Former Jayhawk Mario Little grinding out pro basketball career

Richard Rosenzweig slaps hands with former Kansas player Mario Little as he is introduced before a game at the Bill Self Fantasy Camp on Thursday, May 2, 2013, at Allen Fieldhouse.

Mario Little, with the help of former Kansas University teammate Tyrel Reed, put on quite a three-point shooting exhibition Thursday at the Bill Self Basketball Fantasy Experience.

The 6-foot-6, 210-pound Little, who played for the NBA Development League’s Tulsa 66ers last season, accepted pass-after-pass from Reed and swished trey-after-trey, working up a sweat after taking it easy on the 35-and-older campers during a full-court exhibition game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I think I’m in better shape than when I was here, actually,” said the 25-year-old Little, two seasons removed from his KU days. “It’s more serious now. Not that it wasn’t then, but I was living the college life. My focus is at an all-time high.”

He concedes that it’s serious business now because he’s trying to make a living playing the game. Little played pro ball in Ukraine during the 2011-12 season, before going the D-League route last year.

“Coming from KU and everything, being in Eastern Europe is pretty different. It was good for me. I grew up,” said Little. “This year, they (66ers) invited me to their training camp. I made the team. I was playing well, but guys came down (from NBA) and took my minutes down a lot. At the end of the year, I played much more. It was cool.”

Little — he averaged 3.9 points and 2.1 rebounds during the regular season — had a season-high 14 points in his final game, a second-round playoff loss to Rio Grande Valley.

“I’m trying to grind and make a team like me,” the Chicago native said of an NBA team. “I went to Phoenix last year. They liked me, but the timing wasn’t right. I went to the D-League. I’m about to go back to Phoenix Sunday and start working out with them (Suns) again, see where it takes me. Maybe I’ll do summer league with them.

“I’ve got an invitation with Oklahoma City. We’ll see how everything goes. I think I’m going to try to go play in Puerto Rico and make a little bit more money. The D-League is a great opportunity. The money is OK, but you know, you’ve got to try to make a little more money.”

Little said he had fun playing with and against the elder campers on Thursday.

“They were gunning, though. They wouldn’t pass me the ball,” Little said, adding, “I’m kidding. It was a good experience to get back on the court, play with the lights on a little bit (back in Allen Fieldhouse). It was fun.”

September hoops: The NCAA Board of Directors ruled Thursday that college basketball teams may start practice as early as Sept. 27 this upcoming season. Last month, the NCAA Legislative Council approved a bill to allow 30 days of practice in the six weeks before the first regular-season game. In the past, practice began four weeks before the start of the season.

This means KU could hold Late Night in the Phog as early as Sept. 27.

“It wouldn’t affect Late Night for us, because what we’ll do is still pick a time that coincides with what we think is best and still have Late Night, even if it’s after the first practice,” KU coach Self said recently, indicating the Friday closest to Oct. 15 (Oct. 11 or 18) still figures to be the likely target date. “We’ll do it the exact same way (as the past),” Self added.

Of the decision to start practice earlier than normal, Self said: “I am in favor of this because of this — injuries. The way it is set up, you will get the same number of practices (30 before first game). Starting earlier means you could take more days off. I think that is very positive for everybody.”

Shot clock: Next week, the NCAA rules committee is expected to vote on moving the college shot clock from 35 to 30 seconds.

“I think the 30-second clock would be good and the fans would enjoy that,” Self said. “I also think there’s a couple other things you can do maybe to add another possession or two or three a game, which I think would be positive also. Scoring is down.

“I think officiating needs not necessarily rules changes but emphasis changes to make sure we maybe give a little more advantage to the offensive player in some situations.”

Comments

kusayzone

Same guy on this picture too...there has to be a story brewing....???

Cmill1221

My biggest fear was that college basketball would move to a 24sec shot clock. That is the worst part of the pro game for me. I hate it!!! You get the ball across half court at around 17-18 then you run ONE set. If its not there you have 5-8sec left to get a shot. So what do you do? Pass it to your best player and hope he is better one on one than the other guy. May as well have a MC with a mic at half court like the "And1 Street Ball Tour". They already play Rap "Beats" during some possessions in NBA games. Makes me sick. College basketball is perfect (possession arrow is debatable) please just leave it alone!

Tim Quest

You obviously have no idea what actually happens in NBA games. Your racist NBA horror fantasies are kind of amusing, though.

Miguel Colón

Although I agree that at times the NBA is about get it to the best player and let him shoot and others be darned, dude the rap comment is a litte suspect.

SantaFeHawk

Your politically correct analysis amuses me, however calling someone a racist is over the top. I don't like the 24 second clock either and also believe it hurts the game. As for rap music, a discussion of that should be reserved for another board.

PVJayhawk

Those who don't like rap during a basketball game are racists?? Many people don't like rap at any time and it has nothing to do with racism.

Jack Wilson

PV .. Ah, but yes it is racist. See, anyone that expresses that they dislike anything "black" in nature .. such as pants hanging halfway down the butt or out of control inner city violence .. is, by definition to some, a racist. It makes them feel very good about themselves to label others racist. They can avoid debating facts.

I firmly believe that the rap/hip-hop/gangster culture, and the glorification of criminal activity, of which rap and hip-hop are an integral part of, continue to inspire the deterioration of not only black society and culture, but the entire nation. It's a cancer, creeping into every segment of the population. But a little thing called political correctness .. just what FarneyMac did .. prevents real solutions from being explored. Most are worried about being called or labeled a racist. You can't be critical of "crap" when it is part of black culture .. that's racist.

I'm sure the link below is racist, too. And let me speculate as to how many of the folks in the neighborhoods referenced in the link, that are committing the crimes, are subscribers to the rap/hip-hop culture? And let me speculate as to how many of them tuck in their shirts, pull up their pants, speak with proper grammar, wear their hats straight, and are free of tattoos?

Michael Bratisax

Nice HEM...wouldn't have bothered posting had I read yours.

Cody Riedy

White executives produce and sell rap music, white kids buy rap music. Ninety percent of it has nothing to do with "black culture"; it's "consumer culture", which includes a lot of white people. Kind of like white people who hide in their basements playing video games which consist primarily of using guns to kill people, oh, I guess there are football games too. Anybody talking about the "white problem" of fetishizing violence and murder?

The vast majority of white people are completely incompetent when it comes to talking about race, primarily because they are incapable of seeing themselves as a race. "Black Culture" has a problem? What about "White Culture" - you know the meth epidemic, prescription drug epidemics, white people getting pot legalized, white people stock-piling guns for their anti-government militias, white people keeping racist gangs alive and kicking, etc, etc, Oh, that's not "white culture" that's just a few bad apples...sure.

You want to know why their is violence in black urban neighborhoods. It's called history. Here's some a few very basic details. Let's see, first there was slavery, then migration north, where blacks were not integrated but, low and behold, just like white ethnic immigrants, amassed in poor ethnic ghettos, the only difference is that white immigrants, despite initial racial hatred, eventually assimilated, while blacks where subjected to another 100 years of legal, government sanctioned racism that kept them out of school and out of the economy. Then, in 1964, you know ancient history way back 50 years ago, they passed the civil rights act and "poof" racism ended. And ever since then, according to white folks, black people have just been making excuses and all the PC police have picked on poor ignorant white men everywhere, just making their lives miserable. "Geez, just because your ancestors where bartered as animals, and then lynched with immunity, and then routinely denied equal opportunity in the workforce and in education, and then targeted and prosecuted disproportionally compared to white people, you don't have to be so touchy, every time I complain about those "thugs" and "animals" with their gangsta music." - says the white man.

I'm white, I used to be stupid about race. Then I actually interacted with black people. Then I got educated. Before you help black people by diagnosing their problems for them, why don't you actually get to know real black people, and read a few history and social science books. In fact, start by reading a white man who analyzes race. I promote his books all the time: Tim Wise is the name - check him out.

Jack Wilson

Interesting. But this routine is a real tired one. You are an apologist. You are part of the problem. Every human choice is excused by history. Excuses for the conduct of harming someone. Killing and maiming is a personal choice. You, and others like you, continue to perpetuate this "excuse" mentality that denegrates the idea of human choice, and perpetuates the idea of that their fates are determined.

A child is not shaped by history. A child is shaped by genetics and environment. This is an environmental one.

The problem is simple. Blacks kill, maim, and cause harm at a much greater rate than every other race. But the important question is "why" .. it always is.

I see it every day. The core problem is the lack of black fathers in the home. A pair of caring parents is an amazing thing. Single parents can do it, but add in poverty and multiple kids, and it's nearly impossible. Black moms with multiple children, multiple dads, no involvement by the dads -- black men with the "me first" mentality, and no core values to cause them to understand that they need to support their children. When they live without dads, some want to change that. Many though live as they are raised. How many black KU players have a dad in the stands? Or in jail? How many black KU players have a mom with the same last name as the player? This is the rule. The exception in the black community is father married to the mother of his children. That is fact.

So you can make every excuse in the world. The fact is, poor folks in this country that aren't black, don't kill and maim at the rate blacks do. Not even close. Why is that?

My view is that you can look directly at the rate of fathers in the home. White, black, hispanic, whatever. That, to me, is the single most important indicator of why folks slip into a culture of violence. And right now, that's the predominant failure in the black culture. Couple that with poverty, and you have a horrific combination. If you have strong direction from a father and mother in the home, a child has a much better chance. Financially, emotionally, and socially.

KansasComet

Your comments are unfortunate. I have seen all races in the situations that you listed. No one race is immune. No one gets to pick the "uniform" or the circumstances to which we are born. Every child does not get be born into a two parent home. This world is not perfect. Loved ones die everyday often creating single parent homes. Whether it be someone killed in combat, having a car accident, or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not to mention adultery, domestic violence ,cancer, and alcoholism. These are not excuses, these are facts. There is no need to make disparaging remarks against members of a particular race. It looks foolish to talk about these young men, who in spite of their unfortunate circumstances, made it all the way to the University of Kansas as student athletes. Don't forget that these are the same young men that you cheer for year in and year out. I can talk hoops with you all day, and I would like to think that you are a better person than your unfortunate comments?

Jack Wilson

You completely missed the point of my comment. Of course, everyone of various races experiences many of the same things. and there are many horrible circumstances. What I was talking about was the unfortunate situation of the black community, and a predominant cause. The single parent households I'm referring to are because black fathers don't step up to the plate by choice. You make mention of some conditions that aren't my point. Of course, every kid doesn't choose his lot in life. I point out the KU players because they are a select few that basketball can save. What about the other 999 out of 1000? Lots of kid overcome their circumstance. Many, many more don't. Look at the incarceration stats.

And, respectfully, I'm not a "better person" ... you did not seem to get the point of my comments. I believe that everyone sugar-coating the ills in our society leads to a perpetuation of the problems. All because it makes folks a bit uncomfortable to talk about it.

Just one of many, many links and articles on the subject.

DanR

1 out of a thousand are saved by KU basketball? Wow.

Statistics (rivals) also say that you should be a Kentucky fan. So why are you still here with your racist B.S.?

KansasComet

I get all the points you make, and I can understand them. Our society has a long way to go. There are lots of black males that are excellent fathers and law abiding citizens. This issue is not a black issue. There is a great "Outside the Lines" that shows that there are unfortunate issues in all walks of life.

KansasComet

WindmillGIANT. Thanks. Getting to know people first before commenting is the key. I enjoyed reading your post.

jumpinjayhawk

Farney you must be one of the know nothing, abortion loving, death penalty hating liberals. Anytime someone states something you do not like, you pull the racist card faster than a soccer ref pulls a yellow card on a flop. I wish you stupid liberals would actually use some intelligence and stop crying racism at every other turn.

Michael Bratisax

Seriously..we should ALL make an effort to leave politics off this board. NOTHING good will come from it.

Jack Wilson

So you don't want to bring up politics and you randomly cite abortion. Nice work.

"... staunchly pro-government control of women's bodies." Try "pro-life". See, you (and liberals in general) can't help yourself in trying to make even an innocuous point. It has zero to do with government control. Folks that are against abortion -- nearly all -- are truly such based upon the protection of unborn children. Control of women's bodies has nothing to do with it (though it makes easier for you to rationalize your position and avoid the real point). The belief is that the unborn is a life, and can't protect itself -- valuing that life over a woman's right to choose an abortion procedure. But those that are "pro-choice" don't want to get into the difficult details of life. It's easier to think of it as a "choice." Right?

yates33333

What is racist about Cmill1221 comment. You don't have to be a white guy to dislike Rap and I don't get the "And1 Street Ball Tour" stuff at all. Take my word for it. I aint white.

Cmill1221

For the record FarneyMac. I hate the keyboard music playing wile the game is in progress. What does hating keyboard music make me? The rap beats reference was b/c I specifically heard 50cent "in da Club" playing wile the home team had the ball. (Thank god I only had to listen for 24 seconds)

Marc Frey

I have produced the Alamo Bowl, NBA, Hockey,and Baseball games. What the NBA has done is "homgenized" the games so that every venue sounds and looks the same. Rap beats or just plain beats (whatever you call it), are now played during the action. IMHO I think the NBA is more about sytle than substance. I can see more of a live "MC" like during an All-Star event. Some may say that the NBA is evolving. I am not a fan anymore, other than following our former KU players.

Stephan123

I agree. Way too much noise at the games. I always felt they pumped in loud sounds and music to make up for the lack of genuine fan enthusiasm as one would find naturally occurring at most college games....especially KU!

Michael Bratisax

I feel this comment does border on racism...but racism is usually subjective (unless blatant) so I'm not judging.
There is already enough people making a living by 'exposing' racism in this country. It seems almost anything has a hidden racist double meaning.

I only watch the NBA come playoff time anyways and usually only if a Jayhawk is on one of the teams.

lv_jhwk

I can't stand country music...

nuleafjhawk

racist...........!

DCLawHawk

What about country rap, like Jason Aldean's Dirt Road Anthem though?

TJWhatley

I like how "beats" is in quotes, as if it may or may not be a real thing.

Cmill1221

You could call them "tunes"

Martin Rosenblum

More like Peter Pan!

Michael Bratisax

lol..But it sure looks like they are having fun.

REHawk

Mario Little is a testament to how tough it is to earn minutes in a topranked Division One program and professional basketball. National j.c. POY signs with KU, then eventually shares a redshirt year with Releford while a teen One and Done eats up their minutes. At age 25, still struggling mightily to land a rewarding contract. In the process, earned a degree which, hopefully, he can eventually fall back on to clock lifetime dollars. Not an easy road for even a very talented player.

Michael Bratisax

Agree Kingfisher..the cream still rises to the top. Mario is a talented classy guy...if not the NBA than in Europe.

Martin Rosenblum

Alright "English Majors".....this is one of my curiosities. Somewhere in my past, I believe I was taught that this sort of sentence structure is never correct.....'.Little — he averaged 3.9 points and...".

Instead of the "...he averaged" following the name Little, it is correct to merely say.."Little averaged..." Am I wrong, or is this something that has also become acceptable because of repeated misuse? I have been reading these sorts of sentences here for a long time and have now become curious enough to throw it out there for those of you who can explain it to me and possibly others if it needs attention.

Tim Quest

The phrase "he averaged 3.9 points and 2.1 rebounds during the regular season" is a parenthetical phrase, set apart from the rest of the sentence by em dashes on either end. You have to look at the whole sentence and the context. It is correct (more specifically, it is correct to use a parenthetical phrase in this sentence because the primary point of the sentence was to explain that Little was playing more/better at the end of the season, and Bedore uses the parenthetical phrase to contrast exactly how much better his end-of-season performance was over his season averages).

Beate Williams

That is correct but one could also use commas instead of the em dashes. What bothers me is the misuse of the words "take" and "bring", in every tense. I cannot believe that we have totally lost the meaning of those words, to take is to carry with you to a destination and every tense of thw word has to do with that meaning; bring is to come with something, e.g., will you bring the basketball when you come or I brought the basketball with me. I have become so angry with the misuse of these words in our society that I could scream, FarneyMac just gave me the opportunity to share this obsession I have. Sorry about that.

yates33333

Heck, split infinitives were incorrect a few years back. e.g., "to merely say."

KansasComet

“I’m trying to grind and make a team like me,” That says it all. In college and in pro sports. Sometimes it is not about ability. It is about who(m) the coach wants to give the minutes to. I wanted to see AWIII turn it loose last year, because I felt he was capable of going on a 10-15 point run by himself, if given the opportunity. Unfortunately the opportunity did not come.

Next year's team is loaded with plenty of talent. They have proven it on a high school level, and on an All-Star level in some cases. Remains to be seen which players get to play and which don't. After watching Michigan get it done and advance to the Finals using quite a few freshmen, I hope our incoming freshmen are given the opportunity to earn time on the court. Only time will tell.

Robert Brock

Will Andrew play a lot after January? Brannen, Conner, and Wayne will not be spending a lot of time on the pine, IMO.

KansasComet

Hopefully, they will all get a chance to play meaningful minutes.

Michael Bratisax

Yes..I'm sure he will be averaging 15 min or more per game this season.

With a few exceptions, Self will handle this year's incoming class the same as other freshman classes..on a short lease.

Dirk Medema

AWIII got opps this season. There were 3 times (TTU, Belmont, CU) that he produced significant results (>50% shooting). Overall, .333, .278, .625, 1.2 (FG%, 3P%, FT%, RPG) does not warrant more than 5 mpg and has nothing to do with what a coach "wants" besides winning.

Still hoping for good things down the road from AWIII, but his place on the team was earned just like everyone else.

Jack Wilson

dagger - I strongly disagree. Self repeatedly said that he deserved to play more. There are quotes from this website, he said it on Hawktalk, etc.

AW3 also was at or over 50% vs. SE Mo, Wash St., Ok. St. Against Ok. St, which you left off, he scored 6 points is less than one minute of play and nearly got us the victory. Big 3 pointer, steal, free throws, etc.

In a 5 game stretch where he averaged 11 minutes a game, (Oregon St., Colorado, Belmont, Richmond, and American -- he didn't play vs. Ohio St), White average .55 points per minute (more than 1/2 a point per minute). That average is better than any KU player did for the season. This was the only time he was able to get substantial playing time. He did not play perfect. I'm not saying that. But Self praised him during this stretch, after Oregon St. game saying he was by far the most effective player off the bench.

You also seem to think it's easy to come in dead cold and get into any rhythm. AW3 is a shooter. It's different than coming in and just taking up space (like Traylor). You are attempting to define his production because he didn't shoot a percentage that would justify playing more. That's ignoring reality of how shooters work. When he truly got an opportunity .. from Oregon St. through Richmond .. he proved he deserved playing time.

He was probably our best player in Europe vs. the decent competition there. White scored 10 points in 15 minutes, 16 pts in 25 min., 3 pts in 9 min., and 15 pts in 26 min. -- 44 points in 75 minutes .. again, more than 1/2 a point per minute played (.586). Comparable to his 5 game stretch when he average double-digit minutes (.550).

No KU player averaged over 1/2 a point per minute. McLemore was .495. Of course, I'm not suggesting AW3 would do this over the course of a season. But just giving a reference point. Relford, our third leading scorer, averaged just .352 points per minute played.

You cite "rebounds per game." Bad stat. Try rebounds per minute. His rebounds per minute for the season, even in sporadic playing time, was better than rotation guy Jamari Traylor, who played the 4 spot. And nearly double that of Releford, by the way.

He was just a guy who needed the opportunity to mature on the court as a player. Opportunity is the precursor to success.

jaybate

You have finally cleared a path through the thicket that lets me grasp your long advocates point. Thanks for persisting. I'm not on board yet, but you've made it so I can chew on it awhile and either change or find a flaw in it. A really good response to dagger's good post. You are both forcing the old dowderhead to some off season thought.

KansasComet

Excellent. I agree, he was just a guy who needed the opportunity to mature on the court as a player. Well said!

Michael Bratisax

2 years ago, UK wins it all with the #1 recruiting class and the next year bounced out of the NIT in the first round w/the #1 recruiting class.

Obviously (at least in hindsight) the '11 class was a cut above but I still believe it's team chemistry that makes the difference.

JayHawkFanToo

UK did not have the top class in 2012, UCLA did.

Boouk

Shortening the shot clock to 30 seconds would help teams like KU that run good offense quickly. On the other hand, teams that stand around for 30 seconds if there's nothing there in transition, like Kentucky, will be impaired.

Robert Brock

There are over 300 Division 1 schools. Most of those would look pretty ratty with a shorter shot clock - especially a 24-second clock.

Jack Wilson

Boouk: I get that it's kind of the "in" thing to do to criticize Kentucky, given the widespread inferiority complex that goes on around here as it relates to Kentucky. But you have obviously never watched Calipari coach, and you obviously have no understanding of what Kentucky does offensively. I read a comment like yours, and I am just puzzled as how you can even remotely believe that your statement is true.

dylans

I don't think the 30 second shot clock would impair the dribble drive offense at all. I think it would help UK by giving them more possessions. I think it would help KU also by reducing the a,out of time spent on defense. How many times did you watch KU play 33 seconds of good D only to give up a bucket? A shorter shot clock helps the more talented teams period.

ccarp

The shorter shot clock could help teams that run good defense like KU too.

Michael Bratisax

I hate to admit this...but I loved watching Dean Smith run 7-10 min off the game clock.

The game IS better w/the shot clock but it is where it should be now.

Robert Brock

If the idea is to get more scoring in the college game one consideration might be to call fouls on the grabbing, holding, forearm chucking, and other physical play that has become so common these days. For example, good defensive teams - like KU - don't just crowd cutters in the lane. They knock them off their stride. Back in the day that was whistled for a foul. And how did clubs control Jeff Withey? They held him or mugged him without penalty. Easy to officiate - just don't make any calls.

Dirk Medema

Maybe this is what Coach Self is talking about.

rockchalk_dpu

I just worry that "give a little more advantage to the offensive player" will translate into allowing offensive players get away with more of the aggressive play that led Marcus Smart to being so successful. His points rarely came from good shots or impressive breakdowns, but more often were the result of him using his fullback size and just bulldozing and out-physicalling the player guarding him, 'drawing contact,' and getting a foul call.

An offensive foul used to be when the offensive player created contact to their advantage, but more and more in college and especially the pros we see players rewarded for being out of control and shouldering or using the forearm to create separation for their move. I certainly don't like allowing the defender to mug the ballhandler without fear of a call (Aaron Craft), but I think it can go too far the other way where the offense gets too much leeway like receivers v. DBs in football.

The more the game gets into a physical match of strength and less into a skilled game, the less inclined I will be to watch it. It's no longer fun to watch games in which a better team gets beat not by a more skilled team, but by a less talented one that uses the "strategy" of hacking and fouling every trip down because they know the refs can't and won't call everything. The refs and rules committees need to make an effort to reign in the physical play by not rewarding it and requiring that coaches and players adjust.

John Smith

I am in favor of lowering the shot clock if it will reduce the number of games like you see in the Big Ten. Watching Wisconsin grind out another 55-50 win against an opponent because they go down the court and pass the ball around for 30 seconds before shooting isn't as entertaining as a faster paced game. Lower it to 30 seconds. It can only help.

Michael Bratisax

No..Respectfully disagree.

Anything that makes College BB more like the NBA is a bad idea. How long before we use a TO to move the inbound play past half court so we get that exciting last second shot?

The shorter-clock-guarantees-higher-scores theory is a fallacy. The last season with the 45-second clock in college basketball was 1993. The combined points per NCAA tournament game that year was 148.6. For this past tournament, with the 35-second clock, the average was 131.5.

The issue is not too few shots being taken, but too many lousy shots being missed. Only the Great Wall has more bricks than college basketball. The average shooting percentage this season was 43.30%, the lowest in 48 years.

If you want to 'fix' the game then do something about the physical onslaught going on out there. The contact allowed on defense that would make Nick Saban proud. The NCAA has been keeping foul statistics since 1948. There have never been fewer called than this season's 17.68 per team per game.

Jack Wilson

+1 .. excellent points.

jaybate

Frozen rope rising as it cleared the fence, glancing up off the head of a fat neck wearing a faded, made in China t-shirt stenciled "BUY AMERICAN", thence ricocheting over the fence and following gravity's rainbow and spidering the windshield of an Opel designed Chevy Cruze assembled of parts 90% sourced from Communist China with wages held down by a prison slave labor pool and landing on a webber sizzling with South American beef.

Damn right it's about the XTReme Chucking!

We are all Cool Hand Lukes caught up in a global panopticon where learned de-thinking is the coin of the realm.

What we have here is a failure to think it through!

ABeesus

It's been a long time since I saw the word 'panopticon' used! I think I'm shaped more like George Kennedy...

I don't understand the 'frozen rope' analogy. Would you please explain?

I hope it's not anti-rope-racism :)

Kurt Eskilson

I'm guessing that jb refers to the arc of a home-run ball ... indicating that the post he references is of top quality: a home run.

JakeBarnes

The Big 10s problem isn't passing the basketball, its problem is allowing teams to mug one another if a player is 6 feet or less from the basket.

mandomax

someone give HEM a hug!

nuleafjhawk

I'm quite sure this will be deleted quickly, but as long as we're talking politics and race, we may as well throw in some religion.

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

By the way - if we all would actually DO this, we wouldn't have to worry about the politics and race problems.

Peace.

jaybate

By...PHOF!

I like to think of the golden rule as an economic principle to help the self interested get on board with it. Imagine not having to budget for shop lifting in a business model. All products could be either 10% more profitable, or 10 % cheaper. Next, imAgine if we all followed the golden rule and did not need the world's military budgets. We could all be rich beyond our dreams. Eisenhower ascended to greatness I the military industrial complex but read his speech. He understood it was burning up the wealth of all of our futures. Thanks for your thought.

milehighhawk

These comments are more scattered than a Keegan column.

DanR

Agreed. By the way, I had a bagel for breakfast.

jayhawkinnc

I agree with CMill1221. The college game rules are fine (except for the alternate possession rule). We don't need a shorter shot clock. The college game went several seasons without a shot clock, then it went 8 years with a 45 second shot clock, to 20 years with a 35 second shot clock. Now, they want it to be 30 seconds? This game is getting more and more like the NBA-style of play.......especially with all of the ball screens on EVERY possession.

Brian Skelly

The reality is, college basketball has been dumbed down to the lowest common denominator. The 'good' is that it keeps more teams, players, coaches, media within contention/striking distance/whatever you wanna call it. It also gives media more stuff to talk about. Most would consider this a good thing, and Im likely one of them.

That said, it allows guys who are going to be social workers, accountants, teachers, lawyers, broadcasters to hang with guys with whom they really arent comparable players. Again, im okay with this. But dont pretended it actually makes the quality of play between the lines better, because it doesnt.

Off the ball contact is a huge factor in all this, and it needs to be reigned in -- significantly. The number of charges called in college is absolutely laughable... there are exponentially to many called. 3 outta 4 times the guy -- strictly according to the rules -- is almost never set under the offensive player. Yet those go to the defender in what seems to be at least 50% of the time... if not more. It's a joke. If thats how its going to be called, that that semi-circle under the basket (no charge zone) needs to be pulled out a few more feet. Sorry folks, its true. The irony to me is that ON the ball contact seems to be called less than it likely should be. Again, im okay with this, but this is another reason scoring is in the #$@%.

The ability to actually 'shoot' is at a premium to begin with. The level of fundamentals taught arent nearly as high as they used to be. Yet at the same time the athleticism of the players continues to go up. Attention to defense and positioning -- something that can be taught -- is way up to. The combination of all these things creates the brickfests we have today.

Look, the NBA went through this as well... and to some degree it still is. Allowing the better players to use their ability as opposed to having them get mugged constantly isnt a bad thing. The sooner the NCAA realizes that the better the quality of play will be.

jaybate

Another frozen rope! Thanks.

jgkojak

I'm good with 30 sec. shot clock. 24 seems like it doesn't work - the speed and precision of NBA players make it possible to go 24 - seems like the extra 6 seconds is about right to compensate for talent level.

I maybe wouldn't mind if they went w/the NBA 3 pt line - too many 3 pointers.

Dyrk Dugan

30 is fine...as long as they eliminate the five second count....it's redundant now, and it would be worse to keep that rule if they lower it to 30.

it's judgmental anyway (is the defense guarding close ENOUGH?) so one less thing the officials have to make a subjective call on the better.

also, the post must be cleaned up. if they want basketball to truly thrive as an offensive game, get rid of the pushing and mauling in the paint. You do that, and you'll see scoring go up and an emphasis on footwork and rebounding would be the key to being a good defensive club....not whether or not you can mug your opponent in the paint.

Tony Bandle

I say keep the shot clock as it is and just throw out another ball!! Can you just imagine the doubled excitement as your team dunks at the one end while simultaneously swatting a shot out of bounds on the other...and the crashes at mid-court between opposite running fastbreaks...glorious!!

IT WOULD BE BETTER THAN NASCAR!!!!!

texashawk10

I like the 30 second clock better than the 35 or 24 second clocks. It forces teams to run sets a little quicker without rushing them. Something I think would go a long way towards improving the quality of college play would be for state HS associations to adopt shot clocks. I know there are a few states including California and New York that do use a shot clock at the high school level, but most states don't use it and most major AAU tournaments don't use a shot clock either which I think hurts the quality of the game at that level and it trickles up from HS to college to the pros.

One other rule I would like to see changed is to move the 3 point line back to the FIBA distance of 22'-1". I think that would discourage some teams from just sitting back and launching 3's all game. It won't stop all teams from doing that, but I think that would force a lot of teams to play more offense than just running pick and pops or running through 2 or 3 screens to get a guy open for a 3. One of the most frustrating things to me is watching a mediocre shooting team sitting back and launching 25-30 3's a game and making 6 or 7 of them.

VaJay

I agree THawk. That would benefit us and force more college teams to play real basketball.

texashawk10

If you're going to troll that Wiggins is going somewhere besides his final 4 choices, at least make it a believable destination instead of Nebraska.

hawkdocNY

Have any of you read the McLemore/crooked AAU coach story? I am SO WORRIED about this. This is NOT GOOD.http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/big12/2013/05/04/kansas-jayhawks-ben-mclemore-darius-cobb/2131775/

Joseph Bullock

WOW, It is really pathetic to see all of the comments about racism in an article about basketball, that has nothing to do with racism. some of you people need to get a grip on your own lives! go into the proper forum for stuff like that. keep it out of our K.U. Sports sites. I bet when people like Missouri & K-State fans read this, and they laugh at all of you who made these comments. I don't laugh at them, I just say grow up and be more mature, and be more intelligent that to argue about that sort of thing, in a site like this! WOWWWWWWW
PS: Those who did this disrespected Mario, and took away big time, from his article!

Kevin Jenkins

Yes I am sure they are rolling on the ground. So many experts on the matter, except experts on the article about Little and basketball. Good to see a KU player doing good. Basketball is why I am logged on here. Basketball is the subject!!! Basketball is Rock Chalk!!