Demolition of KU volleyball building expected to begin next week; construction of bigger facility to soon follow

Kansas freshman outside hitter Patricia Montero serves in the third set of the match against Kansas State on Wednesday, Oct. 12, 2016 at Horejsi Center.

The University of Kansas women’s volleyball team should be playing inside a new building by the start of its next season.

Demolition of the Horejsi Family Athletics Center, where games are hosted and the team practices, is expected to begin on Dec. 7, KU Athletic Director Jeff Long told Kansas Athletics Inc. board members during a meeting Thursday.

Construction will follow right behind demolition. The $10 million project has been paid for by the Horejsi family, who also funded the current facility, which was completed at the end of the 1998 volleyball season at a cost of $3.8 million, according to Kansas Athletics.

Long said he and Ray Bechard, head coach of the KU volleyball team, were working out the details to be on site for the beginning of the demolition.

“I’m excited about getting in the big claw and taking a chunk out of it,” Long said. “We’ll see if I get to do that.”

The current facility seats 1,300, and the new one will seat approximately 2,300. The team has grown such a large fan base that for several years the venue sold out to season-ticket holders.

“There will be room for more fans to watch Kansas volleyball,” said Jim Marchiony, associate athletic director.

“We’ll see what the number of season-ticket sales are, and then if there are seats left we’ll do single game and groups,” Marchiony said.

The new structure will have a mezzanine level on the east side that will connect to Allen Fieldhouse.

Long also reported that the indoor football practice facility was far enough along that recruits visiting the university over the coming weekend would be able to see the lobby.

“They still tell me it is going to be done in January. I am thinking more like February, but more likely before spring practice begins," Long said.

Comments

Phil Leister

So $10million to increase the seating capacity by a thousand seats? $10,000 a seat, yeesh.

1 week, 2 days ago

Josh Galler

but there will be other reasons why so high as better bathrooms, better concession stands,prolly better other things

1 week, 2 days ago

John Strayer

My initial thoughts too...My daughter loves volleyball and as a KU student she rarely can get in to see matches. Also...didn't KU get shafted in NCAA tourney seedings recently because KU didin't have a large enough arena to host a site?

Another possibility perhaps is being able to move more popular matches th AFH?? I no I've seen VB matches played in AFH before.

1 week, 2 days ago

Brett McCabe

Congrats to the Horejsi family for their continued support of a stellar program at KU. Imagine giving $3.8 million and then giving another $10 million to destroy the first $3.8. Hats off to some very, very generous benefactors. RCJHK!

1 week, 2 days ago

Dirk Medema

$10k/seat sounds like the analysis of some students that failed my math classes. It's math but it's also wrong.

1 week, 2 days ago

Phil Leister

$10mil divided by the extra 1000 seats means each of those extra seats costs $10k. That's all I meant Mr. Medema. Can I please go to the bathroom now?

1 week, 2 days ago

Layne Pierce

The increase in interest is tremendous,
and now the catch is to maintain and maximize
that, the last two years have been somewhat
disappointing, and this year ended with
a five match losing streak, couple that
with a 9 match winning streak, and
you have to ask yourself what is going on?
Why did team suddenly start passing
so poorly? After we beat Texas
I was sure we would be in the NCAA
tournament. Then the roof fell in,
so now we are changing the roof.

RCJH