Josh Jackson arrested at music festival, charged with resisting arrest and escape

Phoenix Suns forward Josh Jackson (20) in the first half of an NBA basketball game Friday, Jan. 25, 2019, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Authorities say Phoenix Suns forward Josh Jackson was arrested after refusing to leave a VIP area at a South Florida hip-hop festival this past weekend.

A Miami-Dade police report stated Jackson, once a basketball player at the University of Kansas, was arrested Friday night and charged with resisting arrest and escape at the Rolling Loud Festival, which was held Friday through Sunday at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Fla.

An officer said Jackson was told to leave a VIP area because he didn’t have a pass. The report said Jackson left, returned and then refused to leave, prompting the officer to handcuff Jackson and remove him from the area.

According to the report, Jackson was told to sit on a golf cart but ran away when the officer wasn’t looking. Jackson was located a short time later and taken to jail.

Jackson was released Saturday on $1,000 bail. His next hearing in June 10.

Shortly following his one season playing at KU (2016-17), Jackson was convicted in Lawrence Municipal Court of hitting an unattended vehicle.

And in a separate criminal damage case he signed a diversion agreement regarding a misdemeanor criminal damage to property case filed against him. Jackson was accused of arguing with then KU women’s basketball player McKenzie Calvert outside a Lawrence bar in Dec., 2016. During that argument he reportedly hit and kicked Calvert’s car.

The Suns drafted Jackson fourth overall in 2017. This past year, during his second season in the NBA, Jackson averaged 11.5 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.3 assists while playing 25.2 minutes per game for Phoenix.

Comments

Gary Amble

Ran away? Let's see, "They'll never spot a 6'8" guy wearing handcuffs ...I'll just blend right in"

Eric TheCapn

I have a handcuff key on my key chain. Thankfully, I have yet to be stupid enough or oppressed enough to have to use it, which would probably just lead to further trouble. But it's nice to know it's there....

Len Shaffer

Nice to see he's matured since his time at KU ...

Kevin Woods

Maybe he thought playing for the Suns was like being in witness protection?

Mark Wooden

Good to see his 3 months of actual academics taught him right.

Jonathan Allison

kicked out of the VIP lounge... that <b>is</b> embarrassing. I can see why he would want to run.

Glen Miller

Good to see he's matured so much after his 1/2 a school year at Kansas........ lmao

Joe Black

*see Len Shaffer comment from 13 hours before yours

Glen Miller

Is it illegal to have a comment that is similar to another's? I'm sorry Mr. comment Nazi, but I had not read the comments when I posted mine. I will work on my psychic powers.

Jonathan Allison

"Jackson was accused of arguing with then KU women’s basketball player McKenzie Calvert outside a Lawrence bar in Dec., 2016.

During that argument he reportedly hit and kicked Calvert’s car."

---------------------------

I don't think that the accusation was that he was arguing with Calvert. The accusation was that he vandalized her car. The argument was just pretext to the vandalism.

Jonathan Allison

Hopefully Apples got something really nice for Mother's Day. That said... other than embarrassment, this is not a big deal. It's sad that this kind of thing makes national headlines on ESPN. Hopefully he learns his lesson this time...

Lawrence McGlinn

He has made some odd decisions. He really wanted to play in Phoenix rather than Boston. Maybe he is ok with losing, as long as he does not have to play defense, and it is 90 degrees outside. Kevin's comment about witness protection is hilarious.

Jay Scott

"as long as he doesn't have to play defense"

Are you thinking of a different player? Jackson is an elite defender.

Titus Canby

My first thought was, "what a moron." My second thought was, "what kind of stupid things did I do at that age?" Not condoning stupidity. Definitely not condoning vandalism. But I sure am glad reporters don't follow my every move. At least this was a stupid move that didn't hurt anyone.

Joe Baker

Proud to be a Jayhawk? Ugh!

Daniel Parker

It's tough to teach maturity and common sense to a kid that is only a few years out of high school and suddenly has more money than many people make in a lifetime. Hopefully he gets his head on straight and focuses on his profession.

Spencer Goff

Just think, this guy could be getting ready for his senior campaign. Seems crazy, right?

Bee Bee

Practice. Play games. Get paid. It s not that difficult.