KU junior Svi Mykhailiuk invited to NBA combine

Jackson, Mason also receive invitations

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) heads in for a bucket past TCU guard Kenrich Williams (34) during the first half, Thursday, March 9, 2017 at Sprint Center.

Kansas junior Svi Mykhailiuk recently received word that he had been invited to participate in this year’s NBA combine, May 9-14 in Chicago.

The news, which KU coach Bill Self said was expected, is merely the next step in Mykhailiuk’s quest to gather information about his stock and status for this summer’s NBA Draft, June 22 in New York.

Self told the Journal-World earlier this week that Mykhailiuk had gone through the steps with the underclassman pre-draft advisory committee and gained valuable information from that.

While Mykhailiuk has spent most of the past month working out in preparation for his NBA workouts, the next step is to meet with and compete in front of actual NBA scouts and general managers at the combine to see if the information he received from the pre-draft advisory committee either holds up or changes.

Self said the opportunity to talk directly with NBA GMs would be the biggest advantage for Mykhailiuk at the combine but he also will be able to battle with other draft hopefuls in live-game settings and a variety of skill-related drills.

Mykhailiuk still has not hired an agent, which keeps open the possibility of him returning to Kansas for his senior season.

He will have 10 days from the end of the combine to decide whether to pull his name out of the draft pool and return to school or stay in and leave early, which puts the next date to watch for significant news in Mykhailiuk’s draft-testing process in the May 15-24 range.

Josh Jackson and Frank Mason III, two former Jayhawks who definitely will be staying in the draft, also received invitations to this year's combine in Chicago.

Mason, whose national-player-of-the-year season sent him surging up draft boards from not listed to late second-round, seems to be the biggest winner of the KU trio. The opportunity for Mason to show his skills, work ethic and attitude to the entire league gives him a much better chance of getting drafted.

Jackson, meanwhile, remains locked in as a projected Top 3 pick and, with an impressive combine showing, still could be in play for the No. 1 overall selection.

Comments

Dirk Medema

Good news for Svi.

No news from Duvall? This all makes me more hopeful. Matching him up with Graham and Newman is a crazy backcourt and to have Vick Garrett and Cunliffe as reserves is way over the top. Doesn't seem as 4 guard friendly as having 6-8s but creates all sorts of matchup problems - both ways.

Matt Tait

Latest I've heard on Duval doesn't sound good for Kansas. Jayhawks will be fine with or without him, though.

John Fitzgerald

I agree with Matt, we really don't have a chance at Duval. With Svi's decision in the wings it's not likely we'll get another commit until he makes an official decision. And Duval won't want to wait that long. Also, he can start at Duke, Arizona, or Seton Hall. No way he starts over Newman or Graham. And to be honest, I'd rather have Svi back fresh off hearing from the NBA on what he needs to improve on. He'll be determined and know exactly what he needs to do to improve his draft stock.

Matt Tait

Well said. But it's worth pointing out that Duval is going to start wherever he ends up. If he came here (which he's not) he would start WITH Graham and Newman and would make up one-third of the best backcourt in the country.

It'd be fun to see but, as I said, it doesn't sound like there's much hope that it'll happen.

Dirk Medema

I would have expected Duvall to have made a decision by now, so the longer he waits the better it seems to, but I certainly don't know what he will or won't do.

It's worth noting that he has said he could see himself playing alongside Devonte, and as Matt reiterates, would make a killer starting trio.

Brian Skelly

With Svi getting an invite, it seems the path is paved for him to go pro. Unless he just gets completely schooled by the other guys in the combine, which I doubt would happen but who knows.

He'll be a pro this year or next regardless. And remember, he's well younger than folks in his "class".

Matt Tait

I just don't think very many people are seeing Svi as a first-rounder. So the question becomes does he want to go anyway and give it a shot or leverage his age, return for his senior season and try to improve his draft stock.

For what it's worth, I think he'll be back.

Creg Bohrer

Matt. I just looked at the list on ESPN and I didn't see Svi listed. Frank and Josh are listed but not Svi.

Matt Tait

That's just because they haven't confirmed it.

Harlan Hobbs

You make an interesting observation, Dirk. While I don't expect Duval to pick KU, he was supposed to have made his choice by now. The fact that he hasn't picked the presumptive favorite, Duke, by now makes me wonder what he might be thinking.

The longer he puts off his decision, the better I think KU's chances are since we don't have a scholarship to give unless Svi doesn't return.

Of course, as you aptly point out, we are pretty well stocked at the guard position, so a big man might be our biggest priority if one is available who can contribute immediately.

I should add that you hit the mark as well, Brian.

Brian Wilson

I kind of disagree with everyone here. If Duval wants to come, Self will find a scholarship to give him and one of the others....possibly Garret or someone will get alternative academic scholarships. Where there is a will there is a way.

Gerry Butler

Man , I REALLY hate to rain on your pipe dream , your parade BUT if you honestly think that Trevon is coming to KU then all I can say is ummm , umm, umm come on now your not really serious? - - I mean I would LOVE for Duval to come BUT I also can accept reality. He has been a Duke commit for months -just because he hasn't yet mercy. He was just on their campus AGAIN preparing his muchly anticipated video of his commitment to the Blue Devils, put that with checking and seeing our steady decline of interest from Trevon. We have pretty much been cooked on him for over a month.

If he comes here over Duke at this point you have one hell of a scoop. There is nobody that I know of that has any kind of inside that thinks he is coming to KU , I love KU as much as the next person - -but it's not the end of the world if he doesn't. We are going to be fine with our back court next year. If SVI stays in which I think he will we really need to concentrate more on a Big then any thing else Someone that can work with Udoka - and the person more then anyone else at this point looks to be Tilmon.

It's just time to quit living a fantasy about the possibility of Duval coming here, I know deep down you know that's not going to happen, just time to take a big dose of reality.

Harlan Hobbs

Lighten up a little, Gerry. We've been told all along that there is no way we get Duval. I tend to agree, but that still doesn't explain why he hasn't made his announcement. Maybe he is going to manufacture a birth certificate that says he is 19 so that he can enter the NBA draft. Just kidding!

As I have said, if Svi doesn't return, then I would prefer to use the scholarship for a big man.

Gerry Butler

OH Harlan buddy , no need for me to lighten up, just tellin it like it is, sometimes have to really take a very direct approach so SOME understand Dual IS NOT coming, get over it. The sun will still come up In the East and sit in the West, it's not like he is the 2nd coming. -Sure it would of been nice but he is just a miss like a lot others this year, and yet we are going to be fine, our season doesn't depend on ONE kid - -that's why it's called a TEAM game because it's a team not one. Don't worry about me lightening up there pander Harlan just worry about Harlan K ?

3 weeks, 1 day ago

Tony Bandle

My opinion is do you want a OAD for one year or do you want Devonte back for a fourth year?
I think it's just that simple. The moment Devonte declared his return, Trevon scratched KU off his list.

Look at the situation. He can be the lead guy at Duke, no questions asked or he could join a team of guards at KU [Graham, Vick, Conliffe, Newman, Garrett and probably Svi] and fight for PT.

What many people seem to be overlooking is Malik. I saw him play and this kid is A STUD!!!
It will be Graham, Newman, Azu, Svi and Preston next season, with Vick, Colby and Conliffe [when he's eigible] first off the bench, Bet on it!!

Dirk Medema

"The moment Devonte declared his return, Trevon scratched KU off his list."

Except that Duvall said at the time that he could see himself playing alongside Graham. That doesn't mean that he's coming, but it certainly does seem to make your statement off base.

Brett McCabe

I won't be shocked to see Svi go pro, even as a projected 2nd rounder. I could see him thinking he'll have a better chance to play and develop in the D-League vs. fighting for floor time with the Jayhawks. Both Wayne and Diallo have shown you can fight your way up.

I think Svi's gone unless he tanks at the combine - which is why Self has stated that he's still out recruiting for this class.

What the NCAA could do, since it so staunchly an academic-focused organization, is to allow grad students to play (up to a total of 6 years). Then we could bring Landen back - and we'd be all set.

Brian Wilson

Svi loves it at KU. From what I understand his family is not in desperate need of NBA money. I think Svi will choose what makes him happy. If he doesn't get a warm fuzzy from one of the NBA teams then he comes back.

Brett McCabe

I'm sure that is true. He might be wisely going through this process to get exposure and to gain experience, but I don't think that loving KU and wanting to go the NBA are mutually exclusive.

Robert Brock

Goodbye, Svi. It was great watching you play for the Jayhawks. Good luck!

Harlan Hobbs

You're probably right, Tony. However, that still doesn't explain the delay if one assumes that Duke is the choice. Maybe there is another school in the mix for Duval, perhaps Arizona or Seton Hall? Both were on the last list that I saw.

Arizona lost Markenen as a one and done, but they stole Ayton aware from KU and now Shaquille O'Neal's son has also committed to them. Finally, Alonzo Trier says he is returning, so some of the early polls for next year have U of A #1.

Bryce Landon

Svi isn't ready for the NBA. Not based on what I saw of him from early February to the end of the season. He couldn't keep control of the ball or guard opposing players consistently. He should return for his senior year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Titus Canby

When players like Jackson, Mason and Svi are spending "most of the past month working out in preparation for his NBA workouts," do they come back to Lawrence for classes? I've always assumed that someone like Jackson, who knows he's turning pro, doesn't even attend 2nd semester classes at all. Anyone have insight into this?

3 weeks, 1 day ago

Steve Grimm

I am slightly surprised that somebody like Duval have to already committed to Kansas. They have a chance to make history for a very long time by being conference champions for the 14th year in a row. That is near immortality in college basketball lore.

I am sure Self is pressing that button in every living room.

So, perhaps that is something Duval is weighing....

We will be good next year, but I think so will the rest of the Big 12. Duval can be the difference in shutting down all hope for other teams to contend and deny our destiny.

3 weeks, 1 day ago

Barry Weiss

I just don't see Svi coming back at all. NBA D league or Europe.

3 weeks ago