Tom Keegan: Competitive football teams, not shiny stadiums, draw crowds

Rendering of the University of Kansas football stadium, at completion of renovation project.

“Raise the Chant” seems far too ambitious a slogan for the fundraising campaign aimed at giving David Booth company in trying to bring state-of-the-art upgrades to the Kansas football stadium.

One must crawl before walking, walk before jogging, jog before sprinting.

Given that progression scale as it relates to interest in the Kansas football program at the moment, “Raise the Murmur” might be a more appropriate rallying cry.

Anyway, in an effort to make potential donors feel included in the dream of a stadium renovation, a survey found its way into the email inboxes of many friends. I'm more than a little offended I didn't receive one.

It starts with a warning that it will take 10 to 15 minutes to complete, far quicker than it took Kansas to get a first down at TCU last season, not to mention much easier on the eyes.

The survey features some beautiful photographs of stadium clubs at football powerhouses such as Texas A&M, etc.

Beaming Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger informs in the introductory letter that “Kansas Athletics has partnered with the Convention Sports & Leisure International to conduct a market survey to help guide the final design phase of this project.”

The whole thing could have been boiled down to one question: Would you be more likely to come to David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium to watch a football game if the stadium were renovated or if the team averaged significantly more than the 1.88 victories per season it has in the eight years since Mark Mangino (average of 6.25 victories in eight seasons) was shown the door?

Can you say 100 percent?

One question includes as one of the 22 answers “team performance”: Why do you not attend more home Kansas football games?

These answer options were not offered:

• Kansas is 3-33 under fourth-year coach David Beaty and 1-32 vs. FBS competition, and I have lost faith that the coach can reverse the trend.

• The Jayhawks are 10-62 overall and 5-61 vs. FBS schools under coaches hired by Athletic Director Sheahon Zenger, and I have lost faith in his ability to hire the right coach and oversee his recruiting direction.

Common sense dictates that the team’s performance, easily the worst among Power 5 schools, makes this the wrong time to try to excite the masses about a snazzy stadium.

Everybody knows shiny football stadiums don’t fill stadiums. Competitive football teams fill stadiums.

The active 10-62 record is the worst six-year mark in the history of the program, breaking the previous record (11-61 from 2011-16), which broke the previous record (12-60 from 2010-15).

The good news is that record-breaking streak likely will end after the 2018 season because only an 0-12 mark breaks it and KU appears to have upgraded its defensive depth with a number of solid junior college recruits, so a winless season is not likely. Usually by now, word would have reached me about two or three of the jucos being busts. Thus far, haven't heard any negatives on them. They landed most of their top juco targets and seem to have done a nice job of evaluating which ones to pursue.

Even with such a thin offensive line that injuries there prevented Kansas from having a spring game, it's difficult to imagine Kansas going 0-12 for what would be the second time in four seasons.

Then again, by FCS standards, Nicholls State is a pretty tough team, so the Jayhawks better not look past the Colonels, who visit David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium on Sept. 1 for the season-opener.

Comments

Blake Phillips

i'll be more inclined to actually go to games (a few times) just to check out a new stadium. I guarantee when it opens up, for the first few games it'll be close to sold-out.... regardless of win/loss. Hopefully the crowd turnout will help fuel our players to actually win and create a rolling-effect so to speak.

Joe Norgay

Absolutely no chance in hell, not in a million years, will the new stadium be sold out if we are as abysmal a team as we are today. If we are as good a team as we are today when the stadium is completed we'll get a bump of about 5,000-10,000 fans around Lawrence who just want to check the new digs out over the course of a handful of games.

No one cares about a new stadium if the football team is atrocious.

Andy Tweedy

Blake only mentions the first few games. If we end up as bad as most of us fear, we surely won't know it until week 3. So he may be right with his guarded optimism.

Blake Phillips

Yes Andy..... I would hope our first fcs opponent would be a win by 2019... lol. And if the stadium is in fact as beautiful as the renderings..... I'd imagine a full house. There is 50k people in Lawrence who would go to the very first game at a brand new stadium. It's Kansas..... what else have we to do?

Brian Skelly

As you point out Tom, the only real "answer" to any of this is winning football games. I still fail to see how the powers that be can be okay with this level of unaccountable madness. But they are apparently.

Joe Norgay

I think Zenger and Beaty have just sold Girod on the fact that new facilities will equal more wins. But, it's painfully obvious to even the most casual fan that we've won with worse facilities and that having world class facilities isn't going to do anything but put the KUAD further in debt (yes I'm aware this is privately funded but just wait until the numbers come out at the end).

The Anderson's, Booth's, etc. who are the big fish calling the shots are for some reason ok with a historically awful football team because they feel like they're in the circle and friends with those that are calling the shot so they'll let them survive despite the fact that we continue to be, again, historically one of the worst football programs of all time. It's disgusting really. It's like they're holding KU fans hostage for their own amusement.

Dirk Medema

Blake - You're more optimistic than I am.

Fortunately, Coach Beaty and staff have done a good job of rebuilding the roster (almost 85 again) and developing more Big 12 caliber players (See 5 receiving postseason awards last year). As many will point out there have not been enough Ws but that comes with developing quality depth. You're only as good as your weakest link and P5 teams are way too proficient at finding and exploiting those weak links.

Months ago, when Tom wasn't offended, he even wrote a reasonable article that (inadvertently) showed how the roster was finally reaching the point of stability with about 20 players per class. Now is the time to show the maturation of the program.

Rock Chalk.

Thomas Green

I said from the beginning, I hope they would allow alumni and fans to have some input on the design. I realize this article isn’t really about that, but I’m hopefull the survey will genuinely take into account the public’s thoughts on the design. How much they listen is a question that obviously needs to be answered.

Suzi Marshall

Amen to that.

If we get a winning team, there will be a sorts of money availabile, assuming we do t have a collapse of the financial markets. If we do t win, attendance will never materially pick up.

Robert Brock

KU appears unwilling to invest in football. Ever.

Give it up. Quit - and join the Big East.

Dane Pratt

If football goes by the wayside I'd love to join the Big East. But as long as it is driving college athletics we have to stay put.

Andy Tweedy

I was listening to the radio on the way home and Metallica came on...our intro song no less. That song always makes me think of fall days at Memorial Stadium. But lately, it's just been making me kind of sad. How is it we can't move the needle at all, we're just so pitiful, and I'm just so tired of all the losing...

Kay Jensen

I put myself in the shoes of a 17 year old boy. I would think that having decent facilities would at least keep KU in the hunt with other subpar teams for getting at least mediocre recruits that it takes to win games. Having one of the worst stadiums and football facilities in D1 might be a disqualifier. I get that it won’t put butts in seats right away, but it could be a make it or break it decision for a 17 year old who is deciding on KU vs. Illinois. As of now, we’re not even competing with schools like Duke, Iowa State, or Wake Forest for recruits, which we should be. We have to start somewhere...nothing else is working.

John Brazelton

Upgraded stadiums are primarily for donors, loyal fans who purchase tickets every season and finally recruits who want to play a stadium at least equal to many of the top-notch Texas high school stadiums that rival many college stadiums. If top donors have their luxury boxes where they can hobnob with their business associates and friends, they are happy regardless of what is happening on the field. I've gone to a number of USC games where luxury boxes aren't readily available and most fans are so far from the action that you can't really follow the players, yet fans are happy because they usually win. Then you have to fight the LA traffic to get home.

Steve Jacob

Do what Baylor did, take every questionable character you can, be good for a couple of years, build a new stadium, have it blow up in your face, fire everyone, and suck again in a new stadium.

Cary Ediger

Tom Keegan: Master of beating a dead horse.

I'll summarize the next 20+ football stories Tom writes:
Fire Sheahon Zenger and Fire David Beaty.

Frederick Heckel

The horse isn't dead until those morons are all kicked to the curb.

Mike Bennett

If KU's Chancellor would do his job and actually fire Zenger and Beaty, then that would eliminate the articles. Until then, keep firing away.

Bryce Landon

If I still lived in Kansas, you couldn't pay me to go to a KU football game. I can put up with a subpar stadium if the team is scoring 76 points in Nebraska, but I have no interest in going to a shiny refurbished stadium to watch the Jayhawks barely beat FCS teams and then get their doors blown off week after week by middle-of-the-pack programs.

Here's hoping some of my friends in Iowa hook me up with tickets to see a Hawkeye game in Kinnick Stadium this coming season. ON IOWA!

Bryson Stricker

So you mean to tell me, you're going to sit here and post that you wouldn't come to a KU game but then say you hope you get hooked up with tickets for Iowa?

Their football season tickets are cheaper than ours....

As sad as it may be, the only people KUAD should and does care about are BMD, Ku alumni and Season Ticket holders. Obviously they appreciate the other fans but when it comes to things like this, there is a reason only WF members got this email survey.

You all can sit here and throw your accusations and opinions around but there's a reason the KUAD doesn't read the comments here and it is because the writers here have created a following that doesn't love the university and for a majority isn't any of the previously mentioned things.

Anyways, carry on Tom. You shouldn't be surprised they didn't ask your opinion. You more than likely won't have a job when that time comes.

John Fitzgerald

I'm curious about your final statement...You really think Tom could lose his job because he doesn't agree with what the football program is doing? Is he only supposed to report positive things regardless of anything else that goes on? He's just doing his job and reporting what he sees.

Bryson Stricker

No. I don't think Tom will not have a job because of his reporting of KUFB. But this site has burned bridges with the KUAD and in sight loses a ton of ability to get higher quality media coverage. When was the last time news broke about something here? Every coach in the KUAD reports to someone not on kusports.com first because of the burned bridges. I think there's a good chance we have some new writers here soon, I remember when i first came to KU, they tried to fire Keegan, they'll see it in their numbers again here soon.

John Fitzgerald

Got ya. So because they don't bend down at Zenger's feet and praise him he doesn't give them as much media coverage. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bryson Stricker

KUAD = KU ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT...smh

John Fitzgerald

My bad, I'm not on your level of intelligence. So in other words if Tom doesn't write articles that are of the best interest of the KUAD then he loses media time and should get fired? You do realize this site isn't ran by KU, correct? Their job is write what they see and in a lot of cases their opinions. And I know it's audacious of them but they may have a different opinion than yourself and the KUAD. And with as much grief that you give this site I'm really surprised you still post here. This site simply seems below you.

Jeff Coffman

0-12 is more realistic than a bowl season.

I received the survey, fortunately there were some write in options.

Joe Ross

I agree with Tom's conclusion: WINNING is the best draw for crowds.

But I can't knock the facilities as being a player in improvement. Facilities may attract recruits. Recruits help the program.

Think about it for one moment. Kansas is the worst team in Power 5 football *AAAND* their facilities are horrible? Yep. That's the place recruits want to BE, right?

Kansas has to get everything working in its favor that it can to jump start the program.
Tom is right: Zenger's inability to hire a coach needs to be addressed. But so does the stadium, for crying out loud. Sometimes you have to prime the pump.

Steve Corder

Agreed, yet I believe Tom could use another perspective beyond the coach/AD angle (too often used).

#1: I don't think the administration has any other choice but to move forward with much needed renovations. There are no other options! Should an AD wait for team success? Define "success", 4 wins? a string of 6 win seasons?

#2: It's an "arms race" in all sports. TCU just announced it will be seeking money to complete their east side stadium reno (I've been in their donor lounge before a game....very nice!). OSU is wanting to build a 40-50 million $ baseball complex. OU is wanting to implode Lloyd Noble and relocate to another part of Norman (they can't fill LN now, but that's not their primary concern). BIG & BETTER is the norm and reality today.

#3: Do KU alums and friends want to see second tier facilities, much less recruits (as you pointed out).

#4: Facilities last longer than people's jobs. If there were to be new faces, what candidates want the gig with current facilities and the task to bring in a "winner" AND donor cash. Playing "catch-up" is a tough sell (AD & coach) and falling further behind is not a good option.

#5: It is always best to combine winning and up-grading facilities concurrently. However, that does not have to happen.

#6: Memorial Stadium should have been significantly renovated 20 years ago...and Zenger and Beaty have nothing to do with that.

#7: FINALLY. It's a solid strategy: when in trouble take the focus away from the negativity and offer bold and beautiful projects. I personally hope the current plans will become even larger.

Bryson Stricker

Steve gets it.

Kenny George

Amen!

Brett McCabe

What, exactly, is horrible about KU's facilities when it comes to a recruit? They don't tour them around the stadium and have them pee in a public urinal, just to soak in the beauty. Our strength complex is excellent. The setting around the stadium is one of the best in the country, the practice fields are great, the new athlete apartments are going to be great. Excuses, excuses.....there just aren't enough excuses in the world.

How on earth did Bill Snyder, Glen Mason and Mark Mangino ever make it to a bowl game?

Phil Leister

There's nothing wrong with upgrading the facilities. It has to happen and we do need to catch up with the rest of the pack. But the mistake is thinking that upgrading the facilities will cause the program to win. That's an illogical assumption.

Andy Godwin

Tom, you clearly don't donate to the Williams Fund or at least to the level of people that KU is targeting. I had the wonderful opportunity to complete the survey and for once I was in line with Tom. I could care less about a shiny new stadium at this moment. I want to see a competitive football program that is not ranked near or at the bottom of Division 1 schools. The questions covered from what you would be willing to pay for a seat (none of the options seemed cheap - at least double or more from my current ticket prices) to changing the atmosphere of the game day experience by adding restaurants, bars and retail shopping to the stadium complex. Yes it would be nice to have a stadium with all the amenities including more comfortable seats (if I have to sit on those darn seat backs again ...), wider stairs with rails (I am always amazed more people don't tumble down the stairs), more bathrooms, better concessions, etc., etc. But first and foremost, please provide a football program headed in the right direction and then lets talk about donations.

John Strayer

The list of survey recipients apparently went beyond Williams Fund donors. I received and completed on and I haven't contributed a dime to the Williams Fund. But I have bought several single game tickets.

So...now we know that Tom hasn't 1) contributed to the Williams Fund, or 2) purchased any game tickets.

Brett McCabe

If the band can’t run onto the field from the north end, then start over.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if the survey for the stadium, Zenger’s shining moment, might actually reveal the level of discontent to be so high that Zenger gets fired?

Jay Scott

Brett. We all get that you hate Zenger.

His job security is rock (chalk) solid.

Do you have a plan to cope? Are you getting help?

Joe Ross

Jay likes his own comments. LOL! Always trolling others without saying anything.

Jay Scott

Joe. If you don't say stupid things, you won't have people call them stupid.

Still laughing at your deranged insistence that Perry Ellis and Harrison Barnes are comparable players....

Garry Wright

I am really getting tired of the constant whining and bad bouthing of KU athletics by KU "fans" and especially by some of the writers like Keegan. I've been a KU fan a good number of years longer than Keegan has lived. Do I like the recent number of bad years KU football has endured? No. But neither do I like the constant complaining. One big complaint, KU doesn't spend enough money on football. So KU decides to build a great practice facility and do a huge upgrade to Memorial Stadium. Results, many more complaints. The football team goes through several losing seasons. Results, fans stay home and complain, writers badmouth the program. Does any of that have an effect on the program? Certainly. Look at Iowa State. They've had a pretty sorry football program. What did the fans do? They filled many, if not all, of the stadium seats and stood behind their teams. They remained supportive. The football program is finally making a turn-a-round. No, spending a lot of money on upgrading football facilities will not make a winning team, but it doesn't hurt and KU is investing money into the program. Where else do we invest money? Buy better players? Oh yeah! Spend more money on coaches? Wow! We've spent a ton of money on coaches like a revolving door. Tom Osborne was once asked why KU and KSU didn't have winning football programs. His response was, "You don't keep your coaches long enough." KSU apparently heard that response and have kept Snider a good number of years. He took that program to about as high of a level as you could expect for them. KU continued to have it's coach's revolving door operation in high gear. Result, a football program going about as low as it can get. We all knew that when Beaty was hired that it would take at least five years to see the program begin to turn around. But do we give him that chance? No, we want to continue the coach's revolving door policy as well as want to get rid of the AD. Building or remodeling a stadium will not guarantee a winning program is a given. But would a decent number of fans coming to that stadium and boosting their team help any? Fans getting behind the program would probably help about as much as anything we could do. And writers like Keegan being more supportive rather than so negative wouldn't hurt. The players know what kind of support they are getting. You try to play before constantly empty seats and listen to complaining fans and writers and see how excited you get. I know many will want to rake me over the coals for what I've just said, but doing so will continue to keep those who want to be supportive of KU football from coming out of the woodwork and being supportive. So we continue one of our major problems, lack of fan support.

Jim Stauffer

Great response, Garry. Hang in there. One other point. One of the reasons our door has revolved at the Coaching level is the revolving AD door.
Stability will allow us to reach the level of the talent of these men. Once that level is attained, we can make a decision as to whether it is satisfactory or not.

Matty Broz

How much did KU spend on the Anderson Family Complex? How much money did we spend on the brand new locker rooms? How much did we spend on the new athlete's new apartments? How much are we spending on an indoor practice facility?

The thoughts that anyone who is critical of KU's pathetic handling of football somehow makes them less of a "fan" is beyond insulting. As someone who graduated from KU, what Zenger has done to KU football should have warranted his firing a few seasons ago. He was hired for the sole purpose of fixing football. Congratulations, his picks for head coaches have finished 10-62. If you mock anyone who has a modicum of doubt that we could potentially do better as not "supporting" our University, then you are a fool.

Brett McCabe

What does Tom Osborne know about building a winning football program from scratch? He inherited a national powerhouse. The only reason he wanted KU and KSU to keep coaches is so that he could keep winning. KSU kept Snyder and KU kept Mason. Why? Because they improved the programs, significantly within three years of taking over.

George Johnston

Sorry. That's not true. KSU kept Snyder because he went 5-6 in his second year and 7-4 in this third. The three years before Snyder was hired. the Timid Kitties were 2–9, 0–10–1, and 0–11. Before KSU hired Snyder, the school had the worst overall record in the history of college football. KSU kept Snyder because he wins and started winning quickly (in his 2nd and 3rd years).

Winning leads to long contracts; long contracts don't lead to winning.

The reason KSU has been wining a lot these last three decades is because they got rid of Stan Parrish and Ron Prince after only three seasons each and kept Snyder around because he wins.

John Strayer

Staying with bad coaches is not the solution to the coaching revolving door. KU's problem is starting to stop the revolving door by hiring a quality coach in the first place. Hell...even doing that won't stop the door, because if they are successful at KU they will move on to higher paying jobs and the door continues to revolve.

Kenny George

Tom...we get the idea. You are down on KU football. MOVE ON!
As for the stadium renovation it is critical to have it done. We can only win if we recruit well and we can only recruit well if our facilities are up to date...PERIOD.
As for the venom surrounding the Beaty hire...keep in mind that the hire was made at the recommendation of a committee (alumni) and is not necessarily Zenger's lone doing. Also keep in mind that we were limited as per the Chancellor that we WOULD NOT buy out an existing coaches contract. The only choices at that point would be to go to the SCRAP HEAP of fired coaches, or take a chance on an up and coming assistant. We also need to keep in mind before we blame Beaty that we were so far below the scholarship limits that it was ALWAYS going to take YEARS to rebuild this program the right way and by a coach who actually WANTS to be at KU forever. This rebuild realistically will take 6-8 years and probably more to do correctly. But all of you want to WIN NOW and that take short cuts and
is not sustainable. We got in this mess over a period of years and it will take years to get out of it so BE SUPPORATIVE!

Brett McCabe

It's been three years and the program is worse than ever. Zenger made the hire, don't make excuses for him. There were plenty of coaches who would have taken the job that had....built a program previously, succeeded as a head coach, served as a P5 coordinator or actually accomplished something in the coaching profession. And, while the scholarship base was bad, Beaty has made it worse, not better. I don't support continued ineptitude paired with unbelievable arrogance.

Jay Scott

Name some of those coaches......

John Fitzgerald

I have to admit I'm excited for the newly renovated stadium. But to be honest I'd be even more excited for a bowl game.

Bowl Game > Renovated Stadium

Andy Hess

Tom, I was invited to take their survey a few days ago, and I expressed similar sentiments in the comments section of the survey. Without a competitive program, this stadium upgrade is a tremendous mistake.

Barry Weiss

The late Al Davis had it right....Just Win Baby.

Michael Maris

And, the Raider's still won. But, the franchise still couldn't convince the City of Oakland or the surrounding Community to build a new football Stadium (I'm willing to bet that City of San Francisco and the 49'er Organization probably had some back door shenanigans going on to cause the Oakland Raiders to move). So, they moved to Los Angeles, only to move back to Oakland. And now, they're moving the franchise to Las Vegas.

Sure, Mark Davis is not in the situation that he can afford to build his own stadium. So, he's doing what he can, to keep the franchise and get a new stadium. Raider Nation is pretty wide spread. So, he may get more attendance in Las Vegas (where people can fly in and spend a weekend gambling and catch a game) and fly back home.

But, this Kansas Jayhawk's football team situation has become a true (P5 conference) college athletic fiasco. It's very obvious that the support has NEVER really been there for the football program. And when the University Administration finally hired a "Football AD". Poor Ole Roy "Boy" Williams whined and cried about his Assistants being abused (by not getting comparable raises to what the football program assistant coaches were being paid). When Ole Roy was offered the 2nd opportunity to go back home (to Tobacco Road) and live out his NCAA Coaching Career, he abandoned ship and flew as fast as he could. And, Lew Perkins (who has done his best to kill 2 NCAA Division I Football programs in the State of Kansas) hired Coach Self to replace Ole Roy "Boy" Williams.

Coach Self (on the surface) appears to be totally in support of Kansas AD getting the Football program improved. Because, he know what a competitive football program can do in his recruiting of basketball recruits (just like football coaches taking football recruits to a Jayhawks basketball game).

Basketball recruits would see a lively Fall Season atmosphere that shows excitement to the basketball recruits.

So, the University Administrative levels have dived all of their attention into the Basketball program. Former well known Football Greats have virtually NOTHING to do with the University. I'm referring to a player like John Riggins, I know that Gale Sayers has been active (at least in the recent past) with the Football program. But, where's the players like Gilbert Brown (other than when they honored him), Dana Stubblefield, etc........

It's a sad sad sad situation. And, I guess I just have to rely on that magical 2007 season (for the rest of my adult life).

Chandler Accipiter

I agree with the Roy stuff. The time to invest in the program was the early to mid '90's. Mason had the program ahead of KSU and MU, but never got the facilities or support from the administration. Some of that had to do with Ol' Roy's fragile ego which you hit upon.

I also agree with bringing back the greats and connecting current KU football to its past successes, which I think they have made some effort. But you may want to leave Stubblefield off the invitation list (quick Google search), just sayin'.

Michael Maris

Chandler, I know that Dana Stubblefield has had his personal problems. But, there are a HOST of former NFL players who are still young enough to call upon to have appearances for. I just don't know if they're being contacted on a regular basis to have come back and be Ambassador's for the program. Most successful NCAA Football Programs are utilizing their "Athletic" Alumni membership to make appearance in an Ambassadorship way. Because, their fan base love to see those old faces and meet, greet and talk with them. Introduce their kids, grandkids, etc... and reminisce about those past players tenures.

Brett McCabe

Why on earth should the citizens of Oakland build a new stadium for a billionaire family, so that they can go watch 106 millionaires play a game 8 Sundays a year and pay $8 for a cup of hot chocolate? Professional football stadiums have been proven over and over and over again to be the worst possible use of citizen tax money.

Michael Maris

Brett, I won't disagree with your statements. But just in case you've fallen asleep in the past few decades, that has been the trend in the NFL, NBA and MLB (with the exception of Stan Kroenke). But, I'm not 100% sure that Stan's not using TIF money to help with the construction of his new Football Facility. Even Jerry Jones used TIF money for the construction of Jerry's World.

And, Mark Davis is considered the "Poor Man" of the NFL Ownership group. He does NOT have the $$$$$$$$$$ to build his own stadium. And, how is the stadium in Las Vegas being funded? Taken from Wikipedia "The financing for the project is expected to come in the form of $750 million in public funding and $1.1 billion from the Raiders." Notice it doesn't say that $1.1 Billion is coming from Mark Davis. It said ''the Raiders". So, who's fronting that money for the Raiders? The Tax papers of Clark County, Nevada / Las Vegas.

Chris Condren

Fans will support a competitive Football team. It has taken 9 long year of losing football to go from 50,000 fans at home game to not being able to sell single game tickets for $15 dollars apiece. All of this falls squarely on the well paid shoulders of the KUAD bosses. Fans were more than patient until it became apparent that there is no fun in being a Kansas Football Fan and that the folks running the KUAD have no idea on how to fix the problems. I would love to attend a game in Lawrence and sit in a nice stadium with some fan amenities but not to watch non competitive teams. I believe their are 30,000 people who used to attend games who agree with me.

Matty Broz

No matter how much money the KUAD puts into Memorial Stadium, unless there is a change in the competence level with the AD, head coach and staff, then this will be the equivalent to shining up a turd.

KU can field competitive football (as has been proven on numerous occasions in the past, but to argue that THIS is going to move the needle one iota is a strawman argument that alludes to the possibility that Zenger knows what he's doing. The past 6-7 years have proven that he has no idea what he is doing.

Kevin Robert Fest

If the team is struggling get things behind the scene done. Locker room weight room practice facility stadium. You can't wait until the team is good to upgrade facilities because who knows when that will be. If you decide to upgrade after the dream has success you will be even further behind other program that were upgrading in the meantime. By the time the team has success you are using modern upgraded facilities instead of waiting for them to be build further putting you behind in competitive advantage than other programs.

Bryson Stricker

KEVIN WHO HACKED YOUR ACCOUNT AND STARTED POSTING LOGICAL THINGS!

Kevin Robert Fest

Shut up Bryson go back to what you do best....kissing a**. Called anyone a retard lately that's always brilliant of you. Quick Bryson the football staff might have sent you an email hurry refresh your account to be sure you don't miss it. You hump. How was your kissing booth at the open practice last week any luck getting the coaching staff to come over?

Kevin Robert Fest

Plant the seeds in the fall reap the harvest in the spring.

Freddie Garza

I personally think that firing the football coach and replacing him with a new one every two years is a sure fire way to develop a successful football program.

Brett McCabe

Tell the guy who's done it twice, and still has his job, this. Zenger is on his third coach. HE pulled the quick trigger on Gill. HE hired Weis. HE fired Weis. HE hired an unproven position coach to rebuild a football program, and then let him make things worse.

Kenny George

Beaty was chosen by a committee of alumni donors.

Dane Pratt

It should be done by committee but not by donors. No AD alone should be trusted with this decision.

Dane Pratt

Brett, I can't imagine how unpopular you must have been posting your arguments on this site for Turner Gill to be the head coach for the 2012 season. I'll say this, in hindsight you were right. I think this program would have been much better off if we had held onto him at least another season. At the very least we would have been better positioned to offer Dave Doeren a contract in 2013, the year he went to NC State.

Freddie Garza

I just think that if we're being completely honest with ourselves about the the football product that we have, it's all wishful thinking to believe that we honestly have a shot at luring some head coach away from NC State or Arkansas.

I mean, we've been so delusional in the past as to think that we'd honestly have had a shot at Jim Harbaugh.

I'm of the opinion that this athletic department has GOT to stick by a coach for a good 6 or 7 years, regardless of results on the field, to at least give a guy an opportunity to take what is one of the absolute worst football programs in Division I, and string SOMETHING together.

I'm sure there are countless coaches out there who may be a step up from Beaty, but NONE of them would be interested in taking his position over their current one, at least not for the time being. To me, Beaty should have at least 3 more years to build something here before putting him on the hot seat. We've got to have a bit more self-awareness about the state of our football program and the appeal (or lack thereof) to other potential coaches.

John Fitzgerald

I have a list of coaches that I think would love the new stadium and could actually win in it...

Just a thought...

Michael Maris

Dave Doeren (NC State HC) – Doeren just got a new extension. I doubt he's leaving Raleigh, North Carolina anytime soon. I'm sure that his family enjoys the winters in Raleigh way more than what the winters in Kansas are typically like.

Chad Morris (was SMU HC now Arkansas HC) – I'm sure that Arkansas can match any dollar thrown at Morris. And, why would Morris abandon ship this early. Kansas would have a better chance of hiring the former Arkansas Head Coach now (than Chad Morris). Also, see my comments above comments about winters in Lawrence, Kansas (as well).

Craig Bohl (Wyoming HC) – Brett McCabe has covered Craig Bohl extensively over these past months. Coach Bohl knows how to build a program. However, Josh Allen falling into Coach Bohl's laps are just one of those things that happens periodically in NCAA. And, we will see how well Josh Allen does in the NFL. I'm not wishing him any bad luck. But, the NFL is a hell of a lot different than playing at Wyoming and against the league competition that Wyoming plays against.

Jay Scott

American style Football is dying. It won't exist at all in 25 years.

Any new football stadium being built in America without a vision toward REAL football (AKA - The Beautiful Game) being played in it is folly.

Dane Pratt

And here we are without a men's soccer team.

Randy Bombardier

I look at it this way. The AD ay think this will take years to accomplish, giving him more time, something to out on his resume. Might try to milk this for 5 years or more. I hope everyone who can make this happen does indeed make this happen on a very aggressive timetable so that we can move on and get a winning program. In short the sooner this is done, the sooner Zenger and Beaty are gone.

Jerry Ryan

Steve gets it. No guarantee a nice stadium equals wins. No guarantee an orange bow win gets stadium renovation. Tom is too triggered to write fairly and objectively and needs the be fired. No actual KU alum likes the state of KU football. But many of us want to see improvements and will support the KU effort regardless. Keegan needs to find another source for his happy place because he and his song birds are not the majority - and the donations prove that. Want change? Donate and get a seat at the table. Otherwise, STFU and watch quietly.

['']

KU Football has better facilities than U of Ohio yet Frank Solich would beat a Beaty-coached team 40 out of 40 times in any venue you choose.

Kenny George

After reading all of this I conclude that small minds point fingers and don't have the guts to do what is right. If you all want to be associated with sub par facilities then we will never cross over to being a serious football program. Quit blaming our current staff for decades of abuse of our football program/stadium. We must at some point...NOW...put all of that behind us and support the program. One more firing will only set us back further. Get that through your thick heads!

['']

Actually , another 1-11 season will set us back far worse than an immediate firing. That 1-11 season is coming in a few short months so don't you worry.

Layne Pierce

Frankly KU sports programs are a mess. Volleyball, women's tennis, the track teams, and basketball. amd soccer. That's all folks. Otherwise, baseball sucks, women/s softball not a single B12 win.

You know what our facilities are pretty damn good, our teams suck. So draw your own conclusions.

As a life long KU supporter this is extremely painful, and everyone should not attend the football games until it is rectified. Let alone shell out for the most wonderful empty stadium in America.

RCJH

Maria Ungaro

Somebody call me when we finally move to the Big 10 Conference.

In particular - Big 10 WEST Division:

1) Wisconsin, 2) Northwestern, 3) Iowa, 4) Purdue, 5) Nebraska, 6) Minnesota, 7) Illinois, & 8) Kansas.....

There more chances for victories than getting clobbered in the BIG 12 every Saturday.