Top-seeded Kansas to face No. 9 seed Michigan State in 2nd round Sunday

Michigan State guard Miles Bridges (22) defends against a shot from Miami guard Davon Reed (5) during the second half on Friday, March 17, 2017 at BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

— After advancing to Sunday’s second round, the Jayhawks (29-4) were able to sit back and watch the final game of the day at BOK Center while waiting to see who they would play.

For the second year in a row, the Jayhawks’ second-round foe will be a team that has reached a Final Four more recently than Kansas, as No. 9 seed Michigan State knocked off No. 8 Miami, 78-58, in Friday's final game at BOK Center. Last season, KU knocked off UConn in the second round in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Jayhawks will face Michigan State at 4:15 p.m. Sunday for a spot in the Sweet 16.

The Spartans, whom Jackson grew up rooting for as a child in Detroit, overcame a slow start and early 17-5 hole to roar to victory. MSU (20-14) led by 11 at halftime and used efficient offense and tough defense to run away from the Hurricanes.

For Jackson, the opportunity to play Michigan State goes well beyond facing a childhood favorite. Jackson has a few friends on this MSU roster and he’s looking forward to facing them.

“Being able to play against those guys would be fun,” said Jackson, who listed MSU’s Miles Bridges, Nick Ward and Cassius Winston among his friends-turned-foes. “I don’t really think I have much at stake against Michigan State. Every game I come out and play I’m gonna give it my all and try to play my best.”

Kansas is 1-1 all-time against Michigan State in the NCAA Tournament, with both prior meetings coming in the Sweet 16 (96-86, overtime win in Kansas City, Mo., in 1986 and a 67-62 loss in 2009 in Indianapolis) and 5-7 all-time against the Spartans overall. Self and Michigan State coach Tom Izzo have faced off a dozen times, with Izzo owning a 7-5 edge, including a 4-2 mark against Self at Kansas.

By the Numbers: Kansas 100, UC Davis 62

By the Numbers: Kansas 100, UC Davis 62

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. UC Davis

Comments

Dyrk Dugan

False. Izzo's only national title at MSU was in 2000; I think KU has them by eight years. Spartans weren't going to lose in the 1st round again....the 20 point margin should get the Jayhawks' attention.

John Randall

Dyrk, is your reading comprehension getting worse?

The story reported that MSU (Izzo) made a more recent Final Four appearance than Kansas (Self), irrespective of NC's.

Jerry Walker

"For the second year in a row, the Jayhawks’ second-round foe will be a team that has won a national title more recently than Kansas".

You're correct Dyrk. It was corrected in the story but they failed to update it in the story's lead on the headline page.

Marius Rowlanski

Regardless, 7 Final Fours is an impressive number.

Jaston Archie

Wow, I usually give writers the benefit of the doubt but to say that Mich St has won a national title more recently than Kansas is just bad, but I look forward to the game, KU will definitely have to bring it to win

Tracey Graham

The writer didn't say that. He said that Michigan State has played in a Final Four more recently than KU has. Which is correct. Michigan State played in the Final Four in 2015...KU hasn't been in the Final Four since 2012.

I was really hoping Miami (FL) ould win last night. I do not like facing Tom Izzo teams...you know that team is going to be mentally tough and extremely focused.

Joe Ross

Jank, Dooley, and Manning all lost. Not a great round for former Kansas asst. coaches.

Josh Galler

seriously 4:15P Damn I have cub scouts Blue and Gold 430-630 UGH

Joe Ross

Find a replacement or get a case of the "flu".

Tim Orel

Figure out a scouting angle to the game and watch it with them.

Pius Waldman

CBS has the first three games Sunday. Kentucky and Wichita State play prior to KU vs MSU
Michigan State played a great game against Miami and the game Sunday should be a barn burner.

Craig Alexander

A big stat for me was Svi having the most minutes for the starters at 32. We got a win and our starting five got nice breaks. They will be fresh and ready for a grinder on Sunday!

Ed Noyes

Does anyone actually think that Svi practices fouling a 3 pt. shooter at the buzzer. Surely not. It's probably just a coincidence that he is so adept at this particular aspect of the game...ugh !

Al Martin

Drives me nuts. He's fouled a three point shooter at least five times this year.

Marius Rowlanski

The noncall on Graham bothered me more.

Barry Weiss

Well, the ESPN talking heads, last Sunday, I suppose had to pick some 1 seed to flame out early, and they were picking it to be Kansas, at the hands of Miami. Guess that did not go so well for those chumps. I hope we smash Michigan State like a guitar. Rock Chalk!

Marius Rowlanski

Villanova put the rest of that prediction to bed early.

Suzi Marshall

A win Sunday against MSU will give the Hawks a 'hat-trick' season with wins over Duke, Kentucky and MSU! The 30 win milestone for the season will also be breached.

Joe Ross

I aint countin chickens, but UCLA or UNC could also be an opponent.

Mike Riches

I know facing a big name program in the second round is scary for some, but I think it can be an advantage for our guys. Really good mid-majors (i.e. Northern Iowa) make me more nervous. I think our guys will take Michigan State seriously, and come out ready to play. I hope I'm right!

Marius Rowlanski

I feel confident that we got this. Michigan State was routed by Kentucky early in the season. They also lost to Duke and Baylor with 14 losses overall.

Barry Weiss

I like your thinking.

Harlan Hobbs

Great point, Suzi. A victory over MSU and the "hat trick" is somewhat reminiscent of 1988 when we beat K-State, Duke, and Oklahoma in succession to win the National Championship. They were the three teams that beat us in Allen Field House that year, which prompted the T-shirt slogan "Paybacks are Hell!"

Marius Rowlanski

One of the most improbable championships of all time.