KU lands commitment from 2020 Indian Hills C.C. standout Tyon Grant-Foster

New Kansas commitment Tyon Grant-Foster on his official visit to KU

New Kansas commitment Tyon Grant-Foster on his official visit to KU by Matt Tait

The Kansas basketball program picked up its first commitment in the 2020 recruiting class on Monday morning, when Tyon Grant-Foster officially announced his pick for KU on Twitter.

The 6-foot-7, 187-pound guard from Indian Hills Community College in Ottumwa, Iowa, was in Lawrence for an official visit over the weekend and that was all he needed to make his decision.

Grant-Foster, a native of Kansas City, Kan., told the Journal-World during a Monday morning phone conversation that he made up his mind and told KU coach Bill Self about his decision on Saturday afternoon.

“I just felt like it was the best timing,” he said. “I felt like I would have the same opportunities at other schools, but if I can get this opportunity and I can do it at home, close to where I’m from, that’s a blessing. It would be a real bad idea if I turned it down.”

In 32 games with IHCC as a freshman, Grant-Foster made five starts, played significant minutes and had a strong second half of the season to finish with averages of 8.2 points and 4.4 rebounds per game.

With his length, athleticism and versatility, Grant-Foster fits the mold of recent KU signees Tristan Enaruna, Jalen Wilson and Christian Braun, players who can play multiple positions and be used in a variety of ways.

The preseason juco All-American who also had offers from Arkansas, Georgia, Iowa State, Kansas State, LSU, Miami, Oklahoma State, Oregon, SMU, Texas and more, said Self and company told him he could play any of the three guard positions at Kansas.

Asked if he had a preference, Grant-Foster said he would pick the 2 if he had to decide. But he added that he also had been working on his point guard skills during the past several months, hoping to become good enough on the ball to open up even more possibilities down the road.

Indian Hills has a true point guard, but Grant-Foster said he was one of the team’s primary ball handlers. He said the way the Warriors run their offense is “exactly” like KU, with multiple ball handlers on the floor at the same time.

Another major factor in Grant-Foster’s decision to pick Kansas was his relationship with KU assistant coach Jerrance Howard. Not only did Grant-Foster and Howard form an immediate bond, but the juco guard also said seeing Howard’s connection to his entire family was fun to watch.

“I feel like I can really relate to coach,” Grant-Foster said of Howard. “Coming from where he came from and coming from where I come from, we connected right off the bat. Say we’re at practice or I had a bad day, I can go talk to him about anything because I can relate to him so well. My relationship with Coach Howard was huge.”

Grant-Foster said his two younger brothers, 15-year-old Trayvon and 16-year-old Trayon, are both good players at KC Washington High and he hopes they one day will follow him to Kansas.

Making this decision for them and for other young players in KCK high schools was also on Grant-Foster’s mind.

“It was really important,” he said. “It shows everybody if you just stick to your dream and work hard, you can make it come true no matter what. So I feel like I’m going to be a real great role model for them.”

When asked if he planned to make his commitment official when the early signing period arrives on Nov. 13, Grant-Foster said, “Oh yeah.”

As for the looming NCAA allegations against KU, Grant-Foster said he and his family asked about the situation during his visit. What he heard in response from the Kansas coaches put his mind at ease.

“They were totally honest about it,” he said. “Coach Self said he was going to take care of it, and I’m not worried really at all. I just want to hoop.”

Grant-Foster is the first player in the 2020 class to commit to Kansas. With three seniors on the current roster, one open scholarship and the potential for early departures after the 2019-20 season, the Jayhawks could look to sign as many as four or five players in the 2020 class.

Comments

Ashwin Rao

Not that it matters much, but where is he ranked in the recruiting lists?

Matt Tait

I've read that he has a shot to land in the No. 1 spot among Juco rankings for the 2020 class... Rivals has him listed as a 4-star prospect.

Freddie Garza

Alrighty then!

Barry Weiss

welcome Tyon!

Stuart Corder

Tyon Grant-Foster is a great NBA-prototype athlete that has family support and his head in the right place - now he’s committed to the right place, too!

Rivals has him listed as “4 Star”, but he’s got the athleticism and size to set his own ceiling.

Welcome to your new second home, Tyon Grant-Foster! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

Also, in regards to the NCAA distraction, I think the confidence Bill Self revealed during his recruiting visit should provide a level of comfort for us fans.

Roger Ortega

An amazing look for KU if he ends up the No. 1 Juco prospect. Would hopefully encourage other prospects to keep Kansas under consideration. I'm curious, and we'll most likely never know, what exactly coach said to put this kids mind at ease regarding the NCAA issues. Because if it worked on Tyon, it may work on others as well. Looking forward to seeing the kid in a Kansas jersey. Rock Chalk!

Joseph Bullock

Ashwin Rao, He is a Pre-Season Ju-Co All American, and look at the list of teams who he has offers from! WOW

Mallory Briggans

isiah todd will make his decision on the 17th Its between Kansas and Michigan ...he cut UNC and Kentucky last week so 2020 is shaping up nicely.

Steve Zimmerman

Wow.. I'm so excited! This is really an amazing recruit! I agree with other posters! He's so bouncy and has no-fear attitude. Nice shooting touch from downtown. Let's hope he will fit in coach BS' system.
Welcome to the Jayhawk family, Mr. Grant-Foster! Thank you for your early commitment!
p/s: thanks coach Howie!

Allin Herring

Mallory Isaiah Todd is projected at over 64% for Michigan so don't count your chickens before they are hatched. Wow we are really excited about a JUCO signing? This is the first signing for a KU basketball team that I can remember as the first recruit signed for a recruiting year. Is this the sign of the times coming?

Dirk Medema

What was his recruiting like 2 years ago? Interesting that he went from apparently nothing to potentially #1.

Allin - This might be a sign of the next couple years, sort of like last year. Like last year though, we still have a great staff, both on the court and off. We might not get the top recruits and top classes for a year or 2, but Coach will put together a great class and an even better program.

Mallory Briggans

Allin trust me i dont count on any recruit until they sign and the ink is dry ......e.g. Earl...Hurt ...Ayton ....just to name a few who were Kansas bound . ....and didnt come .

Drew Doerfler

could be a good role player? athleticism is great, but the game has gone to shooters.....37% from the field and 27% from 3 against juco competition doesn't exactly scream shooter.........hopefully he can work on his shot this year and put on some weight........beyond that....welcome to the jayhawk family! now put in the work.......

Jim Stauffer

This is my thought. What 4 star player averages 8 ppg. in Juco?
Having said that, I love the athleticism we have selected recently.
We can begin to defend some of the teams that made us look bad in last year's tourney.

Tony Bandle

If Grant-Foster makes it big, he'll make a fortune being the spokesman for Foster Grant sun glasses!! :)

Titus Canby

Darn. You beat me to it.