Prep WR Kyler Pearson, from Oklahoma, announces commitment to KU

Kansas University football recruiting

The Kansas football team picked up on Monday night its third verbal commitment this month for its 2020 recruiting class.

A standout at Les Miles’ on-campus camp a little more than a week ago, receiver Kyler Pearson announced on Twitter his decision to give KU’s new head coach his verbal pledge.

Currently unrated as a prospect by Rivals, Pearson is a 5-foot-8 slot receiver from Union High, in Tulsa, Okla.

Pearson told Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant ahead of announcing his intentions of one day joining KU that his conversations with Miles influenced his decision.

“I was really excited because I had talked to other coaches quite a bit and some of them kept talking about my height,” Pearson said. “But Coach Miles was different. He never talked about my height, he just was really excited how I played and how I competed. And I really liked that about him.”

With his announcement, Pearson became the ninth prep player from the 2020 class to verbally commit to KU and Miles.

2020 KU football recruiting classverbal commitments

• Kershawn Fisher - 3-star LB from Louisiana

• Duece Mayberry - 3-star CB from Oklahoma

• Jackson Stoefen - 3-star OL from Iowa

• Keith Miller III - 3-star WR from Texas

• Keenan Hambrick - 3-star WR from Alabama

• Trevor Kardell - 3-star TE from Missouri

• Will Huggins - 3-star TE from Kansas

• DaVonshai Harden Jr. - 2-star QB from Kansas

• Kyler Pearson - WR from Oklahoma

by Kyler Pearson

Comments

Sam Meyer

Welcome to the Jayhawks, Kyler!!! Feels great how much smoother this class is coming together compared to last season

Brett McCabe

Ask Todd Reesing or Wes Welker or Doug Flutie or Mac Herron about their height. This commitment really excites me because this staff is identifying talent and getting serious about it. Hey Big 12! Things are about to change!

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

Congratulations. I don’t have an opinion either way but this offer is interesting as the receivers HCLM has brought in so far have all been fairly tall. Kyler must have been really impressive.

Brett McCabe

It is definitely a variation from a theme.

When Miles was at LSU, he had a small guy and they actually ran a play where he hid behind the line of scrimmage. It was near the goal line. Can't remember if it worked or who the player was. But Miles clearly sees value and opportunity in a lot of different places.

Andy Tweedy

We need to wear those white helmets more often!!! Welcome aboard, kyler!

Brett McCabe

Agree on those helmets. Wouldn't mind seeing us in all white away.

I do wonder if Miles will change anything up on uni's. White jerseys at home with UCLA stripes and colored pants, perhaps? Nah, he wouldn't do that. I'm guessing he doesn't care.

It is interesting how we have no uniform tradition. John Hadl wore baby blue. Gale wore navy, I think. Mike Gottfried went to navy blue with silver pants. Valesente did the Giants. Mason tried to go with the Ohio State no decal look (I actually designed the Mason KU diagonal that he employed in year two, with the spurs. You can thank Larry Brown for that. I was trying to develop a consistent look but the "KU" that Brown used on the basketball shorts was too soft, in my opinion. I actually preferred a large, oversized "K" with the spurs but Mason thought people would think Kentucky.), Mangino did his thing and then we went to 11 different uniforms a year.

One thing I do know is this: every uniform looks better when you are winning. It would be nice to have something that we all identified with, consistently.

Dane Pratt

Gentlemen, the white helmets are horrible. These are the uniforms we should be wearing.

Brett McCabe

Horrible? Seems strong.

Fact is that a lot of the combinations Adidas brought forth were pretty good. My favorites were either the Limestone or the ones with the Civil War flag.

We are the only Royal blue school in the conference (even though the Union wore Navy) so focusing on blue would probably be good. But those all-red uniforms were sweet!

Dirk Medema

Branding is why we went to KU Blue after the schizophrenic years. I like KU blue.

Brett McCabe

Too bad the corporate branders don't know what the word Crimson means.

But hey, they are just lawyers trying to create a legal argument to punish others. What do they know? If there is anything lower than trademark lawyers, it's corporate branders. The term actually makes me want to throw up in my mouth when I say it.

Glad to see KU track still gets it.

Titus Canby

Our colors are crimson and blue. I like KU blue too, because that's our color. Any color other than crimson and blue (except white), and I don't know what team I'm watching. Pick a specific color. Pick a design. Make only minor variations (such as the Jayhawk through the years). Stick with it.

Similar to coaching, consistency is important.

Jeff Coffman

As a slot receiver, I see more of speed and cutting, more than just height; however, I'm sure HCLM believes talent is key and a DB is always welcome if the conversion needs to be made. Jenks and Union are two power houses in Oklahoma, if he is a top receiver at Union, 5'8" or not, he'll be good.

Waylon Cook

He is a two star per Rivals. Not that it matters. Just not sure why KU Sports has him without stars...