Class of 2019 PG, one-time KU commitment Markese Jacobs reopens recruitment

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

According to a Friday afternoon report from 247 Sports recruiting analyst Evan Daniels, the lone player committed to Kansas in the Class of 2019 is now uncommitted.

Markese Jacobs, a Chicago senior ranked No. 92 in the class by Rivals.com, told Daniels that he was reopening his recruitment and still considering Kansas.

Jacobs, 5-foot-11, 170 pounds, committed to Kansas shortly after making an unofficial visit to Late Night two years ago and has remained committed to Kansas and a strong supporter of the Jayhawks via social media throughout the past 24 months.

"I'm open to see what I get and pretty much go from there," Jacobs told Daniels. "I just want to really make sure I'm in the best situation for myself. I want to find my best situations. The relationship with (KU assistant) Jerrance [Howard] was really tight, but my whole thing is I want to put myself in the best situation."

KUsports.com recruiting insider Matt Scott said Friday's news came as no surprise in recruiting circles.

"Not a big one," Scott said. "I think with the additions of Devon Dotson and Charlie Moore to the roster, Kansas appears to be pretty set at the point guard position and I think Markese wants to go somewhere that he can make an immediate impact. When he committed two years ago, no one knew what the Kansas roster would look like by the time Markese would arrive on campus."

As of 2:30 p.m. Friday, Jacobs' Twitter profile still included the words "Kansas commit" and "#RockChalk" but the explosive point guard from Chicago also ReTweeted Daniels' story about his plans to reopen his recruitment.

According to Daniels, Jacobs averaged 13.4 points and 2.3 assists in 16 Nike EYBL games with the Mac Irvin Fire this spring and summer.

Despite Jacobs' decision, the Jayhawks remain in the running for a couple of higher-ranked Class of 2019 point guards, including The Villages, Fla., senior Tre Mann (6-4, 170), who recently scheduled an official visit and in-home visit with Kansas, and No. 2-ranked player Cole Anthony (6-2, 180), who played for KU coach Bill Self on the U17 Team USA squad at the FIBA Americas event this summer.

As Scott noted, the Jayhawks also could elect to stay away from a point guard in the 2019 class, which features Top 10 forwards Jeremiah Robinson-Earl and Matthew Hurt at the top of KU's wish list and also includes shooting guards Samuell Williamson and Josh Green, among others.

One player worth mentioning who is flying under the radar a bit is 3-star point guard Isaac McBride. The 6-foot, 160-pound guard from Little Rock, Ark., has drawn comparisons to former KU guard Frank Mason III and also made a name for himself with a strong showing this summer in Las Vegas.

It remains to be seen just how big KU's 2019 class will be, but there is potential for Self and company to take as few as two or three players in the 2019 class or as many as five or six.

Comments

Ryan Zimmerman

oooookay...

4 weeks ago

Phil Leister

Is this more initiated by Bill and staff, rather than Markese? I'd have to think so.

4 weeks ago

Joey Freshwater

Yeah pretty much. He wasn't progressing all that much. Royce Woolridge type situation.

4 weeks ago

['']

Yep Phil I wouldn't be surprised if KU coaches maybe chomped him a bit about not putting out such great #s (maybe he slacked off cuz he had a scholly) - Howard or Self might have said "If you come here at your regressed level you are at now you will be riding pine"...maybe hoping he would de-commit and then we go after a higher ranked PG. Who knows?

4 weeks ago

Steven Haag

I think this kid sees current KU point guards, Moore, a sophomore, and Dotson, a Freshman and realizes that he may need to pick a “lesser” university in order to play and not set.

4 weeks ago

Michael Maris

"Despite potentially losing out on Jacobs, the Jayhawks remain strongly in the running for a couple of higher-ranked Class of 2019 point guards, including The Villages, Fla., senior Tre Mann (6-4, 170), who recently scheduled an official visit and in-home visit with Kansas, and No. 2-ranked player Cole Anthony (6-2, 180), who played for KU coach Bill Self on the U17 Team USA squad at the FIBA Americas event this summer.

Mann is ranked No. 30 in the Class of 2019 by Rivals.com, and both he and Anthony, the son of former UNLV and NBA star Greg Anthony, are notably bigger and longer than Jacobs."

I'd say this has a lot more to do with Jacobs situation (than anything). If Moore and Dotson are still at Kansas, and these two guys sign on the dotted line. Then, Markese didn't see his chances of supplanting anyone as being very strong. So, it appears that Markese does not have a Frank Mason Bulldog mentality.

4 weeks ago

Robert Brock

Jacobs just isn’t good enough to get PT. The Hawks will take a look at Tre Mann and whiff on the stud Cole Anthony - but their next real battle for a serious PG will be with R.J. Hampton, who will likely reclassify from 2020 to the 2019 class. It will be a tremendous battle but KU stands a good chance of landing him.

4 weeks ago

Jonathan Allison

This is one of the reasons why I come here. I haven't been following recruiting, so why are you so confident that we will whiff on Cole Anthony? Is he a tobacco road guy? In what range would RJ Hampton rank in the 2019 class if he were already listed amongst them? Top 10? 11-25?

3 weeks, 5 days ago

John Myers

I mean, if a kid doesn't think he's good enough to get the PT and doesn't have the stones to work and fight for it, I don't really want him here anyways.

4 weeks ago

Craig Carson

this to me is a big loss...yes KU is targeting other higher ranked players but neither Mason nor Graham were highly rated and they both had stellar careers at KU..what if KU whiffs on all their PG targets, loses Dotson after 1 season and Moore doesnt show enough..then what PG prospect do we turn to?..Id rather KU not load up on top 30 players since those are the kids who leave after a season

3 weeks, 5 days ago