New Orleans WR Devonta Jason drawing interest from another SEC program

Kansas University football recruiting

A new suitor has emerged on the Devonta Jason recruiting front.

The five-star receiver from Louisiana, who committed to the University of Kansas back in February, revealed in an interview this weekend with Pelican Preps his top choices for the upcoming Dec. 20 signing day include not only KU, LSU and Mississippi State, but also Florida.

While speaking with Rivals’ Quentin Bienemy, in New Orleans, Jason related that once Dan Mullen left MSU to take over as head coach at Florida, the new man in charge of the Gators texted him the next day.

“So, I mean, they’re provoking me to choose Florida out of one of them schools when signing day comes,” Jason said.

Previously, the receiver from Landry-Walker High had not mentioned Florida among his finalists.

Jason also provided his take on what happened in the final weekend of November, when he was supposed to take an official visit to LSU, but it fell through.

The LSU staff that weekend also hosted five-star receiving prospect Terrace Marshall Jr. and four-star Justin Watkins.

“They never told me what happened. That’s all they said: They didn’t want both of us on campus. They wanted me to have my own day,” Jason shared. “I told them I was booked all the rest of the weekends, and I wouldn’t be able to visit another day.”

However, Jason still considered his home state program in good standing.

“They’re a pretty good school, good university — ain’t nothing bad about them,” Jason said. “They’re still in my top (schools).”

Jason, ranked the No. 24 prospect in the nation by Rivals, is easily the most sought after player in KU’s 2018 recruiting class.

Jason, his Landry-Walker teammate Corione Harris, a four-star corner, and three-star Louisiana prep running back Anthony “Pooka” Williams have long been the standouts Kansas head coach David Beaty and his staff hope can eventually fuel a turnaround.

Comments

['']

ZERO chance he comes to KU. And who could blame him.

David Kemp

We lose him we lose his teammate, then our recruiting class becomes the worst in tho power 5!!!!!

Dyrk Dugan

He’s still listed as committed; even though he’s had LSU and MSU always as a strong interest. This is why this coach needed to be retained; so he and his staff can have a chance to land this class. It’s unprecedented territory to have s 5* recruit coming to our school; we’re 20 days away.

David Kemp

If these players don’t come Beaty goes 0-12maybe 1-11, we should cut our losses while we can.

Brett McCabe

He does the same thing with them. The prime example of KU football stupidity is the fact that people think some 5-star receiver is going to save the program. The cavalry isn't coming. This kid isn't committed to Kansas, he's still taking recruiting visits and still lists his finalists.

For his own good, he needs to pick a program that actually knows what it's doing. He'd be far better off at Tulane or about 100 other schools. For his sake, I hope that he does not buy into the snake-oil that Beaty is pitching.

Jack Hoff

First you complain that he can't recruit. Which is false. Then when he gets one of the best recruits in KU football history to committ to the program somehow that is not good enough for you. You would seriously rather a kid switch his committment just so you can be proven right. Thats a shame. At the very least if he's here and Beaty gets fired then the next coach would have a decent stable of talent to work with. Never thought I'd see the day KU "fans" wished us to fail just so they can confirm their own inflated ego.

Gerry Butler

Jack, you have to be able to understand this idiot that's making these comments. I fully believe he leads such a miserable laugh he wants to share it with everyone else. This guy I swear gets on here spews out his meaningless BS just to see the relies he will get. It's exactly what you said. - He hopes, he prays that Beaty will fail so he can feed his own aggorance. He could care less about the program. He stated back he was done had better things to do - -We can only hope he NEVER comes to a game - it's people like them that are the real distraction to KU football, they call themselves fans - - roflmao. - -in reality they are people that hang their little KU ( RAW RAW ) sweaters in their hall closet and when things start turning around - - THEN you see them yank them out put them on beat their chest - well their supposed chests and say - HELL YA huge fan here. - -This guy is an absolute joke, he thrives on other peoples hard times. See good ol Brett he is about ready to wet all over himself because in reality he is afraid if these kids do end up coming they WILL make a difference then he will show up and look like the moron he is. - Plus don't give him any justice and call him a fan, this guy has NO IDEA what a fan is - he would have to look in websters to see what the definition of fan meant. - - I hear you Jack - this gets pretty old hearing all this bunk - -these kind of people we do not need, how about you just waddle on down the inner state and cheer for K-Straight and when pa pa Bill retires here in the next year - then watch the warm mess off dog doo they return to lmao - -have a great day

Chris Bailey

If I wrote anything this incoherent I'd refrain from ever calling anyone a moron Gerry.

1 week, 5 days ago

Dillon Davis

Jack - are you saying that Beaty is a good recruiter? Because we have one player committed from the state of Texas in this class and that was supposed to be Beaty's strength. Our class is ranked 9th in the Big 12 right now and Beaty is going after JUCOs instead of high school seniors like he said he would, because he knows he has to produce wins next year or he's gone. Now Tony Hull, he is a great recruiter. Beaty has found some gems for sure but it's year 4 now and his recruiting is well below average.

Jeff Coffman

What makes you think Beaty is gone if he doesn't win? We thought that this year and he won less games then last year. He has a contract that is easy to buy out and he still is here. He doesn't have to win to save his job. if he had to win to save his job he wouldn't have got a contract extension last year and he definitely would have been terminated this year.

Zenger isn't going to terminate him and Girod isn't going to get rid of Zenger.

Aaron Paisley

Mississippi State is out of it now. It's between KU and Florida. The best thing KU has going for them with Jason and Harris is Tony Hull and Mike Lee.

Jeff Coffman

I wonder if they end up at Kansas, who they will play for. My belief is they will red-shirt next year.

Dirk Medema

No chance they redshirt.

Gerry Butler

If they come to KU there is NO WAY Jason red shirts

Jim Stauffer

Jeff,
You must be kidding!

Jeff Coffman

That they will end up at Kansas, or that Beaty will be able to coach a 5* talent to getting on the field?

Kevin Robert Fest

Beaty needs to save his job NOW no way they redshirt.

Jeff Coffman

I thought he needed to save his job this year...there are no repercussions for a poor job, what makes you think he has any incentive to win? His contract is "incentive" laden and he has received one incentive in three years.

Why all of a sudden does he need to save his job? What do you think Zenger is going to let him go? Oh how about Girod actually getting rid of Zenger, please, he has the easiest job in the Big XII now, no expectations and no incentive to win.

Brian Wilson

KU for the first time in years....finally redshirted 12 Freshmen this past year. But...there is no chance KU will redshirt a 4 or 5 start player if they come...especially if it's not a lineman.

1 week, 5 days ago

Michael Maris

I doubt that the Louisiana players are planning to redshirt at Kansas. They could do that at any of the SEC Universities. Not saying that they wouldn't redshirt. I just don't feel like that's in their gameplan.

Jeff Coffman

So beaty is going to be able to develop them beyond what he currently has on the field? I would agree that they are better talent, but talent versus development is different. Beaty has developed very few people in three years since he has been here.

Dirk Medema

You apparently missed the fact that we had 0 players listed for any post season honors when Coach Beatty arrived but we have a bunch now. As Brett loves to point out, we haven't had highly ranked recruiting classes, so that would mean that the coaches are doing a good job of identifying and developing talent.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled bias comment montague.

Gerry Butler

Thank you Dirk well said - - now shall we pause - -and wait for good Ol Brett to make his wonderful appearance - - Oooop well there he is now lol

Kevin Robert Fest

And those honors of course translated into wins right? No l in team. THE TEAM WAS 1-11.

John Fitzgerald

When addressing your "player post season awards" argument, one can simply squash it by simple math; 3-33. It's nice to see the deserving players get these awards, but winning is more important. If you think different then ask the KU Athletics revenue department that's losing millions a year because people aren't showing up to the games.

Jeff Coffman

Try to stick to facts. In 2014, we had two first team Big XII and and one second team all Big XII and four honorable mentions. In addition we had players up for STPOY and DPOY and were listed in the honorable mention category.

If you are going to make excuses for Beaty don't make up stuff. It only makes it look worse.

Jim Stauffer

Jeff,
While we have not won, to say there has been no development is patently false. Too many kids to list.

Jeff Coffman

Then why do I only see our players out of position, our receivers running the wrong routes. Our defensive line pushed to the side with gapping holes. Why do I see an offensive line that can't give 2.3 seconds to our QB.

I know it is because we are playing freshman/sophomores besides Seniors and Juniors like every other team. Just is not true.

As a team there has been no development (only regression).

Brett McCabe

From a sports website: With NMSU, UAB and Florida Atlantic going bowling, the longest active bowl drought now belongs to Kansas, whose last appearance in a bowl game was the 2008 Insight Bowl, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

In addition to gutting the KU football program, Zenger also brought us the plague of Brian Hanni. Now, I can't attend a KU football game and I can't listen to a KU basketball game because our play-by-play guy sounds like a caricature of a caricature of a Warner Brothers cartoon character.

One man has virtually destroyed the Kansas athletic department. And Girod sits on his hands. But according to Zenger, we should just all eat cake.

Jack Hoff

Considering if you tried to do play by play you'd probably sound like a dying rat, who the hell are you to disrespect a man trying to do his job. This is getting out of hand. We are seriously putting our play by play guy down on a publuc forum that our athletes and recruits read. Bottom of the barrel fans.

Gerry Butler

No Jack , not " WE " just wonder boy - -I told you earlier how miserable he is. - -I think if you look at his statements actually we should encourage him to continue - don't get him discouraged - see cause he says he can't come to any Ku football games - -and he won't listen to the Basketball games - don't you understand this is the best thing that can happen for us - -He isn't coming to any more football and he doesn't listen lol. - -The thing is I bet you anything that Coach Beaty & Brian Hanni just toss and turn and toss and turn not being able to sleep at all - -cause OMG - Brett won't come or listen to a game - -lmao. - -I bet they sleep just fine. Like I always say to some people. - -you know what I don't give a rat's rear what you think the sun is still going to come up in the east and sit in the West , if ol Brett boy comes to a game super - -if he doesn't great ain't no skin off my you know what = - ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Andy Hess

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a problem with Hanni's voice. It's awful listening to him call games.

Gerry Butler

The main problem that bothers me some with Brian is, that I wish he would say WHO an individual foul was on, instead of just saying whatever team got the foul, I always keep track of things like this during the game - or what individual got the rebound instead of after the team gets past half court and then just say a team got the rebound. Other then that I'm good with him

Ty Becker

I feel guilty agreeing with you because he seems like a world class guy but I can't stand listening to his voice either. I just feel lucky that I grew up on Max

1 week, 4 days ago

Jeff Coffman

FedEx Orange Bowl, which we won.

Doug Roberts

Nice knowing ya...

Doug Cramer

uh - yeah - doesn't sound like he's "committed" to Kansas.

Bill Kackley

He may not be. But if I was him and had access to this board, which I am sure other coaces do, I would look at the negativity of all you stupid sob's and say why would I want to go play where they have such negative pathetic fans. I don't know how the man can even get one star players to come here after your stupid comentary. If you don't like it don't buy tickets next year but fot God's sake stop trying to screw up any possible success he can have in recruiting. You are pathetic!

Gerry Butler

Exactly Bill. - -But these idiots they would never think of anything like that, - -their response to what you said would be - OH HELL NO that doesn't have anything to do with it. - - Really? - -Seriously? - -I'm like you Bill why in the hell would I want to come to a school where the fan support is so damn negative and personal bashing how much you wanna bet Armstrong is GONE. - -A friend of mine and I were talking just about that with him and Wise. - You can almost imagine Armstrong and Wise both thinking why the hell do I want to stay around here and continue to listen to all this crap - their thinking - these Ku idiots deserve the mess their program is in- -let me go play for money , I don't need this BS - -but these people don't have a clue - your right they are pretty pathetic the program does not need these kind of people - -this is not fans, these are closet fans , fair weather fans. - -like you said negative - - -pathetic - - -un excusable , - -I won't even give them the credit of being called fans - they don't deserve that label. - -There are others that's right there with you Bill. excellent post

Dirk Medema

Is it 10 opponents that are going bowling again? I believe it is just BU & the FCS team that aren't going.

24th rank schedule.

David Kemp

Is that going to be the excuse to every year? And all that Big 12honor nonsense translated into 1 win!

Brian Hosfelt

I really don't think a high school kid reads the comments of 10 or 15 Jayhawk fans that post on here.....you know we use to have 50 thousand fans at the games 10 years ago...lol....no chance this kid signs or his buddy.

David Friend

This board is nothing. Very few people actually post. You should see the Tennessee board. In fact it was the Tennessee fan base that was able to block the Schiano hiring.

There aren't enough KU football fans for the administration to care a rats ass about. And the reason is the administration can care less about KU football to attract fans. But we will have some beautiful facilities!

John Fitzgerald

In a previous post I predicted Jason and Harris would go to Florida. They could still sign with KU but I think Florida has a better chance. Either way, and I've said this before, it doesn't matter who commits we need a coach that can coach them. Let's hope Beaty learns something by next season that he didn't know before.

Bill Kackley

And as I said, their are people who read these posts, show them to coaces recruiting against us and coaches of high school players wh then inform the players. Either way all your negativism can only hurt recruitin, not help. Get your heads out of your asses and think.

John Fitzgerald

Good idea. Let’s blame the fans for Beatys failures. I mean, it’s our fault he went 3-33 in three years, right? And if these guys don’t sign with KU, blame the fans not the 3-33 record.

Bill Kackley

No one is blaming fans for 3-33, just saying what you are doing only hurts not helping. I would love you guys to coach the team, you know so much. We could probably be 0-36 then.

John Fitzgerald

So what you're saying is Beaty is only 3 wins better than what a fan posting on this site would be if they coached the team? You don't have much faith in your coach, Bill...

Gerry Butler

Umm, no- - what Bill is saying is - sure seems like ya all know so much about the game always make the correct calls from your arm chairs , why don't you talk to Zenger tell him you want to apply for the Head Coaching job- -I'm sure you would be 36-0 right? - -I mean you all dissect Beaty and the staff -hell must be really nice to be in-defeated from you couch - put that superior Coaching to the real test so us what you got. - -question is - -why didn't you apply when the position was available?

John Fitzgerald

Your call is to keep a coach that’s 3-33... you’re a genius!

1 week, 5 days ago

Jeff Coffman

I really like that recruits are considering Kansas, I think it is a good job by Beaty and Company. I also, think they have several misses and that there has been a lot loss by losing our previous recruiting coordinator.

However, all of you that think Beaty is coaching for his job, need to explain why? He was coaching for his job three years ago, had the worse ever season, he comes back. The next year we are estatic that we beat a FBS team, and after Texas decided to give us 6 turnovers and basically hand us the game in overtime (which don't get me wrong, I was excited about the future), we somehow thought Beaty deserved to double his salary, with increases and incentives. Now what happened, we are all of sudden expected to believe we are getting better when all we do is beat a DII school and aren't even competitive in most of our games. And I would point out the games that we were somewhat competitive (being vary generous there), the coach made some really outrageous decisions that gave direct points on the board.

Tell me how Beaty is playing for his job, if this year he set the expectation of 6 wins and walked away with kind of 1. Next year he will set the bar at 9 games, win 1 and we will give him a contract extension.

Waylon Cook

Mullen was head coach at MSU, now at Florida.

So basically that is all the article needed to say.

1 week, 5 days ago

Thomas Green

So, some posters here don’t believe it’s a good idea to express negative thoughts on this venue because recruits can see them. Yet Zenger went on a local radio station last week and blasted KU’s facilities in great detail. Is that okay? There are folks out there that consider what Zenger did as sacrilege. If Zenger-who should never say such things publically-can be negative then I guess it’s probably okay for fans to voice their respective displeasure on this particular public forum. I rest my case!

1 week, 5 days ago

['']

Worried that recruits will see this board? Hilarious. You don't think they can see that glaring 3-33 record in the paat 3 years. You don't think other HCs aren't mentioning that to them? You think these kids give 2 ships about friggin facilities? Hilarious.

1 week, 5 days ago