KU football gets late addition to 2019 class in juco LB Hayden Hatcher

Kansas University football recruiting

The Kansas football coaching staff hopes most of the recruits who have committed to the program over the previous few days will eventually sign with the Jayhawks and join the program in 2020.

However, Tuesday night they also added a prospect who could help them out much sooner.

A linebacker from Iowa Western Community College, Hayden Hatcher announced on Twitter that he has committed to the Jayhawks and will become a part of the program this coming season, essentially making him a late addition to the 2019 recruiting class.

A 6-foot-3, 201-pound linebacker from Council Bluffs, Iowa, Hatcher only spent one season at the junior college level with IWCC. According to the IWCC website, he appeared in five games and recorded five tackles.

In Hatcher’s Twitter post announcing his decision he described how he only had one Division II offer coming out of high school at Lewis Central (Iowa) before walking on with IWCC.

“I want to thank Les Miles for recognizing what few saw and giving me the opportunity nobody else wanted to,” Hatcher wrote in the post.

Hatcher told the Journal-World he plans to arrive in Lawrence shortly after July 4.

by Hayden Hatcher

Comments

Matt Gauntt

I like a kid with a chip on his shoulder. Make the most of it.

1 month, 4 weeks ago

Brad Avery

According to the Slant, this kid ran a 4.47 40 and is 6-3 220. “Someone pulled me aside and said Les Miles wants to talk to you,” he recalled. “I don't get starstruck usually. I went over and I was talking to Les Miles. It was just insane.”

1 month, 4 weeks ago

Layne Pierce

Again
I dont think Les would just give up a scholarship unless he thinks the kid can help and likely right away.

RCJH

1 month, 4 weeks ago

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

Congratulations. I'll be honest though, this one surprises me a little. It appears we're not having a difficult time filling our scholarship allotment. A JUCO kid that played in five games and recorded five tackles... Regardless, I hope he continues to prove the doubters wrong. Best of luck!

1 month, 3 weeks ago

David Robinett

“He was a four-sport athlete in high school, and this is the first time his full focus has been on football. His father Chris is in the Iowa Hall of Fame and played a year for the Kansas City Royals.“

Multi sport athletes are usually great athletes overall. He’ll be able to help.

1 month, 3 weeks ago

Dirk Medema

Nice 411 Brad & David.

I’m not particularly worried about limited P.T. and stats in one year of JC ball. My guess is there aren’t many freshmen that walk in and dominate from the very start. More likely for a sophomore season but that would just mean he’d be on the radar of that many more big programs. Guessing he’ll be a blueshirt, or even better to be a PWO with a future scholarship that doesn’t count against any class.

IMO, this was one of Beaty’s unheralded strengths. It’s not like there weren’t shortcomings, but understandable frustration seemed to taint everything for some. Even strengths. We got a lot of players on the roster that ended up contributing on the field that didn’t arrive in a traditional recruiting class. Hayden looks like he could be yet another.

It’s great to see the staff continuing to recruit even after the class is “finished”.

1 month, 3 weeks ago

Dirk Medema

His highlight video shows a lot of ST action and rushing from the edge. He would seem like a great candidate for the former at least this season, with at least an opportunity for the latter.

1 month, 3 weeks ago