4-star center Mady Sissoko visiting KU this weekend

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Let the onslaught of fall visits officially begin.

This weekend, the Kansas men’s basketball program will host four-star Class of 2020 center Mady Sissoko for an official visit during the opening weekend of the college football season.

In years past, KU coach Bill Self often has talked about the importance of a quality football program and how having David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium full when visitors were in town could only help the Jayhawks’ recruiting efforts.

It remains to be seen just how full KU’s football venue will be when Indiana State comes to town for Saturday’s 11 a.m. season opener. But Sissoko’s plate will be full one way or the other.

“I’m really interested to see the player improvement at Kansas, the academics, the style of play and some other things,” the 6-foot-8, 225-pound big man told Shay Wildeboor of JayhawkSlant.com earlier this week. I just want to see and learn about as much as the Kansas program that I can during my visit.”

Sissoko currently attends Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah, the same program that produced current Kansas freshman Tristan Enaruna.

He told Wildeboor he was excited to catch up with his old friend and added that the pairing of seeing Enaruna at KU only made things sweeter.

“Kansas is a great program,” said Sissoko, who originally hails from Mali. “They send a lot of players to the NBA and I want to go somewhere that can help me get to the next level. When I got to the United States, Kansas was my top dream school, but that does not mean that I want to go to my dream school. I want to go somewhere that I can fit in the program and I want to go somewhere that wants me the most.”

Known by recruiting analysts as an elite shot blocker who can bully his way to baskets around the rim, Sissoko is ranked as the No. 48 overall prospect in the 2020 class by Rivals.com. That Top 50 slot is up 31 spots from his previous ranking and many consider Sissoko to be one of the fastest-rising prospects in the class.

In mid-July, after watching him at an Under Armour event in Georgia, David Sisk of Rivals site CatsIllustrated, which covers Kentucky, wrote the following about the big man’s defensive prowess: “Simply put, he is one of the most dynamic shot blockers I have seen.They are volleyball spikes. Nobody is safe, not in half court or on the fast break. He sent one to another court after an 80-foot sprint. He pinned another one with two hands against the backboard. He runs the entire game and does not take plays off.”

Although Sissoko has not yet formed a list of finalists, he is zeroing in on a handful of programs he either has visited or plans to visit in the near future.

In addition to his upcoming trip to KU, Sissoko told Wildeboor he already has visited BYU, Colorado, Michigan State and UCLA and plans to visit Memphis.

KU assistant Norm Roberts is the lead recruiter for Sissoko, who told CatsIllustrated that Kansas was recruiting him, “very hard.”

Comments

David Robinett

Bring it home Norm! (but don’t do “whatever it takes”) 😬

Eliott Reeder

LOL. That's a KT job, not Norm.

Barry Weiss

wow, sounds like a real stud!

Titus Canby

Do you folks think a "big man" can be dominant at 6' 8"? I'm not trying to disrespect him. Just interested in everyone's thoughts.

Eliott Reeder

Zion Williamson - 6' 7"

Brian Wilson

Your kidding.......right......how about Charles Barkley.

Titus Canby

Good points guys. Thanks.

Let's hope we have another Round Mound of Rebound. Leaning Tower of Pizza.

Dirk Medema

Titus - It would be interesting to see where his physical development is. It’s HS so some kids are right in the middle of their development while others are full grown at least from a height perspective.

I would also suggest that he could be 6-8 and dominant at the collegiate level, but not the NBA unless there’s a lot more to his game.

Titus Canby

Thanks Dirk. I could go for a David Robinson type player. As I recall, he grew 2 or 3 inches once he got to Navy.

Tony Bandle

Random Thoughts:

1] Well, looking at our competition for his services, I don't see Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky or Villanova on the list so I think we have a good chance.

2] It's one thing to block a shot and send it 100 feet away. It's an altogether different thing to block the shot but control it as a turn over. Bill Russel was the greatest I've ever seen at this.

3] Mady, make sure you check out a guy named David McCormack . He might be a little competition for you in 2020! Big Mac is about 2 inches taller and maybe 25 pounds heavier......and he's still growing also.

4] Hopefully the Kansas "African Connection" can pull through again.

Titus Canby

#2 - Jeff Withey was pretty darn good at that too. But thanks for the flashback to Bill Russell. "From long distance!" Anyone remember that commercial?

Dirk Medema

Tony - Don’t you think he could play alongside David? Hopefully that’s a rhetorical question in a few months of Dok and SDS.

Definitely agree with you on the control point though sometimes it can make a nice intimidation. That and if he has the ability then guessing Coach also has the ability to teach the control at least to some extent.

Martin Rosenblum

6-8 225 is a decent 3 man these days. 225 would have normally be a good starting point for an incoming new recruit under Hudy's program. A 6-10/11 225 post guy these days is much more useful with the trend of wings being taller and lankier. Yes, he has been a good shot blocker. But, with competition like the KU schedule presents, 6-8 is a challenge to be considered if his strength is fundamentally defense.