Jayhawks crushed against Central Michigan, 45-27

Central Michigan running back Devon Spalding (13) runs past KU defenders for a touchdown in the second-half of CMU’s win over KU Saturday, Sept. 9 at Memorial Stadium.

Any momentum the Kansas football team picked up last week in a season-opening victory disappeared during a 45-27 loss to Central Michigan on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

In his second career start, Central Michigan senior quarterback Shane Morris shredded KU’s pass defense with 467 passing yards, five touchdowns and zero interceptions. Morris, a graduate transfer from Michigan, completed 28 of his 37 passes and added 32 rushing yards.

The Jayhawks (1-1) were inconsistent on offense, scoring only six points in the first half. Junior quarterback Peyton Bender was 32-of-62 passing for 323 yards and two interceptions. Senior tight end Ben Johnson (7 catches, 57 yards), freshman Quan Hampton (six catches, 67 yards) and junior Ryan Schadler (6 catches, 60 yards) were his main targets.

True freshman running back Dom Williams highlighted KU’s rushing attack with 18 carries for 64 yards and two scores. Schadler added a 33-yard rushing touchdown on a reverse.

CMU receiver Mark Chapman had eight catches for 168 yards and three touchdowns, while Corey Willis had eight receptions for 140 yards and a score.

Defensively, the Jayhawks didn't record a sack. Senior linebacker Joe Dineen led with 12 tackles (9 solo) and 2.5 tackles for loss.

Related document

Box score: Central Michigan 45, Kansas 27 ( .PDF )

Here’s a quick look back at some of the action:

The game turned when: Central Michigan scored on its final two drives of the first half. The Chippewas turned their four-point lead into a 24-6 advantage at halftime with a few big plays.

First it was a 40-yard touchdown pass from Morris to junior tight end Logan Hessbrook, who caught the ball along the sideline and broke a tackle.

After an interception, the Chippewas marched 90 yards in the final minutes of the second quarter, completing the eight-play drive with a six-yard touchdown pass from Morris to Willis.

During those two scoring drives, Morris completed 7 of his 10 passes for 145 yards.

Offensive highlight: Looking to make up ground at the start of the second half, Schadler gave KU’s offense life with a 33-yard touchdown run on a reverse. He showed off his track background when he took the pitch from Dom Williams and saw plenty of space ahead of him.

Behind a few big blocks from Ben Johnson, Hakeem Adeniji and Chase Harrell, Schadler cut toward the sideline and went untouched on his way to the end zone for his first score of the season.

Defensive highlight: Following Schadler’s touchdown at the beginning of the third quarter, KU’s defense forced a three-and-out punt with a tackle on third down from Dineen.

Frankly, after allowing 590 yards, including 467 through the air, there weren’t many highlights to choose from.

Key stat: Points off turnovers. The Chippewas scored 14 points off of a pair of interceptions from Bender, while the Jayhawks turned a Central Michigan lost fumble into a field goal.

The first interception, grabbed by senior defensive back Josh Cox, helped the Chippewas find their rhythm on offense. On the ensuing possession, Morris found Chapman on a 14-yard TD pass, their first offensive score of the night.

Up next: For the first time this season, the Jayhawks will play a game outside of Lawrence. Kansas will travel to Ohio at 1 p.m. Saturday, looking to snap a 44-game losing streak on the road.

HOW THEY SCORED

FIRST QUARTER

1:29 — Gabriel Rui 23 field goal. Twelve-play drive for 66 yards, in 4:08. (KU 3, CMU 0.)

SECOND QUARTER

13:00 — Michael Armstrong 27 field goal. Nine-play drive for 66 yards, in 3:29. (KU 3, CMU 3.)

10:57 — Mark Chapman 14 pass from Shane Morris. Armstrong kick. Four-play drive for 49 yards, in 1:33. (CMU 10, KU 3.)

4:35 — Rui 33 field goal. Nine-play drive for 21 yards, in 2:10. (CMU 10, KU 6.)

2:59 — Logan Hessbrook 40 pass from Morris. Armstrong kick. Four-play drive for 83 yards, in 1:31. (CMU 17, KU 6.)

0:06 — Corey Wilis 6 pass from Morris. Armstrong kick. Eight-play drive for 90 yards, in 1:05. (CMU 24, KU 6.)

THIRD QUARTER

13:54 — Ryan Schadler 33 run. Rui kick. Four-play drive for 75 yards, in 1:06. (CMU 24, KU 13.)

8:50 — Dom Williams 1 run. Rui kick. Eight-play drive for 66 yards, in 3:17. (CMU 24, KU 20.)

5:48 — Devon Spalding 1 run. Armstrong kick. Seven-play drive for 73 yards, in 2:55 (CMU 31, KU 20.)

FOURTH QUARTER

13:29 — Chapman 7 pass from Morris. Armstrong kick. Eleven-play drive for 91 yards, in 4:58. (CMU 38, KU 20.)

10:02 — Williams 2 run. Rui kick. Thirteen-play drive for 62 yards, in 3:26. (CMU 38, KU 27.)

9:50 — Chapman 75 pass from Morris. One-play drive for 75 yards, in 0:12. (CMU 45, KU 27.)

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Central Michigan

Comments

Jeff Scully

Pathetic!

Len Shaffer

Exactly the word that came to mind for me.

David Kemp

Wow what can you say about this game. Defense noneexistant. Hated to believe a team can find this many bad players in the entire country. Armstrong is no all American. We need to fire Bowen first and revamp from there.

Len Shaffer

I don't think you can blame Armstrong for this debacle. It's not like he forgot how to play overnight. The problem is that he was being consistently double-teamed, and if there are not enough other players playing well, there's only so much that Armstrong can do.

Chris Bailey

I agree, Bowen should NOT be the DC. He's only in the position because he's the hometown boy. And yeah I love the guy but he can be used elsewhere it doesn't have to be at DC.

Michael Leiker

Same Bowen defense as every year, bad out of the gates, gets better as the season progresses but by that time the competition is too good to make a difference. Agree, it's way past time.

Dirk Medema

Definitely fire the coach. This time it might only take 3 years to get an FBS roster.

Wait, we're still less than a full roster. Fire the coach anyway.

Len Shaffer

You would think after being a KU football fan for 40 years that I wouldn't still be so easily duped. But I still tend to believe that "this time things will be different." Sadly, it's still KU football ...

Chris Bailey

I know I'm gonna sound like a fair weather fan and I'm willing to take the heat. I just can't take this losing crap anymore. This is pathetic. I don't want to hear excuses. I'm tired of hearing it. Just finish the season, bring kstate to town so we can get pummeled and bring on basketball! Gawd! I wrestled in high school! Which sport do you think I played football or basketball? Yes I truly am a college basketball fan but I LOVE college football. I've watched College Game Day since I was a teen. I wanna watch a quality product. Is that too much to ask? Every year we're spoon fed the same crap by you guys and every year we SUCK! Are you guys blind in your assessments or just overly optimistic? You get paid to write about sports. I'm just a fan but as a fan I can see we aren't a very good team. Sure we've improved but we are nowhere near a team that will compete in any of the major conferences not even second tier. We stink. Plain and simple. After our D-Line leaves early we're really gonna suck. Why the hell cant we bring Mangino back as a OC? Is that beneath him? I mean he coached there at ISU so why not here?!! I don't get it. Beaty and Mangino did some pretty incredible things together. Sure it would be tough to be your former bosses boss but it can be done. We've tried everything else and sucked at it so why not this?? I donno I'm just tired of looking like a laughing stock. (Please grammar police be gentle I'm not proofreading as I'm putting in the effort our team fod today).

David Kemp

I totally agree. I really thought this year would be better and why isn't Baldwin playing. Frazier got beat almost every play. Until we have an oline we will lose!

Chris Bailey

It's just pathetic. Glad I'm not the only one who's sick of losing to teams that aren't even good.

David Kemp

It is impossible to be this bad every year!

Chris Bailey

I really think we as fans could've put a better product on the field by now.

Larry Jackson

Clyde McCauley III certainly can NOT do any worse than the performance Frazier displayed against CMU. Give the guy a break and play 'em. Why not?

David Kemp

Agree why is there not a better o lineman

Jason Musick

Need to give Beaty one more year before they fire him. I am nervous about Big 12 play. Can't even imagine what the lop sided scores could be.

David Kemp

WE can't afford one more year or program will never comeback

Chris Bailey

I said Bowen not Beaty. I don't know if Beaty is great either but Bowen needs replaced ASAP.

John Fitzgerald

I hear you brother. Stay strong.

Robert Brock

The Chippewas are w

Robert Brock

ell-coached and are somewhat organized. The Jayhawks look disheveled.

Jason Musick

Time to fire the Defensive Coordinator. I have a great respect for Bowen as a player at Kansas and a person. But as a Coach. He is holding his defense back. This was no Big 12 opponent today. It was a Mac team that put up 500 yards of Offense today that is picked to finish 5th in there conference.

David Kemp

Hip hooray for that!

Chris Bailey

100% AGREE!

Layne Pierce

This game simply emphasizes that we do not have any real plan for winning. All we have to do is average 28 points a game and hold our opponents to 27. To do that we need to recruit enough decent players, which we are starting to do, but we also need to use everything, including the clock, and limiting the time our opponents can have the ball. For us, the high powered offense idea is just not there. If we get a quarter back who can throw well enough, then he cannot run, and our line is insufficient. We need a balanced disciplined offense, and yes I know I;m just playing to keep down the score, but in that there is a chance to win. I love Beatty, and I love Bowen, and Meacham is a great guy, but if we don't find a way to win that is within our means, we are never going to break this curse we live under.

How do mediocre teams make us look so bad? How do quarterbacks always have career days against us? Use the clock more, it gives the defense some rest time. Three passes and a punt simply does not work for us.

David Kemp

Agree that lack of a mobile qb is a killer when ur line is this bad, but all aside ksu does well because they have a plan and control the game, bot heater skelter

Larry Jackson

I drink the poisoned, blind, overly optimistic kool aid doled out every preseason by this supposed professional journal staff in regard to KU football. Every single year I end up puking. Bender reminds me so much of Heaps in every single aspect I could scream. With no O-line mobility is the QB's best friend, which Bender knows absolutely nothing of. How long will Beaty stick with this slow, flat footed, non-football playing QB? There's a reason Bender is here, this whole debacle is the 2nd coming of Crist, Heaps, etc... And please don't even get me started on Bowen's non-ability to judge f-ball talent.

Jason Hiatt

You can kiss the Louisiana commits goodbye

David Kemp

Yeah what kid wants to play with inept coaching

Chris DeWeese

I'm questioning whether or not Beaty gave Carter Stanley a fair shake during the off season. Bender threw for over 300 yards again, which is good, but no TDs and 2 INTs. That just can't continue. Stanley can extend plays and make things happen with his feet. I felt as though Stanley was coming into his own last season, and I would have liked to see him build off of that this season. I guess he's injured, so the point is moot at this stage. I'm just shaking my head, saying to myself, "here we go again."

Larry Jackson

Agreed!

Jack Brooks

The team looked and played like the coaches gave them the week off instead of practicing.

Bowen, we definitely appreciate your devotion to KU, but your record/on-field results show coaching really isn't your thing. please, if you love KU, resign the coaching position and go be a donor relations guy.

Thomas Green

I think for my own personal sanity, I'm going to have to step away from anything Jayhawk Football related! I truly do not want to-I keep hoping against hope-but how much disappointment can one take? Obviously, something has to change, but it seems so broken and no end in sight! So sad and heartbreaking really!

Brad Richardson

Thomas, you completely stated my sentiments. No need for me to say more!

Marius Rowlanski

really surprised by how easy it was to to shred the KU defense and the pass defense in particular.
We aren't even a decent FCS program?

David Kemp

Given our history are u really surprised?

Brett McCabe

Random thoughts:

I've frequently defended our defense. Not today. The offense was nonexistent in the first half - when it counted - but the defense was the worst I've seen since the Perine game.

One thing to remember, the kids on the field are just that and they are working as hard as anyone else in the country to try and succeed.

Looking forward, keep in mind that in our 44-man two-deep, we lose two players at the end of the year (assuming Dorance goes pro). Though this fact may not make us good, it might make us competitive.

If we go 1-11, which is a real possibility, things are going to get a little dicey.

John Fitzgerald

That was simply embarrassing. I have nothing else to say.

Ryan Shelton

Yes, the defense sucked, but we lost this game in the first quarter when we had second down from the one and didn't try to just punch it in straight ahead. Surely we have a couple of plays where the QB is under center? Some kind of a goal line package? Throw in a fullback with an ISO play. A quarterback sneak? At worst, run a play action off of it. Something. If we can't gain a yard going straight ahead in two plays, then we don't deserve a touchdown. Going from the shotgun five yards off the line of scrimmage at the goal line to run the ball gives the defensive line too much time. It almost necessitates a throw, and don't get me started on the fade. I'm going to go get drunk.

David Kemp

Said same thing get cute at 1 yrd line and end up 3 points inept coaching!

Scott Burton

Payton Bender stayed in

Scott Burton

pocket the whole game

David Kemp

If you listened to pressor Beatty said bender needs to pull it down and run when everybody is covered.

Larry Jackson

Obviously Bender cannot run. He is so slow his 40 is timed with a calendar.

Barry Weiss

we really, really do suck at football.