KU football once again picked last in preseason Big 12 poll

Kansas offensive lineman Mesa Rigordy (69) and Hakeem Adeiji (78) watch the closing seconds of the Jayhawks 31-24 loss to Iowa State, Saturday, Nov. 12 at Memorial Stadium.

It has become a conference tradition.

Every year since the Big 12 scrapped divisions following the 2010 season, the Kansas football team has been picked by media members to finish last in league play.

The Jayhawks’ undesirable streak reached seven years on Thursday, when the Big 12 released the 2017 preseason poll.

The projected standings have proven accurate in five of the past six seasons. Only in 2014 did KU surpass expectations. That year the Jayhawks finished ninth, with a 1-8 mark and a one-game lead over 10th-place Iowa State, which went winless in league play.

In its’ five 10th-place seasons during that stretch, KU went 0-9 in 2011, 2012 and 2015, and 1-8 in 2013 and 2016.

As tends to be the case, Oklahoma sat atop the predicted conference standings, with 19 of the 32 first-place votes.

The Sooners’ rival, Oklahoma State, was picked second and received 12 first-place votes.

KU’s rival, Kansas State, received one first-place vote and was chosen as the No. 3 Big 12 team in the preseason poll.

OU was picked to win the conference for the fifth time since 2011.

Just as KU has been picked 10th for seven consecutive years, Iowa State also has been predicted as the ninth-place team every year since 2011.

The Big 12 Championship Game resumes in 2017 after a six-year absence, and will feature the top two finishers in the final league standings.

2017 BIG 12 FOOTBALL MEDIA PRESEASON POLL

— First-place votes in parentheses, followed by total poll points

1st. Oklahoma (19) - 303

2nd. Oklahoma State (12) - 294

3rd. Kansas State (1) - 231

4th. Texas - 213

5th. TCU - 202

6th. West Virginia - 183

7th. Baylor - 129

8th. Texas Tech - 85

9th. Iowa State - 83

10th. Kansas - 37

Comments

Karen Mansfield-Stewart

Only 37 total points. I see our enthusiasm for the direction of the program is not shared by the media.

Bryce Landon

One win over a tanking Texas team that quit on their coach is not reason enough to be enthusiastic that we won't finish last again. Until things actually improve in the win-loss column, there's little to no reason to feel any enthusiasm for KU football.

Gerry Butler

Thank you Karen, I feel exactly where your coming from, I think these guys are totally missing the boat or blind or something. I mean call me a homer Joe or whatever BUT if they are oblivious to how more competitive we were last year, to see the progression than ummm well can't say what I'd like to here so I'll leave it alone . I mean sure it's logical to be predicted for last based of previous years but just 37 votes - - -get the hell off me. If this just doesn't provide another in a line of motivational reasons for the guys, would love to see the guys take this and feed it right down these so called voters throats. - That is some really crazy crap. voting last is one thing but 37 votes? - - - -that's NO RESPECT at all -- ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY - - -WE BELIEVE

John Fitzgerald

I feel like the past 7 years this program has been on an up hill battle. And it seems every time we get close to the top there's more to climb. At some point we have to get to the top and I feel like we're as close as ever. Let's hope they aren't discouraged by this and use it as fuel to break the mold. "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..."

Marcus Balzer

Motivation...

Gerry Butler

EXACTLY Thank you. - - this should for sure add. - - -37 votes? REALLY?

Michael Sillman

The only way to avoid being the pre-season number 10 is by not being the in-season number 10. Hopefully we can avoid that distinction this year by passing it on to Texas Tech or Iowa State.

Bryce Landon

In 2014, you say Kansas finished in ninth place at 1-8, but you also say Iowa State was ninth, going winless at 0-9. Did you proofread this before you posted it?

Benton Smith

Looks like you caught it. Thanks. Fixed.

Steve Corder

Huge gap between Lawrence media stories of progress and the reality perceived by B12 media, which CAN "see the forest for the trees".

Who do you think is more astute?

Micky Baker

Here's something to ponder. Even if Kansas finishes in last in the Big 12 doesn't mean that there are not significant improvements. If KU loses by an average margin of 7 instead of 27, that would be an improvement right? It's flawed to only measure by wins vs. losses. Shortsighted.

Bryce Landon

It doesn't matter if KU loses by 7 or 27 - it's still a loss. And measuring by wins and losses is the way most people, myself included, perceive a team. You are what your record says you are. Until the wins start piling up faster than the losses, people will never perceive the Kansas Jayhawks as anything more than a joke of a football team.

Bryce Landon

We've gotten nothing but local media stories of progress for years, such as how good the quarterback looks in practice, how motivated the team is to atone for the previous week's failure, etc., etc., etc. We've been bombarded with such stories even more so than ever because of Texas giving us a game that they had won handily. I'm not inclined to believe in any claims of progress until things improve in the win-loss tally. My expectation is that this year's team needs to go 4-8 minimum to prove that progress is actually taking place.

Mike Kendall

I will echo what Marcus said earlier-- it's just one word-- motivation!

Dirk Medema

2 words

Earn It

The players all know this so the rankings are not a surprise and probably not even motivated by it. The losing combined with personal drive is all the motivation they need though I'm sure the coaches' encouragement helps.

Joe Ross

Bryce,

I'm sorry, but if Kansas lost every game in the L column by 7 instead of 27, that's progress and progress is a real thing, perception be damned. If we can ride with Baylor, OU, TCU, Kstate, and the best of the Big 12 like that, even the perception would scream improvement. I'd venture to guess you'd be the only one still putting the Hawks on par with the Gill and Weis teams that were being torched by 35 and 40 points. It ain't the same!!!!

John Fitzgerald

Bryce has zero intellect or credibility and most of his comments are directed with anger and irrationality. Also, I agree with you and Micky. If we lose by less it'll be improvement. Maybe not the improvement we want or expect, but it's technically improvement.

Bryce Landon

So being realistic about the situation makes me stupid and irrational...?

John Fitzgerald

You're not being realistic. You're being stupid and irrational.

Bryce Landon

If we lost every game, regardless of the margin of defeat, that would be an 0-12 record. That's not progress no matter how you try to spin it.

John Fitzgerald

In your previous argument you didn't say if we went 0-12. You can't change your argument without admitting your wrong just to sound less stupid and irrational.

Jim Stauffer

While we may not like Bryce's comments, we are forced to admit if a team loses every game and the average point spread in all those losses is 7, there has to be some major problem in the coaching of the kids.
If you are in every game it indicates parity with opponents. If you are on a par with your opponents you will win some of those games.
We are playing 3 teams in the non-con that we should beat. If and when we accomplish that, we only have to win one conference game to achieve the minimum wins Bryce put forth.
I also believe 4-8 is a minimum accomplishment this year to show Beaty and staff can coach on the Big 12 level.
We already know they can recruit with the big boys. It is now time to start playing with them.

Bryce Landon

You may not like my comments, but I like yours today.

The reason people don't like my comments is because I don't mindlessly go along with their groupthink mindset. In football, that mindset translates to "KU football is finally getting better". To which I say, "Prove it on the football field and win more than 3 games". In basketball, that mindset translates to "Bill Self is winning conference titles all the time and can do no wrong." To which I say, "No coach does less with more in the postseason than Bill Self. Ten #1 or #2 seeds in his fourteen years, and he only has two Final Fours and one NCAA title to show for it when he should have six Final Fours and two if not three NCAA titles."

In other words, people don't like guys who actually think for themselves and speak the truth.

John Fitzgerald

The problem is your comments come off as whiny and childish. If you were being realistic you'd 1.) understand and appreciate that our basketball program is top 10 in the nation (out of over 200 schools) in virtually every stat category and 2.) any football coach that comes in with 58 scholarships when allowed 85 will take at least 5 years to rejuvenate the program. Your comments are not realistic they're pessimistic. That's why no one respects you or gives a damn what you think.

Bryce Landon

If you were being realistic about our basketball program, you would see that it is not only not doing enough in the postseason but is being surpassed by other programs. While we pat ourselves on the back for winning the Big 12 every year, Connecticut, Duke, and North Carolina have managed to win a pair of NCAA titles since we won our last one. No one outside of Kansas will remember our Big 12 streak; they will only remember who won the one title that truly matters - the NCAA title.

As for the football program, I knew we would go 0-12 in 2015, and I accepted that. But there is no reason we could not have gone 3-9 last year, and no reason we can't go 4-8 this year. Unlike some of the fans I've seen on this site, I don't expect us to go to a bowl game this season or next season - not until at least 2020. So I think my expectations for the football team are quite reasonable. And if I come off as pessimistic it's because the LJW has talked up the football team every offseason, and when we get to the actual season we get the same old pile of crap, no matter who is the coach or how many players we have on our roster.

So I think I'm being quite realistic and level-headed, whereas you and your fellow groupthinkers continue to live in La-La Land and mock those who don't buy in to your baseless optimism. I don't give a damn if you give a damn what I think or if you respect me. I'm not on here living for your respect; I'm on here to share my opinion, and if you don't like it, screw you.

John Fitzgerald

You're the one living in La La Land expecting perfection. Get a grip with reality, perfection doesn't exist!

John Fitzgerald

I agree Jim that if we lose every game but only a loss margin of 7, that would not be considered improvement. Also keep in mind Bryce's original argument didn't say any thing about going 0-12 or losing every game. Don't give credit where credit isn't earned.

Randy Bombardier

Whoa. Poor Bryce, although i disagree for the most part. It is possible to lose every game by 7 but probability is that we would win a number of those games so i think we are arguing about nothing. The one thing i see from the posters here that i want to congratulate you for is that i think there is more patience now. We can give the coaches time to right the ship, not panick. We needed that. Regarding the crucifixion of Bryce i think he's looking for that 2006 season which set us up for 2007 rather nicely. Look at the margin of loss in that 6-6 record and it tells that we were pretty darn good. Could be this year, more likely next but that kind of year is around the corner.

Michael Sillman

Actually it is not just local writers who are talking up the improvement under Beaty. I've seen the same positive comments from a number of national writers as well. My concern with nasty postings from fans about the Jayhawks in football or basketball is the negative impact that it can have on the program. In my view true Jayhawks don't do it.