Iowa grad transfer Isaiah Moss signs with Kansas

Iowa guard Isaiah Moss (4) shoots over Rutgers forward Shaq Carter (13) during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Feb. 16, 2019, in Piscataway, N.J.

The Kansas men’s basketball team has added a shooter to its roster for the 2019-20 season, and, after a whirlwind month following his final class at the University of Iowa, grad transfer Isaiah Moss again believes he is where he belongs.

“I feel like this is where I’m supposed to be,” Moss told the Journal-World during a Monday afternoon telephone interview a few hours after committing to play his final season of college basketball at Kansas. “I feel comfortable and I’m excited to move forward and am looking forward to everything.”

Less than 72 hours after announcing he would reopen his recruitment after committing to Arkansas a couple of weeks ago, Moss revealed on Twitter Monday afternoon that he had picked Kansas.

“First and foremost, I want to thank my family, teammates, and coaches for their continued guidance and support,” Moss Tweeted just after noon on Monday. “After evaluating all my options, I have decided to commit to the University of Kansas.”

A 6-foot-5, redshirt junior from Chicago’s Simeon High School, Moss told the Journal-World that his initial decision to commit to Arkansas came during a hectic time.

Photo

photo

Iowa guard Isaiah Moss(4) shoots in front of Minnesota guard Dupree McBrayer (1) during the ...

The calendar certainly backs that up.

After finishing his final class at Iowa on Thursday, May 9, Moss went to Arkansas the next morning and stayed for a two-day visit. On his way home, he stopped by Lawrence for an unofficial visit on Sunday night and then committed to Arkansas three days later.

“I just felt like I was moving too fast and I didn’t get to think about it the whole way through,” Moss said Monday.

Stuck in the back of his mind the entire time was one important fact about his Kansas visit that took place on May 12.

“I liked Kansas a lot when I came out there for a visit,” Moss said. “They showed me a lot of things, I learned a lot about the history of the program. I liked it a lot. I just wanted to win at the highest level. Just being able to play for a place like Kansas, such an historic program, and for a Hall of Fame coach, that’s what caught my eye.”

Moss’ addition provides KU with some much-needed 3-point shooting prowess on a roster that returns just 28 percent of its 3-point makes from a season ago.

While starting all 35 games and earning Iowa’s Most Improved Player award, Moss shot 42% from 3-point range, which ranked fourth in the Big Ten.

“We’ve obviously been looking for shooting throughout this recruiting period and we feel like we have addressed some of those needs with Isaiah’s addition,” KU coach Bill Self said in a Monday news release. “When Isaiah is on the court, he’s going to be a guy that could be a 40-45 percent 3-point shooter and, with the line moving back, I think it’s going to be even more important to have somebody who's consistently good from beyond the arc.”

While his 3-point touch certainly is a big part of his game, Moss said it would be wrong to classify him as just a shooter.

“Really, I just want to do whatever coach wants me to do,” Moss said. “I can play defense, I’m pretty athletic, I can slide, so whatever coach needs me to do I’m going to go out there and do it to the best of my ability.”

Moss, who will wear No. 4 at KU and will report to campus in August after a summer internship in Chicago, becomes the 15th player to transfer in to the Kansas program in the Self era and the third graduate transfer, joining Tarik Black and Jack Whitman.

Last season, he was fifth on the Hawkeyes in scoring (9.2 points per game), second in steals (32) and fourth in assists (62) while reaching double figures 15 times, including eight games of 15 or more points and four games with four or more 3-pointers.

“Isaiah was a very good player on a very good team at the University of Iowa,” Self added in the release. “He’s played in big games. He’s certainly used to the physicality of our sport after playing in the Big Ten and has been very well-coached and drilled. He also played at a top high school program at Simeon (Career Academy) in Chicago. I’m very excited about him and the opportunities that he will give us to stretch the floor and certainly play with a couple really good big guys.”

Added Moss: “I’ve seen it all. I got a piece of the NCAA Tournament this year and I feel like I’m ready to bring it.”

Moss’ addition brings KU’s total of scholarship players on the 2019-20 roster to 11, leaving two more spots to fill if Bill Self and company so desire.

One of those spots could be filled as soon as Wednesday, when 4-star prep prospect Jalen Wilson, of Guyer High in Denton, Texas, is expected to announce his college decision at 2 p.m.

Wilson, who recently visited KU after reopening his recruitment following a coaching change at Michigan is believed to be picking between KU, North Carolina and Michigan.

Comments

Jonathan Allison

Welcome to the Kansas family Mr. Moss. You made a wise choice and you won't regret it

Lex Valdez

Yes!!! Welcome to KU Mr. Moss.... Come on down Mr. Wilson and join the best team in the nation! RCJH!

Stuart Corder

We just answered “who starts @ SG?”.

Glen Miller

I would think that Agbaji or Garrett will be our starting 2 guard before this guy does. He'll be a 6th man, scoring option I would think.

Joe Black

Probably not a starter. He will be a great shooter off the bench.

Jeremy Wilhelm

I know we have more depth in the post this upcoming year than I can recall having since... 2008, maybe? But I imagine he could play in the smaller 4 guard line-ups that we are almost certain to roll out from time-to-time.

Drew Doerfler

hopefully! we shall see though, players need to actually play...lol I thought our depth last year was going to be a huge strength and look what happened...and it wasn't just injuries and Desousa's situation. a lot of players didn't play up to expectations either

Marius Rowlanski

De Sousa was our best get even though not considered a rookie, I see an opportunity to right a wrong for Silvio and I bet he makes the best of it.

Brian Leslie

In 2009-10, we had Aldrich, the Morris Twins, Thomas Robinson and Jeff Withey, all of whom made or are still making millions playing in the NBA. 2008 had Jackson, Arthur, and Kaun, with Aldrich as a deep bench guy. I would have to give 2010 the big man depth award.

Something that goes unremarked upon is the recruiting to replenish our big men depth like that just two years after a championship. I believe that all five guys made All-Big 12 second team or better before leaving KU, with two making CPOY.

Dwayne Mudd

Nice!!! Look at those numbers, dude can shoot the rock....Just what the doctor ordered and helps erase any perceived weakness on the team..

Come join the party Jalen!! Let's hang another NC banner at AFH!!

RJ King

Great news! Moss gets to play a year at a Blue Blood program with a pretty good chance at a national championship. KU replaces the experience and productivity of Grimes/Moore.

If his upward trajectory of continues, this will be a huge get. If it flattens out, we still have a veteran body on the bench providing a breather and extra fouls. Congratulations to all!

Craig Carson

It had to have been a no brainer choice....he could spent his final college season wallowing in last place in the SEC with a program in shambles (Arkansas)or come to KU and have a legit chance at a FF or beyond

Joe Black

Or he could have stay at Iowa and been in the middle of the pack (at best) in the Big 10

Marius Rowlanski

I don't see any downside in getting Moss. Good job.

Danny Hernandez

I wonder if Grimes deciding to transfer influenced his decision to decommit from Arkansas.
Moss has a chance to put up some points. November 5th can't get here soon enough!

Sam Meyer

Welcome aboard Isaiah!!! Excited to add a seasoned presence and phenomenal shooter to the team. You will definitely have the opportunity to drain some bigtime shots.

We were all disappointed when Rayjon Tucker passed on us for Memphis, but it looks like we were actually winners that day considering how everything has played out. Excited for the upcoming season!!!

Stuart Corder

Isaiah Moss is an ideal replacement for Grimes, as he is essentially what Grimes was developing into at KU.

(all stats from ESPN)

His Three Point %:
- 35% Freshman yr.
- 38% Soph.
- 42% Jr.
- ??? Sr. @ KU

With ‘Dok, De Sousa, McCormack & Dotson/McBride...Isaiah Moss is going to have a lot of open shots. Moss should also be a welcome addition for Marcus Garett, who can use spacing to drive. Moss wasn’t going to have the bench depth and supplementary players at Iowa as he does now at KU.

He also shoots about 80% from the FT line, and about the same percentages inside the arc as from beyond. Defensively, he doesn’t really foul yet he got nearly a steal a game last season.

Perhaps most importantly, he “showed up” in his NCAA tournament game against Tennessee last year - the second round thriller that went into overtime.

As it stands, I’m speculating:
- Dotson (McBride/Garrett)
- Moss (Agbaji/Garrett/Braun)
- Garrett (Agbaji/Braun/Enaruna)
- De Sousa (McCormack/Lightfoot/Enaruna)
- Dok (McCormack/Lightfoot)
——————————
- Michael Jankovich
- Chris Teahan
- Elijah Elliot

Drew Doerfler

Moss will not start in front of Agbaji or Even Garrett....He will be coming off the bench or when we need 3 point shooting. Agbaji is a projected top 10 pick in next years draft, he will be starting....his upside is a lot greater than Moss. starters? i'm guessing Dotson, Agbaji, Garrett at begining of the year and then either Enaruna or Wilson *when we get him* the second half of the year for scoring ability, Desousa and Dok underneath.....with two big bodies underneath we need shooters to space the floor

Craig Carson

Not questioning your assessment on agbaji, I'd love for him to have a Jarrett Culver type of year and leas us to the FF, but where have you heard this assessment that he is a projected lottery pick next year???

Drew Doerfler

nbadraft.net has him as the 7th pick....i actually don't see it yet, but they know what they are doing more so than i do...lol

Craig Carson

I like the kid, but not sure about a lottery pick quit yet..not saying it couldn't happen..but that's a lot to heap on a kid who on my played essentially 1\2 season

Marius Rowlanski

He might only get a few starts but we need him to shoot w/consistency and accuracy... Agbaji wasted most of his first year, only getting a few quality starts after his fantastic start.

Moss will get between 12-15 minutes a game. More if he can score.

Tony Bandle

I think that pairings will be fairly set but combinations could be off the charts -
Dok/McCormack, De Sousa/Lightfoot, Dotson/ Garrett, Agbaji/Wilson, Moss/McBride, Enaruna/Braun, one schollie for safe keeping, with maybe a red shirt between Enaruna/Braun.

The diversity of personnel would allow Bill to go "mega big" to "lightning small."

Brad Avery

Should be an exciting team next season regardless of who starts. Personally, I think Braun is going to steal a lot more minutes than is anticipated on this board . Ideal wing player in Self’s offense because of his length, shooting ability and “want to.”

Andy Tweedy

I can't play basketball for crap, but I sure do love my Jayhawks and this seems like the perfect addition to the upcoming campaign!!!

Robin Smith

I'm liking how all these pieces can fit. Moss is a great addition. Glad he chose KU.

Brett McCabe

Welcome Isaiah. You've become an improved version of a hawk - by heading to the Free State.

Some veteran leadership in the backcourt will serve the team well. Tight spots, a run against us, the need for a splash to turn the momentum. Here's hoping he has the season of his dreams. RCJHK!

Steve Zimmerman

bring it on!!!

Matt Stone

Makes me wonder if Jalen may just go to NC since positions are getting swallowed up. Would still love for him to come to KU as I think he may be better than Enaruna. This roster should be interesting to put together.
Dok duh
DeSousa too big to leave out and chomping at bit to prove himself
Garrett his improved offense and great defense makes him start
Ogbaji not completely sold on him starting, as wild card Moss has veteran leadership and the 3s
Dotson. Duh
May be the starters

Bryce Landon

Welcome to Kansas, Isaiah! RCJH!

Robert Brock

This team is going to be about defense. The Hawks are going to get a lot of flat-out stops unlike the 2018-2019 team. Self teams do well when defense is emphasized and the offense has so many ways to score. It’s going to be fun!

Chad Smith

completely agree. defense will be touted for this team. time to hold teams to 60 ppg.

Chad Smith

This is a great get no matter what. All-around player at SG with good size and good shooting. If he can play defense at all( which since he's a seasoned player, I'm leaning towards yes) he will get plenty ot PT.

Garrett, for as good as he is defensively and attacking the basket, leaves a lot to be desired from the perimeter offensively, so this is an ideal spot for Moss to come off the bench and throw in 10-12 pts a game.

We land WIlson and our outlook for next season really elevates.

ROCK CHALK

Joe Baker

This is a huge get and desperately needed to fill that GIGANTIC hole at the 3. I do feel many are being a little too critical of Garrett. He was never brought in to compete much for the 3 slot. He is mostly a 1 or 2. I agree with the criticism, but Moss is likely gone after this year and he does buy Garrett time. This is Garrett’s junior season and I expect him to be the best 6 man off the bench in the B12 or maybe the nation. He is like Mitch and provides those intangibles that do not show in the stats. Garrett had some great games and if he gets it together this year, his size, skill, and IQ are going to be a factor. Since Dotson is back Garrett should be a glue leader. A 6-5 Guard at the 1 or 2 is huge.
I expect Garrett to have an even bigger senior season.

Thomas Green

Well, he’s definitely gone after this year because he is a grad transfer and will be out of eligibility.

His shooting will be a welcome and necessary addition whether he starts or comes off the bench.

5 months, 1 week ago