Ian Brown

Yeah, I certainly understand that.

I'm just saying that it seems like KUSports and LJworld is doing it more so than the actual basketball program is.

I expect KU to advertise their players as being an inch or two taller than they might actually be, but it seems that LJWorld feels even more obligated to do it than KU, which, as I orginally said, is interesting and rather funny to me.

Micky Baker

Kids do sometimes grow a few inches in a year.

milehighhawk

Once we get Mr. White and Mr. Greene on the floor, we're sporting a decent "all Reservoir Dog" lineup.

Welcome to KU!

jaybate

Sweet!

Now I'm stuck with the image of a lug with a color name being tortured in a chair while soaked in gasoline by a smoker and being directed by a guy squandering his talent on post modern violence and fantasizing about the day when he is down on his luck and has to try to get back in the good graces of Hollywood by doing an anti Nazi movie about beating peoples brains out with bats.

Thanks!

:-)

Dan Harris

That has to be the longest sentence in the history of kusports

nuleafjhawk

Can we call coach " Mr Bill " ?

frompekka2sasha

Oh noooo :-o

Ian Brown

Oh yeah! How'd I forget about Mr. White? Obviously, he's a perfect fit.

Ben Simonett

HA!

Now Self just needs to use use his Chicago contacts to sign Jabari BROWN and we'd be set to rob the Big12 bank for another 3-4 years!

DDDHawk

Brannen- Welcome to KU! I'm glad that we're getting such a great student, as well as athlete! And tell your Dad welcome back, too! I'm glad that he had that good experience at the field house so many years ago!

Bellator

KU is setting up for a great run. I love how the next 2 years are shaping up. Quality smart big guys like Peters, Ellis, Lucas and Greene and a shooter (Frankamp) like we haven't had since Boschee.

Add to the fact that we might be coming off a disappointing year and if not that certainly a year where Self's coaching axe will be as sharp as it has ever been and I am JACKED UP.

Merry Christmas to all.

PS - And Santa brought us a football coach. Life is good, life is good!

petey55

Great write up on this kid and his father (Pitt State alum) in the KC Star.... check it out.

Lance Hobson

And he's grown and inch since yesterday, this just keeps getting better!! I like our future!

Brannen is already smart, now he's about to become tough as steel and incredibly fit as Self molds him into greatness.

jaybate

Brannen Greene.

Andrew White.

Chancellor Grey.

Bill, snag a Mr. Black, a Mr. White, a Mr. Gold, a Mr. Brown, and maybe a kid nicknamed Red.

It will be the All Crayola team, babyyyyyyyy!

Bellator

Or we'll be ready for a sequel to Reservoir Dogs. Maybe we can get Quentin Tarantino to come to a game.

Jeremy LeMaster

First, Happy Birthday Brannen!

Welcome to the Jayhawk family, we are excited for you to be a part of the tradition! Bring your friends with you :)

HawkKlaw

This can't be right. Self got another top rated recruit to come to Kansas??? But I thought everyone on here was talking about how he can't recruit? Has anyone from LJW been able to verify this story? This just doesn't make sense what with all the "Self can't recruit" naysayers lurking around here 'n all. I guess the kid only has a 4.0 GPA, which isn't really that great. All I'm going to say is that Self made this bed and now he's going to have to lay in it. Dark times ahead for KU and stuff. Rabble, rabble.

TXBBall55

Congrats Brannen! All of KU nation is excited to have you.

With that said, the delusional zealots need to get a grip. HCBS has gotten his tailed kicked on the recruiting front over the past couple of years and sticking your head in the sand doesn't change the facts...the facts that have left the cupboard somewhat bare and allows KU to lose to a team like Davidson. Let's recap for those not paying attention:

2010 Recruiting Battle Loses
- Harrison Barnes
- Brandon Knight
- Terrence Jones
- Doron Lamb
Wins? Selby (think some coaches saw his baggage?)

2011 Recruiting Battle Loses (just the main ones as the list is too long)
- Brad Beal
- LeBryan Nash
- Deandre Daniels
- Josiah Turner
- Jabari Brown
- Norvel Pelle
- Trevor Lacey
- Angelo Chol
Wins? Ben McLemore (inelgible)

2012 Recruiting Battle Loses
- Kaleb Tarczewski
Wins? Ellis and White (we hope -- if White signs)

To deny that Self has had major problems on the recruiting front is foolish. The above lists don't even include the kids that KU had interest in but was never even able to get out of the gates with. The 2013 class is looking promising and I'm cautiously optimistic. Just save the "Bill Self can't recruit" sarcasm for when he's put 2010 and 2011 well behind him. Until then, it's relevant.

Jack Wilson

+1. No one says he can't recruit. Just puzzling misses -- love the rebound we're seeing: Here's a cut and paste from an ESPN story, Mike Laplante, national perspective:

Kansas is considered one of the elite basketball programs that has the ability to compete for a national championship on a yearly basis, but in order to do that it has to bring in the horses. There is an old adage among coaches: “The team with the better players is usually better coached.” With the commitment of 6-foot-6 ESPNU 60 shooting guard Brannen Greene (Monroe, Ga./Mary Parsons), Kansas has made a big statement that it is back in the game when it comes to attracting elite (McDonald’s All-American-type) players.

Despite being one of the elite programs in the nation, Kansas had been mysteriously missing from the top-10 class rankings in recent years since 2009 (when the Jayhawks were No. 5). There is no question that coach Bill Self and his staff are excellent recruiters, but there was a little head scratching going on within the business as to why the Jayhawks -- who have the tradition, facilities, and fan following that few can match -- were, for lack of a better word, struggling, to attract top-25 caliber talent. I think the obvious answer is that recruiting just goes in cycles sometimes, but it is still important for a program of Kansas’ pedigree to get its fair share of elite talent.

Greene, who is an excellent student (Harvard was one of his finalists), has been a priority for Kansas; he is a focused young man with a tremendous work ethic. Although Greene will need to improve his shot selection when he gets to the college level, his size and versatility on the wing will be a great fit for the Jayhawks' system, because he has a scorer’s mentality and can shoot it from deep. Plus, his combination of size and athleticism, along with an advanced offensive skill level, will make him a tough matchup for opponents.

It will be interesting to see what impact Greene’s commitment will have on other elite players in the 2013 class. In-state combo-guard Conner Frankamp (Wichita, Kan./ North) already has cast his lot with the Jayhawks and Kansas is now focused on locking up another top-25 player from their 2013 list, presumably Julius Randle (Dallas/Prestonwood Christian).

Competition for the elite talent is not for the faint at heart; by coming into the fertile state of Georgia and securing a commitment from potentially the best player in the state, the Jayhawks send a loud message that when it comes to attracting top-25 talent they are back!

Mel Clare

Idiot.............how can you say all these kids are losses? There are over 130 Division I NCAA schools who are recruiting all these kids all the time AND there are PLENTY of ELITE schools going after the same kids...............I suppose in YOUR minial thought process that Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, UConn, ect, ect, ect.............were LOSERS when we had Rush, Collins, Chalmers, T Rob, Kahn, Arthur.....................IT happens to every school who recruits every kid.................YOU will NOT win them all!!!! And if he is a one and done kid......................who the &^$#@ wants him anyway? Each time you are here you just blow up about Self and his recruiting.............I really get sick of seeing your commments about Sef and his recruiting.............pull your head out of your ^$% and realize that we WONT get each of them each year........what a moron!

TXBBall55

This has to be one of the most schizophrenic posts ever (btw, an ellipsis is "...").

Obviously, KU isn't going to win them all. For a program to fall out of the top 25 in consecutive years indicates KU isn't winning anything close to its fair share. Stick your head in the sand if you want. HCBS struggled badly in 2010 and 2011. 2012 and 2013 are looking promising, so let's hope!

And as far as my posts, the only negativity I've EVER brought on this board is my concern over ONE 3-star recruit -- ONE!!!!

TXBBall55

To clarify, I said top 25, but I really mean top 10-15.

Jack Wilson

sniper: You start by calling him an idiot and end by calling him a moron. You make strawman arguments. You state the obvious. And you make no real arguments in support of your apparent premise .. that missing on top ranked kids aren't actually misses/losses.

Let me ask you this .. do you think coach Self has "lost" or "missed" on needed recruits? Before you answer, go back to the tape from Monday and see who the first sub was at guard and who the first sub was in the post. You'll have your answer.

But you can't win all the time -- and some of it is bad luck. Things didn't break right. Proof is in the pudding -- and the pudding is tasting better and better as Self puts the misses in the rear view mirror.

TXBBall55

Great post High. I for one am READY for HCBS to get things back on track (in terms of recruiting). We don't need to dwell on "the misses", but to ignore "the misses" is as equally foolish.

If KU can sign White and pick up one more top kid in 2012 (and finish off 2013), I think HCBS will thankfully have things back on track.

lee3022

Actually there are 345 schools who play D-1 NCAA Men's Basketball. But most cannot recruit from the top 100. The schools that can recruit that list vary between 80-100. But the factor that is ignored is that most of the top 50 think they are one and done. The real prize recruits are normally between 35-150 as these are multi-year players. There are always recruits unranked by the recruiting services who become starters on top and elite programs proving the fallacies of the recruiting services.

rockchalkchalkin23

"To deny that Self has had major problems on the recruiting front is foolish." +100 TXBBall55

TXBBall55

Ok, officially changing my ID after this post. I'm from Lawrence, went to KU, live in Dallas.

I wish KU would have been focused on winning Monday.

BigJayhawkPhan

This is my new ID. Make sure you point your hate at me correctly.

Michael Bratisax

Nice post TXBBall55.
Hopefully the next 2 classes plus Ben McLemore will right the ship.
Nice to see HCBS bringing in quality recruits.
I would like to see a true PF added to the group if Peters fizzles.

sniper...either ease up or get back on your meds.

Michael Bratisax

oops..BigJayhawkPhan

HawkKlaw

I just think it's funny how worked up the Self critics get when recruiting is mentioned. And they just dismiss the fact that Bill Self has a proven formula for winning. Recruiting is not an exact science, you know. In the end it's up to the player and his family to make the decision of where to go. Despite the fact that I'm a Kansan and love living here, the state of Kansas is not exactly most players' destination of choice (in the case of Tarc...would you rather spend a couple years in Arizona or Kansas? C'mon now...) Not to mention the state of the Big 12...if I were a recruit, I would wait until there is some stability before I go choosing one of the Big 12 schools as my future home. If you don't think that's been an issue for Self & Co. then wake up. Sure, Kansas has a great tradition. But that's in the past, and recruits are looking at what to expect in the future. Nobody knows what to expect from the Big 12 yet. I would imagine that it is incredibly difficult (nay, impossible) to reassure a recruit that the conference will be just fine when nothing has been decided yet.

I get upset when a recruit chooses another school too. But when that does happen, it's time to move on. All the griping and elitist whining just makes me glad that KU does miss out on some top recruits. It keeps us humble. It lessens our sense of entitlement. Passionate fans are great. Entitled "we should get all the best players" fans are annoying.

Adam James

Anyone here rumors that Gordon from California might be a Jayhawk. I just checked him out and he is the real deal. He would be icing on the cake with the guys from 2013.

Ian Brown

I assume you're speaking of Aaron Gordon (Rivals Class of 2013 #6 player overall, #2 SF).

That would be pretty awesome. The kid is an exceptional athlete who can absolutely leap out of the building, and he also seems to have pretty decent handles for his height.

I knew we were in his top 5, and I just checked again, and it appears that we're in his top 3, but I had always heard that he was a HEAVY (all caps) Washington lean. According to Rivals, he has a high interest in Washington, and shows medium interest in Kansas and... you guessed it, Arizona!

I don't think it would be too much of problem considering the type of player/athlete he is, but he happens to be a small forward and around 6'7", which we appear to be in sudden abundance of (at least potentially).

Tony Bandle

Bill Self's letter to Santa:

Dear Santa, I have been a very good boy this year but could you please bring me the following:

1] 10 less turnovers a game.
2] Someone who can hit an open three pointer.
3] Julius Randle
4] My team to realize that, as Kansas, we will forever have a target on our backs.
5] TRob to go All-American, lottery and live happily ever after.
6] Continue to maintain the best toup in Division One.
7] Against all odds, the last Big 12 title
8] Beat Missouri at least three times this year.
9] Another NCAA appearance
10] World Peace and a joyous holiday season for Jayhawk Nation.

Thank you, Santa, and as always, cookies and milk will be on the table by the fireplace.

Love, Billy

jaybate

Wickedly funny! I knew you had it in you!!!

Jack Wilson

Always enjoy Oakville's lists -
1) Is that 10 turnovers a game less from the team, or from Tyshawn (I'm kidding!!)
2) Hit an open three pointer -- against a mid-major .. you pick .. UNI/VCU/Davidson/Oral Roberts/Bradley/Buckell.
3) If he is eligible to play of course.
4) When we don't, we'll know something is wrong.
5) Perfect.
6) What, that's not real? A buddy of mine said he never cared, real or not ... but I think he was referring to something else.
7) How about a surprising run to the final four by the underdog Jayhawks, beating Duke in the semis because we hit our free throws, beating Kentucky in the final ... because coach Cal didn't foul EJ, with a foul to give, as he hits the game winning 3 .
8) "At least" .... why stop there; how about crushing their final four hopes in an Elite 8 game in Auburn, Michigan.
9) Given.
10) World peace .. once all the bad guys are gone.

Todd Conner

I like the fact that 1-3 on the court in 2 years will be able to fill it up from the outside. Also, alot of parts and depth. when Frankamp is your 2nd or 3rd guy off the bench, you are doing something right. All of these kids are scoring machines, it's just a matter of who plays D.

ChiJayhawk4

Welcome Brannen!!!! You already sound like a Jayhawk; mature, well spoken, and eager to hit the gym! You will love it here. . .

Rock Chalk!

Casey Gee

Another 4.0 student. Sounds to me like Coach Self is responding to the last couple years' recruiting inelligibilities.

Gene Jackson

Mr. Green looks very young - - bound to keep growing. Wouldn't be surprised to see him grow a few more inches next year.

Steve Yeakel

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Greene family, we are so blessed and happy you have joined us.

jaybate

"Some Unlikely Triggers of KU's Poor Shooting Against Davidson"

~Bob McKillop's defensive scheme.

~Nudists wearing parkas at Siesta Key Beach.

~Bob McKillop's brilliant resort to 1-3-1 zone defense.

~A Queen Latifah underwire bra failure reading less than 8.0 on the Richter scale.

~Davidson's disciplined play.

~John Calvin's influence on rock and roll.

~Bob McKillops understanding of KU's weaknesses.

~John Knox's affect on modern art.

~Bob McKillop's clever substitutions.

~Britney Spears new wedding preventing the USA's invasion of Iran, Pakistan, Syria, and the duty free shop at Mogadishu.

~Bob McKillop's inspirational half time speech.

~Olympic giant slalom racing at Mt. Bleu.

~Bob McKillops astute bench persona.

~John Edward's standing ovation from the National Organization of Women.

~Bob McKillops' abilitiy to draw fresh new moving screens.

~Big tobacco thanks and appreciation from families of cancer victims.

~Bob McKillops wise use of time outs.

~Roy Williams losing a last game of the season without crying or taking the blame "for his kids, who played their hearts out."

~Bob McKillop's incredible competitiveness.

~Coach Consonants not animating Bob McKillop with micro wave mind, er, crowd control device deep in bowels of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

~Bob McKillop's keen insight into moving screens.

~Larry Brown's one day career as Davidson's AD.

(Note: all fiction. No malice.)

KuKain

Is this a serious post or are you completely inept?

Michael Bratisax

# 35 Rivals, # 22 Scout..
I often find reading the article is a good idea before posting.

Tracy L. Cauley

How long do you think it will take the clearinghouse to approve these guys? Two kids with 4.0's attending one High School. Thank God we won't have to deal with that drama. Rock Chalk.

lee3022

Congratulations to Brannen for choosing the top school in the country for academics/men's basketball/life lessons/wonderful campus life. There are others who claim on or the other of these. Nobody can claim them all except KU.

In two years you will be in at Late Night in the Phog, dancing and singing with your teammates and feeling the love of 16,000+ rabid KU fans. They do make some noise. There are literally millions of us alumni who follow every game and recruit. After today your notoriety has increased exponentially. My KU degree is among the most prized possessions I own. It is also the one I worked hardest to obtain. Thanks for making my day special.

shoedee

So here's a question. Now that HCBS is on a roll recruiting, what if... we actually hook Tony Parker and by some miracle get S. Muhammad? We are one of Muhammad's final 6 of course. From my count for next year, Wesley goes back to walk-on status, even so, ... we still already have 13 scholies accounted for. So... if we get 1 or 2 of these blue chippers for 2012, maybe Merv is asked to transfer and then maybe Kevin Young? Reminds a bit of the year Quintrell Thomas was asked to transfer after his freshman year and Tyrone Appleton as a juco transfer having played only 1 year. What do you guys think?

Even if we get neither Parker nor Muhammad this year, I have a feeling HCBS is going to "kill it" for 2013. So let's say T-Robb goes pro and of course Teahan and Taylor graduate. We've got Frankamp and Greene who are coming. I think we get Isaiah Lewis, likely Chris Walker and one of the three following: a) Julius Randle; b) Allerik Freeman or c) Jordan Mickey. Merv Lindsay is gone in this scenario as well. I think Merv will likely transfer out this year or at the end of next season. Also if one of our 3-star bigs don't pan out (Peters, Traylor or Lucas), I could see one of them going too after next season. We've got far too many 4 & 5 star guys who are interested in us for 2012 and 2013. What do you guys think?

One final thought- if we "kill it" like I think we will for 2013, we won't have any scholarship seniors on our 2013 roster, which means we won't have any room for 2014 recruits. Kind of a crazy scenario, but after watching the Prestonwood/Grace Academy game the other day, the 2014 Emmanuel Mudiay kid has got me salivating (he has KU high on his list too). I guess we need a couple one-and-doners (Muhammad or Randle?) or two-and-doners (Ellis?). Alright, my brain is starting to hurt given all these scenarios.

Vernon Riggs

You are off a year. T-Robb, Teahan and Taylor leaving at the end of this season open up spots for 2012 kids like White, Peters, Adams. 2013 Recruits like Greene, Frankamp will have scholorships freed up by EJ, Withey, Young, Releford leaving after their senior year.

Right now for 2012 we have 0 scholarships available if we add another player like Parker or Sabazz, Jayhawks would have to ask Wesley to go back to a Walk-on Status or ask someone to leave.

I haven't looked closely at 2013 but I count at least 4 Juniors on the team this year and we have committed 2 of their scholarships (Greene and Frankamp). We have at least two more to go.

2014, we would have at least Wesley to give if he doesn't gives it up.

Ben Kane

got this guy and he may bring others with him so i have just one question...

what happened to all of you who were saying Self can't recruit?

laughable. face it, recruiting tends to come and go in cycles and we are on the upswing baby!

Kye Clark

Just for point of clarification, while there may have been a few strays saying he couldn't recruit, most of the posters who were critical were not saying that. What we were saying was that he had some difficulties lately and the result was that we are seeing this year - the thinnest team in recent memory, both in terms of depth & talent. Nothing about the recent recruiting successes changes that or makes those criticisms & observations incorrect.

I don't know if recruiting goes in cycles...does it? I mean it's neat to say that, but we hadn't had a down year like this since Self came here. Certainly there is going to be some fluctuation; some years are going to be better than others. But that is to be expected with variables such as the uncertainty of players leaving early for the NBA. That accepted level of fluctuation doesn't explain a poor recruiting year (year-plus if you carry it out to losing on Tarczewski) like the one we just had. And no, if BMac, Traylor, & Anderson would have been eligible it wouldn't change the fact that it was a poor year.

People may point to the on-court struggles of other blue blood programs as evidence that it goes in cycles, but do we know that on-court struggles equates to poor recruiting? Maybe those programs landed recruits just as highly as ours but they didn't pan out. I don't really care enough to research other programs' recruiting during those years, but the statement "recruiting tends to come and go in cycles" seems like maybe it's something that's said to excuse away a poor recruiting year and the masses will just accept the statement as fact.

Personally, I never thought Self was "washed up" or couldn't recruit anymore. I was confident he'd right the ship. I know he works hard, and I'm stoked that hard work has paid off and he's brought in several excellent recruits.

Ben Simonett

ICT nailed it,

I've probably been one of, if not the most, vocal and controversial individual in my criticism of Self's recent recruiting but i have made it clear every step of the way that I never thought he couldn't recruit at a high level. I was simply making factual statements that the recruiting we were seeing was sub par compared to Selfs historical performance.

Now that we have early indications that that trend is changing i'm the first person to give kudos to self and staff for the good work and i wish them much more success in the future.

Ben Simonett

The realist in me has to point out that one recruit does not a great recruiting class make.

This is a big win for the program, but for all we know Greene and Frankamp could just turn out being the Ellis and White of KUs '13 class.

What i mean by that is they could be the two gems off setting the 3 below average recruits in the class that raise the class as a whole just above respectability.

This is a happy moment and we are all justified in celebrating the next few weeks, but lets not rest on our laurels, the '13 class is going to need at least 2 more excellent recruits to get the program moving back in the National Championship direction we all want it to.

Hopefully Greene can deliver on his efforts and attract those recruits to us!

AZHawk72

Congratulations, Coach Self and, welcome, Brannen! I'll admit that I've been critical of the recruiting approach of late because we've scrambled to gather a few bodies late after all the bigs have landed elsewhere. True, if nobody is going to be upfront with their coach and tell him whether he's leaving or staying, it's extremely difficult to recruit for a spot that isn't available.

Which brings me to another Georgia recruit, Parker. He's a great talent, but do we say "goodbye" to Lindsay yet. It pained me to see Quintrell be the second leading scorer at Illinois, thrashing the formerly unbeaten Ilini by sixteen on their own court. Meanwhile, we're watching totally gassed players turn the ball over repeatedly due to no depth.

Getting a couple early greatly solidifies the team and the recruiting process. Losing Withey, Releford, Johnson, and Young next year would certainly scream "get Randall and wait to see what happens.

And landing Frankamp and Greene early are a great start.

keith horinek

He reminds me somewhat of Brandon Rush, only taller. Great job HCBS!

Joseph Leon

You sound like a great kid. 4.0 GPA and early end to recruiting for KU. You will LOVE it at KU, and it will follow you everywhere. I live in NYC and we have huge turnouts to watch Jayhawk games here!