OL Alex Fontana joins KU football as grad transfer

Kansas University football recruiting

When the Kansas football team opens preseason camp in a couple of weeks, a veteran with starting experience will join the fray along the offensive line.

A graduate transfer from the University of Houston, Alex Fontana is eligible to play this fall for the Jayhawks, Jon Kirby of Jayhawk Slant reported.

A 6-foot, 305-pound lineman originally from Toronto, Canada, Fontana sat out the 2017 season at Houston due to injury.

In 2016, though, Fontana appeared in 11 games for the Cougars and started five. In his lone season playing at UH, Fontana finished third on the team with 32 knockdown blocks and received a 75 percent grade on 537 snaps.

His college football carer began at New Mexico Military Institute, where he was the starting center.

In 2016 he garnered a two-star rating from Rivals before signing with Houston.

KU offensive line coach A.J. Ricker worked at Houston in 2016, when Fontana played a key role there.

Fontana, who graduated from UH in May and has been at KU since June, has experience playing both guard and center.

He will compete with KU junior Andru Tovi for the starting center job.

Comments

Bryson Stricker

Ain't gonna be much competing. He's gonna be starting Center.

He has two years to play FYI.

Dirk Medema

Thanks for the 2 years to play knowledge.

It also could be a huge blessing in disguise that Tovi was basically forced to play OC this Spring. Even if he doesn't get to start, we undoubtedly will need a back-up that knows what they're doing at some point during the season.

John Fitzgerald

We now have plenty of OL bodies we just need the coaching to come together.

Kevin Robert Fest

Good news another body for the most depleted groups on the team. If this year is like last year going to need a lot of bodies. They shouldn't get used to only playing one position either. Lots of switching of positions due to injuries unfortunately.

Dirk Medema

I'm recalling an article this past Spring about Ricker having the philosophy of teaching each player the roles of all the OL positions. At the time, it was mentioned that it helps each player to understand why the next guy is doing what, but you are right that there commonly is shuffling when a player goes down with an injury.

John Fitzgerald

Also, anyone know the status of Reuben Lewis? He is/was a JUCO OL recruit and showed signed with KU. And from what I saw he looks pretty solid. I ask because Tom didn’t mention him when breaking down the OL roster.

Jerry Ryan

Imagine the owner up anger and spin coming from Tom Keegan soon

Kenny George

Tom is too busy finding our next coach to have details about Reuben Lewis!

Pius Waldman

Well ole Tom feels he forced the AD fire. So with that success why not try the coach and he also will find the replacement. Tom fans want to point out he gets results. Maybe he will but maybe not.

Brad Avery

Maybe KU can now have its spring game in the fall.

Dirk Medema

There is quite a bit of change on the OL in particular since Spring. I wonder if there will be an article about it. A previous void could be turning into a strong unit.

Bryson, Do you have a rundown on who will be on the OL? Thoughts on a 2 deep?

This also shows one way that Coach Beaty has really shown his recruiting ability. Some commenters love to criticize him because this class ranking and that class ranking, but he has brought in some many players that have been significant contributors through Blueshirts, grad transfers, etc. that were never been a part of a class ranking. And so many of t(most of?) the grad transfers and JC's have at least been on campus for an extra Spring training if not an entire extra year of eligibility.

That would make another quality article, but then we don't want to go about writing positives and mess-up the whole replace Beaty mantra.

The "Beaty Mantra" comment is not directed at you Benton. IMO, you have been one of the most objective writers, and I for one really appreciate it. I look forward to your articles, though I have stopped reading or even licking on what I consider to be ignorant, demeaning, and destructive articles.

The best comment I've heard from Long is we need to support our team. It is a shame he has to say it, and even more so that we need to hear it. Rock Chalk!

['']

Bhahhaha. You are relying on getting your KUFB news from Bryson??? Why? Cuz he thinks Beaty talks to him telepathically? Pffftttt. That made my whole weekend.

Kevin Robert Fest

Lmao Brilliant.

Watch out ["] Cryson will be coming for you. This is the depth of Cryson's expertise.

I follow KUFB very seriously because as an alum, it is a team I care deeply about and CFB is my favorite sport. I haven't missed a game in the past 5 years and have watched every minute including the unbearable ones of our team since I've attended.
1. Attended KU
2. CFB is his favorite sport
3. Hasn't missed a game in 5 years

Gawd

Sounds like ESPN will be calling soon to add him to College Game Daty.

Kevin Robert Fest

*Day

['']

Whoa. Wow BryBry....try talking to a girl.....

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Dirk Medema

What?

Telepathy?

Oh, out of that entire post you pick out the question to Bryson, which bothers you because you disagree with him in general.

Do you have a rundown on who will be on the OL? Thoughts on a 2 deep?

To Bryson's credit, he has had good information about the team apparently because he knows some of the players on the team. What is your source of info on the team? What good knowledge do you have to offer? Any?

Kevin Robert Fest

Hahaha

Hey Dirk why does ["] joke about Bryson bother YOU so much? Being friends with the players on the team doesn't give Bryson inside information it makes him sycophant that thinks he knows more than everybody. Imagine this a grown man trying to be friends with teenagers and players that are in their early twenties, because they play on his favorite football team. What's Bryson going to do when he loses his status when a new coach comes in and doesn't want him near the team.

Mike Hart

Dirk: clearly Kevin has no thoughts on a 2-deep OLine. SINce he can’t answer, he resorts to trying to ridicule you. So to answer you’re question: “No”. Kev has no idea on a 2-deep OL.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

['']

Hell anyone can say they have good info from a source - but how credible are they? His replies always sound like they were written by Beaty's Fan Club President and trying to too hard persuade us all to think how great Beaty is doing....which shreds his credibility immediately.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Jeff Coffman

So 4 years into recruiting we are pulling 10% of our recruits as grad transfers, 50% are Jucos, and the remaining are high school recruits. I'm all for a strategic approach, but this isn't a plan.

Mike Hart

Our current roster Is 50% Wow.... that’s a stretch. Well let’s see... if all the 2018 has players are signed and we have roster spots... I guess we should not be filling them with grad transfers and anyone else who might’ still be available. I mean... why try to improve the team?

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Jeff Coffman

Um.. are you all saying Tom got zenger fired? Zenger got himself fired. Look at his football record.

Owens Smithson

In case anyone wonders just how serious to take Brybry Stricker's #Insider information, this gives you a clue to what you are dealing with:

"Idk about all of you and I’m sure some of you care more about KUFB than the whole CFB picture but personally I worship CFB and have given my allegiance to KU.

I don’t go out on fridays during the fall. I get off work, go home, lock my door and start watching CFB pump up videos until I fall asleep. It’s more than just a Saturday for me and I’m sure many of you share the same. I wake up at 7:58 to my “football doesn’t sleep” alarm. Turn on Gameday and make breakfast as “we’re coming to your city” is blaring through my TV.

I tailgate, I do all the pregame festivities but when the campanile bell rings, I get in a weird zone. A zone that I’m no longer brybrystrick but I’m the mother****in 12th man (not the only one) but I care about every step and every snap until the clock hits 0.

This season sucked the worst because I know, I don’t think, I know that we had the talent to go 6-6. We truly ****ing did. Watching us not only struggle but actually fail literally took a huge emotional toll on me as I’m sure it did some of you and even to the point KEEGAN now rants about KUFB on his website.

I don’t know about y’all, but the Baylor game this year was the Hardest thing to watch. ISU & TCU we were just plain awful against good teams. But Baylor was miserable. I sat in my seat for a good hour after the game looking like Meacham @ tcu just in utter shock about what happened. I had to be asked to leave by crowd control people and i quite literally didn’t want to. Kept looking back at the scoreboard waiting for the score to change.

TLDR. We are all so ****ing invested in this team that it sucks. At this point we gain nothing bitching about it and wanting him fired. Supporting can’t make us worse."
BryBryStrick
January 30 2018

John Fitzgerald

Good to know he’s a passionate fan. I am too. Love the program even though it hits me in the gut more often than not.

Owens Smithson

So does Alex Fontana have 2 years to play, like Bryson claims?

Bryson Stricker

I couldn’t even begin to tell you what our 2 deep looks like because competition for that stuff pours very far into the fall.

Fontana will start at center. Adeniji @ LT, Tovi LG & more than likely Feder at RT. Our guys are getting pushed by the new guys so if one of our previous guys is the one that plays, I’ll be confident that they are ready.

S/o to the guy who learned how to use copy & paste. Welcome to 2018!!

Mike Hart

I believe Fontana has just one year, Bryson. According to UH, when he went there in 2016, he had 2 years of eligibility. One used in 2016... and one available this year in 2018, as he was injured in 2017.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

['']

Mike -- please don't correct BryBry -- NO ONE knows more fake facts than he does.

4 months, 3 weeks ago