Is today the day for De Sousa or Preston news?

Newcomer Silvio DeSousa, left, sits next to teammate Billy Preston, who remains inactive, Friday, Dec. 29, 2017 at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas. by Nick Krug

While waiting oh so patiently — or the complete opposite — for news about freshmen forwards Silvio De Sousa and Billy Preston, Kansas basketball fans have been put through the wringer with a variety of potential timelines, key dates and big moments.

Today could be another one.

When asked Friday morning before practice if there was any news in the status of De Sousa and/or Preston, KU coach Bill Self said simply, "I think it's going to be a great Friday. TGIF. We've been waiting for Friday all week. Check with me at 5 o'clock. Who knows?"

What that means — or if it actually means anything — remains to be seen, but you can bet KUsports.com will be checking back at 5 p.m.

My gut feeling is that if Self's comments do, in fact, mean that there is news coming, it is highly likely that the news will be about one or the other but not necessarily both. If that read is right, the smart money is on the news — again, if it comes — being about De Sousa.

Now that we've passed into the afternoon portion of our day here in the Midwest, the 5 p.m. timeline is just a few hours away.

So stay in touch without KUsports.com throughout the day and certainly at 5 p.m. and after for any and all updates we can provide on this ongoing situation.

While you wait, be sure to take our latest quiz, which tests your knowledge about De Sousa and Preston and be eligible to enter to win a $25 VISA gift card.

Hey, at least the waiting could be worth something this time!

Comments

Pius Waldman

If at first you don't succeed try try again. I'm guessing that Self wouldn't make a statement unless he had information although I remember the Monday suggestion.
I'm a positive thinker so yes news will come.

Craig Carson

i hope you are right..KUis about to enter its tough part of the schedule..it woould be nice to have those 2 available

John Fitzgerald

Self has us on the hook. Let's hope this time a decision is made.

Joseph Bullock

But where are we in line, Daniel Parker? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha This is too dang funny! Don't make me smile when I'm pissed off! LMBO

Daniel Parker

Joseph...pretty sure we're somewhere around # 116

Len Shaffer

Classic!!!

Joe Ross

Post of the YEAR!

BOOM!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

Fingers crossed for both!

Doug Roberts

C'mon, Matt, we need a percentage wheel!

John Fitzgerald

I've said this before in Self's defense, but I think him saying "we'll hear something soon" or "we"ll know something Monday" or "I think it's going to be a great Friday" are more to put pressure on the NCAA than it is him having an answer or just saying things without meaning. If he said "we won't hear anything for a while" or "we won't hear anything for a few weeks" the NCAA could see that as an opportunity to put it on the back burner. Self's comments get all KU fans and really college basketball fans to put pressure on the NCAA as they're expecting an immediate decision.

Jay Hawkinson

I think you are exactly right. He is trying to replicate what happened during the Diallo case, when broadcasters like Bilas and Vitale really started going after the NCAA.

He might also be trying to keep hope alive for Billy and his family, so that they aren't tempted to cut bait and just have him work with a trainer full time. If they were going to do that, it would make sense to pull him before spring classes start.

Jeff Foster

You had me at "I think..." #rockchalk

Kent Gaylor

Matt –
I know this can’t work, but how about the following strategy.
For Preston: We have self – imposed suspension for 16 games. Now that he has served that, we declare his eligibility restored unless we hear something different from NCAAA.
For De Sousa, KU admission has found him qualified to be admitted. As a member of the NCAA and the more prestigious AAU that is good enough for KU Athletics. We declare him immediately eligible unless we hear something different from NCAAA.
Maybe give them an hour to respond.

Suzi Marshall

I've been on this line of thought for awhile now. I wish Self would do it. We can sue the NCAA if they try to take away any wins.

Craig Carson

imagine if Self and KU did do as you suggested and let Preston play..now imagine KU,with Preston playing, making the Final Four AND winning the title only to have the NCAA come out and say that they deem him ineligible and KU is forced to vacate every game he was in and take down all banners....hell would ensue in Lawrence and the NCAA members will need security guards for at least a few years LOL..as much as it sucks, its not fair for Self to endanger the teams season because of one kid...

DiscGolfer Jason

No worries about that scenario. Self has enough problems getting past the EE. We're good.

#RCJH

Beate Williams

The NCAA made a couple of significant decisions yesterday, so maybe today is the day for KU to hear something. Yesterday's decisions were relative to the investigation that has been underway, let's hope our news has nothing to do with that.

Bryson Stricker

#FreeMyManBilly

Barry Weiss

SOON

Brett Arnberger

Does anyone know what kind of car he was driving? Josh Selby was suspended for 9 games for accepting $5,787. That equates to $643 per game. Where Preston has missed 16 games, that equates to $10,288 based on the previous precedent. If he was driving a car under that value, let the man play!!

Bryson Stricker

Car was much above that value.

Jay Hawkinson

Yeah my guess is that KU is trying to argue that he wasn't given the car on a permanent basis, he was just borrowing it. So the impermissible benefit would be the value of leasing the car for a few months, not buying it. And it is taking a long time because the NCAA is dubious of that argument.

Barry Weiss

I've heard it was a Dodge Charger or something similar, maybe a couple years old, maybe around 20,000 dollar vehicle. Nothing too fancy.

Tony Bandle

You'd think for missing half a season it was a cherry DeLorean with a flux capacitor option!

Marty Sedlacek

Correct. Dodge Charger. Late model, but not brand new.

Dirk Medema

"Who knows" is the key to me and points to Coach Self's dry humor and sarcasm at dealing with the unending question that he doesn't have an answer for, which he would answer without being asked when he has one.

Hoping Bryson has good insider knowledge vs endless armchair speculation.

Bryson Stricker

I am very friends with Billy and his closest friends and have spent plenty of time with Billy. I was aware of the vehicle (not the situation) before the accident and he continues to drive said vehicle.

I do not ask the questions about what is going on because I know everybody else does and I prefer to be equals with these guys. I quite frankly have no idea what on earth actually happened on the backstory but just verbiage and actions make me think that Billy is 100% expected to get cleared and Billy himself expects to play and even more really wants to. (emphasized by his mother's statement about being able to pull him).

Yolanda Gay

It wasn't the car; but wasn't it the paperwork associated with the car. One trail lead to another to another.

If it was purchased above board, the paperwork would have been sufficient to show the car was legally purchased (or above board) and provided to Preston.

If Preston's mom was going to get Billy a car; why didn't she go through the compliance office to make sure everything was above board.

I'm just glad it was caught prior to Billy playing for KU. I would hate to think what would have happened if KU would have found out at the end of the season.

John Fitzgerald

You are right. How devastating would that have been for KU. All games vacated and if they broke the conference title streak, vacated. You just gave me a nightmare.

Tony Bandle

Just don't tell anybody....that's what Kentucky does!!

Rae Bricil

This is starting to remind me of the Trial by Kafka.

Danny Hernandez

what, an hour or less to go before we hear no news?

Richie Wilson

Bryson, do you know where the car came from? Seems like a simple question with a simple solution once answered.

Tony Bandle

The only thing simple in this life are the minds of the NCAA office.

Len Shaffer

"So stay in touch without KUsports.com throughout the day ..."

But how can I possibly stay in touch without KUsports.com? Or are you suggesting ESP?

Robert Brock

Was there a dead body in the trunk?

Tony Bandle

God, I hope there was nothing in the car that has caused all this commotion. How could there be? Billy voluntarily submitted the accident. I hate it when myself interrupts me.

Tony Bandle

Billy Preston will be the greatest Jayhawk to be on the roster for an entire season and never play a game. There, I've said it. Everything I have predicted has been wrong so let's hope my streak lasts one more prediction!! :}

Tony Bandle

Vegas just put the time of the announcement with an under of one minute after the end of KU at West Virginia!!

KD Krase

No. (The answer to the question)

Ryan Zimmerman

Tait Tweeted

BREAKING: Billy Preston and Silvio De Sousa have been cleared to play by the NCAA. Preston will be in uniform against Kansas State on Saturday, De Sousa possible to play against WVU Monday

Annnnnnd it's fake. Dammit!

Craig Carson

dont toy with our emotions lol

Ryan Zimmerman

dammit- fake account.... grrrrrrrr

Jon Lynch

Not cool, fake Twitter poster-person. So beat.

Andy Godwin

Matt, It is now 5:30 pm.

Andy Godwin

Matt, it is now 5:32. My guess is the offices at the NCAA are closed for the weekend. Is that how it works?

Andy Godwin

Matt, it is now 5:36. Are the NCAA closed on Monday also?

Brian Babcock

Monday is a Holiday so you can bet the NCAA will be closed.

Robert Brock

The NCAA guys have been at Happy Hour since 3:30.

Barry Weiss

well, looks like we all got fooled again, I see nuttin, nowhere.

Len Shaffer

Still waiting ... (tick, tick, tick ...)

Andy Tweedy

Why did I even visit the site? Just another big tease?

J.L. Forge

Maybe they are making us sweat the rest of the night and will give us the news with 17:41 to play in the first half and look.....it's De Sousa up off the bench heading for the scorers table! Booyah! RCJH! (One can dream can't he?!)

Craig Carson

that would be a great surprise..just imagine hearing in Saturdays game "checking in for Udoka Azibuike, #23 Billy Preston or #22 Silvio DeSousa...chills I tell ya, chills LOL =-[

J.L. Forge

No doubt, I'd be jumping thru the roof if that happened (and I suppose it could). AFH would blow the rafters off if that was the case!

Doug Roberts

So 5:00 Pacific time?!

Drew Doerfler

when they say we will know by 5 pm on friday.,..is it too much to ask to just post a quick article when they don't hear anything .... saying...guess what...we still don't know a %@#$ing thing! lol seriously, this is just utterly ridiculous

Matthew Ryan Brooksher

Tweeted by @mctait (Matt Tait)
"Back to your Friday nights, #KUbball fans.. Was just told no news tonight, hopefully Saturday morning, meaning De Sousa and/or Preston still could play tomorrow if cleared in the morning. Time will tell."

BOO.