KU officially adds Anrio Adams to men's basketball team

Guard Anrio Adams. (Rivals.com contributed photo)

Video

Anrio Adams talks about why he chose KU and discusses the position he'll play

Video by Jesse Newell

Podcast

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self talks about nonconference schedule, Anrio Adams

Kansas coach Bill Self talked about his team's nonconference schedule, Anrio Adams and his position in the upcoming MLB All-Star ...

Listen to episode

Guard Anrio “Rio” Adams has signed a grant-in-aid agreement to play men’s basketball at Kansas University, KU coach Bill Self announced Thursday.

Adams was the state of Washington's Associated Press 3A player of the year while at Rainier Beach High School in Seattle last year. The 6-3, 180-pound Adams averaged 21 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds per game in leading Rainier Beach to a state title with a 27-3 record in 2011-12.

“Anrio has been committed to us since the fall,” Self said. “We elected not to sign him until he tightened up everything academically. He has done that and we’re very, very excited about having him here. He’ll take classes this summer session and will be able to participate beginning immediately in all the workouts that will proceed from this point forward.

“He’s a talented, talented combo guard. He can certainly score. He’s capable of being an elite guard.”

Adams, who orally committed to KU in November 2011, is a four-star recruit ranked No. 98 overall by Rivals.com. He also was the No. 22-ranked shooting guard by Rivals.com.

“Anrio comes from a program that we are very familiar with in Rainier Beach and coached by Mike Bethea,” Self said. “Mike Bethea has had many Div. I players and feels that Anrio is one of the very best he has had. We’re excited and he will certainly be an asset to our team and make us better.”

Former Jayhawks Rodrick Stewart and C.J. Giles also are alums of Rainier Beach High School.

“Anrio’s best basketball is ahead of him,” Bethea said. “He has a ton of talent and with him going to KU and listening to coach Self and the coaching staff, the sky is the limit.”

Adams becomes the eighth freshman on scholarship on the 2012-13 Kansas men’s basketball roster, joining Milton Doyle, Perry Ellis, Landen Lucas, Zach Peters and Andrew White.

Freshmen Ben McLemore and Jamari Traylor took red shirts in 2011-12 and practiced with KU starting in the second semester.

“I love the makeup of this team and especially the newcomers,” Self said. “This is going to be a young group that will rely heavily on the senior leadership of Elijah (Johnson), Travis (Releford), Jeff (Withey) and Kevin (Young) since they are the only players back with experience.”

Comments

irvan moore

great addition

Dave Benjamin

Being the optimist that I typically am, I'll say "Welcome to KU, Rio! We're excited to have you and look forward to your help in getting that 9th straight league title and 2nd straight Final Four berth!"

However, since my realistic side tends to kick in once the words "NCAA Clearinghouse" are uttered, my gut tells me I should be saying "Welcome to KU, Rio! I can't wait until we see you on the court in November, 2013!" The NCAA Clearinghouse evidently hates us and I'm bracing for disappointment. Hopefully, I'm wrong this time....

ahpersecoachingexperience

"...men’s basketball at Kansas"

Not Kansas University. I see you working LJW!

REHawk

Sounds good to me. Am happy that the midsummer waiting game has ended.
Welcome to Lawrence, Rio!

always_correct

What about Justin Wesley? Also, are two going to have to red shirt?

jakejayhawk

I am posting this again. Sorry for those who already read this on another article.

I believe the time has come for the NCAA to amend the rule regarding frosh getting cleared. I understand not letting them play and practice while grades and transcripts are under review. But the NCAA must change to allow the recruit to attend classes while they do the research.

Think about the possible outcomes. One, the recruit is ineligible to play but may attend school. He or she will sit out a year. Two, the recruit is eligible. That player will play. In either of these cases there is no justification to make the student miss classes. That is a crime for a young adult who is just beginning to adjust to a college environment.

The final possibility is that the player is ineligible for any support and must leave the school. Who is out in that scenario? The school loses. They fed, housed, and provided education for a young person who did not qualify. Where is the great harm in that?

I would sure like to see AD's, university Presidents, and fans get on this bandwagon. If the NCAA is for the student athlete (insert cynical comment here) then let them go to class. Everyone wins!

Ted Hume

...rather then Washington...? Really? Come on people--trolls and all--let's elevate the pre-K level grammar on this site a bit, if for no other reason than dispelling the hickish reputation inherent to our geographical positioning. This type of thing is, sadly, rampant on and endemic to these message boards, and honestly more than a little embarrassing.

Benjamin Piehler

Here, here.

DoctorTK

Apparently, sideline is not aware that marijuana has been decriminalized and available for medical use in the state of Washington.

CardHawkFan

Heard this kid is legit and will start day one. I am pretty excited about getting this kid on campus.

Jack Wilson

He mocks me ...

theboehr89

C.J. Giles, what a joke

Michael Pannacciulli

When he plays, he plays. He will be great. Can't wait.

ejlumus

I saw him play in the state tournament. Reminded me of JoJo.

REHawk

That 6'3" 180ish whippet in tennis shoes could turn into a 6'3" 200 pound ball of fire (standing in bare feet) after 24 months with Hudy and training staff. Seek and find this dear lady quickly, Rio. She can work wonders for your future earning power, as well as assist you to collect some championship rings enroute.