Tom Keegan: Efficient Lagerald Vick soaring in every way

Kansas guard Lagerald Vick (2) puts up a three over Texas guard Matt Coleman (2) during the first half on Friday, Dec. 29, 2017 at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Austin, Texas — Not all of the visitors’ best work Friday night took place beyond the 3-point arc on a night Kansas shot 17 of 35 from long distance in a 92-86 victory over Texas. The most spectacular moment of the night for Kansas, courtesy of Lagerald Vick, occurred way above the rim on a second-half play.

Vick soared so high, so quickly on the right side of the lane and with only his right hand threw down a Devonte' Graham lob, a play that would have triggered a sonic boom had it taken place in Allen Fieldhouse.

No matter, Vick has more such plays in store for the home crowd.

His lob finishes represent the loudest of so many ways that Vick demonstrates his high ceiling as a basketball player. So much of the rest of what he does flies under the radar, in part because of how efficiently he moves and shoots and how quickly he makes decisions.

Vick and seniors Devonte’ Graham and Svi Mykhailiuk all are developing deserved reputations as big-moment shot-makers.

Vick made 5 of 8 3-point attempts and did so many things so well on a night Texas freshman Mohamed Bamba flirted with a triple-double (22 points, 15 rebounds, eight blocked shots) that KU coach Bill Self went out of his way to call attention to Vick’s big night.

“Lagerald may have been the best player in the game, besides Bamba,” Self said.

Vick played 38 minutes and totaled 21 points, four rebounds and two assists, a line in the box score that is becoming increasingly typical for him.

A 6-foot-5, 175-pound junior from Memphis, Vick ranks third in the Big 12 in 3-point field goal percentage (.491), fourth in scoring (17.4), 11th in rebounding (6.4), 12th in field-goal percentage (.562) and 11th in assists-to-turnovers ratio (2.1).

Two years ago as a freshman who graduated high school a year early to start his college basketball career, Vick played 91 minutes all season. He has grown so much since then that he is building a strong case for first-team all-conference honors, even in such a strong year for the Big 12.

During the five games since Washington gambled that Vick wouldn’t be able to beat him from the middle of the zone defense, a winning gamble, the high-flying guard has been an extremely efficient shooter. In that streak, Vick has made 22 of 35 2-point shots and 12 of 21 3-pointers, a blend that results in a rare .714 effective field-goal percentage.

Vick's doing it all for Kansas and his game hasn't finished soaring.

Comments

Tony Bandle

Just call him LAGERALD VICKTORY!!

Kelly Hanrahan

"The veteran trio combined to play 84 of 90 possible minutes against Texas and scored 64 points, providing 70 percent of the team's scoring." Actually it was 114 of 120 possible minutes.

Len Shaffer

Clearly, Tom's math skills have deteriorated in old age ...

Dirk Medema

That would mean they previously were better.

Gerry Butler

lmao, find it really funny that people just feel the need to so quickly correct or so they think to correct the writers of articles on this page. - Holy crap you obviously understand what they are bringing forth in the article - -you understand what they are driving at, trying to bring a certain point across YET OMG that's not right lol - -let me correct them here - - umm perfectionists. Maybe just MAYBE you ought to be the one writing the article instead of them roflmmfao. - -OH OH they said 39 minutes in a game - - -that's wrong there is 40 minutes in a game - - got to correct them let everyone know lmao. -- If your getting the jest of the article then try your best and not be an a - - read the article and move on for Christs sakes. - - - -ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Allan Olson

Hey man, have another cup of coffee! I just felt an appreciation for the actual stat that I probably should have realized. What is offensive is reading your epic tirade about nothing. GO KELLY & THANKS.

Gerry Butler

Hey Man Thanks but umm no I don't drink that nasty a - - - and here is a little tip - you don't like what I post - -umm DON'T READ IT Einstein - seems pretty simple right? - -Is that a little much for you to comprehend this early? lmao - it's ok you'll be all right - get yourself a cookie and everything will be fine - -speaking of offensive - -how's your day going MAN lmao

Len Shaffer

Wow, Gerry, you may want to work on those anger issues ...

Gerry Butler

LeMAO -- NO not really, none here to work on - -just not putin up with people's BS here. - I'm on another site where lots of posters said they have left this site because of things just like this. - - I've tried to defend people here but I'm seeing what they mean for sure now. - -But thanks for the advice DR Phil lmao

Dirk Medema

Maybe you should take your own advice and skip the ragging.

It's not uncommon to point out an oops, and other writers have come back on the thank the poster for the correction.

But you must be right. Happy New Year.

Jerry Walker

It's not about a reporter's intent - it's about getting the facts correct. That's the most important part of the job. At some point in the future someone will reference this article as factual and that's a shame.

Although this was a small matter it's an example of deteriorating proofreading and sloppy work by Keegan...and he's the boss. Kelly was right to point that out.

Len Shaffer

Hear, hear!

Kelly Hanrahan

My most recent post prior to this was June 2013. While I read the site every day - it is commenters like you who keep me from posting.

Gerry Butler

Adam Collins

Like you , I don't comment often but read most every day. Don't let some troll silence you if you have something you think contributes to the discussion. Just look at the thumbs up count. Most people appreciate a thoughtful comment even if they don't agree with it.

Doug Longstaff

I disagree with a lot of folks, in that I actually think Tom does some good stuff. Don't care for all of it, but I get a kick out of some of it. That said, there are quite a few careless errors like this that should never get through if anyone is paying attention, and one is not asking too much if they expect them not to happen. The 90 possible minutes line has no fathomable explanation, and no one could have looked at this before it went up.

Len Shaffer

Well said, Doug. A perfect example of TK not giving a sh** about the most basic part of his job is that I have requested several times that when he runs a golf article, the article not simply say something like "KU finished in fourth place." I've asked that the article list how many teams were IN the tournament, so that we understand the context and get a clear picture of how KU did. I even sent Keegan a message asking him to do that.

Instead of simply changing the policy, which takes no effort at all, TK took the time to send me a sarcastic message suggesting that I call him to discuss the matter.

That's not giving care and attention to basic facts, like any journalist should do; that's someone being a snide jerk and enjoying his little fiefdom. And I speak as someone who still reads and sometimes likes his articles. It's a shame that he can't have more respect for his readers and care more about details.

Gerry Butler

SO - - why couldn't you man up and call him like he requested? - -hell you can call me too I live right here in Topeka of 35th and Adams you have issues with what I posted call me and tell me about it - -I like Tom probably would enjoy - -look forward to talking to you. - -Don't get your feelings hurt by saying instead of him jjust changing the policy lmao. -- Oh dog gone it not a sarcastic message - -I hate that when that happens - -and him being a jerk? - - mercy mercy not a jerk lol. - -you gonna be ok? - you get your toes's stepped on? - -pretty easy to hide behind the walls of your house and peck away on a keyboard and talk smack on the guys reporting, he is giving you the chance to call him - -how about manning up and talk to him face to face - -there is an idea - I will come see me

Gary Denning

Kelly accurately corrected a clerical error, without venom or sarcasm. Then you rant about it for several lines. Who has the problem here??? Not Kelly.

Gerry Butler

YOU? LMAO

Steve Quatrocky

As seen against Washington and ASU, he still needs to develop the confidence to be a zone buster in the middle. He needs to watch tape of another guard, maybe Travis Releford, who excelled at busting the zone from the middle, because trying to be Josh Jackson is a lot harder. He is starting to get it as the last time an opponent went zone, he tried to dribble drive and force help, instead of just distribute by passing out of the middle before help arrives. He's really developed nicely and still has plenty of ceiling left to improve on both sides of the ball. I think he has all the talent necessary to play in the league if he stays focused and continues to get better. And stays away from crazy women too...

Andy Tweedy

Vick is another example of what great coaches we have. Every so often, someone will come on here saying players aren't improving enough under Coach. Whatevs!

Barry Weiss

Vick is the closest player we have to being an alpha dog. I love the way he almost glares at whatever once in slams down one of those vicious dunks. The only thing I could see him doing more of is putting it on the floor and taking it to the hoop to either score or draw the foul. Obviously Josh Jackson was one of the best ever at doing that. In the ASU game, it Vick could have done that more when he got all of those passes in the paint, he could have drove and got fouled or dished to Dok. Ok, I'm done being coach for today...lol

Mike Kendall

Totally agree with you, Barry. I love Vick. I see Vick making great plays and improving in every game. The sky is the limit for Vick--just hope he and his Jayhawk teammates take it one game at a time. Rock Chalk!

Matt Gonzo

I’m probably dating myself with this comment but watching Vick develop into an awesome player, it reminds me of the path Milt Newton had when he played here. Wasn’t a big name coming in but changing that every game. Fun to watch how Self teaches/coaches these kids up and you get more than you expect. The sky is the limit Vick, keep playing hard and make yourself a household name. Rock Chalk!

Andy Tweedy

I'll never forget Milt Newton's dunk, I'm pretty sure against Notre Dame, where he got called for charge cuz he caught that top of a dude's head with his crotch. That dude could really jump!!!

Dirk Medema

I'm remembering one - I think it was in the NC game against OU, when he caught the ball in the left corner before the D got set up, drove baseline, and soared completely across the lane for a reverse jam.

Len Shaffer

Nice comparison, Matt, I can totally see it.

And who can forget Milt going 6 for 6 in the championship game in '88? All those comments about Danny being a one-man team conveniently ignored Milt's part in it.

Kent Richardson

Vick has improved most in his willingness or understanding he has to play ever single possession and not skate or zone out. He is our leading scorer and a willing rebounder. If he gets the defensive mojo or can hide in the zone we will be okay.

I'm not sure who we want to guard Trae Young. He likes to shoot 30'+ threes and I say let him. He was "only" 6 for 15 against Texas from deep. He can beat you off the dribble and make you foul him at will. Maybe it has to be a long and quick Garrett. His greatest talent is dispensing the ball. On the break you better be back or he will wing it ahead for a layup over and over and when you are not watching they get a secondary break backdoor lob. TCU's guards played the worst game. It was embarrassing to watch. Just terrible. They couldn't shoot, handle the ball or guard and only lost by one.

All that won't matter unless we get some inside help. Our 6'5" guarding 6'9" will be a death knell on nights we don't hit a ton of threes. OU has a quartet of 6'8," 6'9" athletic big guys who have mid-range and rebounding skills.

Keep shooting threes and play a lot of zone until we get Preston and Souza at a pretty good level.

Nova, ASU and A&M all went down and their weaknesses were exposed. We are going to have about seven losses post Big12 tourney it looks like.

Len Shaffer

I like your call on Garrett guarding Young; that seems to be the most logical choice, and it would be worth putting up with his offensive limitations if he can at least slightly lessen Young's domination.

Mike Greer

When Vick was a freshman, I kept saying to myself, hang in there and Coach will see what you can do. Don’t get impatient and leave for more playing time, work hard and improve and the playing time will come. He continues to work and improve every game. I’m very happy for him and the team. I’m glad he took my silent advice and stuck it out.