Notebook: Why Les Miles is sticking with Carter Stanley at QB

Kansas quarterback Carter Stanley fakes a handoff during football practice on Wednesday, March 6, 2019 within the new indoor practice facility.

Les Miles wanted to rewatch his Kansas football team’s 12-7 loss to Coastal Carolina before doing anything drastic like saying he might need to make a change at quarterback.

By Monday morning, when Miles spoke to the media for the first time since Carter Stanley threw two interceptions and only passed for 107 yards on Saturday, the head coach had decided no such change was necessary.

Miles said he’ll continue to stick with Stanley as the Jayhawks’ No. 1 QB, as they head into their nonconference finale at Boston College.

Upon reviewing the footage of Stanley’s performance (13-for-19 passing versus CCU, with no touchdowns), Miles said the QB was “guilty of trying to make plays.”

“And it's the right thing, and it's absolutely the wrong thing,” Miles said of Stanley at times forcing throws when better alternatives were available.

“In this instance he made a couple mistakes. I think he's a guy that's accountable,” Miles continued. “I think he'll step in and with opportunity play well. I'm not going to make a change at this time.”

A fifth-year senior from Vero Beach, Fla., who has witnessed plenty of QB changes over the previous four seasons, Stanley said it meant “a lot” to him that Miles didn’t go another direction after the QB’s unproductive week.

“That’s comforting for sure,” Stanley said. “I certainly feel like I’m still the starting quarterback for this team. I feel like the guys still support me 100%.”

Through two games, Stanley ranks 76th nationally in passing efficiency rating (135.07) and 71st in yards per pass attempt (7.3), with two touchdown throws and two interceptions.

There are some specific areas, Miles said, where the coach would like to see the QB improve.

“You know, he can extend things with his feet and really should have done that a little bit more,” Miles said. “He could have gone and got a couple first downs, and those are things that he's very comfortable doing. It's just awareness.”

Nonconference finale on ACC Network

As announced earlier this year, KU’s Friday game at Boston College (2-0) will air at 6:30 p.m. on a channel that launched this year, the ACC Network.

According to the ACC Network’s website, the channel is available in Lawrence to viewers who use one of the following services: DirecTV, Dish, Hulu, PlayStation Vue, Sling, Spectrum, Suddenlink and YouTube TV. Per the ACC Network’s list, Spectrum customers should know the availability of the channel varies by market and subscribers should visit Spectrum’s website or call customer service for more information.

The game will not be available on ESPN+.

Kickoff set for league opener

The Big 12 announced Monday the kickoff time for KU’s conference opener. The Jayhawks will host West Virginia at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 21.

Just like KU’s game against Coastal Carolina, the game against WVU will be available exclusively through ESPN’s subscription-based video streaming service, ESPN+.

This and that…

• Kansas senior tight end James Sosinski set career highs in catches (three), yards (36) and longest reception (20 yards) against CCU.

• Senior linebacker Najee Stevens-McKenzie had his most productive game in a KU uniform to date, with a career-high three tackles and two tackles for loss.

• Junior KU linebacker Dru Prox set a career high with 11 tackles versus CCU. He has led KU in tackles each week so far, and currently he is tied for fourth in the Big 12 in tackles per game, averaging 10.0.

Comments

Brett McCabe

Surprising and refreshing at the same time - I guess. At this point, all I can do is watch and see how it all turns out this year. We are headed to Boston to watch the BC game - it will be our first away game in many years. I’m interested to see how other teams do it, how other schools run their game days and to see how this team competes on the road against a solid ACC team.

1 week, 4 days ago

Andy Tweedy

This article is about Carter Stanley, but it mentions the worst thing about being a fan of a bad football program. We're hard to find on the tv, esp if you live 200+ miles from Lawrence and out of state!!! I have ESPN+ but I don't have FSMW or whatever network the first game was on, and I sure don't have the ACC Network. Will be nice not to suck again so we can watch the games every week.

1 week, 4 days ago

Dale Rogers

Andy, check with your cable company, if you use cable. I live 1500 miles from Lawrence. We have the ACC Network and SEC Network on Cox's Sports and Information Package ($10/month here). Hopefully you will be able to watch the game.

Buck Bukaty

Anyone and everyone with the conference and the member schools who participated in the negotiations and agreements to the current TV contracts should be fired immediately!

ESPN+ should be rebranded as ESPN--(Minus) as it does nothing but take away from the viewership experience. I watched the last game with it and it was no better than ESPN3. Freeze frames throughout, and the screen went frozen white with about 6 minutes to go. The game was over before I could reboot it. And now no local TV without jumping through impossible hoops for the BC game, and the West Virginia game is going to be on ESPN-Minus. Why bother!

1 week, 4 days ago

Dale Rogers

Buck could the problem be with your wifi provider (I assume you have adequate speed for viewing video)? We watched it on espn+ streamed to our tv. There was one two-second hiccup during the pregame show. Otherwise the video was flawless, other than I would really like to see the scrimmage and 10-yard lines that they didn't bother to show this time. I can't see the chains from here.

Brian Wilson

Refreshing. I pointed out earlier this week that Carter was being forgetful during the game. When you play a sport of plays you have to take time before each opportunity to know where you are and then use that on every single play no exception. Carter was taking hikes and forgetting where the first down marker was at. Refreshingly, they come out and admit it. <br><br>

Easy to improve on paying more attention to game position and situation.<br>
Easy to improve on game communication. <br>
Especially if it costs you all your timeouts in the second half.<br>
Easy to improve play calling and have better balance between run and pass. <br>
Harder to improve on OL performance. <br>
The OL has to become more aggressive and get more push.<br>
The OL has to sustain it blocks another couple of seconds.<br>
<br>
I can't wait to see how we do against BC. I hope we are ticked and dangerous. RCJHKU.

1 week, 4 days ago

Len Shaffer

Well, none of these things have been easy under the last few coaches, but hopefully that will be different this time. I still have faith in Miles, but I have to say that that timeout sequence (not to mention a number of other issues) was WAY too reminiscent of Beaty and his ilk.

But Miles has done it before so there's no reason he can't do it at KU.

I'll be in Boston for the game, so I hope to hell they have a better showing than they did against CC.

Dane Pratt

I trust his judgement but it's a bit disappointing that no one on the roster is impressive enough in practice to replace a QB who is not getting it done. At least the coach is not panicking.

Dane Pratt

This is kind of painful but Ryan Willis has thrown for over 600 yards with 6 TD's in his first two games with Virginia Tech. But unless he had taken a redshirt while still a Jayhawk he would not be eligible to play this year. Still.....

Dale Rogers

Ryan Willis did well last season at VT, too. And Montell Cozart did well at Boise State, all relative to their performance at Kansas.

Barry Weiss

We need to win this game. Period.

David Friend

You can watch the game on the ESPN app (not ESPN plus) as long as you have a subscription to a cable or satellite provider

Bee Bee

I thought MacVittie could play. Apparently not.

Jeff Coffman

I really want a QB...I know Carter has shown signs of promise and then next week he'll have signs of unpromise. Without a QB in the Big XII it is a long season.

This was a disappointing game, and the fact that we marched down the field early and then after that we were unable to accomplish much is just a little more disappointing.

I'm hoping for a road win.

Dirk Medema

Unfortunately for Ryan, he also has 3 INTs and a fumble resulting in a loss- similar to when he lost the job here. His 600yds are on 60% of 75 attempts vs 69% on 48 attempts.

Dane Pratt

I'll take it. Virginia Tech's season with Willis at QB looks much more promising than ours.

1 week, 2 days ago

Dirk Medema

Montell was also a situations sub at BSU which is no comparison to trying to lead the offense here.

1 week, 3 days ago

dirk- we opened as 17pt 'dogs & line is now 21.5...think we can cover that? u were Wrong about how fcs relates to fbs, id venture to wager ur Wrong again if u think we can! 😬🤷‍♂️🤑 #rcjh

Dane Pratt

Based on our performance thus far I will be happy if we can beat the spread. A 21 point or less loss right now doesn't sound too bad against a legit D1 team on the road.

1 week, 2 days ago

Brett McCabe

Willis was named player of the game last week, throwing two touchdowns and running for a third. Cozart was highly effective for BSU the entire season. Both were chased away by Butt Brain Beaty. Neither are all-stars but both were good enough to contribute mightily at other schools.

1 week, 2 days ago