Chancellor Girod fires KU Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger, citing lack of progress and necessary change in leadership

In this file photo from Oct. 14, 2017, Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger shows frustration after a penalty is called against the Jayhawks during the second quarter of a football game in Ames, Iowa.

University of Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger has been fired, effective immediately, KU Chancellor Douglas Girod announced Monday, citing a lack of progress and a need for new leadership.

"This morning I met with Sheahon and relieved him of his duties," Girod said in a news release Monday morning. “Sheahon has been a loyal Jayhawk, and Kansas Athletics has improved in many ways under his leadership. But the department continues to face a number of challenges, and progress in key areas has been elusive. To achieve the level of success we need and expect, a change in leadership is necessary.”

Zenger, 52, has been KU’s athletic director since February 2011.

His employment agreement was terminated without cause, KU said in the news release, and per that agreement, he will be paid two years of his salary of $700,000, plus health insurance premiums, for a total of $1,419,309.

Sean Lester, deputy athletic director, will serve as interim director.

“I have spoken with Sean about my expectations for the coming months,” Girod said. “I am confident he will provide sound leadership and stability during this transition.”

Lester, in a statement Monday, said he accepted the "challenge to help lead Kansas Athletics through this transition," while also acknowledging that "this is a tough day for us, because we know what kind of person Sheahon is. We know how much he loves this university and this state, and how much he cares, first and foremost, for KU's coaches and student-athletes."

Girod has already begun the process of identifying a permanent athletics director, according to the news release. To lead this process, he has enlisted Drue Jennings, who served as interim athletics director in 2003 and led the search processes that brought Chancellor Bernadette Gray-Little and KU men's basketball coach Bill Self to KU. Jed Hughes, a consultant with the Korn Ferry executive search firm, will assist Jennings.

In an interview Monday with the Journal-World, Girod said he expected that KU would have a new athletics director named by the end of the summer.

He said there wasn't a specific event that triggered Zenger's termination.

"There wasn’t a precipitous event of any kind, in all honesty. ... I’ve tried to spend this year understanding the model, being as supportive as I could be in trying to understand the directions we were heading with athletics," Girod said. "A lot of good things are going on there, but I think we’ve just lost some of our momentum, and that being the case, it was time for a leadership change."

When asked if other organizational changes at KU Athletics were on the horizon, Girod said he didn't expect any but that he was "sure we’ll take a hard look at our athletic operations and decide where we need to go from there."

Asked what he was looking for in a new athletic director, Girod said, "I think energy, vision, obviously a strong sense of what it takes to continue to be successful in the current environment of college athletics and the current financial challenges — or pressures, at least — that everybody faces, not to mention changes in amateurism and everything else that goes around college athletics. Someone very forward-thinking is going to help lead us through all of that."

As athletic director, Zenger oversaw a budget of about $100 million. A recent review by the Journal-World found that in recent years, expenses of the athletic department have been increasing at a rate far greater than revenue growth. The review also found that department finances continue to be challenged by declining football ticket sales, which are down by about $6 million a year from their peak in 2009.

In a message to the KU community as a whole, Girod sought to provide context for Monday's decision, according to the news release.

“Since becoming chancellor, I have spent countless hours with higher education peers and Jayhawks to hear their perspective on KU,” he wrote. “A common thread in these conversations is that, as a major public university with national aspirations, we must continue to strive for excellence in all areas — including athletics. As I have said many times, a successful athletics department is inextricably linked to our mission as a flagship research university.

The chancellor also in his Monday statement mentioned KU football, whose coach, David Beaty — hired by Zenger — has a record of 3-33 since 2015.

Photo

photo

In this file photo from Dec. 8, 2014, University of Kansas Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger, ...

Journal-World File Photo

Zenger's dismissal does not change the status of Beaty.

"In addition, earlier today I spoke with Coach Beaty and shared my expectation that he will continue recruiting hard and getting his team ready for the season," Girod said in the statement.

In a statement Monday, Beaty expressed his gratitude to Zenger.

“It’s certainly been a difficult day," he said. "Sheahon gave me an opportunity to be the head coach here at Kansas, a place that is special to both of us, and I will be forever grateful for that.”

Beaty added that his focus would be on preparing for the upcoming football season.

"Although this is a tough day, we will move forward as a program and continue to keep all of our focus on preparing for the season ahead."

Zenger also hired Beaty's predecessor, Charlie Weis, who went 6-22 at KU.

Self said Monday was a difficult day because Zenger was well-liked.

"Today is a hard day at Kansas Athletics not only because Sheahon has been so supportive of our student-athletes and coaches, but because he's a Kansas guy who loves this university," Self said in a statement. "We've had many positive things happen since Sheahon's arrival ... This is sad because we all liked and appreciated Sheahon, but we know that in all businesses tough decisions have to be made; we respect that and wish the best for Sheahon and his family."

Zenger’s latest contract amendment, which became effective July 1, 2017, stipulated that his employment would extend another four years — through June 2021. Gray-Little signed the agreement in early May 2017, right before she stepped down as KU's chancellor.

As the Journal-World previously reported, the state-funded portion of Zenger’s contract is 29 percent, and the Kansas Athletics portion is 71 percent, according to KU spokesman Joe Monaco.

That calculates to $203,000 per year paid with state dollars and $497,000 from Kansas Athletics.

Zenger, a Salina native who attended K-State and then got his doctorate at KU in 1996, came to KU seven years ago from Illinois State. He succeeded Lew Perkins, who resigned from KU in September 2010.

Check back as this story develops.

— Journal-World reporters Joanna Hlavacek, Kim Callahan, Chad Lawhorn, Tom Keegan, Matt Tait and Benton Smith contributed to this report.

Comments

wow, finally! Girod must've realized he was heading down the same path as MR Zenger, too. Good Riddance. RCJH!!

['']

Beaty freaking out. As well he should be

John Fitzgerald

I did not see this coming at all but we can’t say it wasn’t deserved. I just hope this is the sign of good things to come. Also, one of my first blogs was about an email I sent to Girod. I got the impression that Zengers job was in jeopardy then. And obviously it was.

Dillon Davis

Wonder who's more nervous rn? Beaty or Bryson? lol

Jeremy Morris

This is AMAZING NEWS. I didn't think we'd see this for 5 months.

Kevin Robert Fest

Does Bryson get fired as well?

Phil Leister

---“I spoke with Coach (David) Beaty earlier today and shared my expectation that he will continue recruiting hard and getting his team ready for the season,” Girod wrote.---

So Beaty is essentially fired, right? I'm not sure why he would need to be reminded of his expectation to keep doing his job.

Chris DeWeese

I was asking myself the same question. Based on Girod's statement, I'm thinking it's just a matter of time. I wonder how long it'll take to get a new AD on board, and then what? Will he/she immediately clean house?

Jacob Zutterman

As much as I want to see Beaty go, firing him after spring ball going into the summer would only hurt the program more.

Marius Rowlanski

What I took away from the article was that Beaty has another year. We have some decent recruits and now this is his team completely. No excuses Coach, I think it's win or go.

Eric Eakins

I suspect Beaty will get a chance to start the season as Girod said he would last fall. But Girod is sending a clear message that he will have someone in place to deal with hiring a new coach ASAP. The message is clear, get off to a good start or else. Show great improvement or else. One win in first three games probably means interim coach rest of year. 2 or 3 wins all season (none in big 12) means new coach for winter recruiting. 4 or 5 wins he is on the fence. That's my guess.

Eric Eakins

FYI, if my analysis is right, I suspect we will have a new coach for winter recruiting. Beaty has shown no signs of developing talent or managing a game effectively. We are in year four and he still can't decide who his quarterback is. The most vital position.

['']

If he doesn't product a winning record record this year he doesn't get a sniff at another year. Even 5 wins isn't enough.

Waylon Cook

Give the new AD a mop and a trashcan. Smith and Price somehow get another year because of the time?

['']

And yo boy Schneider. Another terrible Zenger hire.

Waylon Cook

Keep talking cuck.

['']

You need new material Waylie...freshen it up a bit. You insult like Schneider coaches.

Marius Rowlanski

WTF is a cuck?

['']

That's Waylie's attempt at a slam of anyone who doesn't think Schneider is coach of the decade.

Chris DeWeese

Surprising to see this now, but not at all shocking. All you have to do is look at Zenger's track record, and everything comes into focus. Clearly KU was losing interest from the fan base/alumni under Zenger's leadership, and another lackluster football season would've set all efforts back even further. I know Girod says Beaty is expected to continue business as usual, but I wonder what is in store for Beaty once the new AD is here. Kind of exciting, kind of sad.

Joseph Thomas

People have been losing interest since all the Perkins scandals came to bear. Failed AD after failed AD... .

Kevin Robert Fest

Lmao hey Bryson better update your resume see if you can send it out now to prospective coaches. Experience...Chief butt kisser and head cheer leader. Coaching experience..Likes college football...favorite sport....knows everything, because l watch every game. Head of communications...coaching staff sends me emails and updates about football team

Poor poor Bryson are you going to be up nights worrying if daddy is going to be fired?

Phil Leister

Bryson is annoying and I don't care for hardly anything that he posts. But you sound like even more of an idiot.

Kevin Robert Fest

Thanks Phil, couldn't careless what you think but thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Mike Hart

Agreed, Phil. Kevin's a moron. This is old, stale news, however.

Kevin Robert Fest

Thanks Mike appreciate your wisdom.

Kevin Robert Fest

At this point it's like the captain of the Titanic telling the passengers to go to the lifeboats, after half the ship is already underwater.

Aaron Paisley

Beaty doesn't survive this season. Girod is going to let the new AD fire Beaty and choose his coach. It wouldn't be smart to fire Beaty now because there's not a quality coach available at Memorial Day. Wait until October when conference play starts, the get a head start on finding his replacement.

Jay Scott

Possible scenario 1 - Beaty has a decent season. This move looks stupid.

Possible scenario 2 - New AD fires Beaty. No decent coach will come to KU. This move looks stupid.

Possible scenario 3 - New AD is able to hire decent coach who succeeds. This move looks good, in 3-4 years.

Certain scenario - Football dies anyway. Is replaced with real football.

Kevin Robert Fest

My guess, they let him start the season, usual happens, fired, Bowen or Meacham ihc, search for replacement after season.

Chris DeWeese

Man, I hate soccer.

Bob Thompson

I love soccer

Mick Dupas

Great news ! KU sports were pathetic under Zenger leadership.(except mens hoops)

Jay Scott

...missed women's track winning national title? ....and volleyball Final 4.....

Jesse Johnson

And honestly, 2011 was the last time KU had a dominant men's hoops team. We've definitely had really good teams, but with very significant flaws.

Jay Scott

the conference titles in 2012, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 2018 might indicate otherwise....

Joe Joseph

Dude, what?;

Marius Rowlanski

I'm guessing you're talking about the 2011/2012 season. Not that it matters because your post is ridiculous.

Waylon Cook

lol 2011?

Jeff Coffman

Thank you Dr Girod.

I know I have been a knee jerk to Dr. Girod, when he failed to rid Zenger earlier; however, I'm glad he is a calculating and a guy that was preparing for today. This is actually a step in the right direction. I'm glad to see his patience and his course forward. I know as a fan, I'm not always as patient.

Gary Wilson

This firing was criminally late. Girod gets zero credit for this obvious move.

David Kelley-Wood

" progress in key areas has been elusive."

You don't have to trot out the tea leaves to read this one.

Robert Brock

I’m surprised. PLEASANTLY surprised.

Michael Maris

"Zenger's termination comes as Kansas Athletics is working to raise money for $350 million in athletic facility improvements, with more than $300 million slated for the football program. Work already is underway for a $26 million indoor practice facility for the football team. However, it is unclear how the change in leadership may affect other planned improvements that have not yet been started."

When big time Donor's are being asked for contributions to such structural endeavors, there's always going to be some "I'll donate, but I want X, Y & Z completed, before I donate."

Case in point, when Saint Louis University was looking for just a little more $$$$$$$$ for their new Basketball Arena, they went back to Dr. David B. Chaiffetz for just a little bit more money. And, Dr. Chaiffetz demanded that Head Coach be relieved from his duties (Brad Soderberg), and replaced with Rick Majerus. So, the Dr. got his wish and even his name on the Arena. So, it will be interesting to see who the Power Player was (once all of the dust settles).

Dillon Davis

I think it's important not to forget how bad women's bball has been under Schneider (who Zenger hired to replace Bonnie). His numbers:

2015-16: 6-25 (0-18 in conference)
2016-17: 8-22 (2-16 conf)
2017-18: 12-18 (3-15 conf)

He has improved each year but very minimally, especially in conference. Not only is this a make-or-break year for Beaty, but it's a make-or-break year for Schneider as well (or at least it should be).

['']

Careful Dillon! Waylie's gonna call you a cuck now! Guy has won 6% of Big 12 games....

Richie Wilson

Does this timing worry anybody else?

Brett McCabe

For now, I'm forgetting about the fact that it should have been done early in the season last year. Moving forward then, Girod had two real choices; Do it now or wait until we are 1-4 this fall.

Advantages to doing it now? You have the summer to find your guy/gal, get them on board for back-to-school and have them putting together their short list for Beaty's replacement. This could help the transition in terms of recruiting with the early signing period. It also gives the new AD time to evaluate the roster, get a full grip of the scholarship situation, etc.

Does it make Beaty a lame-duck? Of course, but there was virtually no way Beaty was going to survive anyway. Might as well get the train on the tracks now.

Michael Leiker

Richie, yes!! Do now what you could have done in December and stick us with another lame duck football season.

I’m not necessarily for or against the move. I think Zenger was a great guy who seemed to run a very ethical department with not very great results, but this is just one more big bungled up hiring/firing job it seems.

Lawrence McGlinn

I think it is a response to conversations with certain big donor(s), thus the delay.

['']

Short list of replacements?

Michael Maris

I know that this guy just took the AD job at SIU-Carbondale. But, how about Jerry Kill? I'm sure that Kansas could offer him a lot more than SIU-C can. And, Kill is a Kansan and definitely a Football Guy.

['']

I love Kill but -- he has NEVER been an AD - and his health likely wouldn't hold up to the stresses the full all-sports AD job here would put on him. He had SIU connections so that was a sympathetic hire there. Hell - I'd take him as our FB coach right now though, even with his health issues.

Thomas Green

Wow! This is very good news. Would love to know what precipitated such a dramatic turn of events. This should have been done months ago, as we are now stuck with another wasted season of football. I’ll still take it because it’s a gigantic step toward getting this train wreck cleaned up!

Andy Craig

They should hire Mark Mangino as the next AD.

Lance Cheney

AD = Awesomeness Director

Jeff Coffman

If I recall he was not very good at fundraising when he was a coach...not sure that AD would be his forte.

Michael Maris

Let's do our best to keep Coach Tony Hull. And, bring back Coach Reggie Mitchell (as well from UTEP). Both are PROVEN Recruiters.

['']

Duplication. They are both RB coaches.

Michael Maris

I know they're both RB Coaches. But, retain Hull as he currently is employed. And, hire Mitchell in a different Offensive coaching capacity. He's been more than just a RB coach (in his coaching tenures).

['']

Good points Michael. I'd go for that.

Dennis Strick

This is about time! And the timing could not be better. We are under no pressure to fill the position. We have too many layers of assistant this-or-thats over there who can fill in and keep the gears moving. They are already squeaky and rusted so who cares if it takes a little longer to replace them.

We are in great hands to have Drue Jennings conducting this search for the University. He will come to it with the same degree of care, thoroughness, professionalism, and Midas touch he brought to the Bill Self search, and he brought to the companies he ran . Everyone just needs to get out of his way and let him do what he has been retained to do, and then accept his findings. Then and only then will we finally be on the road to recovery in our Football program.

Lance Cheney

It would be good if we could keep Beaty on in some capacity other than head coach, because he's obviously a hell of a recruiter. He just doesn't know what to do with the talent once it's here.

['']

Seriously? Who has Beaty recruited that has amounted to anything? We don't even have the vaunted Texas HS connection he claimed to have. Hull is the only one bringing in recruits -- from LA. Keep Hull at all costs - Beaty back to TX. I like Beaty as a man of character. I think he is a great position coach. Not a HC.

Lance Cheney

Fair enough - most of the big time recruits are Hull recruits. But I don't know that I'd call him a great position coach.

['']

I was trying to find a silver lining for the guy... : )

Aaron Paisley

Beaty's track record as a WR coach here and at Texas A&M speaks for itself, the man can WR's.

Same deal as Clint Bowen. Very good position coach, most KU pros recently have been DB's, but Bowen can't scheme or call a game to save his life.

Gary Wilson

I wouldn't call Beaty a great coach in any capacity.

Kevin Robert Fest

Mike Leach? I know he's a little kooky but has Big 12 ties, turned TT into a national story, turned Wst around.

For AD?

Kevin Robert Fest

Coach

['']

He's a great coach and i'd love it but....He got fired from TTech for doing exactly what Mangino got fired for here. No way they hire him. Many other coaches with far less baggage out there. We just need to pony up the $.

Jarod DeLozier

Man, what does it say about someone when you'll pay them $1.5mm to not be in a job?

Eric Eakins

It says he has a great agent and contract lawyer.

David Friend

Here is my guess as to the timing. Spring football had its issues and seemed chaotic and its quite possible we will go winless again. (proof of chaos is cancellation of the spring game). Baseball and softball were a huge disappointment. A few high power donors whom are very successful in business had a discussion with the Chancellor and said it would not be a bad time to make a move. You can take your time have an AD in place by labor day and be ready to hire the next football coach. Just my opinion.

Lawrence McGlinn

Complete agreement! They couldn't even put together a spring game! Could be lotsa heads rolling in coming months.

Brian Skelly

My post less than 24 hours ago in one of the other threads (about KU being/staying in a P5 conference) was simply that Zenger had to go. We were going to be stuck in a certain situation if we didn't do anything about that.

We STILL maybe in a bad situation, but until things got moving with a new AD, nothing positive was going to happen.

One of the reasons folks thought getting rid of Zenger was a bad idea, was because he was in good with the "big" donors. And to be sure, this IS a good thing. But does anyone think that big donors don't want progress? And we've had a decade of no progress or regression with much of the athletics going on at KU. This was an overdue move, but Im glad it's happening.

The reality is Beaty is the least of our problems. He'll probably have the job for the next season, simply because it's going to probably take that long to get a new AD up and running. His lone hope is a pretty quick turnaround -- like a minor bowl. Otherwise, he's gone after next season.

['']

I'm telling ya -- The new AD needs to throw $4-$5M per yr to get Doeren. 5 year contract - $20-$25M. Former KU guy, KC/Midwest guy. Recruiting end-roads in Chicago area and northern Midwest from his time at NIU and now has recruited the east coast too. Proven winner and would bring back hard-nose tough mentality to KU FB. Keep Hull.

Brett McCabe

Willie Fritz would also be a good fit. As would Craig Bohl. Doeren would be a good pick, but it would be a big step backwards for him. We had our chance, we passed. We blew it. If I remember right from Tom's column, Zenger was put-off by Doeren's over-eagerness to have the job. Of course, Zenger looked at Charlie Weis and the words "power surge" came to mind......

['']

You may be right on us missing our shot. But -- money talks. He's making $3M at NCSt. Give him $5 x 5. That might do it. Over-eagerness for a job -- yeah that's a bad omen. Who would want that in a fball coach. Nice WHIFF Zengie!

Brett McCabe

And you are right about at least checking in with Doeren.....you never know where a guy's heart and mind are at. NC State may not be the perfect fit for him, so a phone call should definitely be made.

Barry Weiss

I think Girod saw the dumpster fire under Beaty. That spring game mess did not help Beaty's cause at all. Pretty much a given we were going to head into conference play with one win tops, and that would be the only win all year. Now, the new AD can take some time, to really find a HC that can recruit, that can coach, that won't play games with the media.

Stephen H Hadley

Not about football.

Brett McCabe

FBI? Cheerleading? Something else? I'm intrigued....

Steve Corder

Tend to agree with Stephen. This could be about big donors and the degree of or lack of excitement over the 350M campaign stemming from a meeting a few weeks ago.

The football coach may play a part, but I think little at this point in time.

Jay Scott

Highlights of today's commentary nonsense -

Kansas should bring in Mike Leach, Dave Doeren as coach.
Mark Mangino or Jerry Kill should be the new AD..

Be patient. It might get even more asinine.

Bill Belichick, Nick Saban, Joe Castiglione, Denzel Washington and Warren Buffet haven't been brought up yet.

['']

Stupid comment from the Zenger apologist. Must be Zengie's cousin.

Jay Scott

Is that your way of saying that any of the above are plausible?

Actually that stupid, or just acting that way?

['']

Yep. Doeren could definitely be in the running if KU doesn't do it's normal tied up purse string mentality by trying to save $ and spend $1-$2M on a mediocre coach. Do you disagree?

Jay Scott

Only a moron thinks that a coach is going to move to a lesser program for mere money. Money is easy to find. Success is elusive, and lucrative.

['']

Then you ARE stupid AND acting that way. Thanks for the existential quotes Mr. Myagi.

Brett McCabe

I can't believe that you are suggesting Denzel....he's only a high school coach and has no current recruiting connections in Texas. Billy Bob, maybe, but straight from high school to Power 5? Only if he can get Billy Dee Williams to run the ball.

Belicheck's defenses have been weak, and late-games lapses have cost the Pats two Super Bowls, so I'll pass on him. Saban is too old and too complacent, plus he plays old-man football according to Mizzou players. Urban Meyer has a history of health/mental problems and couldn't even make the playoff last year, so please don't mention him. Come back when you have some serious candidates.

Jay Scott

You missed the joke, or rather chose to prove that you were the joke....

Charlie Gaughn

Geee, does that mean the focus group meeting is cancelled for tomorrow? This is only about 4 years too late. He should've been shown the door right behind Weis. Now I can finally get behind Beaty (shucks might even go back to buying a season ticket). There's no reason to fire Beaty unless he continues this ridiculous trend of juco players. I have to think a lot of that was being pushed on him by Zenger knowing he wasn't going to get to hire a third head coach.

Thanks you Girod!! You certainly made my day.

Charlie Gaughn

Oh, and thank you LJW for keeping the heat on this athletic department. If it hadn't been for some of the recent disclosures of ridiculous salary increases, and putting it all in perspective, it would still be status quo. I can't wait to hear "Welcome to Wal-Mart" coming from Zenger. Thanks to Bernadette it will be a few years until he runs out of money.

Bj Cassady

To clean house first thing is to take out the trash. The process is started. Take the time and get a GREAT hire. Be thinking about a football coach. Beaty will probably fail. Take out more trash get a GREAT hire but realize this is a very long process ten years. This program is one of DIV ones worst. Got to rebuild other sports to.

Gary Wilson

This is horrifically late happening, but better now than never. Beaty should have been fired today as well. Two years ago actually. Worst football program with the worst head coach in D-1.

Randy Bombardier

Nothing personal, just business and it seems quite necessary.

Carolyn Hunzicker

Hire the Colorado AD he will hire Mike Leach and were on our way.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Sam Allen

What if Zenger was before Perkins
We would all be talking about Perkins?

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Sam Allen

Zenger didn’t fire Mangino, Perkins did in fact Perkins did that to make himself in less trouble (the “Pesky” Mangino “Incident” but it backfired on Perkins,
One positive (and probably only positive) for Zenger is he would not have fired Mangino, was Zenger there at KU at all during the Mangino era?
What if Zenger was before Perkins
well we would all be talking about Perkins...right?

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Brad Watson

I am impressed with the Chancellor....well done sir....never an easy thing to do ...especially after the Final Four run....My suggestion is a former D1 football coach as AD...someone who understands football....Like Mack Brown....and a motivator coach like Gene Chizik...trust me...you hire these men..... ....... things will get better immediately. ..... the checks from the alumni will start coming in and we will all look forward to Saturdays in the fall once again.......we have a great stadium...do not change anything but that south end zone embarrassment..bring back the old bleachers....keep the place old school......like Allen.Field House........preserve the history.

3 weeks, 3 days ago

Brad Watson

I wanted to also add....Good Luck Mr. Zenger!!!!!!! I think you did some positive things and wish you and your family the best moving forward..these things make you better in the long run...keep your head up.

3 weeks, 2 days ago