David Beaty says KU has a starting QB, but claims nothing is cemented

Kansas quarterback Peyton Bender throws between Tyriek Starks, left, and Keaton Perry during spring football practice on Thursday, March 30, 2017.

According to head coach David Beaty, the Kansas football team has a clear starting quarterback for Saturday’s season-opener versus Southeast Missouri State — for the time being.

During his time slot on the Big 12 coaches media teleconference Monday morning, the opening question directed to Beaty was simple: Does your team have a starting QB?

“We do, but we won’t be making that announcement until we get to game time,” Beaty replied.

KU’s third-year coach then began walking that statement back when asked whether the No. 1 quarterback or his teammates were privy to that information.

“They do not (know),” Beaty said. “They’re going to compete. They’re going to continue to compete each and every day.”

The Kansas coach then dove into coaching rhetoric to make his case for why the current presumed starter might not be given that job come Saturday night (kickoff at 6, at Memorial Stadium).

“We talk a lot about that term starter is only as good as your next play, your next day, your next anything. So we don’t put a lot of emphasis on that,” Beaty offered. “The first guy that runs out there is only as good as his next, so it doesn’t matter whether it’s the quarterback or any other position. We’d like to find some stability there but it’s going to come down to consistency and being able to do what that position needs to do to be able to help us win.”

Publicly, Beaty and his staff and players have avoided hinting at who was leading a lengthy QB competition between junior transfer Peyton Bender and redshirt sophomore Carter Stanley.

When asked Monday about the possibility of playing both of them this week, Beaty just chuckled and indicated that was a subject on which he wouldn’t speak.

The abilities displayed by both Bender and Stanley behind the closed gates of KU practices this month, according to their head coach, kept him from reaching a decision on a starter earlier.

“It was absolutely a situation where it was close, but at the end of the day it’s one of those deals where most of the time it separates itself,” Beaty said. “And for us, you know, we’ve still got a week left in our mind of what we think we would do. But we’ve still got a week left and if something were to change, it might change. But as of right now we know who we think might be the first one out there.”

Comments

Doug Roberts

I'm worried if we need that much of an edge over SEMO that we can't name a starting quarterback until game time.

Greg Ledom

If it had anything to do with having an edge I would agree with you, but it doesn't. This is his style. It's been that way from the day he arrived. Settle in, buckle up and accept it and let's see who trots out there. My bet is it's Bender, even though I wouldn't mind a bit if it was Stanley. Rock Chalk! Hawks by 4+ TD's. Time to tailgate fellas!

Brett McCabe

If it's anywhere close to a 4TD game, then we are in for one, long, season.

Dillon Davis

Yeah not a fan of this at all. Beaty being wishy-washy about this QB decision is only going to hurt the team. These comments essentially say to the QB who ends up starting that although you may start today, you might not start next week and/or you might not play the entire game. That gives them no confidence and the team has no consistency going into the season and each and every game. Dumb.

Brett McCabe

Beaty didn't learn much from last year when it comes to managing QB's. His stubbornness last year was costly. Let's hope we aren't into phase two.

I'm certain both of these guys know that they have to perform or the job will be on the line....getting in the head of your own QB is Cardinal Sin Number One for a head coach. Beaty did this exact thing last year, and we saw the results. He really needs to get over this high school stuff.

John Fitzgerald

Not naming a QB is a little odd to me. The main issue I see is the team won't be able to spend most of it's reps with the QB 1 to fully prepare for the game. Also, if you're worried that a player will stop competing because they didn't win the starting job then I'd have to say that player doesn't belong on this team. And finally, if you're going to preach consistency you have to follow through on your end as well. And by that I mean name a starter, and name him the starter for the entire year to show him you have faith in him. Keeping both QB's on the hook doesn't seem like the best way to prepare them. But having said all that, I like Beaty and I trust him. There has to be a reason for his madness. 5 more days till GAMEDAY!

Brock Wells

I disagree with the above posts. I understand why fans want to compare last year with this year but it's a completely different situation. Last year our QBs were terrible and no one stepped-up and took over QB1! Montell was given the first opportunity because he is a great young man and his teammates looked up to him.... but he failed to play winning football.

This year we have two guys that can be successful playing QB and HCDB comments about the coaches knowing who will get first shot is a bit different then his talk last year. Plus he plays everything "close to the chest" with regards to any info about his teams... which for fans stinks but is absolutely his right to do so and as John said I trust him as well.

You have to image that the guys know who is going to start and OCDM has mentioned he likes to get as many reps as possible for both 1s and 2s and last time I checked he has a damn good track record.

Dale Rogers

I agree fully with Brock. I suspect it still is a close race and the decision on who will start is still somewhat tentative, depending on how the guys perform this week. And if there is an injury this week, the starter won't know he wasn't the first choice. These are kids, their egos are somewhat fragile no matter what they say. Also, even though SEMO might not be much competition, why give them an edge of any kind a let them game plan for a particular QB?

Marcia Parsons

I agree, Brock. I always figure there is a world of difference between what the coach tells his players and what he releases to the press.

Titus Canby

My theory is that he'll start his #2 QB against SEMO so that Central Michigan will game plan against him. Then he'll start his real #1 against Central Michigan.

I'm not saying it's a smart thing to do, but it could be a possibility.

Brett McCabe

I'm curious about all the "trust" being afforded a coach who is 2-22, including one win against the worst football team in college football. A coach who could not keep his hands out of the stew, or off any of his coaches' plates last year?

Look, I'm rooting for Beaty. I think he could be the guy to get this thing turned around. But suggesting that he should be trusted based on the QB Clown Show from last year is just, again, another sign that KU football fans need to pull their collective heads out.

Earn It doesn't apply just to the players, does it? Beaty fired a terrible OC and hired a better one (Carlie did the same thing), which is a good thing. Now, he needs to get out of the way, stay out of the QB meeting room and, frankly, shouldn't even be allowed to speak with the QB's until he's shown that he's matured as a coach.

All of this monkeying around simply sets himself up for serious questioning later. Just zip the lip and win some friggin' games.

John Fitzgerald

I think you had too much coffee this morning.

Brett McCabe

And so, the cheap shots begin.

John Fitzgerald

Cheap shots? Come on Brett, relax. It was just an observation. And you took the cheap shot at any KU fans trusting Beaty.

Greg Ledom

That was a shot? C'mon Brett. Or were you referring to an extra shot for your coffee, which in that case I stand corrected. : -)

Jim Stauffer

Maybe we trust him because of the good work he has done to improve the roster on this team so far. The hill we asked him to climb was long and steep. He is reaching the top of that hill much quicker than anyone expected. Hold your horses and let him play a full season with a gun that actually has some bullets in it.

Richie Wilson

he's still just 2-22

Brock Wells

Brett you're comparing apples and oranges. I'll explain why I trust HCDB (and most important why his coaches and players trust him) and I take a different perceptive when it comes to him naming himself OC, QB coach and special teams whatever it was last year.

1. AD Zenger made a horrible mistake hiring Weis. He learned from that mistake; hired Beaty and they both knew that KU football had hit rock-bottom and it would take 4-5 years to turn around.

2. Armed with that knowledge, Beaty knew they had a young, inexperienced, over-matched OL and disasters at QB and they were going to struggle to win games. HC took all the pressure off the coaches and players and put it square on his shoulders to take all blame (like what you posted). That earned him respect and trust from those same coaches and players. From last year the OC gone, QB coach gone, 2 out of 3 QBs gone... so yes it was a clown show last year but it couldn't be avoided.

3. How does that same 2 - 22 coach have some of the best rated recruits in the history of our program... because Mother's trust him with their sons and he is genuine, honest human being. As an example... TK just wrote an article about how well prepared his players are for media interviews and that's a direct reflection of HCDB.

So my head is very far out as my ass when it comes to trust, his earn it philosophy, and everything else about the state of the KU program. That's why if we stay pretty healthy this year we are going bowling (which are the stated goals of the coaches and players and that's what matters)... 7-6 baby! Rock Chalk!

Barry Weiss

lol...I like your enthusiasm....but 7-6? a bowl? I do think Beaty needs to take a pretty big swing at that 2-22.

Richie Wilson

Put Brock down for 7 wins!

Lawrence McGlinn

Wow! Not only did we lose 10 games last year, we were blown out in 8 of them. There would have to be so much improvement just to win 4 games. I don't see a bowl. I hope I'm wrong, but no one on the roster and few of the coaches have experienced winning. I'll be the ultimate fence sitter and say I'm skeptical, but I'll be happy if they surprise me. That way, I can say "I told you so" if they suck. I think I deserve it after 35 years of following KU football. I'm traumatized!

Barry Weiss

I'm mostly a basketball Jayhawk, but thought I would come over and check out football. As someone not really up on our team, I took two things away. One, if you are the quarterback named for the opener, look out, you may not last long. Two, maybe naming a starter a bit earlier could get everyone rallying around that player and give them a boost of confidence.

I would like two b-12 wins this year, Iowa State and Kansas State. Maybe throw in Texas Tech for a trifecta.

Tim Orel

I'd settle for beating Oklahoma and K-State. Well, okay, throw in Texas again.

That would be a season that they could build on, right?

Phil Leister

It doesn't take a sports psychologist to see the problem with this line of thought. A guy has to be comfortable and confident enough that a crappy throw or decision here or there isn't going to cost him the next couple games. He's always going to be looking over his shoulder instead of playing free and loose.

I don't like this at all. And anyone saying this isn't the same as last year, these are two different players.... Doesn't matter. Beaty had a QB fiasco last year and he's managing the two QBs this year the exact same way.

Brett McCabe

One of the hallmarks of great QB's are those who can put bad plays, bad throws, even INT's behind them and move onto the next play or series. Tough to do with the threat of losing your job on one bad read or one bad series is constantly being dangled in front of you.

QB's are different. Everyone in the NFL knows this - you can't turn on a sports talk station and go more than 30 minutes without hearing it. I'm not suggesting that they be babied, or not asked to perform, but putting even more pressure on them than they already have is a sure path to creating an insecure QB who is afraid to make a mistake and cannot lead a team.

Steve Corder

As expected, on all accounts.

This only is a surprise to those who have played little or not at all in a major college program in a major college league.....

Whoever starts has to produce....pretty straight forward.

Joe Ross

I dont mean to disparage a fine young man, but either QB is going to be better than Cozart.

John Fitzgerald

Keep an eye on Boise this year. I'm curious if he gets to start and if so I'll be even more curious how well he does. Sometimes players just need to get out of their comfort zones to maximize their potential.

Randy Bombardier

I'm glad the staff knows and feels comfortable enough to say so. And of course they admit things can change. Looking forward to another year of progress.

Justin Kruse

I'm in the market for a new dishwasher. I've narrowed it down to two- a GE and a Whirlpool. There's things I like about each, but I'm definitely leaning towards one over the other. My wife has graciously given me until tomorrow to make my decision and order it. I know she can't wait to see the winner!

As far as QB goes, I'd love to see the coaches make a decision so we can all get behind the guy, and so he can mentally be ready to be the guy. But hey, it's taken me a week and a half to decide what dishwasher to buy tomorrow and I'm still not 100% sure which one I'm going with.

Rock Chalk

Barry Weiss

lol...I don't know if your washing machine story is a joke or the real deal. Good luck! and KU should be tied for first in the b-12 on 9/3

Justin Kruse

Unfortunately, true story. Tomorrow's the day!

Joseph Bullock

You guys do know that it normally takes at least 4 years for a new coach to turn a bad football team around, right? And the team coach Beaty inherited was worse than bad. A coach also has to get his own types of players in, and coach Beaty and his assistant coaches have really done of great job in that regards. And then there is this: How many of you knew that this is the first year since coach Beaty got here, that due to so stupid NCAA Rules, that we have our full allotment of Scholarships (the same was the case with Penn State, but obviously for much different reasons)! So get over last years record, and let's be more Positive, and give our coaching staff, and team a chance! Rock Chalk!

Thomas Green

I'd go with the GE! Whirlpool is crap!

Justin Kruse

That's the one I was leaning towards!