Sharing the load: Jayhawks' stable of backs successful in 31-14 win over South Dakota

Kansas running back Brandon Bourbon falls into the endzone for a touchdown against South Dakota during the fourth quarter on Saturday, Sept. 7, 2013 at Memorial Stadium.

Podcast

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Charlie Weis

Kansas coach Charlie Weis talks to reporter following the Jayhawks' 31-14 victory over South Dakota on Sept. 7, 2013.

Listen to episode

Box score

KU-USD

After a half of trying to get the passing game going, a few drops and even that elusive touchdown reception by a Kansas University wide receiver, the Jayhawks turned to what they do best in the second half and ran right at visiting South Dakota to put the finishing touches on a 31-14 season-opening victory.

Leading just 14-7 at halftime, KU's new-look defense forced a three-and-out on the second half's opening series and the running backs took it from there, ripping off a 12-play, 71-yard drive that featured 12 straight runs from three different backs and was capped by senior James Sims' second touchdown of the night.

“We went in at halftime and said, 'Hey, fellas, we're just gonna run the ball down their throats and that's what we should be able to do,'” Weis said after KU's opener that drew a crowd of 41,920 to Memorial Stadium on a hot September night. “It was too close for a team that I thought should be controlling the line of scrimmage. So, offensively, I said, 'We're gonna go ram it down their throat.'”

That 12-play drive was representative of KU's entire night offensively, as Sims teamed with Darrian Miller, Tony Pierson and Taylor Cox to finish with 257 yards on 41 carries, a total that was only bolstered by junior Brandon Bourbon's two carries for 32 yards, which included an eight-yard touchdown run late.

Last year, week in and week out, it was Sims who did the heavy lifting for the Jayhawks, sometimes finishing with as many as 29 carries and an inevitable date with the cold tub after each game. Saturday, Sims tallied 94 yards and two touchdowns on a modest 16 carries. Instead of being down about his lighter workload, the senior was all smiles after the game.

“I feel less beat up,” Sims said. “It's helpful. It changes the mentality and the way the offense is going. You can have a power back, a speed back. We bring different attributes to the field.”

Miller, who carried five straight times for 50 yards on that 12-play touchdown drive, finished with 72 yards on 14 carries, Pierson added 47 yards on five carries and Cox contributed 44 yards on six carries.

The Jayhawks' opening-night effort had plenty of ups and downs. Kansas committed nine penalties for 71 yards, the Jayhawks dropped five passes in junior quarterback Jake Heaps' first 12 throws and Heaps himself finished just 10-of-20 for 110 yards. But one of those passes went to wide receiver Justin McCay for a touchdown, and those moments — the big, sigh-of-relief-type moments — were all that anyone wanted to remember after this one.

Defensive tackle Keon Stowers offered one when he intercepted USD quarterback Josh Vander Maten early in the second quarter and returned it 42 yards for what appeared to be a touchdown. The return came back because of a block in the back, but the image stuck with Stowers and his teammates.

“Actually, I taught him those moves,” Weis joked.

Added Stowers of the heartbreak of having the TD called back: “I was disappointed. ... I still can't believe it. When I got on the sideline, it really hit me that I just intercepted a pass and ran it into the end zone. I was joking with the DBs the rest of the game, saying, 'Yeah, I'm leading the team in picks right now.'”

When you consider that KU (1-0) had won just six times in the past three seasons and snapped a painful 11-game losing streak with Saturday's victory, all of the good vibes make a little more sense. The offense was not crisp from start to finish. The defense, which featured nearly a dozen new faces, still gave up too much in the running game — USD (1-1) ran for 219 yards on 43 carries, including 19 for 78 by Vander Maten — and the 17-point margin of victory was not as big as most had expected. Didn't matter. They won. And now the fun begins.

“I'd say it was a typical first game and I think everyone will be able to learn a lot from this game,” Weis said. “It's been a long time since they've won a game here. It's been a year. ... They still won't be allowed to go to the bars tonight. I told them that they should go enjoy this with their family and friends, but it's just the first step.”

The best part, as far as Weis was concerned? There's plenty of good still ahead.

“We do have a lot more ceiling,” he said. “There's zero doubt in my mind. We're not close to where we can be.”

Comments

ahpersecoachingexperience

How'd the track look?

ahpersecoachingexperience

Sidenote: unis looked good

Dirk Medema

I still wish they had chromed silver helmets with the Jayhawk. Not a fan of the whites.

Bryce Landon

I think it would kinda be fun to go out there looking like the Patriots, since Weis used to work for the Pats. But I actually thought the uniform combo tonight was a nice one. Looked old school. Looked like the SMU Mustangs or the Buffalo Bills

Steve Reigle

The silver with the Jayhawk would look really good with those uniforms. Much better than the white.

Bee Bee

I d settle for leather helmets if they win more than one game.

Ron Prichard

At one commercial break they showed the new uniform combinations on the jumbotron. There are several combinations and they all look pretty cool. There are some grey jerseys that are sweet. We're definitely going to look cool this season.

ahpersecoachingexperience

Double sidenote: how does Mack Brown still have a job.

Chris1955

Courtesy of DeLoser Dodds.

Michael Bratisax

Good question. They got smacked!

Micky Baker

Mack fired the D-Coordinator, probably should be Brown getting the boot.

jhox

Track looked fast.

ahpersecoachingexperience

Triple sidenote: okie state is in deep doo-doo

Randy Bombardier

Good. I always knew "the man" was another Gene Chizc, slick without any real substance.

Marvin Blackburn

Deep doo-doo huh? well, they are in "Stoolwater" Oklahoma. What did you expect?

Michael Bratisax

Not that surprised, especially with Les Miles at the helm.

Doug Cramer

Our boys in the trenches are in big trouble. And something is up with Quel. He didn't play a single snap. Not gonna speculate what it is...but something's off.

Thought Heaps looked real good. Again...concerned about his pass protection. Also thought our runningbacks a looked great. It's nice to see Miller and Bourbon complimenting Sims. Also...Sendish looks fundamentally sound with his tackling.

Doug Cramer

Forgot to mention special teams. Great improvement there. Nice job Embree...and it's nice to have a field goal kicker...even if we got him from McCollum Hall :)

ohjayhawk

The guys announcing the game on the Jayhawk Network made mention that Marquel started the game, and that was something they (the announcers) weren't expecting. So, I don't know if they misread a number (which is entirely possible), or not, but it sounds like he played some at the beginning at least.

texashawk10

The announcers were horrible last night. They frequently misidentified players including whenever Matthews ran the Jayhawk formation and when Heaps moved back to QB.

Rivethead

They called Darian "Darin" all night. That's the biggest thing that bothered me.

ohjayhawk

At least the play-by-play guy got it right and called it the Jayhawk formation. The color guy continued to call it the Wildcat formation all game long! I agree, they were not good at all.

Jonathan Allison

I tuned in midway in the 2nd quarter, and was specifically looking for Quel and didn't see him. The commentators LOVED Keba A. which I thought was a little odd.

BayPark

I saw more of Dexter Linton than I did Sendish.

Micky Baker

If Sendish was the Free Safety and he didn't have to make a tackle, that's a good thing, isn't it?

Randy Bombardier

Unfortunately, I had to listen to the game on KJHK, the student radio station on my phone. Even then, I missed parts. I like the impact of Conner Embree. Seems to me that we need to go to Ford more. Also, seems like the pattern always has been and definitely should be with us is run to set up the pass. (But on 3rd and long don't do play action...please?)

Suzi Marshall

Team looked like we have a chance to be pretty good this year. Biggest concern by far was the O-line. The O-line will one heck of a project to bring around.

Ethan Berger

Look at the big picture. 7 of the 10 conf teams are below average right now. We might have to make strides, but sadly we were one of the better looking teams for their first game.

David Leathers

Get over the call by Weis for God's sake. It was the right call. Football is a game of numbers. 4th and 4 or 3rd and 19... Hmm... I'm with Weis on this one.

pepper_bar

We were originally told we'd see these surveys once every 24 hours. Instead, I get them on every single page on KUSports.com (except the home page), and every message board thread I open. Disappointing.

Randy Bombardier

Good grief I am so tired of you bitches complaining about having to make a click on your mouse. Grow up.

pepper_bar

Once every 24 hours would be no big deal. Once every page sucks.

Jesse Newell

pepper — Once per page shouldn't be happening. Most likely it's an issue of your computer not accepting cookies. Email me at jnewell@ljworld.com and I'll try to help you troubleshoot.

KatnissHawk

Ii don't get the surveys at all whilst using my ipad.

alittlecurious

My iPad won't open the JW any more... it pops up a message saying something like "won't open page because of too many re-directs"!

Marcia Parsons

Someone must be out to get you. I get one on the first article I open and occasionally a second one before I can read messages. Some days I don't get any.

Jim Roth

Do you read grocery fliers online? They really want to know.

Steve Reigle

Twice I've had those long series of questions where at the end they tell me I'll have no more questions for a week. But, very next time I open a page, there's another question. This has happened twice so far.

Max Ledom

Very very angry with the lack of James Sims' carries. The guy is our best player. No matter how good our RB's are, he needs 20+.

Michael Sillman

I have to disagree. Darrian Miller looked like the best running back to me.

90sHawk

Agree entirely. Sims was pretty good, but Miller was the most impressive RB of the night.

David Leathers

You're all wrong. The best RB was Bourbon. Those two carries were man carries. I'd like to see him with 6 straight runs like Miller had in the 3rd. Probably wouldn't even have needed all 6 to score.

Micky Baker

I don't agree, when Sims got to the outside, he is way faster than last year and still has the power up the middle.

90sHawk

Sims is the better back, more powerful than Miller. And Sims is quicker than last year. Just my opinion Miller looked a little better Saturday night.

Rivethead

Miller had the advantage of a worn down D and dedicated running attack (meaning he didn't have to worry about picking up a blitz). In his first stint at KU he was bad at picking up a blitz. That's the reason he won't be top dog this season. Taylor and James are COMPLETE backs. In time Darian can get there but he isn't right now.

Rivethead

Well I think being a bonehead for getting one of the worst unsportsmanlike conduct penalties probably had something to do with his lack of carries. Or at least it should have.

BayPark

The dropped pass and fumble didn't help either.

Ron Prichard

Read Sims comments from after the game. He feels better and agrees it is better to distribute the carries.

John Fitzgerald

I think the best thing to take away from this game is that we won. Lets be honest, how can we have legitimate expectations anyway? This is only Weis's second year coaching KU, and he pretty much had a new team coming in. Some familiar faces, but the offense and defense have completely changed from previous years. Also, it's rare that players come into a school and make an impact right away regardless if they're juco players or freshmen. That being said, the players from last year showed strong improvements. And the players that played their first game with KU played good as well. This team has top 25 talent, they just don't have the time working together. That will hurt them in the end, but we will play a lot of close games this year, and in a few of those we will be on the winning side. We have to be positive and trust that our coaching staff is doing everything they can to win. Here's to a fun year of football and all I want for Christmas is a bowl bid! Woo Hoo!

peter56321

Isn't this around the time we started calling for HCTG's head? I'm not condoning that here, but to argue "this is only Weis's second year" seems pretty nonsensical.

John Fitzgerald

I'm confused by your response ... do you think 2 years is enough to turn a program completely around? If so ... prove it. And honesty I'm just trying to keep the positive vibe alive. Too many of you posters are ignorantly disrespectful to the progress of the team and need to understand the logistics of coaching and recruiting before judging or jumping to conclusions. Fast progress or slow progress is still progress. I'm just happy to see us going in the right direction.

John Fitzgerald

You're ignorant because you don't know what Weis has gone through. It's not your fault that you don't know what goes into coaching and recruiting. If I said you were all stupid, then take offense. But ignorance only means lack of knowledge. The information is now in front of you. Anymore ridiculous responses then yes, you will be stupid.

Adam Miller

If you're complaining about Turner Gill's dismissal and comparing Weis's running of the team to his predecessor, you're out of your mind. It all worked for the best. Weis is doing a fair job. Gill gets to coach at Jesuscamp, and I'm sure he's happy about it. If anyone got ripped off it was Mangino for being fat -- oops, I mean for saying naughty things to the delicate players... then again he walked away with a nice thick sack of loot, so I doubt he can feel all that bad about it either.

Anywho, back to my main point. KU won today, so how about we go with the whole "wow cool deal" thing.

Bryce Landon

Gill deserved to have his head called for, because he clearly did not know what he was doing.

Micky Baker

No, actually it isn't. When we lost for the second time at home to K-State by allowing them to score 50 plus, it was time for TG to go. There was no improvement at all under TG. NONE.

JayHawkFanToo

You are comparing apples to oranges. HC Gill inherited a program a couple of year removed from and Orange Bowl appearance and that had just upgraded its facilities, and proceeded to run it into the ground. HC Weis inherited a program in shambles, and most unbiased observers would agree that there has already been improvement.

FinalFinal

Weis looks. Better than Gill. Not as good as Mangino or Mason.

Penalties show lack of preparation & discipline.

Rivethead

Absolutely agree. IMHO, this should be the top story of the day: how undisciplined our players were. That number of penalties isn't "first game jitters". It's something indicative of far worse. When you're 1-11 and one of the worse teams in America, the last thing you can afford to do is shoot yourself in the foot. I guess we'll know next week if it was all just a fluke.....

captku

So, how much is First Game Jitters, and how much is really lack of discipline? I didn't get to watch, but feel from reading that the whole smorgasbord of dropped balls, dumb penalties, etc, makes me wonder. I know we need to learn each other as a unit, and as we do that we will get better. Last thought for those of you who did watch, can Heaps scramble? Sounds like he will need to this year.

90sHawk

Heaps has much better mobility than Crist showed, much better. I know that doesn't say a lot but its a stark difference. If we have to rely on it we're in trouble; Heaps is a pocket passer, and accurate. He won't be mistaken as a dual threat but can run when necessary.

Rivethead

I don't think Heaps will need to scramble. I was amazed at the amount of time the OL gave him to throw the ball. We just have crap WRs right now who (like last year) struggle to get open and drop the ball when it hits them in the hands.

Regarding your first question, I don't think many of the penalties were first game jitters. Maybe a false start or two, but most were just evidence of lack of organization, concentration, or just boneheaded.

hotrodm

KU won, kicking game better, quarterback a lot better, running game looks great. This team will continue to improve, so enjoy the season.

Bryce Landon

For the most part, the Defense looked pretty good to me, with the exception of a couple of lapses here and there.

kellerman411

What game did you people watch? The score was kept even remotely close by dropped passes, fumbles and penalties. All fixable issues. I thought every single aspect of play was improved.

Jesus, the opponent had a game already to work out some wrinkles and it was maybe the hottest day we have had so far in Kansas.

Heaps looked great. Not scared, eyes downfield at all times and his chance throws were all way downfield similar to a punt with no pick 6 opportunity.

Again, it sounds like I'm alone but I thought they looked good. Just have to clean it up.

texashawk10

KU was their first game and made plenty of mistakes that are typical of teams playing their first game. South Dakota was playing their second game and wasn't making first game mistakes that I'm sure they did last week.

DaNeille Dani Davis

Some of you need to lighten up! Yeah, there were some mistakes made but overall, I think we played a pretty good game! There were many bright spots and and some great play on offense, defense and special teams. I'm really looking forward to watching more of this team. We're only going to get better. This was just the first game for crying out loud. Give them a break and confidence! Quit always trying to find faults! A bunch of negative nellies on here! Rock Chalk!!

Michael Bratisax

A win over S Dakota beats a loss to N Dakota...

nuleafjhawk

E xactly

M an,

A

W in

Bryce Landon

You will cease to post those initials on this site immediately! (sarcasm font)

tical523

I think we looked good, all the mistakes were first game stuff and seem fixable such as penalties or confusion. The O-line pass protection will get better this week with Grundhardt and Weis watching film with the hogs. Also, very hard to judge the quality of these FCS schools in these games, sure they were horrible last year but if they play as hard every game as they did yesterday they will win a lot of games. . . . kind of like judging that early march madness 15 seed and that quarterback was pretty tough. Eithe way I see us going in the right direction and next week's game is huge. Can't wait

tical523

Also, dropped passes were scary early but were not an issue the rest of the game.

Rivethead

We only threw the ball 3 times after halftime. That might have something to do with it.

machinegun

Heaps looked great? 10/20, 110 yards, 1 WR TD? How about Josh Ford made Heaps look good albeit for just one catch. Josh Ford played with heart and determination. Maybe Weis will start to appreciate that which is so obvious to anyone paying attention.

Andy Godwin

It was clear that Heaps is very accurate (what a breath of fresh air after last season) and the receiving core has a long way to go if the passing game is to be decent.

90sHawk

10 of those in-completions were dropped passes my friend. Throws that were right on the money and simply dropped. Heaps was accurate and looked good. Took a couple risky chances in coverage but they were deep and have no problem seeing him take the risk. Better than very conservative all the time.

Ron Prichard

Heaps didn't look great, but he looked good. At least 3 and maybe 4 of those passes should have been caught and one was a throw away. 15 of 20 looks a whole lot different than 10 of 20. Heaps was definitely accurate last night.

Micky Baker

Did you even watch the game at all?

texashawk10

QB: B-, Heaps was decent last night, not great, but not bad either. Early drops by the WR's killed him early on. I only remember a couple of poor decisions by Heaps last night throwing into double coverage. I would say that most passing game issues this year will be from the WR's and OLine this year.

RB: B+, Sims fumble cost KU 7 points and kept the ground game from being an A. The running game will be the strength of the team again this year which I don't think is any surprise. Cox's hamstring is a concern and I know what Weis is saying about the injury, but that looked like a pulled hamstring to me.

WR/TE: C-, A lot of early drops on very catchable passes and there were struggles to get open last night. On the plus side though, the blocking was above average and will help break some big runs this year. It was great to see a WR finally catch a TD last night. The other WR's need to step up otherwise McCay is going to get double teamed a lot. Lining up McCay and Pierson on the same side will help that a lot.

OLine: C, There is a lot of potential with this group and I can see why Weis was saying this line could end up better than last year's, but they aren't there yet though. The left side of the line played very well in both run and pass blocking while the right side, specifically RT, was the weak spot on the line. Most of the pressure getting to Heaps was coming from the right side and I wouldn't be surprised to see a different face at RT in practice and game day next week.

DLine: D, There wasn't much that was impressive about the DLine last night. Gave up over 200 yards rushing, and struggled to get pressure on the QB on their own. The DE's were also losing containment on the QB a lot which will be a concern whenever KU plays a team with a mobile QB.

LB's: B, The LB's were the strength of the defense last night. Heeney and Faifili are a very good pair and were making plays all over the field last night.

DB's: B-, They secondary didn't get tested much as SD only threw 18 passes the who game, but the secondary did their job well when SD did throw. It was nice to see some man coverage last night, but we'll see how long that keeps up as the competition gets better.

Special Teams: A, That was a very pleasant surprise last night. Field goals are once again an option for KU, Pardula has a leg to get the ball into the endzone as long as he's not kicking into the wind. Connor Embree was a very pleasant surprise returning punts last night. I still would like to see Tony Pierson on kickoffs because he's such a dangerous weapon and he could one of the elite returners in college football.

Overall I would give KU's performance a C+. There were definitely some concerns coming out of the game with the right side of the OLine and the DLine being at the top of the list, but there was enough positives last night to be hopeful that KU can win some more games this year.

90sHawk

QB: I thought Heaps was a solid B+. First game back after sitting out a year. Yes, besides a couple questionable throws into coverage he was accurate all night. The anti-Crist. We need our guys to take off the oven mitts and catch the ball. Too many drops.
RB: Miller was the most impressive RB to me last night. Sims was good despite him costing us a TD with that fumble, but Miller ran better than anyone I thought.
OL: Inconsistent. SD was able to crash downhill way too often and blow up a play.
DL: I wasn't impressed either. Too many time they were able to run between the guards for significant gains. Rice can run much, much better and this is a big concern for next week.

Rivethead

I honestly thought the problem with the DL was too much substitution. We didn't seem to ever have the same group of guys out there. And Marquel played very little, which is strange (something is up). I thought Ty McKinney played very well....and that dude is 3rd sting....so maybe he's a gamer.

90sHawk

I see your point with all the substituting, but this is the game to rotate guys in and see what they can do. But the subbing isn't an excuse for getting knocked off the ball the way they were at times. Couldn't tell you if it was anyone specific or not, just an observation from watching the game as a whole.

utahjayhawk

It's early but I think we're heading down the same path as in recent years. We comfortably beat a FCS (weak) team, we'll probably place Rice close, maybe win, maybe lose. We'll probably get a cole of conf wins if we come together. I don't accept the "we played better than most teams in the conf" stuff - I think we played the weakest team of all. Our score should have been more like the TTU score if we wanted to show progress from last year.

TommieSmithElbow

You mean the Texas Tech team that struggled in Week 1?

I think our 2nd game against Rice is much more difficult than playing a dead Texas statesman. While we all would have liked to have seen more points yesterday, the schedules aren't really comparable.

Too early to foresee what path we're on. Let's see what unfolds in the next 5-6 weeks first.

90sHawk

I think somewhere in between will tell us how the season will go. While one game is just an indicator, we have a lot of new guys, although they need to gel quickly. We'll know where this team is much quicker than 5-6 weeks in. We'll know by the end of the month.

Robert Brown

Tech did not struggle in Week 1. The pounded a decent SMU team which comparable to Rice.

Rivethead

SMU decent? They had to come back and squeak out a W against Montana St. This isn't the same SMU of years past.

Tony Bandle

MULTIPLE CHOICE POST, YOU THE POSTERS CHOSE:

1] I didn't see, hear or read about the game till just now..no credibility/non-prejudiced perception.

2] We won the game [great]/we didn't dominate a horrible team [we suck].

3] The running backs were excellent/ The running backs could have done more.

4] Charlie is a clear upgrade over Turner/ Charlie and Turner are a coin flip.

5] Jake is as good as hoped for/ Jake needs to improve greatly.

6] The kicking game is greatly improved/The kicking game is incredibly improved!!

7] The white helmets are awful/ The white helmets are awful. [Sorry, didn't give you much choice there :) ]

8] This season is going to show a great improvement in KU competiveness/ With my apologies to The Who..here comes the new season, same as the old season.

9] The C+ evaluation is accurate and is encouraging/ The C+ evaluation is accurate and demoralizing.

10] I'm really looking forward to the next week's game../ I'm really looking forward to Late Night.

Personally, I see this season as one long warm up for 2014, so whatever good happens, will be a plus and whatever bad happens will be chalked up to growing pains!!

Micky Baker

All of these posters that didn't pay attention all fall camp are now coming out and now they think they are more informed than the others. Low football IQ for the bandwagoners.

Steve Reigle

Different question.... So why did Metro Sports keep its cameras so far out during play action, zooming in only for replays? I'm watching the Chiefs as I write this and it's far easier to see what's going on than it was during our game. And why no simulated line of scrimmage and first down line?

CHEEZIT

Yea, couldn't tell who had the ball sometimes!

90sHawk

With all the game analysis, I'll throw my 2 cents in on the atmosphere/fans. Pretty good crowd despite the oppressive heat. Around 42k. Upper SE corner of the stadium was empty but overall it was good. Quite a few people leaving 5-6 mins into the 4th qtr when we seemed certain to get the win; not simply students. Student side made some noise but its tempered when the west stands act they're at a symphony, not a football game. Disappointed to hear people around me in the west stands say to each other "ready to go now?" with 8:00 left on the clock, but that's par for the course as this section has absolutely no excitement to it at all. Might as well have been watching the game with corpses around me. I'll sit in the bowl or east side for any remaining games; those people are complete downers.

90sHawk

Definitely a good crowd considering the heat. No way was I going to sit on the east side for this game. A lot had to do with my pregnant wife. She even sat through it all like a champ. I'll be on that side next time though

Ron Prichard

I sit in section 21 which is right nest to the student section. No one can blame the students for leaving at the half. On the other hand, the alumni should be ashamed of themselves. I took some pictures early in the 3rd quarter that I will try to attach. And these are good seats near midfield.

90sHawk

I was in section 7, 30 yd line. This crowd was disappointing as I mentioned above. I cheered and yelled, all without cursing, and they still look at you like your alien or something. I kid you not the 6 middle aged folks in front of us sat the entire game, maybe said a few words to each other, but otherwise went about there evening as if they were at their granddaughter's recital. If you can't get excited about the atmosphere of live football watching your alma mater, heck just save yourself the cash and a really sweaty night and watch from home.

nuleafjhawk

Wait - WHY should no one blame the students for leaving at the half? Shouldn't they be there supporting their friends and classmates? Or do the bars close early on Saturday night now?

Ron Prichard

I didn't do a good job explaining my point. The student section was almost completely full during the 3rd quarter but my section was half empty. The students supported the team much better than the alumni.

troutsee

Defense needs a lot of work against the read option. This was the most glaring deficiency that I saw. Very worried about our D....once again.

Also pass protection not good. But, again, most of the patterns were deep. We threw very few quick passes.

Dyrk Dugan

the game went about expected....we struggled some with all the new faces...new QB, new o line, new secondary......but i know we'll improve...and some things already have:

the kicking game, DEFINITELY has improved...Pardula boomed everything...punts and KOs....that tall skinny kid has a rocket for a leg. and the new place kicker? never made a FG in organized football in his life? no problem on the 45 yarder, thank you very much.

our d line? wow, great start...two sacks in the first half of the first quarter...and not much to speak of after that. if Marquel Combs can't get on the football field with this unit.....there's a doghouse and he has the keys. the option game with the QB left us completely befuddled. i'm hoping that was something we didn't prepare for, or scout for....because if we did, a long season it could be.

i thought our o line was decent. Heaps had time to throw, we just weren't that accurate and there were some drops. Heaps has a good arm....this is the part of the team that will definitely take some experience. Darrian Miller looked good as backup RB.

A lot of things will be solved next week at Rice. could we have a special season? win it, and it's possible. we CANNOT get blown out. it just, no, it just can't be. we get blown out, and 1-11 or 2-10 is definitely possible. so we need to be ready...get Mr. Combs on the field...and get some chemistry in the passing game...and we'll be fine.

Go Jayhawks.

kufanman88

We are in big trouble. Rice wont be nearly as easy next week. Based on this performance, we may be on the verge of a one win season again.

Lance Cheney

I'm a little worried at this point. After watching the game, I noticed a few things. I saw: 1) a QB that loves to throw into double coverage, and whose passes seemed to sail (accurate, but didn't zip); 2) a team that made WAY too many dumb penalties and gave SD too many second chances (looked like Turner Gill ball); 3) a defense that looked pretty decent, but couldn't defend the option. I am hoping this was due to this being our first game, but time will tell. I'm also hoping that Weis opens up the playbook a little more in the upcoming weeks. This game shouldn't have even been close, but we kept them in it.

90sHawk

Agree with all but your first point. I certainly wouldn't say Heaps LOVES to throw into double coverage, he did a couple times I recall and they were fairly deep throws; no real chance of a pick 6. He was pretty accurate, and I thought had some zip. Wasn't throw a lot of loose ropes that I saw.

Bryce Landon

Off topic, but it concerns a would-be Jayhawk who wanted to be here but got screwed over by the NCAA: Bad news out of Fresno:

Titus Canby

Thanks for the link, JUD. I'd been wondering where Anderson ended up. I can't believe how the NCAA screwed him, and now this. I hope he recovers well.

Bryce Landon

Great post. And yes, the Jayhawk uniforms last night reminded me of the Buffalo Bills.

Nick Cole

I like the red helmets with blue tops.

Steve Reigle

Excellent post. I'm with you on this one.

I remember when Roy first became coach. Everybody was concerned because he was a first time head coach. He was soundly criticized for just about every move, especially those that didn't work as he hoped. Fifteen years later he can do no wrong. Roy leaves, along comes Bill. Lots of criticism of every move and much "He's no Roy." Now, look. Charlie is trying to right a sinking ship. We have to give him time to do that. It's clear things are better and are improving. I'm looking forward to the day when I can look back and see the progress made.

Bee Bee

Those who have been posting KU will win 6 or more saw last night that is a stretch.
I was rather disappointed with Jake. I was expecting more, especially given the opponent.
I figured this would be a game where he might, LIGHT IT UP.

The team is better. I m still thinking four wins would be a very good year.
Realistically, three. I d like to be wrong.

As far as uniforms go, I don't care. When was the last time Alabama changed their uniforms?
They seem to be doing okay with one home and one road uni. JUST WIN!