KU football coach David Beaty 'not at all' concerned about contract or future with program

Kansas head coach David Beaty runs off the field following the Jayhawks' 38-9 loss to Baylor on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2017 at Memorial Stadium. Before Saturday's game, Baylor was winless on the season.

Two days after his team dropped a home game to previously winless Baylor, extending the current Kansas football losing streak to eight games, head coach David Beaty wasn’t feeling concerned about the status of his contract.

“I’m not at all. I feel great,” Beaty said Monday morning on the Big 12 coaches media teleconference, when asked about his future moving forward, now close to 11 months after signing a contract extension with KU that runs through the 2021 season and includes a $3 million buyout.

“When we came to this place,” Beaty continued, “we made it very clear we were not going to take any shortcuts. We weren’t going to go sign entire classes of junior college guys and try to get a quick fix. We had seen kind of what that had done and we had said, when I came here, I said, 'You’re going to have to give me my contract to get things taken care of here,' because that’s how you build it. You build it with high school players that have been in your program for four to five years. And right now I look at our roster of scholarship guys who are playing, basically that are fourth- or fifth-year guys and there are eight of them — we have eight.”

Referring to KU upperclassmen such as redshirt juniors Joe Dineen, Daniel Wise and Josh Ehambe, and seniors Ben Johnson, Kellen Ash and John Wirtel to make his point, Beaty said his roster lacks the experienced depth of the player personnel at Iowa State or TCU.

The third-year Kansas coach, whose recored stands at 3-30 entering this week’s trip to Texas, said his mentor, Rice head coach David Bailiff, always told him, “You win with juniors and seniors.”

In Saturday’s 38-9 loss to Baylor (1-8 overall, 1-5 Big 12), Kansas (1-8, 0-6) started four sophomores and a freshman on the offensive line, redshirt sophomore Carter Stanley at quarterback, sophomore Khalil Herbert at running back, senior Ben Johnson at tight end and three juniors at receiver: Steven Sims Jr., Jeremiah Booker and Tyler Patrick.

KU’s defense started eight juniors and three sophomores.

“The truth is we still have a lot of young guys here, a lot of young guys that we’re still in the process, and our A.D. (Sheahon Zenger) has certainly understood that and still understands it. He’s been incredibly supportive as well as our chancellor (Douglas Girod) has,” Beaty stated. “From our standpoint, we feel great about that. There’s absolutely no indication of anything different. That was the plan all along, that it’s a process, not an event.”

Asked for his perspective on Beaty's comments, Zenger released the following statement Monday evening: "When we hired David we knew it was going to be a long process considering the roster numbers we were dealing with at that time. Now we are living through that process, and I know it’s difficult for everyone — players, coaches, staff, donors and fans. David knows the goal is to win, and I have faith, as I did the day we hired him, that he will rebuild this program the right way. I know from experience that coaching continuity and upgrading facilities equal to our peers are critical to the building of a successful Power 5 program, which is what we all want.”

Through nearly three seasons, Beaty’s KU teams have won a single game against Big 12 or FBS competition. That victory came in November 2016, less than a month before he signed his contract extension.

Comments

Daniel Kennamore

The fact that he feels so secure points to how inept the AD's leadership has been.

Any other job on the planet if you failed as hard as Beaty has you'd know without a doubt you'd be shown the door soon.

The AD down to every single coach needs to be fired. Time to clean house and remove all these people that think losing is okay. We have a culture of failure right now and minor adjustments or 'wait and see' no longer cut it.

Brian Wilson

ROFLMAO, Im gonna say I told you so. Leave Beatty the F alone. The Junior and Senior classes are so light in true scholarship players we might as well be playing HS ball. If you fire Beatty now it will destroy KU for another five years. You must....I repeat, you must leave the current Freshman and Sophomore classes in place with their head coach until the Sophomores make it to their senior year and the three classes below them have 20 plus true scholarship players. Once that happens, KU will begin to have a team again.

Gordon Penny

I have mentioned this same point in other discussions, but noone seems to agree....

Brian Wilson

"right now I look at our roster of scholarship guys who are playing, basically that are fourth- or fifth-year guys and there are eight of them — we have eight.”

Eight...Eight....players that have four years of experience. Unfreaknbelieveable. You should have almost 25

Brett McCabe

Baylor’s roster was younger than ours. And they killed us in our stadium. Shocked there was not a press conference today.

John Strayer

Yes...and their QB was a true freshman...making his first start maybe??? And he shredded our defensive backfield. Dude was playing high school football one year ago....

Jim Williamson

After losing to Missouri, Mangino also said that he was looking forward to coaching next season.

My grandmother used to call this "whistling through the graveyard."

He's done. He's aware.

John Fitzgerald

1.) I work at KU and I've heard around the horn that Beaty and Zenger are staying put for at least another year. It's Girod's first year as Chancellor and I'm assuming he just doesn't want to deal with football at the moment. The only way I see Beaty and Zenger getting fired this year is if a big time donor fronts some cash to cover their buyouts and threatens to stop donating if it's not taken care of.

2.) http://coacheshotseat.com/

3.) I think Beaty and Zenger should both be fired. And I think the excuse that we can't get a good quality good coach if we fire them is BS. We're in the Big 12, we're getting a new stadium, we have a beautiful campus, we have talented players on the roster, and we do have money to give. If you look at the past 3 hires none of them had shown the ability to be a quality HC at the D1 level before they came here. It's not the firing that is the issue, it's the hiring.

Chris Bailey

I just heard the very same thing. I heard that he isn't going anywhere. His team has very little talent above the freshman class so they have no one to bring the players along. Not sure I buy that but that's what I'm hearing.

Whitney Tangeman

I find it quite ironic that Beaty is #4 (last week #2) on the coacheshotseat.com list, while Beaty's mentor David Bailiff (as mentioned in the article) is #11 on the list. Hmmmm.

John Fitzgerald

I think the only reason Beaty moved from #2 to #4 is because they know he won't be fired this year and other coaches stand a better chance of losing their jobs. If they were going off coaches that deserve to be fired he would easily be #1. They make a joke of us every weekend. It's insulting.

Brett McCabe

Add Sumlin to that list....

Brett McCabe

Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Girod had to see those empty stands on Saturday, had to see the results on the field and must be feeling some heat from all sorts of alumni, not just the rich ones.

While he may be a little gun-shy, I think he's making the long play. He'll let Beaty hang himself with blowout losses at Texas and OSU and a blowout of epic proportions two weeks from now in front of the Dineen family, the parents of the cheerleading squad, some fraternity pledges being made to go to the game as a form of hazing and the security staff.

We might all actually do well to boycott the game to send a message to Girod....we're sick and tired of being sick and tired with our football team.

Andy Tweedy

Of all the things that Beaty can defend, you point to one that he simply has no answer to...the empty seats. Nobody cares any more, we're all sick of losing!

Adam Engelbrecht

To be fair, if he was winning, there wouldn't be empty seats like there are now. Believe me, I was a student from 2004-2009.

Gerry Butler

Are you sure we are getting a new stadium? - - -You got the money we need to rebuild it? - -Are you so sure that the boosters are going to front the money when they are seeing nothing on their return? -If I'm a booster you best be showing me some results for my investment - right now I'm seeing NOTHING

John Fitzgerald

The stadium is going to be built. The $50 million from Booth and the new Adidas contract will put a pretty big dent in what's owed. The rest will be found. It's not that we have to win to get a new stadium, it's that ours is so outdated that we really have no choice if we plan to stay in the Big 12.

Frederick Heckel

It will not be done and the $50 Million was for the new indoor practice facility and Volleyball stuff. Zenger won't get another dime from any donors.

John Fitzgerald

You’re wrong.

Tom Keegan

Actually, more than half the money from Adidas is in product.

Brad Barker

If those positive selling points you mentioned matter then why did they not help during the last three searches for a HC? Which of the recent hires have been chosen over some other candidate that was already an established winner?

John Fitzgerald

Asking the wrong person, Brad. I obviously don’t do the hiring.

Jeff Coffman

Are you kidding me?

You got blown out, by 17 True Freshman, and a team with over 25 injuries AT HOME and we haven't had a press conference. Not only that, the coach is quoting how he wasn't going to use Jucos and he was going to build from the high schools, local talent, and build from top down.

He had 10 Jucos last year, not one Texas Recruit, and the only Kansas recruits that we are getting are the walk-ons. Look at our QB...Juco, our RB Juco, and then some transfers without 5 years of eligibility.

I hope Girod is seeing that this is a public nightmare, and if he isn't willing to make an adjustment, than his seat should be getting toasty hot as well. Athletics is in his responsibility and the #1 revenue generating venue is not-performing within his responsibility.

David Kemp

Trust me one more year of players aging will not make a difference. We wasted a scholarship on Bender who now is permanent backup. Stanley our best option was absolutely trounced by a true freshman starting his first game. We are totally screwed going forward with this lost regime. Three years into this mess we still don’t have a line that can block nor a defense that can even remotely slow anybody down. How on earth does Beaty think we will be better next year. Same players one year less capable.

Brett McCabe

Your QB reference is an important one. There are a handful of situations in which Beaty has struggled, and the most important one might be at the QB spot. Consider.....

•He had two upperclassmen as QB's who could have returned. He chased them both out of the system.

•He specifically recruited Stanley over Willis and then red-shirted Willis when he couldn't win the job.

•He then specifically recruited Bender over Stanley. And we know how that turned out.

So...as a recruiting guru, he's whiffed at the most important position on the field. As a player developer, he ran-off his starters (just like Charlie), and a year later is switching QB's again mid-season, with zero results.

Chris Condren

Beaty is paid $1.5 million dollars and has a multi-million dollar buyout. He cannot win a conference game or at this point even stay close in a conference game. Heck his teams more often than not cannot score touchdowns and certainly cannot score enough points to compete in the Big 12.

If I was in his position I would feel secure. Is Zenger going to fire him? No. Is the new Chancellor going to fire him. Probably not. Beaty is by any fair measure the worst college coach at a P5 Conference and perhaps all of D1 football. Despite all this his is a certain millionaire. Now you can see why this dolt feels secure.

David Kemp

Absolutely the worst coach in D1. Look at the hot seat list, most of those coaches look like Super Bowl contenders compared to. Beaty

Chris Bailey

Not to pour salt in the wound but it's actually 1.6 million.

Armen Kurdian

In 30 years since I came to KU, I have missed some games because I was otherwise doing something else, out of the country, or just couldn't watch/listen for whatever reason. Even through the worst of times, I never said, "I'm not going to watch or listen no matter what I am or am not doing on Saturday."

For the rest of this season, I'm just going to do my own little boycott, because it is a waste of my time to sit and criticize and pull my hair out. I just don't see a point, especially with the opponents we have left. There is no humanly possibly way we are going to be the least bit competitive, if we keep it to a 40 point margin or less, that would be a positive step, but I just don't care for the rest of the season.

Maybe some of the rest of you will join me.

Gerry Butler

I think you would have to be a sadist if you watched or listened to these games for the rest of the season - -if you do you must love self torture. - -I've lost total interest & I tried to rationalize for Coach Beaty for a long time. - -I don't know what the hell were going to do - -this vicious cycle of firing a Coach every 2-3 years isn't the answer either . you have to find some kind of continuity somewhere along the line. - How can you expect for a recruit to commit here if he has no Idea if the coach he committed to won't even be here the next year? - -Let me ask - -how many here think we hang on to the most highly recruited the recruits we have left? - -Our two from Louisiana? - there is no way they stick to their commit - -why should they? - -Now having said what I said do I think Beaty needs to go? - -Hell to the wall I do - In all reality they need to have a clean sweep - -EVERYBODY period. - - Except Hull , but he isn't sticking around this cess pool - So ya he needs fired but yet how can we - again this 2-3 year fire the Coach approach is also killing us - -it's a vicious circle - -where does this crap end?

John Strayer

I agree this is/was going to take time...but all he had to do was show progress. If he had 2 or 3 wins and wasn't getting blown out I'd feel a whole lot better. If anyone sees progress here, I want some of what they are drinking. I was at the Baylor game and the stadium was empty by the middle of the third quarter...maybe the start of the fourth quarter. That is Zenger's legacy...an empty stadium after six years of "fixing" KU football.

Good grief...just show some progress...any progress... on the scoreboard and Win/Loss column. That is how low the hurdle is now. And current administration and coaching staff can't clear it.

Gerry Butler

Oh well hell if your looking at empty stadiums on Beaty's part - -for that I'll have to disagree - -KU fans have always had a habit of leaving before the game was close to over - -you would be lucky if they stayed till the start of the 2nd half - -they done that crap for so long - -long before Beaty - use to P - - - me off THAT'S not a fan

Frederick Heckel

The fans aren't even showing up to leave at halftime now. Stop being a delusional ass kisser.

Barry Weiss

lol

Chris Bailey

Not at all concerned because he's shown so much concern at any other point this season? What a disgrace! You suck Beaty! Just shut your mouth and start winning football games. No one wants to hear your damn excuses for why in year 3 your team still sucks as bad as year 1!

David Kemp

He says he doesn’t have to get the players up because they believe? Believe in what. Ditch the air raid use starks and run the option. We have about as much chance that way of positive yards as running what we’re running.

Gerry Butler

I agree man - -but that ain't happening - - shoot, I've been campaigning for Starks for weeks now - -look what we got. - -You Watch after the season - -Starks transferring out - -why shouldn't he, continue to stand on the sideline and watch the fiasco? - -the kid wants to try and make the next level like any other kid - he sure the hell not going to get there by spending all four years on the sideline. -Someone - -Anyone tell me WHY he hasn't got his shot. - -People think Bender stinks - -I agree - -People say Carter is the answer - - well then dammit - -NEXT MAN UP PERIOD. - let him show us he isn't the answer either - we haven't seen nothing yet - -Beaty won't play him - -WHY?

Richard Quinlan

If hes not concerned he should be canned immediately , zenger , him , bowen , marchiony , the whole bunch should be gone. If not cancel your tickets , donations. This is beyond pathetic.

Michael Leiker

There is an old KU Football poster from the 80s that has the offensive line on it standing there after practice looking all tough that says, "You don't have to buy KU Football season tickets, but don't tell these guys." Sure feels like we should be back at that same point. If having butts in the seats matters as much as Beaty says it does, just give the dang things away

Bryan Mohr

Would like the LJW to get an interview with Zenger. He needs to say something publicly.

Chris Bailey

LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Leiker

Wow, no doubt...duh!!!

Chris DeWeese

That's an interview I would love to hear. How in the world would he spin the apparent failure of Beaty and this team? I'm sure he'd probably lean on the notion that we were down 30 or so scholarships, that our players are so much younger than most in the B12. If that's the case, I'd love for him to explain when those reasons can no longer be used as excuses.

Chris Bailey

Well by that time he'll be down the road and we will be 5-7 more years from winning a damn game.

Austin Lopez

At this point in the season, I don't even think we would be able to compete with the top tier of FCS teams and that's screaming something wrong already for a BIG12 team. Every week I tune into the Kansas games and see a select few on the field with pride, and playing to the whistle. This team has not guidance, no attitude, they lack in will. Get us a mean tough coach in here, bring in a guy that isn't afraid to get into someones face! If I was beaty this team would be running so many sprints and every single starter spot would be up for grabs except Dineen, Rui, Sims, Herbert and Armstrong. Gotta feel bad for Herbert, guy should be getting at least 30 carries a game, 12 carries is unacceptable. Can someone remind me, why are we not using our best weapon? Feed Herbert the dang on ball!!

Michael Leiker

Semo is 2-7. That was by no means an easy game. Tells you all you need to know, this KU team is bottom 20% of FCS quality.

Chris Bailey

Yeah we would NO WAY compete with top level FCS teams! Not a chance. We lose every single time we step on the field to their top 20. Not even a question.

Gerry Butler

We HAD a TOUGH COACH someone that would get in a players face - -and we ran him out- - didn't wanting him verbally abusing or touching our Golden spooned babies. - -Didn't want him to get physical - -What the hell in case you don't realize Football is a physical sport you can't man up and take it from the Coach then you shouldn't be playing the game of Football - -Good luck finding ANYONE wanting to come to his pile of nothing - -I'm so sick of this

Tony Bandle

Ten Reasons to watch Kansas Football:

1] It still beats working...barely!

2] Good football, great spirit and interesting plays...by the opponent.

3] Kind of a "train wreck syndrome"...just how much worse can this football team get!

4] Consider it Purgatory....thus you'll get into Heaven faster.

5] At least when the game is in Lawrence, the campus looks great on television.

6] Always ready, willing and able to give !00%,,,the KU Marching Band, that is!!,

7] Plenty of room to stretch out in the stands,,,since you may have a whole section to yourselves.

8] Memorial Stadium is within easy walking distance of The Wheel.

9] Always an air of anticipation as to what ridiculous uniform the Hawks will wear next!

10] Provides a trip down memory lane when Kansas actually played football on that very field.

Chris Bailey

BAHAHAHAHA! If I went I'd be at the wheel drunk before halftime.

Gerry Butler

Half time? - - -Half time ?? - - why so long? lol

Chris Bailey

Yeah you’re right. I wouldn’t make it through the first quarter. Just trying to be positive. 😂😂😂

Gordon Penny

Does anyone remember the bar that used to be down the street from the Union -- where the new hotel is? I spent a lot of time there as an underclassman....

Tony Bandle

In 1966-71 it was called the Buerstube

Duane S Boor

the crossing. Looked like a medieval pub.

Clara Westphal

I always went to see the KU band.

Edward Daub

Tony is Funny! When it komes to komedy, I kan't hold a kandle to Bandle! However, I will try by replacing "Hard C's" with "K's".

1) Keegan kontinues to kriticize KU koaches
2) MkKabe kontinues to put the "Kart before the Horse"
3) Kramer kontinues to lambaste Koordinator Klint

John Fitzgerald

My friends and I (all 8 of us) have decided for the first time to not even attend the last KU home game. We've been season ticket holders for 5 years (which isn't long but long enough to see this disaster get worse). The Baylor game showed me the staff is completely incompetent and unfit to coach this program. Here's to hoping the stands don't even reach 10,000. It's time to stand up for our University since our Chancellor doesn't have the guts to do it.

Eric Bernauer

Season ticket holder for the last 5 seasons huh? I'm sure there is a masochist support group somewhere near you.

John Fitzgerald

Calm down.

Chris Bailey

John I think he’s being funny. You’ve watched 5 years of some of the worst teams we’ve ever fielded.

Eric Bernauer

Yes John, just a little humor. You haven't seen one good or even mediocre Kansas team, and yet you keep buying season tickets. Don't feel you're alone, I tend to watch every televised Kansas game myself to the bitter end, ie. masochism.

Marius Rowlanski

Yes - It's called the Wheel.

Steve Corder

Compare and contrast coach's comments in August to these.

Would he feel great if he would have projected another 1 or 2 win season back in August?

Why do I keep reading this stuff? Uhggh

Love my Jayhawks!

W Keith Swinehart II

That's what you need to do. Tough business. Stay the course. Patience required.

Thomas Wagner

Is it wrong of me to check the website multiple times a day hoping there is an article about Beaty being let go?

1. I feel his biggest error to date is his inability to find and evaluate High School talent properly. You can't go by Rivals rankings, but by what you see. Failure there. This is the absolute lifeblood of the program.

2. The ever asked question of if not him, then who? And the answer is not anyone. You can not try to compete with the top programs by emulating them and doing what they do. You will always be behind them if you try this. You must try to do something different. I would look for any coach that runs the wishbone, option, wildcat. Any type of run game. You have to get the players that don't fit the schemes of the top program. These are the HS players that are left out with a grudge. Running Backs are everywhere. Find the lineman that only know how to RUN block. Do Something Different.

3. I don't care about Zenger staying or going, but take the ability to hire head coaches out of his hands and put it back in the hands of a committee of knowledgeable alumni.

David Kemp

How bad would it look if kingsbury gets fired after beating us 65-19

Bob Bowles

This is beginning to feel like the Terry Allen era where you got 2 KU football tickets with the purchase of a large size bag of Doritos.

Clarence Glasse

LOL

Duane S Boor

Compared to this train wreck I would love to have 3-4 win seasons right now.

Maria Ungaro

Coach Beaty big moment coming this Saturday in Austin, TX vs University of Texas.

This is last chance for a victory this season. In his home state hopefully having his top 5 Texas recruits on the sidelines.

Coach Beaty going back to Texas. I would almost be certain the UT players have heard about this game since Coach Tom walked into the locker room. You know they want a 70-3 score to erase the embarrassment in Lawrence.

Coach Beaty this is your game.

Still might make the drive.

Brett McCabe

You are a saint.

John Brazelton

I've never seen so many football experts in one location. If all you guys had been running Hilliary Clinton's political campaign, she would President Hilliary Clinton today!!!

Andy Tweedy

Wouldn't be much fun if there were only outlets for the talking heads on ESPN, and we think they're full of it so why not? I can't speak for the rest of this board, but while I surely am not equipped to fix this, it sure doesn't seem to be working!

John Fitzgerald

Politics don’t belong here JB. Time for you to pack your things and head back to the looney bin.

Lloyd Kinnison

How can Coach Beaty not be concerned when the fans are not present.? Someone must pay his salary! The income from Jayhawks faithful is not paying his or coaches salary. A contract with no contingencies related to winning at least 3 games. Our AD did not give consideration to KU to agree to such terms,
😩

Bj Cassady

AD has to go first. Then hire someone with a brain even the scarecrow. Then get a list of who you want to go after. Terminate the coach and hire the guy you want to get. Go all out on recruiting, it will be a difficult task. KU is so horrible at this time. We need a Les Miles, someone who can recruit and knows the X's and O's someone committed to a 6 year plan. I would like to go all out for Mike Leach personally. Buy him a pirate ship.

Jeff Coffman

I thought the AD needed to go First, but the longer Girod waits makes me think the Dean needs to go first.

Cary Ediger

Mangino fired by Perkins as he was leaving KU.

Turner Gill brought in because Mangino grabbed a player by the face mask and cussed him out during MU game. (on national TV)

Turner Gill was not ready.

Charlie Wies comes in ...sorry but if you can't win at Notre Dame what in the hell makes you think he can win at KU ?
He treats KU like the NFL cuts 4 year players and signs Juco players.

Beaty needs a chance... really who in the heck is KU going to hire and who the hell in their right mind would take the job after the Mangino/Gill/Weis/Beaty mess ?

Chris Bailey

Seriously?? I don’t get this mentality. Let’s see. Everyday jobs open up with company’s. Company’s that a lot of times have fired people for poor performance. And when you are offering someone millions of dollars with a guaranteed 5 year contract why wouldn’t someone take that? 2-3 million a year for 5 years 10-15 million and you’re saying we can’t hire anyone? Really? Well if F’img Lew would’ve let Harbaugh coach in the bowl game however many years ago we’d have hired him and probably wouldn’t be having this conversation because we’d have a winner by now. His wife is from KC and wanted to move back but no Lew couldn’t swallow his pride and let him coach. That’s too much to handle. So sorry we can and will hire another coach. It’s not that difficult. Hire one and get his butt in here let’s start this healing process!

John Fitzgerald

Firing is not the problem with this program, it is the hiring.

1 month, 1 week ago

lets take one step back & talk about “progress”: not only are we 1-8 (w/l) and Not Winning games.. WE ARE 1-8 vs the GD SPREADS ALL SEASON! forget ‘winning’. we cant even Cover! a ‘decent’ team, ‘average’ , would be ~4-5.
Even the guys who GAMBLE FOR A LIVING underestimate how bad we are. let That sink in.
Year 3 and That is PROGRESS?!? what?
we wont have a line under THIRTY from here on out.
just dont be surprised when nicholls st comes to town next year & beats us. That will be hcdb’s DEFINING moment.