Early NBA mock drafts have Josh Jackson going anywhere from third to fifth

Minnesota Timberwolves' Andrew Wiggins, left, and Josh Jackson of Kansas respond to questions during an interview before the NBA basketball draft lottery Tuesday, May 16, 2017, in New York. (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II)

Before taking a look at where the hot-take NBA mock drafts have Josh Jackson going, consider a brilliant idea proferred by Andrew Perloff in a video on SI.com.

The NBA’s integrity took a huge hit with teams tanking left and right to improve their chances of moving up the lottery ranks. Such maneuvers make a mockery of the game and cheat fans who pay money to see teams compete, not to be used as pawns in a dastardly scheme.

Perloff suggests that the lottery expand from 14 to 20 with the bottom three playoff teams in each conference getting ping pong balls. Each of the 20 teams has an equal chance, which completely takes away the incentive to throw games.

“That way everyone is gunning for the postseason,” Perloff said. “You’re going to see no mid-level tanking at all.”

Flawless idea.

Now onto the mock drafts:

Draftexpress.com and NBAdraft.net have Jackson going third to the 76ers, behind Washington point guard Markelle Fultz (Celtics) and UCLA point guard Lonzo Ball (Lakers).

SI.com has Jackson going fourth to the Phoenix Suns, behind Fultz, Ball and Duke's Jayson Tatum.

ESPN.com’s Chad Ford also has Jackson going fourth to the Suns, behind Fultz, Ball and Kentucky shooting guard Malik Monk.

“He’s a versatile two-way wing who is great in the open court, can lock down three positions and plays with an intensity reminiscent of Kevin Durant,” Ford wrote. “His jump shot is shaky, but the Suns have plenty of shooters.”

Reid Forgrave of CBSsports.com has Jackson going fifth to the Sacramento Kings, behind surprise No. 1 Jayson Tatum of Duke, Ball, Fultz and Kentucky point guard De'Aaron Fox.

Three Jayhawks at lottery

A case easily could be made that Jackson has the least natural ability of the three Jayhawks at the NBA lottery, ranking behind Joel Embiid and Andrew Wiggins, but if I had to guess which player will have the most productive NBA career, my guess would be Embiid if healthy, Jackson if injuries prevent Embiid from having a long career.

The photo of Wiggins and Jackson together offered an interesting contrast in styles. Wiggins wore a flashy suit that called attention to himself. Jackson was dressed like a man ready to get down to the serious business of winning. Wiggins will score more points in the NBA, but Jackson will do all the things necessary to play winning basketball.

If I were the general manager of whichever team drafts Jackson and the Minnesota Timberwolves called offering Wiggins in exchange for him, I would instantly respond with four words: "No thanks. Anything else?"

Comments

Brock Wells

He's going 1st or 2nd but would love to see him team up with JoJo!

3 months ago

Joe Joseph

I get the hype around Lonzo Ball and will trust that Markelle Fultz is worthy of the top pick. (I didn't get the chance to watch him play much.) But I refuse to believe anyone else in the draft is worthy of a higher pick than Josh Jackson. Jayson Tatum? De'Aaron Fox? Please.

Jackson is a consistent jumper away from becoming a perennial all-star in the league. And that will develop within 2-3 years.

It's mind blowing to think he could be drafted any later than 3rd.

3 months ago

Brian Steward

The people that put these lists together have many things to consider and one of those is team fit. Jackson doesn't really fit in with what they have going in Philly; they already have a "do-it-all" wing player in Ben Simmons along with a rising star in Dario Saric and obviously the emergence of JoJo. Malik Monk would be the best fit for Philly. The Suns on the other hand finished with one of the worst defenses in the league, have a young player to build around in Devin Booker and could really, really use someone like Josh. That would be the main reason he would slip out of the top 3. It would be a mistake for the Suns to take Tatum as they desperately need help where Jackson brings it.

2 months, 2 weeks ago

Henry Joseph Hofmeister

I seriously hope Josh goes to philly. That would be a title contender in the making.

I don't see how Fultz can be so highly rated as point if he's unproven leading a team anywhere close to a winning season. The celtics don't need him and could shake everything up.
Ball hopefully does go to the lakers. Although it would be interesting to see how low he drops if they don't take him they do need one another.

3 months ago

Suzi Marshall

Every NBA team needs a play with the competitive fire Jackson brings. Personally, I'd love to see him team up with Embiid in Philly. Wiggins, as we saw during the Stanford game and lack of defensive interest in the NBA, doesn't seem to have much of a competitive spirit, like Jackson.

3 months ago

Jonathan Allison

Jackson's suit looks like he took a tip from Bill Self.

I hope that he goes #3. Philly would be really interesting to watch with Embiid, Jackson, and Ben Simmons. Put a PG a shooter on the floor with those three and you've got a playoff team. If those three are healthy and they don't make the playoffs then it probably should be "bye bye" to Brett Brown.

3 months ago

Tom Keegan

My guess would be he took a tip from his mom, Apples Jones. Sharp woman.

3 months ago

John Fitzgerald

I hope the Lakers pick Jackson just to watch the Ball(less) family throw a fit.

3 months ago

Creg Bohrer

That would be poetic justice.

3 months ago

Glen Miller

With Jackson and Embiid in Philly, they would have the start of a lethal defensive team that can rebound like mad. They also have Simmons so rebounding and shot blocking would be second to none. Don't really have a point guard to run the show though. If I were picking first, I'd take JJ....... I know that's a homer comment, but Fultz couldn't even get his team into the tournament or even top half of a weak PAC 12. Ball to me is going to be a classic case of my head is too big for my body and will constantly have off the court issues in my estimation. Outside of those two, I just don't see anyone who is better or even really "could be" better.

3 months ago

Dale Stringer

Wouldn't be nice to see Philly take JJ in the first round and then Frank in the second round.

3 months ago

John Fitzgerald

Philly does need a PG and Mason would work nicely with Embiid and Jackson since he's played with both.

3 months ago