KU target Romeo Langford says latest FBI news hasn't hurt Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting

Kansas University basketball recruiting

In the wake of the latest news in the FBI investigation into corruption in college basketball, this time involving a mention of players and parents associated with Kansas, there was some movement in the 247 Sports Crystal Ball prediction world regarding unsigned, five-star prospect Romeo Langford.

Langford, the top remaining available prospect in the 2018 recruiting class — ranked No. 5 overall by 247 Sports and No. 6 by Rivals.com — is closing in on making a decision between finalists Kansas, Indiana and Vanderbilt.

The New Albany, Ind., native, who has become a Hoosier State hero throughout his stellar high school career, revealed earlier this week that he would announce his decision during a ceremony at his high school on April 30.

While the news of KU's potential involvement in the federal investigation led some to switch their prediction from Kansas to Indiana this week, the recruit himself went on record as saying that the investigation was not weighing on his mind.

“They’re still in my top three,” Langford said of Kansas in a Thursday interview with USA Today's Hayes Gardner. “It doesn’t hurt them. It doesn’t make them any better — Well, I don’t know why it would make them better — but it doesn’t hurt them at all.”

Langford told Gardner that he had not been in contact with KU coach Bill Self since news of the indictment tying KU to the investigation was released Tuesday.

Langford, who is in Portland participating at the Nike Hoop Summit, with KU signees Quentin Grimes and David McCormack, among others, also told Gardner that he had not yet made a decision but reiterated that his choice would come from his final three.

As for the approaching end to what has been a wild couple of years on the recruiting trail, Langford said he never was bothered the attention from media members, adoring fans and recruiting analysts who constantly checked in with him about his recruitment during the past several months.

“It’s been enjoyable,” Langford told Gardner. “I feel like me and my family have handled it real well, so it hasn’t been too overwhelming at all.”

Comments

Reggie Flenory

this is interesting to say the least

Pius Waldman

Most so called experts predict he will stay home at Indiana. So I will predict he will do what Clyde Lovelette did 1948

Reggie Flenory

I think he goes to IU but i hope he pulls a andrew wiggins

['']

Considering IU coach Archie Miller is the brother of recruiting payout coach Sean Miller and was the top asst for him at one time -- Indy will be in the same boat in short order. So KU's investigation is understandably negligible in this recruit's mind because it pales in comparison to Miller's direct payouts to recruits.

Geoff Ermlap

sean miller contests these allegations as being false. We may hope he is right. I dont know of any conviction at this point so to say he's made direct payouts to recruits is premature.

Gary McCullough

However, the audio recording offering payment is pretty damning.

John Fitzgerald

It wasn't Sean Miller, it was Andy Miller who's an agent and the player wasn't Deandre Ayton.

Jonathan Allison

if true, then ESPN's reporting on it was entirely wrong.

Ryan Zimmerman

I don't understand why the date is still 2+ weeks away to announce. He's not doing any other visits, etc
I guess there's a case for him if he's still undecided but it just seems like it's dragging out. I know it's a big decision, but you'd think he'd have some idea of who he's leaning to by now. Maybe I'm just impatient:)

Matt Tait

You are. Ha! He's been doing the all-star circuit for almost a month and probably has not had much time to even be home or think about anything other than all of the obligations those things involve.

My guess is that he's waiting until those things are over because he really wants to sit down with his family and talk everything through one final time. You can't really do that when you're on the road and trying to juggle a million other things.

I don't think he's delaying to torture anyone. I just think he wants to have as much time as he needs to make the best decision and that's been tough to get with his season and the all-star events.

Hang in there!

Pius Waldman

If he waits until after the recruit signing ends he can sign an agreement that commits
the school but he can change before school starts if he desires. More than likely he has decided but waiting until the 30th to commit.

Gerry Butler

Sounds good but the recruiting period lasts through like May 16th

Gerry Butler

Oh Matt I wish I could put more in your words.- - I just don't buy it.- -Along with quite a few others.- -I think Romeo has for sure already made up hid mind. - - The hoop summit shouldn't be a distraction - -he is not playing because of a concussion from last weekend. -I think we were right there , we were right in the mix, pushing hard - -and then this Damm FBI thing, and thing is he said he hasn't talk to Coach Self since it had been revealed about the involvement. I think if I were coach Self I would be on that phone immediately and say look Romeo there is nothing that's coming down with us on this - we are going to be fine. - -But Silence? - -not a good look for Coach Self. His Daddy is so all wrapped up and Indiana wants Romeo to go there - and think Mom is set on him going there too. - I think if we have any thing to worry about or not with this FBI thing , I think it was JUST ENOUGH to push Romeo in the wrong direction for us. - whatever happens - -were gonna be fine. Not the 1st recruit we have lost, won't be the last - I just think he knows - but daddy likes the media another reasoning they dragging this out.

Layne Pierce

Fact is:
Ku is so far only listed as a victim of the alleged crime, and not a perpetrator.
Who knows what the future may bring, but for now, there should be no punishment looming.

RCJH

Craig Carson

at this point, I dont even care if he comes to KU..Im too concerned about this FBI situation and KU being able to keep its FF to care if another HS phenom commits

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

I agree that I don't think a punishment is looming for KU. IF one is ever issued it will likely be a couple years down the road and be a forfeit of the games from 2017/2018 that Silvio participated in (which I also think is unlikely).
This whole FBI situation will probably take many months or years to fully play out and then a good amount of time for the NCAA to react to the investigations (if they do at all).
The big question for me is if this is ongoing into next season (likely), will KU allow Silvio to play?

Craig Carson

I agree...I dont see any sever punishment coming for KU..maybe loss of scholarships and Silvio being suspended

Tony Bandle

That's not severe??

Jonathan Allison

Bill Self can coach this team to final fours with a 7 man rotation, and never gives regular minutes to more than 8 guys anyway. What do we need 13 scholarships for? *tongue in cheek*

Daniel Kennamore

At first glance I thought the same thing, but after looking at previous cases I think the FF banner and the conference streak are done for.

This situation is extremely similar to the UMASS case that cost a young Calipari his first FF.

Dillon Davis

I mean what's he supposed to say in this situation? Jerry Meyer over at 247 told Matt Galloway of the Topeka Capital-Journal that it's a done deal. He's going to Indiana.

Barry Weiss

I do lean towards him going to Indiana too. The fact that he's making this announcement at his High School, jam packed with all these Indiana people, it would probably cause a riot if he announces KU. Certainly hope I am wrong.

Harlan Hobbs

Gary, your comment regarding Sean Miller is appropriate if there is indeed such a recording. However, as I have said in other posts, he of course denies the charges, and now Yahoo and other news outlets have been presenting the case that he has perhaps "weathered the storm." Time will tell.

It really should be quite simple. Is there a recording or not! If so, those facts will eventually come out. However, if not, who does he sue to get his reputation back?

The bottom line is that he was immediately convicted by many when the news came out because after all, why would ESPN report that a recording existed if it didn't? Well, why does the media report numerous stories that later are proven to be false? Does it have something to do with ratings, and the media's desire to remain relevant?

We all tend to stick up for our favorite team. That is fine and proper loyalty until and when facts point to other conclusions. This rush to judgment on both sides is not a hallmark of what makes this country so great.

The only possible winner in stories like this is really the media. Their ratings go up, but in those cases where they are subsequently proven wrong, they are not held accountable. I am not picking on anyone particular, but we all have eyes, ears, and a brain that are hopefully capable of filtering out the "noise", at best, or rank "propaganda" at worst.

Tony Bandle

It's always been Indiana. He will get home state homage, 40 minutes a game PT if he wants and the go ahead to fire the ball up at will. He will get good exposure in the Big 10, his family will be able to see him play and he'll never have to pay for a drink or lunch in Indiana for the rest of his life.

It's OK......we have a great class and we'll be fine.

John Fitzgerald

I'm sure the FBI report didn't hurt but it sure didn't help. Langford is locked in on Indiana with or without the report though.

Ryan Zimmerman

Was optimistic once Newman left, but can't say I feel remotely the same now. IU all the way... He couldn't run the show here without fighting for it and not just being given the keys to the Cadillac (a la Trae Young). Not that I blame him, but he's thinking of the NBA and how to get the most PT without having anyone to threaten that.

Jason Venable

KU doesn't need him. Grimes not be ranked overall as high as Langford BUT KU does have the #2 SG. Pretty sure everything will be okay.