3-star juco CB Justin Ford becomes 8th commitment in KU's 2019 class

Kansas University football recruiting

The Kansas football team’s 2019 recruiting class grew to eight on the eve of college football’s early signing period when Justin Ford, a junior college cornerback from Golden West College (Calif.), announced Tuesday night his plans to sign with the Jayhawks.

In a tweet in which he stated he is “106 percent” committed to KU, the 6-foot-1, 180-pound sophomore wrote, “I have no doubt in my mind that this will be the best decision I have made and I have zero regrets.”

Rivals rates Ford as a three-star juco prospect. Originally from Concord, N.C., the defensive back who graduated from Cox Mill High has as many as three years to complete his final two seasons of eligibility.

With both Ford and D-lineman Caleb Sampson pledging to KU on the day before they are able to sign, they joined quarterback Thomas MacVittie and receivers Andrew Parchment and Ezra Naylor as juco prospects committed to Kansas.

The other three KU recruits are from the prep ranks: defensive back Jayden Russell, athlete Mason Fairchild and defensive lineman Da’Jon Terry.

KU football’s new head coach, Les Miles, stated back in November he anticipated his first recruiting class would have roughly 15 signees.

College football recruits can sign this week, from Wednesday through Friday, or wait until National Signing Day, on Feb. 6.

by Justin Ford 6️⃣Glizzy

Comments

David Robinett

LES-ez les bontemps roulez!!

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Brett McCabe

This is what a smart football program looks like. Get used to it. Let it wash over you.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Mike Bennett

Why? I don't know how you can make any conclusion based on 8 commitments, 5 jucos, when we just finished blasting the last guy for going to JUCO heavy.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Steven Haag

Please explain your comment Brett. 65% Juco. Good Lord, if this was Beaty, we would never hear the end of it. I get it, he’s gone, and rightfully so, I’m on board with that, but 5 Juco’s, 3 high school 5 three star and 3 two star.......explain the “smart football” part

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Dirk Medema

No worries Steven. Brett will be back to quitting on the team the first time a lesticle doesn't work out for us.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Jeff Coffman

106% with no regerts

Still loaded on JUCOs, not sure about that unless if there is a blue shirt or two.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Mike Hart

I do have to chuckle... My thoughts on the signing: I DO like the CB addition... but yes, Dirk Mediema and Steven Haag know why I am chuckling. I am happy with the coaching staff, happy with the signings... happy for the fan base optimism but definitely amused by the inconsistent, befuddling alacrity and blanket approval from certain unnamed posters. RCJH!

4 weeks, 1 day ago

Mike Bennett

Miles gets a free pass on recruiting this year since he got in the game late. I know we just finished blasting the last coach for being so JUCO heavy in recruiting, yet we praise Miles when 5 of his first 8 commitments are JUCO's. A little hypocritical to me. However, like I said, he gets a 1 yr free pass.

4 weeks, 1 day ago

David Robinett

Geez, most people are willing to give 110% not 106% :-(

4 weeks ago

Jack Hoff

We also have to take into account Les Miles is tossing out PWO offers to local kids like crazy! Lots of talented kids who will play on special teams and some who will make an impact early on on offense or defense even. I think the whole JUCO thing is being way over blown. I said that about Beaty as well. The roster was being built up numbers wise with Beaty and he did a good job identifying Juco's with a lot of eligibility and who would stick in the program. Weis did a terrible job managing the roster and somehow everyone became an expert on how to build and manage a roster. Getting juco athlete's is apart of the recruiting process if it can be done the right way and by identifying the right character guys. Not everybody is a lazy quick fix dick like Weis was. Roster will be fine. It has been fine. Totally agree with Mike on the blanket approval for the same thing Beaty was doing. Maybe what Beaty was doing wasn't so bad after-all then?

4 weeks ago