Kansas four games out of second-last place in FBS standings for past three seasons

Baylor wide receiver Denzel Mims (15) catches a pass before Kansas cornerback Hasan Defense (13) during the second quarter on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2017 at Memorial Stadium. by Nick Krug

Charlotte upgraded its football program from FCS to FBS at the start of the 2015 football season. As expected, it hasn't been an easy baptism for the 49ers, who went 1-11 this season for a three-year record of 7-29.

Even so, that doesn't place Charlotte last among the 128 schools that have been in the FBS division since 2015. That dubious honor belongs to Kansas (3-33).

A look at the 25 FBS schools with the worst records in the past three seasons:

16 (tie) - Virginia 12-24, .333 6-6
21 (tie) - E. Mich. 13-24, .351 5-7
21 (tie) - Maryland 13-24, .351 4-8
23 (tie) - Buffalo 13-23, .361 6-6
23 (tie) - Iowa State 13-23, .361 7-5
25 - Miami (Ohio) 14-23, .378 5-7

Comments

Adam Engelbrecht

Good stuff.

Andy Godwin

You continue to beat a dead horse. The first three years of the Beaty era have been a bust in regards to wins versus loses. However, there is clearly a cultural change for the better in regards to the integrity of the student-athletes who represent the football program. Unless KU has a turn-around season like Iowa State, which is unlikely, KU football will remain the worst "among the 128 schools that have been in the FBS division since 2015." At least you can recycle your 2017 KU football articles in 2018.

John Fitzgerald

Hmm... culture change... do have any actual stats that show Beaty has made progress from year 1 to year 3? I’ve attached a stat chart for your reference.

Bryson Stricker

Yo John did you get your education from the same institution I did? Because last time I checked. Year 1 and Year 3 have quite a positive differential except for a slight few statistical categories.

Also keep in mind he had a little bit of senior leadership those years and experience > talent. Anyone will tell you that.

The real question lies at where David Beaty's first (you can hardly even count it as his first recruiting class but still) will lie in regards to those statistics. There will be a lot of pressure to see positive results next year and I really do hope we see them. We have a good amount of the tools we need in terms of talent, hope the coaches do their part.

Also your chart fails to mention that the big 12 has improved DRASTICALLY between last year and this year in terms of offense and defense production. You would see the exact same results for every other school.

Have a wonderful day! Sorry that none of your football teams are winning right now :/. #TrustTheProcess

Best,
Bryson Stricker

John Fitzgerald

I can’t even put stats in front of this guy ... I have nothing left for you, Bryson. You’re on your own.

Mike Hart

No, he's not on his own. The minority? Yes... but I'm with him.

David Kemp

Let’s look at ppg for 15, 16, 17. Less fcs. 15 offense 145 defense 511 - 16 offense 188 defense 442. - 17 offense.186.defense.501. So pretty clearly we have made little to no progress in points for and against

3 weeks ago

Actually Bryson. Ask Bill Self. In response to 'one and dones' he has said he would take better players over experience. In Bill We Trust.
Also, we could have all 5 year seniors from Lawrence High and Free State (almost similar to now) and they could hardly be any worse than what we've got on the field now.
experience < talent.
Keep it up, TK! This incompetence cannot stand.
rcjh!

Mike Hart

Oh... so if the better players that we can actually get... are on the Juco market.. then we should take the better players over the high school recruit. Funny... I see poster after poster ripping the idea of getting jucos. This sounds like: Let's look at every aspect of this coaching staff.. and give as negative an assessment as possible so that we can justify firing our coach. When in doubt... assume the worst. A new coach... anyone.. would be better. We said that when we fired Gill... we said that when we fired Weiss. And here we are now... same thing in calling for Beaty's head. "Any change is better than what we've got"... Hire/fire... 3 year tradition.

Joe Black

I'm not backing the decision to keep Beaty but football stats are not the response to Andy Godwin's argument that "clearly a cultural change for the better in regards to the integrity of the student-athletes" has occurred. If you have some stats stating that just as many or more incidents have happened involving the football team, then you could present that as your rebuttal to his claim. Other than that, you just have to realize that having student-athletes with high integrity who represent the program positively is more important to Andy than winning games. And he has the right to feel that way. Doesn't mean you have to agree with him but it doesn't change his argument.

Mike Hart

Uh.. once again, John. He said "cultural change" regarding the integrity of the student-athlete. Clean program...staying out of trouble off the field. This isn't a game statistic, so your counter to his statement is not a direct response to his point.

John Fitzgerald

The next to last team, which as Tom points out is brand new to the FBS, has more than doubled our wins in the last three years. Also, I’m curious since they were new to the FBS did they only start off at 65 scholarships once they joined? If I remember right that’s all that is allowed in FCS.

Curt Wright

FCS schools are allowed to split scholarships in football, therefore most FCS schools will have 95 to 100 kids on scholarship. Most likely would have had to reduce the number of kids getting financial help, but all would have been full scholarships.

John Fitzgerald

Geez... I was way off.

Mike Barnhart

Keeg's chart is a bit too simple. Almost none of the other bottom feeders play nine or ten games against power five programs every year. Just another reason why the KU HC job is almost impossible!

Cary Ediger

Pretty colors.

Whitney Tangeman

Anyone who criticizes Keegan for his articles should self reflect before doing so. There is nothing opinionated about this particular piece. This is factual data and is the hard truth for those *still* unwilling to accept it. When we can all agree on these above truths, we can begin a more productive discussion from that point forward. Same goes for discussions outside of KU football as well.

Brian Skelly

+1 and many more. There's no where to hide with these numbers.

John Fitzgerald

You nailed it Whitney. Sadly the ones still supporting him are only doing so for personal reasons, they don’t care about the stats. And you can tell by their senseless attacks on Tom.

Derek King

Here are Charlotte's 7 wins over that period of time:
UAB (2017), Elon, Florida Atlantic, Marshall and Southern Miss (2016), Georgia State and Presbyterian (2015)

I'd say even coach Beaty could have picked up 5-6 wins against that group.

Sam Walters

So. . . still less than Charlotte then? Not sure that's a compelling pro-Beaty argument.

Dirk Medema

Comparing records when the competition is grossly dissimilar is ignorant and evident at the other end of the spectrum. One of the FL schools was undefeated the last time I checked and wasn't even ranked in the top 10 much less serious discussion for the CFP. Why? Because they don't play the same level of competition.

If you really want to compare teams using stats you'll need to get something more advanced than simple game stats if the competition isn't comparable.

Not sure which stat measures culture.

3 weeks ago

same level of competition... like CMU and Ohio? 0-2.
the truth hurts.
rcjh!

Jeff Coffman

0-6 against non-power 5 conferences...still is bad.

Joe Black

Tom,
Re-title the article. That title is clumsy at best.
I'm not giving you any suggestion as to how to reword it because I'm sure you can figure it out. After all you are a writer aren't you? No malice intended.

Bryson Stricker

I think people being so much more upset shows the impact that Beaty has had.

As a student fan when Charlie Weis was our HC. I never expected us to win games. Never was hopeful for the future and wasn't too excited to wake up on saturday's.

In the David Beaty era. I genuinely believe every saturday there's some slimmer of hope we may win a damn game. I believe that we are trending upwards in a lot of areas.

Losing sucks, I'm well aware and as a fan base that doesn't experience losing often in another major sport. Losing in football sucks even more. But I assure you, as someone who more recently than most of you was a high school recruited athlete. Posting what some of you post, is not going to help rebuild the program at all. I assure you Devonta Jason, Corione Harris and company read these articles and they don't help our cause. That being said, I heard they plan on committing to Kansas on December 20.

When they do, John Fitzgerald, I saw an interesting post on twitter where you said you would do 1000 pushups in a day. I think that will be a great way to kickoff the 2018 KU Football expenditure..

Best,
Bryson Stricker

John Fitzgerald

Two recruits won’t change next year I can promise you that. I don’t care how good they are. Also, I have a hard time believing you even graduated high school with your horrible grammar.

Jeff Coffman

I expected to win the game against the DI team in Year 1, after that there has been three games that I thought we should win under Beaty.

1) DII team in Year 2, we won, and as I watched the rest of the games, I thought we should win against Iowa State we lost. We could have won that game, but Beaty and staff made a lot of mistakes in that coaching job.

2) DII team in Year 3, which we won, but I thought it was way too close.

3) First MAC game in Year 3, we lost bad, and never thought under Coach Beaty we will win again.

Just as a note, I don't expect any wins next year in 2018 under Beaty, Nicholls will beat us and it will get worse.

Kevin Robert Fest

I'm not listening to a word Beaty says this year. Last year he talked up all of the recruits, how the o line was improved, how they were getting stronger in the new weight program, the bowl was a bowl team, then the season started and it was a total S show. I will just wait for next season to start.

Im hopeful if they can get the LA recruits maybe get a win or 2 but if they are trying double reverses by the 2nd game lm out. If it wasn't for the LA connection l wouldn't have a shred of interest anymore.

David Kemp

That connection is hanging by a thread. Without them we have nothing recruit wise except another last place finish

Kevin Robert Fest

Beaty makes Wies look like Saban.

Jeff Coffman

No Weis, actually had coached talent, but can't develop talent. Basically he can't take raw talent and make it good. He recruited some raw talent at ND and KU, but was unable to convert that.

Beaty can't recruit, can't develop, can't coach, and can't select coordinators, can't decide how to recruit, etc.

Weis might not be good, but Beaty is not better than Weis.

Robert Brock

Zenger is quickly improving KU’s football fortunes. Anybody notice?

Kevin Robert Fest

Sadly with this coaching staff we may finish last WITH them.

Bryson Stricker

OH MY GOD DAVID BEATY OFFERED A JUCO LEFT TACKLE. FIRE HIM. HE'S ONLY RECRUITING JUCOS!!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!

Al Martin

Considering that our offensive line has been horrible for eight consecutive years, and that of all positions, offensive line is the one that benefits the most from players having multiple years in the system, offering a juco left tackle is, in fact, pretty dumb.

Jerry Ryan

I’m supporting KUFB - staff & team - because I’m a Jayhawk and that’s what we should do. No question things haven’t gone as well as we thought this year but I believe many things contributed to it. The monstrous hole left behind after CW was relieved of duties not to mention the cultural shift required will take time. Giving another year of time to HCDB is likely the best decision at this time considering the deficit of scholly players, newness of Chancellor Girod in position, and the fundraising effort for renovations. IMO this is likely first administration in a generation to actually care about football. The Chancellor has already met with the KU FB team. I’m not even sure BGL knew we had a football team let alone met with any team KU fields. Whether or not Coach Beaty ultimately succeeds in his mission is difficult to predict, but I believe giving more time is the right decision given the many circumstances involved. With a full stable of scholly players, visible improvements in facilities and time to plan for any potential changes in coaching and AD will create a situation to attract a well qualified coach who wants to be in Lawrence. I’m renewing my season tix and will support as best I can from 8 hrs away, hoe for the best, and keep my negative comments to a minimum. RCJH.

Kevin Robert Fest

God Bless You Jerry you are doing the Lord's Work. The rest of us will complain.

John Brazelton

Tom, you can huff and you can puff, but Beaty is still making 1.6 million this year and Zenger is making $700,000 and you're making $50K and all the free food that you can wolf down during game time. You're still a loser working at a small-town newspaper and you'll still be a loser next year as well.

Jeff Coffman

hopefully he prevents Beaty from making $1.7mm next year, we all know he won't get any bonuses.

Kevin Robert Fest

Why to go John you don't agree with the article so you resort to personal attacks on the author. Very mature. Ok everyone John is upset. Lets all agree with only what he thinks.

Kevin Randell

It's kind of funny. I live smack dab in Sooner and Cowboy country. When I walked into work this morning my co-workers simply asked me, "What the hell are you all thinking?". With coaches like Miles, Graham, and Sumlin available, you choose to stick with a 3-33 coach?!!! I chuckled and let them read the comments from previous articles from this past weekend. They looked at me, gave me a hug, and said "Yep......you truly are a basketball school, because it's obvious the AD doesn't know S&*@ about football". And before you all speak, keep in mind these are friends who have been fans of OU and OSU for a very long time. They were there through the Gibs, Blake, and Schnellenburger era for OU and the well.......you know OSU's history...lol. Bottom line is there is no excuse for futility. So, since we are making the decision to stink one more year. I say this, all season ticket holders who have held tickets for at least 6 of the 9 years pay only $50 for their 2018 tickets. I mean you better do something to get the cheeks in the seats.

Jack Hoff

The season is over, why keep beating a dead horse? How about we get an update on the current scholarship numbers, recruiting class breakdown, stadium renovation progress, etc. There are so many things to talk about and Beaty is coming back whether you like it or not. It serves no purpose to keep kicking a coaching staff that is working their tails off to bring this university some semblance of sustainable success. Obviously the wins aren't there right now but we don't have to rewrite the same article every day to rile up the fans. We aren't tennessee and Beaty isn't going anywhere.

Mike Barnhart

So right! A good KU football fan will burry his anger, eat his sadness, cross his fingers and pray for better times. He'll donate to the Williams Fund, buy his season tickets early, tailgate for the opener and stay 'til the final whistle of every blowout loss.

Sorry, I'm not that guy. I'll keep criticizing mismanagement of my program until they get it right.

Mike Hart

I look forward to John Fitzgerald honoring his commitment to doing 1000 pushups if the two LA recruits (Devonta Jason, Corione Harris)... follow through and come to Kansas. I fully realize this may take him a month...