Versatile prep lineman a late addition to KU recruiting class

Kansas University football recruiting

On the final weekend leading up to Wednesday’s National Signing Day, the Kansas football program secured a commitment from a versatile South Carolina prospect.

Whether 6-foot-6 Earl Bostick plays on the offensive or defensive line for the Jayhawks remains to be determined, but the Barnwell High senior let KU coaches know Sunday morning during his recruiting visit his football future is in Lawrence.

A two-star recruit according to Rivals who had committed previously to Appalachian State, Bostick told Jon Kirby, of Jayhawk Slant, KU’s coaches couldn’t believe so few programs had gone after him.

Georgia Tech and Mississippi State reportedly had shown interest previously, but neither made an offer to the two-way standout from the Palmetto State.

At 260 pounds, Bostick could play either offensive or defensive tackle at Kansas after performing well as a tight end and defensive end in high school.

“I have played both ways since middle school,” Bostick told Jayhawk Slant. “I like playing on both sides. Sometimes I lean a little more to the defensive side, but it doesn’t matter. If they need me to play offensive tackle or defensive tackle, I’m ready to play.”

Just a week ago, Bostick, who also plays basketball at Barnwell, had a strong outing at the Border Bowl, showcasing top prep talents from South Carolina and Georgia. The new KU commit made seven tackles, three tackles for loss and three quarterback hurries at defensive end.

Kansas offensive line coach Zach Yenser, who led Bostick’s recruitment, took to Twitter Sunday morning to share his excitement about the prospect.

“I’ll play wherever just give me a chance!” Yenser wrote, sharing Bostick’s sentiments, while adding the lineman has length, great feet and high character.

by Zach Yenser

Comments

Dirk Medema

"seven tackles, three tackles for loss and three quarterback hurries at defensive end" in an all-star game seems like a real strong showing. Maybe that game doesn't have the best players from both states, but that's still nice production.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Dale Rogers

Awesome! I'm already excited for football and I'm still heavily enjoying basketball, too!

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Kevin Fest

The one thing this class is sorely missing and that's some offensive lineman, one undersized recruit from Kansas isn't going to help. I know they had a couple of offensive lineman early in this class who decommitted so I know Kansas coaches were working on this area. Hopefully they just put this kid on the offensive side of the ball.

They have plenty of d-lineman, corners, safeties & linebackers we need to start shoring up the offensive line. The line was so bad last year not only in overall performance in the Big 12 but nationally I really think they need to lean heavily on offensive lineman for the next recruiting class JMO

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Kevin Fest

The one thing this class is sorely missing is some offensive lineman, one undersized recruit from Kansas isn't going to help. I know they had a couple of offensive lineman early in this class who decommitted so I know Kansas coaches were working on this area. Hopefully they just put this kid on the offensive side of the ball.

They have plenty of d-lineman, corners, safeties & linebackers they need to start shoring up the offensive line. The line was so bad last year not only in overall performance in the Big 12 but nationally I really think they need to lean heavily on offensive lineman for the next recruiting class JMO.

Let's face it offensive lineman are not sexy recruits but they are wholly necessary if you are going to have a successful program.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Michael Sillman

At 6'4" 290 lbs, I wouldn't consider the kid from Wichita undersized.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Chris DeWeese

Exactly! Joey Gilbertson is a big boy from Kansas. Nothing undersized about him, and he's only going to get bigger!

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Doug Cramer

We need some stud linemen !

Welcome

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Jim Stauffer

I would disagree with the conclusion we are better off on the D-Line than the O-Line. Take a look at what Coach has done by way of walk ons on the O-Line.

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Diallo Liu-Bey

KHari Lane

4 months, 3 weeks ago

Marius Rowlanski

We've had luck from another player who was once an Appalachian State recruit.

4 months, 2 weeks ago